Swedish Royal Family, Current Events Part 2: December 2004 - December 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting article...as you know (when you read in the TV-thread) this evening the programme "Royal and young" (ung & kunglig) will be broadcasted. Expressen tells, what will happen in the programme. Among other things the Royal children talk about each other:

Victoria om Carl Philip:
"Han har ett väldigt stort hjärta. Han är dessutom väldigt snäll och en oerhört varm person. Duktig och otroligt envis. Han är också en dålig förlorare och en riktig mammagris."
Victoria about CP:
He has a very big heart. He´s except that also very nice and a real warm person. Good and unbelievable stubborn. He´s also a "bad loser" and a real momma´s boy (I guess, Mammagris is that...literally it means something like "Mummy´s pig(let)")

Madeleine om Carl Philip:
Han är världens bäste killkompis.
Madeleine about Cp:
He´s the world´s best friend.

Carl Philip om Madeleine:
Det är en snäll och rar flicka. Hon är bestämd och envis.
CP about Madeleine
This is a kind-hearted and nice girl. She´s very resolute and stubborn

Madeleine om Victoria:
Typisk storasyster. Har alltid tagit hand om oss. Omtänksam och tar plikten seriöst. Engagerar sig, kanske dock lite för sträng som storasyster.
Madeleine about Victoria:
Typical big sister. She has always taken care of us. Considerately and she takes her duties seriously. Very engaged, maybe though a little bit too strict/stern as big sister

The article also tells about our most discussed topic here...Wedding or not.
Victoria admits, that Daniel is her boyfriend. And she says, what will happen, when she´s engaged:
There will probably be a press release and and a press conference.
And then she adds fast: If and when I´m in this situation

Hm, the Lena-interpretation-service thinks, that it seems, that she has already thought about that a lot :rolleyes:

http://www.expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=236841

Last edited:
Lena said:
Very interesting article...as you know (when you read in the TV-thread) this evening the programme "Royal and young" (ung & kunglig) will be broadcasted. Expressen talks, what happens in the programme. Among other things the Royal children talk about each other:

Victoria about CP:
He has a very big heart. He´s except that also very nice and a real warm person. Good and unbelievable stubborn. He´s also a "bad loser" and a real momma´s boy (I guess, Mammagris is that...literally it means something like "Mummy´s pig(let)")

This is the impression we have received from watching CP and some of the reasons, he is so popular among some members on TRF.

Dennism said:
This is the impression we have received from watching CP and some of the reasons, he is so popular among some members on TRF.

Yes, we all want momma´s boys/homeboys...there´s nothing better than an overprotective mum-in-law ;)

Well, maybe not the momma´s boys part entirely but a man´s relationship with his mother is very important and if it´s close then, studies have shown, that he will make a better husband.

A boy´s mother is his best friend. cough cough. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, for those members not familiar with that line, it comes from that classic(although not his best film) by Alfred Hitchcock called "Psycho". It is not, despite one member´s(Austrian and female, he notes innocently) insinuation, a phrase ever uttered in public by the current Prince of Asturias. In private we are not so sure.

A while back there was a picture of Victoria at Colourpress. Does anybody have those pictures? I was unable to get in as it requires login/password. thanks

GrandDuchess said:
Official Engagements Week 6 (7-13 February)

Tuesday 8/2

> H.M. The King
Precedence: Thomas Ihre, The Swedish Order of St. John
The Royal Palace of Stockholm
Question : what is the court (or you) trying to say with the word "precedence" ?

Last edited:
Do not know but according to a site I found the St.John Order is part of the Knights of Malta and "The Order supports the elderly and sick and cooperates with Swedish hospitals, charitable organisations and Christian communities. It is also involved in international work with refugees, political prisoners and the sick."

Dennis,

the word "precedence" comes up several times in the official engagements calendar as presented by GrandDuchess above.

But thanks for expanding on what the St.John Order is and what it does.

Did some investigating. It has several meanings and variants including precedence. The correct translation though is equivalent to the English "audience". Thus, the various groups and organizations have an audience with Carl XVI Gustaf.

Last edited:
hrhcp said:
Question : what is the court (or you) trying to say with the word "precedence" ?
The Swedish word for 'precedence' is 'företräde' - and I believe that it's a very old use of an occurence at the Court (although I believe different words have been used). The Monarch giving precedence, means that the person given the precedence has an "option" at the Palace - the person is given priority.

Dennism said:
Did some investigating. It has several meanings and variants including precedence. The correct translation though is equivalent to the English "audience". Thus, the various groups and organizations have an audience with Carl XVI Gustaf.
Audience is not quite the same thing I believe. I think an 'audience', 'audiens' in Swedish, is of a more official nature. But I'm not sure about the differences either, since I don't know that much Court protocoll.

