Death and Funeral of King Michael, 5th & 16th December 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who was the other young man with the family at the funeral? Possibly the son of one of the other sisters?

Who was the other young man with the family at the funeral? Possibly the son of one of the other sisters?

That was Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia.

I just watched the segment where the Romanians are saying goodbye to their foreign relatives after the ceremony in the square in front of the Royal Palace had ended. Queen Sofía particularly embraced and hugged Princess Sophie, who is in fact her goddaughter. That whole portion of the funeral was extremely moving.

Benjamin: Thank you...but I meant the young man who was with the family at the airport and throughout the day. One of the sisters was leaning on his arm part of the time. (I'm familiar with Prince Georg.)

In your post #327, his face is in the video with Nicholas.

Probably one of the few close to Nicolas de Roumanie Medforth Mills in this Family.

Not only in Romania I fear ;).

I read that the train was very symbolic indeed. In january 1948 it was used to transport King Michael and his mother out of the country & into excile. Now the very same train was used to bring the king to his final resting place, in Romania. The train was made in Italy in 1928 for King Ferdinand.

--

Hans Jacobs -GDP press journalist and owner of royalblog- reminded us: it was a missed chance for the house of Orange. In the spirit of Queens Wilhelmina & Juliana and Prince Bernhard they could have paid tribute to a man who courageously brought his country into the camp of the Allies during WWII.

I agree with Hans Jacobs. It was a rare no-show from the Dutch Royal House on a funeral. Yes to Bundespräsident Von Weiszäcker, yes to Prince Kardam of Tirnovo, yes to former Queen Anne of Romania, no to former King Michael of Romania? There will have been a reason. Agenda? Princess Beatrix seems not to be a person to opt out for nothing and she was the most obvious choice, together with her nephew the Duke of Parma.

Last edited:
There is any official explanation for the absence of the Dutch Royals and of the Bourbon-Parme?

There is any official explanation for the absence of the Dutch Royals and of the Bourbon-Parme?

No. The King and Queen have sent condoleances. The King's Ambassador in Romania has signed the Book of Condoleances at Elisabeta Palace and did attend the funeral.

What about the Bourbon-Parme Princes?

I am happy these Funerals are over .
4 hours Broadcast Editie Speciale from the Romanian TV was propaganda for the whole world.
Pathetic also a copy of the Crown on his Coffin.
But deep sorrow from his Daughters .

What about the Bourbon-Parme Princes?

Maybe Grand-Duke Henri (also a Prince de Bourbon de Parme) did represent the Duke of Parma as well during the funeral?

After all no one from Luxembourg did attend the funeral of former Queen Anne (despite the late Queen and Grand-Duke Jean being full cousins).

Back then it was the Duke of Parma who was the one in attendance at the funeral. After the news of the passing of former Queen Anne, a spokesman of the Duke informed the media: "Prins Carlos is diep geraakt door het heengaan van deze lieve tante, die voor hem persoonlijk en voor zijn familie veel betekend heeft" ("Prince Carlos is deeply touched by the passing of this sweet aunt, who has meant a lot to him personally and to his family.") Link. Now we have not heard any statement from the Duke.

Last edited:
The Grand Duke is not known for being close to the Duke of Parma and he would not represent as a reigning Monarch a non-reigning Duke.

The Grand Duke is not known for being close to the Duke of Parma and he would not represent as a reigning Monarch a non-reigning Duke.

How do you know he was not close and how do you know he would not hand over the condoleances on behalf of the House de Bourbon de Parme?

A reigning Sovereign does not represent a non reigning Duke.

Which will be the consequences of the historic days of the funeral of the King?Will more people support Monarchy?Will the politicians want to speak seriously about the return of the Monarchy?Will the King's Family find reconciliation?

I have witnessed a similar outpouring of grief when the Mayor of Amsterdam died after a lost battle against cancer, a few weeks ago. After this outpouring all goes by the normal order of the day again.

The massive interest for the funeral of Otto von Hansburg, with countless documentaries, obitituaries, discussion programs and an international live broadcast has not changed any comma in the situation: Austria is and remains a republic. And that while the Habsburgers were centuries and centuries part of the national DNA.

Romania will remain a republic. Princess Margareta and Radu Duda have a realistic view on that. It is surrealistic to think that a short period which ended 70 years ago will be "restored", meaning that the Republic votes its own institutions of state down.

Last edited:
In 27 years there have never been so many debates about the restoration of Monarchy as these days.

To be honest the death of the King surely makes it less likely that the monarchy will be restored - who would want to put his daughter who didn't grow up in the country in the position of Head of State. At least Michael had the right to say he was once King of the country. I think the Romanians are already doing the best thing - having some sort of role for the former RF but keeping a President as Head of State.

To be honest the death of the King surely makes it less likely that the monarchy will be restored - who would want to put his daughter who didn't grow up in the country in the position of Head of State. At least Michael had the right to say he was once King of the country. I think the Romanians are already doing the best thing - having some sort of role for the former RF but keeping a President as Head of State.

The royalists certainly do not support a compromise in order to see some descendants of the King serving the republic. The funeral had a big impact on the society and the debate about Monarchy does not seem to end but to grow.

I agree. Romania has the best of the two worlds. A democratic head of state ánd a former royal family for "the theatre of state". Other pretenders can only DREAM of such an opportunity.

The situation of Willem-Alexander, Carl XVI Gustaf or Margrethe II is not that much different. They are as symbolic and as ceremonial as Margareta. When the dot comes on the i, these "reigning" Sovereigns are as powerless as Margareta.

I would not mind the Netherlands to become a republic with a ceremonial role for the House of Orange-Nassau. It takes away an existential deficit, namely that the highest office of state is not democratically elected.

Last edited:
I agree. Romania has the best of the two worlds. A democratic head of state ánd a former royal family for "the theatre of state". Other pretenders can only DREAM of such an opportunity.

The situation of Willem-Alexander, Carl XIV Gustaf or Margrethe II is not that much different. They are as symbolic and as ceremonial as Margareta. When the dot comes on the i, these "reigning" Sovereigns are as powerless as Margareta.

I would not mind the Netherlands to become a republic with a cerenonial role for the House of Orange-Nassau. It takes away an existential deficit, namely that the highest office of state is not democratically elected.

Romania is a republic not a Monarchy. There is nothing in the Constitution about Monarchy.

Romania is a republic not a Monarchy. There is nothing in the Constitution about Monarchy.

Ja, und?

Of course Romania is a republic. And it will stay a republic. When Margareta and Radu manage to carve out a meaningful role for the former royal family: applause to them. Quite an achievement.

The so-called "monarchies" in Europe are in reality "crowned republics" anyway. Felipe VII is powerless without Prime Minister Rajoy. It is Theresa May who decides if Queen Elizabeth has to welcome Trump or not. King Willem-Alexander can do zero comma zero when the Prime Minister does not back him. It is all just a theatre of state, effectively.

Ja, und?

Of course Romania is a republic. And it will stay a republic. When Margareta and Radu manage to carve out a meaningful role for the former royal family: applause to them. Quite an achievement.

The so-called "monarchies" in Europe are in reality "crowned republics" anyway. Felipe VII is powerless without Prime Minister Rajoy. It is Theresa May who decides if Queen Elizabeth has to welcome Trump or not. King Willem-Alexander can do zero comma zero when the Prime Minister does not back him. It is all just a theatre of state, as long as it is still accepted and tolerated.

To say that a constitutional Monarchy is a sort if republic does not really reflect the reality. They are different systems of government and the symbolism is extremely different.
Regarding those that want to support the republic it is their choice and has nothing to do with the Dynasty that started its path in Romania in 1866.
The future is quite hard to read and certainly all possibilities remain opened.

We have a Royal Magazine called Point de Vue.
Last Week its front page was Johnny Hallyday and 20 pages inside for 12 pages about our late King Baudouin's Funerals
This Week again front page Johnny's Funerals at Saint Barthélemy with promise of printing Kng Michael's Funeral next WeeK.
I wonder if the late and last King will have Point de Vue's frontpage

Last edited:
This saturday January 13 at 12 o'clock the Royal Family will take part in the forty-day service from the death of King Mihai.
The service will be officiated by His Holiness Archbishop Calinic of Arges and Muscel and will take place in the Old Episcopal and Royal Cathedral at the Curtea de Arges Monastery.

Parastasul de 40 de zile, la Curtea de Argeș | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Were Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills and his wife invited?

Were Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth Mills and his wife invited?

It is not yet the 13th of January. How can we say? And if he is not there, even then we will not know if Nicholas was actually invited or not.

Back
Top Bottom