Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What could have said the new elected President to the ex-King ??

King Michael, as terrific as he is, does seem to have been more passive than necessary re: a possible restoration.

When Romanians demonstrate in the streets in favor of monarchy, does he show up? No.

Did he play any role in 1989 or when subsequent constitutional debates have taken place? No.

Does he advocate for monarchy? No, other than saying, "if the people want me, I'll return," which is passive.

With that, how could anyone expect a restoration? The Hohenzollerns must have been more proactive in the 1800s when they originally got the throne. I've never gotten a new job without pushing hard for it, and the same applies to the job of King.

Had King Michael acted in such a way, it is unlikely that he would have been allowed to return to his country. The previous Romanian governments made it difficult enough for him to visit after the fall of Communism. The King and his family have been wise about how they have conducted themselves - the Romanian people would be responsible for restoring the monarchy if that is what was truly desired.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree with the assessment that King Mihai is passive in the royalist cause. It is mainly thanks to unstoppable efforts of Princess Margarita and her spouse that the Royal House has not sunk away in obscurity.

Had King Michael acted in such a way, it is unlikely that he would have been allowed to return to his country. The previous Romanian governments made it difficult enough for him to visit after the fall of Communism. The King and his family have been wise about how they have conducted themselves - the Romanian people would be responsible for restoring the monarchy if that is what was truly desired.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Pre-1997 or whenever (when the government forbade them from returning), sure, it was good to be silent. But the King should (1) be more present in the country- at least spend most all of the time there, rather than only a few months a year, (2) be more present at public events and (3) have others who advocate for restoration if he isn't willing to do it himself.

If I lost my job and people were demonstrating in the streets for me to get it back, I'd sure be at those demonstrations!

He should also treat the Royal Family's activities like a political campaign. If he wants to be restored, he needs to have a game plan, advisors and a pathway to doing so, just like politicians have.

King Michael is a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful person and as his actions while he was King show, he's not a wimp. He could do more, and given polls showing how popular he is, he has a huge amount of goodwill among the people that would help him accomplish what we all want.

Please remember HM is 93 and somewhat frail and the Queen isn't well. Margarita and Nicholas are doing a good job of being publicly active.

The new generations are not so popular as the King.

The position of the Royal Family regarding the issue of the Restoration convinced many royalists it's useless to ask for Monarchy.
The position is as fair as it can be. They are very wise that they are not pushing on this matter, otherwise the monarchy it will look like an impose one (almost like the republic was imposed by Russians at the end of WW2)
But the Royal Family is very active on charity, diplomatic events etc. Those are more visible than any propaganda
The moment all romanian royalist is waiting is near.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The position is as fair as it can be. They are very wise that they are not pushing on this matter, otherwise the monarchy it will look like an impose one (almost like the republic was imposed by Russians at the end of WW2)
But the Royal Family is very active on charity, diplomatic events etc. Those are more visible than any propaganda
The moment all romanian royalist is waiting is near.

How do you know is near?

How do you know is near?
I don't. I just feel it based on some logical arguments.
1.In Romanian Constitution it is written that the president should be non political (neutral) and a referee between parties and institutions. But he was not. We are a semipresidential republic meaning we have a president and a prime minister who run the executive power. President is elected by electors and the prime minister is invested by president from the party or coalition who has the majority in Parliament. After the president is elected he lose the party membership and should remains neutral
But all the presidents after 1989 acted like party presidents not like nation presidents. They always promoted the party who supported them in election to accede the power and run the executive power and meantime using all the ways and influence to break the Parliament majority and create a new majority for the party which actual president was the member before. From this point of view always in Romania was a political war stage and people had enough. They want stability. This war had negative impact also in economy and other areas
2. All presidents have a view as corrupted people. Because all of them has used the influence to make their families or their election sponsors to accumulate wealth
Monarchy have grew in all these last 25 years from an under 10% to over 30% because many and many is seeing monarchy as the alternative of stopping all above and not only. And please take into account that all this grow was made in conditions that monarchy does not have any support from the mass media. Each new president and all the actions and corruption he brings diminished the support for actual republic format and grew support for monarchy as alternative.
This is why I say monarchy is near
Merry Christmas to you all

Last edited:
I don't. I just feel it based on some logical arguments.
1.In Romanian Constitution it is written that the president should be non political (neutral) and a referee between parties and institutions. But he was not. We are a semipresidential republic meaning we have a president and a prime minister who run the executive power. President is elected by electors and the prime minister is invested by president from the party or coalition who has the majority in Parliament. After the president is elected he lose the party membership and should remains neutral
But all the presidents after 1989 acted like party presidents not like nation presidents. They always promoted the party who supported them in election to accede the power and run the executive power and meantime using all the ways and influence to break the Parliament majority and create a new majority for the party which actual president was the member before. From this point of view always in Romania was a political war stage and people had enough. They want stability. This war had negative impact also in economy and other areas
2. All presidents have a view as corrupted people. Because all of them has used the influence to make their families or their election sponsors to accumulate wealth
Monarchy have grew in all these last 25 years from an under 10% to over 30% because many and many is seeing monarchy as the alternative of stopping all above and not only. And please take into account that all this grow was made in conditions that monarchy does not have any support from the mass media. Each new president and all the actions and corruption he brings diminished the support for actual republic format and grew support for monarchy as alternative.
This is why I say monarchy is near
Merry Christmas to you all

The new president is very popular while the support from Monarchy seems to be around 20%.

The new president is very popular while the support from Monarchy seems to be around 20%.
Yes indeed. But always was like that. The popularity of new president was very high because the expectations are very high. The people hopes that new one will repair what old one has broken
Always was like that. And this is the reason of the popularity
But in the next 6 months this new one will start to broke also(all the predecessors did the same).

Is nothing new. Look at Obama. Or look at my country: François Hollande is the most impopular president ever, yet the majority has chosen him once... ;)

Don't you think that once they, presidents, get in that seat of power and have a taste of that, then they forget who put them there and forget what is expected of them. This seems to be the way of presidents elected, yet with a monarchy ie. QE11 of England, she has never forgotten her position in life and has worked very hard for the people. I think that this would be the case in Romania as they, the royal family, has continued to work for the people.
I am very disgusted with my government, be they republican or democrat for they are all doing the same thing, blaming each other for the same problems that they themselves have created.

True.
The royal family works for the nation. Presidents works mainly for the sponsors from campaign

How will be the popularity of the King's Family when he won't be in this world anymore?

How will be the popularity of the King's Family when he won't be in this world anymore?

From an outsider's perspective, Crown Princess Margarita is beautiful and makes a very good impression. So does Prince Nicholas; he seems like Romania's version of Princes Harry and William. I'd happily have either of them as my Queen or King, if I were Romanian.

The rest of the younger generations of the Royal Family don't seem to have shown much interest in restoration or Romania.

Princess Margareta is no. 2 in succession. Prince Nicolae (which is his Romanian name) is the third. That is why they are in the light of cameras
According with royal Romanian Constitution from 1923 only male can reign. King Mihai internally has changed the rule and nominated Margareta as the second in succession. Also he asked the Parliament in case of restauration to modify the Constitition to allows also female to reign
BTW Princess Margareta looks amazing at her 65 years. You may say is 20 years younger

Certainly Nicolae de Roumanie is much more popular than other new generation members of the Royal Family. Princess Margareta is very respected but her husband is not accepted by some royalists.

Last edited:
A journalist from the well known neswpaper "Adevarul" considers the Royal Family won the Peles Castle but lost Romania:

Casa Regală a câştigat Peleşul, dar a pierdut România | Daniel Gorgonaru | adevarul.ro

Thank you for the link.

It is worth mention that columnist Daniel Gorgonaru, author of said piece, has only worked at Adevărul since November 2014. Before this, he was the editor-in-chief of tabloid Libertatea. Gorgonaru saves mention of Peleş until the second to last sentence in his "article," and there he criticizes King Michael for the fact that the Romanian government chose to return to His Majesty the personal property that was stolen from him by the Communists after they forced him to abdicate at gunpoint and then exiled him from his country--an absolutely absurd line of reasoning.

Further, the comments section does reflect that many readers seem to recognize the clearly anti-monarchist agenda of Daniel Gorgonaru and are not in agreement with his statements.

Last edited:
I do not feel that the Royal Family has lost anything: on the contrary, they arrived as strangers and seem to be steadily winning hearts and minds through their dedication and devotion.

If Romanians do decide to restore their monarchy, it will be due to the esteem they hold for their King but also to the hard work of the younger members of his family in showing just what a royal family can contribute to the life of a nation.

What will change in Romania with a King or a future Queen ? Nothing..

What will change in Romania with a King or a future Queen ? Nothing..
It will change everything. First of all it will be a restoration of the government form existing before Russian introduced republic by force
Romanian people never been asked if they want a republic by any referendum. The abolishment was decided by using power
That's why Romanian royalist says the actual republic is not a legitimate one.
Also because the roots of romanian republic are rotten this can been seen as effects in corruption, bad politics etc

Romania has an elected President.
How many people are royalist in Romania and what is their legitime power .

Do we have Romanian Members in this Forum??

Yes I am romanian. According with some pools royalty is supported by around 20-30% of population
Yes indeed it is an elected president but as I said the government form itself (republic) can be put in discussion because never the romanian people have been asked if they want to change the government form
Also the king abdication being made under force and blackmail can be argued

Last edited:
I do not feel that the Royal Family has lost anything: on the contrary, they arrived as strangers and seem to be steadily winning hearts and minds through their dedication and devotion.

If Romanians do decide to restore their monarchy, it will be due to the esteem they hold for their King but also to the hard work of the younger members of his family in showing just what a royal family can contribute to the life of a nation.
At 51 years of age, I'm still in amazement at times that the former monarchs of Romania and Bulgaria along with the Serbian CP are welcome in their homelands. Not only welcomed but they're permitted to reside there and contribute to society. Countries that some members of their families had never visited in their lifetimes. It's something I would have laughed at 25 years ago.

Perhaps their Country is nowadays known because their Royals are living in.
Their Concert had as guest Archduke Lorenz , Prince of Belgium.

Political figures in attendance were Prime Minister Victor Ponta, President of the Romanian Senate Călin Popescu-Tăriceanu and former President Emil Constantinescu.

Among the Politicians they may have some nostalgics of Roumanian Past or Decorum lovers.
By the way still no curtains in the main room of the Palace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom