Death of King Fahd bin Abdulaziz Al Saud: August 1, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sean.~ said:
Thus far each King has been a son of Abdul Aziz, the 'founder' of the dynasty. As per a 1992 decree, the King can choose and withdraw a crown prince. The decree also states that second generation princes -- the grandsons of Abdul Aziz -- are legitimate candidates.
thanks I was confused...:cool:

Saudi King Fahd is laid to rest

_41368785_ap203bodycarry.jpg
The King's shrouded body was carried by relatives

King Fahd of Saudi Arabia, who died on Monday, has been buried after a funeral service in the Saudi capital Riyadh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4736935.stm#

LEADPIX1_020805.jpg

clear.gif
Saudi Prince Abdul Aziz bin Fahd, a son of the late King Fahd, carries with others the shrouded body of his father before performing special prayers at Riyadh's Turk bin Abdullah mosque on Tuesday. King Fahd died early on Monday, the Saudi royal court said. - AP

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/index00.asp

Pictures from the funeral

1. RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Pakistan's President General Pervez Musharraf (L) and Tunissian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali at the funeral the late King Fahd, at the Imam Turki bin Abdullah mosque in Riyadh 02 August 2005
2. RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Syrian President Bashar al-Assad attends the funeral of Saudi King Fahd in Riyadh 02 August 2005.
3. RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Brunei's Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah (C) sets next to Prince Rashid (R), brother of Morrocan King Mohammed VI, during the funeral of King Fahd in Riyadh 02 August 2005. Muslim world leaders joined ordinary Saudis to bid farewell to King Fahd at an austere funeral ceremony for the man who ruled the oil powerhouse for more than two decades. AFP PHOTO/Hassan AMMAR
4. RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Iraqi President Jalal Talabani (L), Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas (C) and Afghan President Hamid Karzai attend the funeral of Saudi King Fahd in Riyadh 02 August 2005.
5. RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Newly-annointed Saudi King Abdullah attends the funeral of his half-brother, the late King Fahd, at the Imam Turki bin Abdullah mosque in Riyadh 02 August 2005.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 5b.jpg
    5b.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 665
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 338
RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA: Saudi men pray over the body of King Fahd of Saudi Arabia at the Imam Turki bin Abdullah mosque in Riyadh 02 August 2005. Fahd died yesterday after 23 years of ruling the strategic Gulf state which is both the world's biggest oil exporter and the cradle of Islam. AFP PHOTO/HASSAN AMMAR

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 380
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 376
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 376
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 335
guests arrive for the funeral of King Fahd.
From Abaca press
1. Karzai of Afghanistan
2. Moulay Rachid of Morocco
3. Sultan Hassan al Bolkiah of Brunei
4. Sultan Qaboos of Oman
5. Tunisian pres. Abidine

Attachments

• Tunisian pres Zine el Abidine.jpg
    Tunisian pres Zine el Abidine.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 388
  • Sultan Qaboos, Oman.jpg
    Sultan Qaboos, Oman.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,790
  • Moulay Raschid.jpg
    Moulay Raschid.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 636
  • karzai.jpg
    karzai.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Sultan Hassan al Bolkiah.jpg
    Sultan Hassan al Bolkiah.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 558
  • 388850.jpg
    388850.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 358
From Newscom
1. CAPTION: Pakistan president P. Musharaf arrives with his entourage to attend the funeral ceremonies of late Saudi Arabian King Fahd, 02 August 2005. Dozens of heads of state from around the world gathered in Riyadh Tuesday for a funeral ceremony of Saudi Arabian monarch King Fahd marked by simplicity and heavy security.
2. CAPTION: Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf (R) is greeted by an unidentified Saudi official at the Imam Turki bin Abdullah mosque, where a prayer session for Saudi Arabia's King Fahd was held, in Riyadh August 2, 2005. Saudi Arabia's King Fahd was buried in a simple unmarked grave on Tuesday after a brief funeral to mourn the monarch who ruled the oil superpower for more than two turbulent decades.
3. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad arrives
4. King Abdullah of Jordan arrives for the funeral
5. Chinese delegation arrives
6. Czech President Vaclav Klaus arrives
7. Egyptian president Hosni Moubarak arrives
8. Lebanese delegation arrives
9. Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo arrives

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 330
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 400
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 344
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 357
Thanx Humera for posting the pictures , it was realy long day .

The new King's investiture is tomorrow right?
So far I've heard that Prince Charles, Chirac, and the US vice president will be there.

~*~Humera~*~ said:
The new King's investiture is tomorrow right?
So far I've heard that Prince Charles, Chirac, and the US vice president will be there.

Humera I didn't understand your question :eek: , my english not very good .

front.315681.jpg
العالم يودع الملك فهد
وسط حشد من القادة والزعماء العرب والأجانب، وآلاف السعوديين والمقيمين، الذين حرصوا على إلقاء النظرة الأخيرة، ودعت السعودية والعالم أمس، خادم الحرمين الشريفين الملك فهد بن عبد العزيز، الذي نعاه قادة العالم، بوصفه قائدا حكيما ذا بصيرة وشجاعة في اتخاذ القرار، حافظ على استقرار السعودية، وعمل على ازدهارها

The world say goodbye to the king Fahad

source http://www.asharqalawsat.com/

houri said:
Humera I didn't understand your question :eek: , my english not very good .

thats okay houri:)
I was referring to the ceremony officially installing/naming Abdullah as the new King. It will also be attended by world leaders. I had heard that its tomorrow (wednesday)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
thats okay houri:)
I was referring to the ceremony officially installing/naming Abdullah as the new King. It will also be attended by world leaders. I had heard that its tomorrow (wednesday)

oh now I understand you .
well it is today in ME 3 august but I don't think it will be any official ceremony to naming the new king
he just will receive the tribes leaders and a lot of people to receive their approval and support for him and continue receiving the condolences .

I saw in TV arriving of the king of Swedan and it was late in the night so maybe the king will receive him in the morning .

thanks for the pics everyone.

i am surprised us vice pres will be there --- i would think he would want to keep the distance and send a lower level person (in terms of heirarchy and media attention) in.

chirac, on the other hand, does not surprise me.

anyway, the funeral seemed very simple and yet very moving. there's something about seeing a king being buried simply --- without even a marker on his grave.

yes I thought that was a pretty humbling moment too, the King buried in an unmarked grave beside other royals and commoners. It may may not be so in real life but in death we are indeed all equal.

world reaction

From ANP Photo
1-3. Pakistani Christian children pray for late Saudi King Fahd (portrait) during a condolence ceremony in Islamabad, 02 August 2005. Pakistan will observe a week of national mourning over the death of Saudi King Fahd, during which the national flag will fly at half-mast. AFP PHOTO/Farooq NAEEM

4. A worker paints the Mosque of King Abdul Aziz Al Saud, father of King Fahd of Saudi Arabia in Marbella, 02 August 2005. The local authorities have demanded a three day mourning period following Fahd's death, a particular honour to one of Marbella's most enthusiastic holidaymakers. AFP PHOTO/ JOSÉ LUIS ROCA.

5-7. The closed entrance of Nahda Palace (El Rocio), the holiday residence of the King Fahd of Saudi Arabia in Marbella, southern Spain is pictured 02 August 2005. Marbella town hall has ordered three mourning days after the death of one of the most enthusiastic of its holidaymakers, who also kept a strong personal friendship with king Juan Carlos I of Spain. AFP PHOTO/ JOSÉ LUIS ROCA

8. The iman of Marbella's mosque (L) and local authorities are seen during a minute's silence in remembrance of King Fahd of Saudi Arabia in the city hall of Marbella, 02 August 2005. The local authorities have demanded a three day mourning period following Fahd's death, a particular honour to one of Marbella's most enthusiastic holidaymakers. AFP PHOTO/ JOSÉ LUIS ROCA.

9. A Spanish flag with a black wreath attached to it flutters in the wind, in memory of Saudi Arabia's King Fahd in Marbella, 02 August 2005. King Fahd owned a large property in Marbella, one of his many foreign residences.

Attachments

• 2910096.jpg
    2910096.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 344
  • 2910116.jpg
    2910116.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 309
  • 2910117.jpg
    2910117.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 2909908.jpg
    2909908.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 2909990.jpg
    2909990.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 274
  • 2909978.jpg
    2909978.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 2909977.jpg
    2909977.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 2909898.jpg
    2909898.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 2909862.jpg
    2909862.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 366
Legacy of King Fahd

Thanks to you all for sharing links and pictures. I have enjoyed them all.

Humera you in paricular fill this forum with some of the most interesting pics that can be found. You get a thumbs up for your extensive efforts. I am beginning to depend on you to bring it to us..no pressure there :)

For a very informative article about King Fahd please read Legacy of a King. The article is long, perhaps you would like to copy and paste it to a word doc and read at your leisure. It is very interesting reminder of the history of Saudi Arabia during the reign of King Fahd. For those that do not read Arabic, the article can be read in Asharq Alawsat Nwspaper, the English version link is:

http://www.asharqalawsat.com/english/news.asp?id=1071&section=3

A great leader, much loved by his people, King Fahd was the son of the founder of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, King Abdulaziz.

Born in 1922, King Fahd's life was one of positive achievement, both in the national and international arenas.

One of his first official engagements on behalf of Saudi Arabia was as a participant in the San Francisco conference that established the United Nations and of which Saudi Arabia was a founding member.

One of his first acts as king was the production of the Fahd Peace Plan. In the 1980's, he devoted his time to resolving Arab differences particularly between Algeria and Morocco. He was also the architect of the Taif Accord in 1989, which ended civil war in Lebanon. In the early 1990's, he led the Arab world in opposition to the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq.

Photos courtesy of Asharq Alawsat Newspaper

Attachments

• legacy 1.jpg
    legacy 1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 563
  • legacy 3.jpg
    legacy 3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 895
  • legacy 4.jpg
    legacy 4.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 735
  • legacy 5.jpg
    legacy 5.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 602
  • legacy 2.jpg
    legacy 2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 640
I have a question, what's the name of the Moroccan Prince on the right of the Sultan of Brunei? How is he related to King Mohammed VI?

Picture courtesy of Gettyimages

FuneralofKingFahd8.jpg

Attachments

• Funeral of King Fahd 8.jpg
    Funeral of King Fahd 8.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 389
saw yesterday on tv one of the 30 princes wipe his nose with his red/white chequerd "scarf". At least this gentleman has the good sense to use a handkerchief

houri said:
http://www.asharqalawsat.com/2005/08/03/images/front.315681.jpg

The world say goodbye to the king Fahad

source [url="http://www.asharqalawsat.com/"]http://www.asharqalawsat.com/[/url][/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
well susan , maybe because they was busy in burying their father so I am not sure they will think of the ( a handkerchief ) , and the gentleman you mention is the king .

Adminstrators please monitor

A much respected soverign King Fahd (may his soul rest in peace) has passed away and his legacy is proven, it can not be denied, they are the facts. He is respected and praised by many throughout the world. This respect is evidenced by the number of royals, dignitaries and common people that have traveled to Saudi Arabia for the sole purpose of offering condolences to his family and the people of Saudi Arabia.

This is neither the time or proper place for unproven unsubstaintiated disrespectful rumors. It will be up to the TRF Administrators to issue a warning if they deem these types of comments inappropriate and intolerable. My plea is that trollish behavior be ignored, they serve no value or purpose. Let us all try to maintain our dignity out of respect for our fellow posters and ourselves.

It would be a shame for a thread associated with the death of a king be locked/closed becasue members were disrespectful, hopefully we can avoid that fate.

Last edited:
It's against board rules to introduce politics and political opinions into threads. I hope that now some posts have been deleted, we can get back on topic and stay there.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

Last edited:
thank you Saba for such nice words :)

1-2. Riyadh, SAUDI ARABIA: Prince Sattam Bin Abdul Aziz (R), deputy of Riyadh's Prince, receives British Prince Charles upon his arrival at the airport in Riyadh 02 August 2005 to offer his condolences for the death of Saudi King Fahd. AFP PHOTO/Hassan AMMAR (Photo credit should read HASSAN AMMAR/AFP/Getty Images)

3-4. Riyadh, SAUDI ARABIA: Prince Sattam Bin Abdul Aziz( R), deputy of Riyadh's Prince, sees French President Jacques Chirac off at the airport in Riyadh 02 August 2005 during a trip to offer his condolences for the death of Saudi King Fahd. PHOTO/HASSAN AMMAR/AFP/Getty Images

5. Washington, UNITED STATES: World Bank president Paul Wolfowitz signs 02 August 2005 the condolence book for Saudi King Fahd (picture) who died in Riyadh 01 August, at the Saudi embassy in Washington. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM

6. Washington, UNITED STATES: Former CIA director George Tenet signs 02 August 2005 the condolence book for Saudi King Fahd (picture) who died in Riyadh 01 August, at the Saudi embassy in Washington. AFP PHOTO/Nicholas KAMM

7-8. ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN: Pakistani Prime Minister, Shaukat Aziz signs a condolence book at the Saudi embassy in Islamabad, 03 August 2005, below portraits of the late King Shah Fahd and his father the late King Abdul Aziz. Pakistan will observe a week of national mourning over the death of Saudi King Fahd, during which the national flag will fly at half-mast. AFP PHOTO/Farooq NAEEM

9. Washington, UNITED STATES: US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice signs an official book of condolences for Saudi King Fahd 03 August 2005 at the Saudi embassy in Washington as embassy officials look on in front of a picture of the new king Abdullah. AFP PHOTO/Paul J. RICHARDS

Attachments

• 53317468.jpg
    53317468.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 53317474.jpg
    53317474.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 298
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 212
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 6b.jpg
    6b.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 251
Sheikha Fatima travels to Riyadh

Sheikha Fatima was accompanied by Sheikha Shamsa, wife of H.H. Sheikh Rashid bin Ahmed Al Mualla, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Umm al-Qaiwain,Sheikha Salama bint Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan, wife of General Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces and Sheikha Alyazia bint Saif bin Mohammed Al Nahyan, wife of Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Culture and Informatio.
http://wam.org.ae/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_JSESSIONID=5e79841c55cc2501&pagename=WAM%2FWamLocEnews%2FW-T-LEN-FullNews&c=WamLocEnews&cid=1122994497306&p=1041248621847

Photo courtesy of WAM
Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed offers condolences

Attachments

• Mohbinzayed offers condolences.jpg
    Mohbinzayed offers condolences.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 939
From Polfoto

1. Britain's Prince Charles, right, gives his condolences for the death of late king Fahd to Riyadh ruler Prince Salman bin Abd al-Aziz Wednesday Aug. 3, 2005, at the royal place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. (AP Photo)

2. Britain's Prince Charles, right, gives his condolences for the death of late King Fahd to new Saudi King Abdullah, left, Wednesday Aug. 3, 2005, at the royal place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. At center is former Saudi ambassador to the U.S. Bandar Bin Sultan. (AP Photo)

3. A Saudi man holds traditional incense as tribal chiefs line up at the royal palace in Riyadh Wednesday Aug. 3, 2005 before they give oaths of loyalty to new King Abdullah in a traditional Islamic investiture ceremony that bestows his legitimacy. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

4-5. Saudi tribal chiefs crowd outside the royal palace in Riyadh Wednesday Aug. 3, 2005 before they give oaths of loyalty to new King Abdullah in a traditional Islamic investiture ceremony that bestows his legitimacy. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

6-8. Saudi King Abdullah, right, receives the oath of loyalty from a tribal chief on Wednesday Aug. 3, 2005 at the royal palace in Riyadh, in a traditional Islamic investiture ceremony that bestows his legitimacy. (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 335
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 276
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 326
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 322
This may be a rather funny question, but does anybody know what prayers were being said during the funeral?

Spicco said:
This may be a rather funny question, but does anybody know what prayers were being said during the funeral?

the traditional Islamic prayers said at anyone's funeral

King Abdullah Addresses Citizens

Riyadh, Aug 3, SPA -- The Custodian of the two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz has expressed sorrow and grief over the death of the Custodian of the two Holy Mosques King Fahd bin Abdulaziz
'King Fahd died after dedicating his time in pious deeds as well as in the service of his country and the Arab and Muslim causes', said King Abdullah in his address to the citizens.
'In this sad moment we pray to Almighty Allah to reward him for the great services he had extended to his country and nation', he noted
'When I shoulder responsibility after the death of King Fahd I feel it is a heavy burden, and it is a great responsibility, so I pray to Almighty Allah to enable me to go ahead on the path of the Kingdom's Founder King Abdulaziz Al-Saud and the path of his sons', said King Abdullah and added 'I promise you to take the Holy Quran as a constitution and Islam as a way of life'.
'I will dedicate my time for enhancing the pillars of justice and the service of all citizens without any discrimination', he said adding that 'I hope you will assist me in shouldering the responsibility, and provide me with your advices.'
'I pray to Almighty Allah to preserve the security of this country and to keep its people away from all evils', he added.
--SPA

After death of King Fahd. Photos from Corbis.

Attachments

• 42-15598463.jpg
    42-15598463.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 325
  • 42-15598486.jpg
    42-15598486.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 42-15598721.jpg
    42-15598721.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 42-15601577.jpg
    42-15601577.jpg