Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anybody know who the man is sitting next to the Prince of Venice (not AD Karl)? He looks like a duke of Wurttemberg. I believe that Archduke Georg is also in the congregation.

Last edited:
Only Prince Eberhard of Wurttemberg is present. Archduke Georg of Habsburg is at the Funeral too.

Being Greek and for that reason feeling close to the way of thinking of the Balkan peoples in general, I must say I am also impressed but not at all surprised by the warmth and sincere feelings of the Romanian people towards this exceptional man, who was their King and who suffered many treasons within his own family, but who always placed Romania and the Romanian people above his own personal interest. I also believe that, having lived under the suppressive communist dictatorship, they are in a position to judge and come to the conclusion that this man represented the monarchist ideals and he lived in an exemplary way, devoted to his people and to their well-being...he deserves every honour he is given today and the past few days..

Interesting seating arrangements with Nicholas separated from his immediate family by Prince Georg of PrussIa.

Regarding the place Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills had in the Cathedral probably these were the arrangements asked by Elisabeta Palace. I do not think the Orthodox Church prepared " the order of precedence".

So, Elisabeth Maria didn't come at all? And why didn't Alexander McAteer walk next to his wife in the funeral procession? This family remains a mystery to me...

Watching Margareta say goodbye to the Royal representatives was very moving. Queen Sofia was very emotional and (if my lip reading skills are still any good) Queen Anne Marie said “He would be so proud of you”.

Being Greek and for that reason feeling close to the way of thinking of the Balkan peoples in general, I must say I am also impressed but not at all surprised by the warmth and sincere feelings of the Romanian people towards this exceptional man, who was their King and who suffered many treasons within his own family, but who always placed Romania and the Romanian people above his own personal interest. I also believe that, having lived under the suppressive communist dictatorship, they are in a position to judge and come to the conclusion that this man represented the monarchist ideals and he lived in an exemplary way, devoted to his people and to their well-being...he deserves every honour he is given today and the past few days..

The people needs a symbol like He was and these days proved that. After the dark age of communism and the disappointments and the corruption brought by the last 27 years the King was a sign of hope, of dignity. Let's hope his grandson Nicolae will be seen by the Romanians exactly in the same way and he will have the opportunity to continue now the work of his royal grandfather.

I hardly think today is the appropriate time to constantly promote Nicholas in every post.

Very touching and moving funeral service. You could really feel the grief, especially in the eyes of Margareta.

Also very nice to see the presence of the President and his wife and that the republic country granted their former royal head of state, who still means a lot to so many, a full state funeral. That's respect !

Rest In Peace Your Majesty

It seems that the Romanian republic, its politicians and people, in close collaboration with the royal famiky, found an admirable way to honor their former king. I am also glad that Mihai was invited back to Romania and even asked to speak to parliament several years ago to experience the esteem his people had for him.

Very touching and moving funeral service. You could really feel the grief, especially in the eyes of Margareta.

Also very nice to see the presence of the President and his wife and that the republic country granted their former royal head of state, who still means a lot to so many, a full state funeral. That's respect !

Rest In Peace Your Majesty

I was so moved by Margareta today. It must have been an incredibly difficult task to lead her family in that way but she did it so well. I hope that Her Majesty will find some peace and comfort in the days ahead.

It seems that the Romanian republic, its politicians and people, in close collaboration with the royal famiky, found an admirable way to honor their former king. I am also glad that Mihai was invited back to Romania and even asked to speak to parliament several years ago to experience the esteem his people had for him.

More republics are pretty generous when it comes to that. Remember the funerals of Empress Zita, Archuchess Regina and Archduke Otto in Austria, the various reburials of members of the tsarist family in Russia, or funerals in former German principalities where almost always the "successor" to these principalities (the Bundesländer) are officially represented, etc.

I was so moved by Margareta today. It must have been an incredibly difficult task to lead her family in that way but she did it so well. I hope that Her Majesty will find some peace and comfort in the days ahead.

The entire day has been almost surprisingly emotional, visibly so for the family, but equally for the large masses of people who turned out on the streets and who followed the broadcasts live. The adoration for the King, but today also towards the entire Royal Family was so visible, and I thought it was especially touching to see the elder royals of Europe show such affection and emotion towards the Custodian of the Crown and her sisters.

A very moving and fitting tribute to a King who was appreciated and adored, and an appropriate goodbye to one of the few men who were left from pre-WWII public service.

It seems to be true that Nicholas and Alina de Roumanie Medforth Mills were not invited to be with the rest of the King's Family on the Royal Train to Curtea de Arges. Sad really.

It seems to be true that Nicholas and Alina de Roumanie Medforth Mills were not invited to be with the rest of the King's Family on the Royal Train to Curtea de Arges. Sad really.

Perhaps ordinary Romanians will see beyond this sad lapse in familial love.

It has been a day full of very strong and deep emotions. His Late Majesty has been given a funeral worthy of his stature as an exceptional man and paid the honour he was due by his people. My thoughts are with his loved ones, particularly his daughters, so obviously distraught, who certainly did their father proud today. Margareta displayed the dignity and integrity of her father; she has all the makings of a Queen, in my opinion. May the family come together in the coming months and build on their father's legacy together.

I hardly think today is the appropriate time to constantly promote Nicholas in every post.
I agree with you on that! I just hope and wish for this family the best! They are the successors of a very decent man, so they should do their best to arrange things privately, as a family. I believe Nicolae has still a lot to learn from his aunt Margareta and she must give him a guiding hand for the good of the Romanian people.

Bravo to all Romanian's, who have found a way to accord his Late Majesty [and his family] the dignity and respect required at the passing of a great Monarch.

The attendance, by both 'the great and the good', and by 'ordinary' citizens was remarkable, and heartwarming.

I hope the Royal family are inspired by this to put aside their differences and rally round to put their cause and that of Romania ABOVE their past squabbles.

Last edited:
The Romanians rediscovered today their full history and their identity and this day could represent a new beginning being inspired by the principles of the King's life.

The Romanians rediscovered today their full history and their identity and this day could represent a new beginning being inspired by the principles of the King's life.

Eeerrrrmmm.... you are aware that the whole Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947) had almost the same duration as the reign of Queen Elizabeth II alone? Let us not overreact as if the monarchy was the "full history" or the "identity" of the Romanians. Today was an emotional day, the definitive end of what was a chapter in Romania's history. But in the long and turbulent history of Romania, the Kingdom was just an intermezzo, shorter than a human life, this to balance it a bit.

Last edited:
I noticed at the ceremony in Royal Palace that Prince Radu was crying, wasn't he?

The ceremony was so regal and full of emotions. I will miss H.M. The King very much.

Eeerrrrmmm.... you are aware that the whole Kingdom of Romania (1881-1947) had almost the same duration as the reign of Queen Elizabeth II alone? Let us not overreact as if the monarchy was the "full history" or the "identity" of the Romanians. Today was an emotional day, the definitive end of what was a chapter in Romania's history. But in the long and turbulent history of Romania, the Kingdom was just an intermezzo, shorter than a human life, this to balance it a bit.

Romanians have always had Monarchy even if we speak about Princes or later Longs. The identity of the people is connected with this history.

Last edited:
Cory ,That is not true , when I was in Romania young people absolutely don't know that there was a monarchy before and even the crown Princess is unknown.

Back
Top Bottom