O, well. I was wrong. It doesn´t make sense to be audience then because we would see that listed next to most entries in the calendar. But we don´t. So it must be precedence. More mazes in the Swedish language for me.

GrandDuchess said:
The Swedish word for 'precedence' is 'företräde' - and I believe that it's a very old use of an occurence at the Court (although I believe different words have been used). The Monarch giving precedence, means that the person given the precedence has an "option" at the Palace - the person is given priority.
I would "buy" that if it was a last minute addition to the court calendar. But, in comparison to their Danish and Norwegian peers, the Swedish calendar is imho pretty sparse.

Audience is not quite the same thing I believe. I think an 'audience', 'audiens' in Swedish, is of a more official nature. But I'm not sure about the differences either, since I don't know that much Court protocoll.
I think Dennis's answer (ie: audience) is more correct, in recognition of the fact that the Royal Court uses an old world useage of words.

Perhaps on another note,
the word 'företräde' bears a remarkable resemblance to the German word, "vortraege" .... which in this instance I would interpret as meaning "presentation".

hrhcp said:
I would "buy" that if it was a last minute addition to the court calendar.
Huh? What on earth do you mean?

hrhcp said:
I think Dennis's answer (ie: audience) is more correct, in recognition of the fact that the Royal Court uses an old world useage of words.
That last sentence of yours would make some people at the Court want to pull out their hair... When it comes to words for things that takes place around the Court, there are very precise words for things - and the procedures are all run by Court protocoll.

Precedence (företräde) and audience (audiens) are two different things. Just look in the calendars, and you can see that the two are used differently, and behind the words/procedures lies a lot more than you may think.

3 photos from Fotomarktplatz of 3 Royal Ladies arriving at the Banquet dinner tonight at the Royal Palace:

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 4,634
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,494
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4,718
The official dinner on Thursday at the Royal Palace of Stockholm:

The menu consisted of lime marinated crayfish tales with orange salad, fried backside of cod, oven baked Bresse pigeon and French lentils with black truffles and after that a chocolate pastry with apricot ice cream for dessert.

The King led Mrs Madeleine von Sydow, the wife of the Speaker of the Parliament, to the table, and had Minister Ylva Johansson on his other side. The Queen was led to the table by the Speaker of the Parliament, Björn von Sydow, and has Count Trolle-Wachtmeister on her other side. The Crown Princess was led to the table by the Ambassador of Germany to Sweden, Busson von Alvensleben, and has the Speaker of the Parliament on her other side. Princess Madeleine was led to the table by the Ambassador of Canada to Sweden, Lorenz Friedlaender, and had the Ambassador of Zambia to Sweden, Newstead L. Zimba, on her right side. Princess Lilian was led to the table by Count Trolle-Wachtmeister, and had the Ambassador of Great Britain to Sweden, Anthony Cary, on her other side.

Those dresses are all seen before, but nice - all I can say is why on earth is Victoria wearing that small and almost invisible and strange tiara?! Someone take it off! :) And why no pics of the King and Queen... :(

Thanks for posting the pictures Dennis! I just wish the Swedish RF would get more media coverage, so that we could enjoy more of their presence...

Last edited:
Dennism said:
3 photos from Fotomarktplatz of 3 Royal Ladies arriving at the Banquet dinner tonight at the Royal Palace:
All three ladies looked beautiful. Madeleine looks exactly the same as she did at Nobel 2002, although her cleavage is much more subdued. It looks as if Victoria is wearing pieces of the Connaught tiara as a necklace, usually Madeleine wears this necklace. Madeleine has worn it at Nobel 2000, Marth Louise's Wedding, and to the State Visit Germany. Has Victoria worn this necklace before?

Yes, all 3 did indeed. I haven´t seen that one before(not that I really notice necklaces that much) but it reminds me of a few that Silvia has worn in the past. That dinner sounds delicious though. Yummy.

Thanks for the pictures. All three ladies look lovely.

> H.R.H. Princess Madeleine
Opening of the Exhibition “Princesses”
The Royal Armoury, Stockholm
oh, another engagement for Madeleine! She seems to step out into the public life more and more now...What is The royal armoury, is it Hovstallet?

Yennie said:
What is The royal armoury, is it Hovstallet?
Livrustkammaren. I hope the translation is correct, someone told me it was.

GrandDuchess said:
Livrustkammaren. I hope the translation is correct, someone told me it was.
Aha, I see! never heard that word before, but I´m sure its correct.
Do you know anything more about the exhibition? Will it be about the life of swedish princesses or something like that?

Yennie said:
Do you know anything more about the exhibition? Will it be about the life of swedish princesses or something like that?
I think they are aming at a very mixed public with this exhibition, because it's about both Swedish Princesses through the years (non-living) as well as Princesses from the fairytales.

Alejandra: Thank you so much for posting the link to those wonderful pics from last night's gala dinner which so far have not appeared anyplace else!
CP Victoria is wearing this particular necklace for the first time. It consists of the pendants taken from the Connaught diamond tiara put on a chain; Princess Madeleine has worn it several times before indeed, but Queen Silvia never did, as far as I remember.
CP Victoria's tiara is her modern one, given to her for her 18th birthday. IMO, it was a bad choice then and it's terrible that she continues to wear it now. This pitiful tiara looks like some piece of wire topped with rhinestones.
Princess Madeleine wears her mother's 10th wedding anniversary gift diamond tiara again, to great effect.
Queen Silvia wears her cameo parure.
All Royal ladies wear 'old' dresses, but the white chiffon dress Queen Silvia is wearing is at least 19 years old... which might set a new record. I have pics of her wearing it on a state visit to Portugal in 1986 - and I hope I will never see it again. It's a nice dress for sure, and she obviously kept her figure to still fit into it, but PLEASE:
The Queen of Sweden should live on a budget that allows her to buy & wear a few more new gala dresses each year, really...!

Boris said:
All Royal ladies wear 'old' dresses, but the white chiffon dress Queen Silvia is wearing is at least 19 years old... which might set a new record. I have pics of her wearing it on a state visit to Portugal in 1986 - and I hope I will never see it again. It's a nice dress for sure, and she obviously kept her figure to still fit into it, but PLEASE:
The Queen of Sweden should live on a budget that allows her to buy & wear a few more new gala dresses each year, really...!

19 years. O, my. Maybe we should start up a charity: The Gowns for Silvia Fund.

Scanorama said:
Can someone please please please translate that into english please? :)

Here Idol profilers(satirists) make fun of Royal Children.

Tonight, TV4 "journalists" Peter Magnusson och David Hellenius make fun of the royal children. Victoria and Madeleine are depicted as stupid and spoiled.
Carl Philip is shown as a slobbering idiot.

-It is deplorable says Ann-Christine Jernberg, Royal Court press chief(Answer woman extraordinaire)

In tonight´s humorprogram, "Two guys and check channel"(not sure about that one) Peter Magnusson and David Hellenius, from Idol 2004, carry on with TV4´s biggest satires yet.

But it is not merely a program where they make fun of the Royal Children.
It has a feature called "Royal House Jeopardy". That´s where hosts Peter Magnusson and David Hellenius play along with the 3 royal children as they vie against each other in a popular quiz. The royal children are shown to be very silly people indeed. They respond incorrectly on all of the questions and Carl Philip, when he opens his mouth, slobbers.

"This is boring"

Madeleine was the winner with 100 points. But she sighs:

- What one can do for 100,000 SKR is typically nothing.

Ann-Christine Jernberg sighs when she has heard what will be in the program:
-I have not seen it but I think it is deplorable and tedius that they should devote time to such a thing. I do not find it funny.

"It won´t be wicked"

David Hellenius says that his purpose is only to amuse.

Why depict Carl Philip that way?

-I don´t know why I did it that way. He is not like that in real life.

How do you think the royal children will respond?

-That is something one will have to find out. It is never funny if people are getting tired of it. It´s not meaning to be wicked or mean-spirited.

Anders Knave, program head at TV, defends the feature:

When it comes to us with irony and humor, we must let the creators decide how to restrain themselves. It is done in all sincere fondness as well.

Program:

Madeleine: God how strange. Can one answer in advance? But that is just
sh-- easy.

Magnus Härenstam: He is the only son of Carl Gustaf XVI(the current king).

Madeleine: Who is Karl XII?

Magnus Härenstam: The forest´s king who every year causes thousands of calamities on country roads.

Carl Philip(who dribbles when he answers) That is sh-- easy. It´s Pappa!

Victoria: God how dumb can you be!

Carl Philip: Was I wrong?

Victoria: No, but one has to say "Who is pappa?"

Magnus Härenstam: The name of the Metro in Paris which often goes underground.

Victoria: One would have to know French then. I pass on that question.

Magnus Härenstam: I can give you a clue. It is something that is long and vast and quick. One can ride it, for example, from Bromma to Gamla Stan.

Madeleine: What is a limo?

Josefine said:
a slow week it seems

An engagement-week...I would say. Personally I don´t believe really anymore in a (summer) wedding in 2005, but for the case I´m wrong, I would say this is (almost) the least possible week. Almost no duties for Victoria (only one in the castle) and after this week Victoria will go to Australia (IMO an engagement after Australia is very unlikely)

Josefine said:
a slow week it seems
I've heard that the Queen is gonna visit her brother in Germany (the one suffering from cancer) next week, but I don't know how true that is... But it could be, since her official schedule is empty. Perhaps the Crown Princess could visit him too, since she'll be in Germany tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom