I Feel Sorry For Alexandra

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexandra's father was well-respected Director of insurance company in Hong Kong. Her mom was a manager of German company in Hong Kong. Her Austrian family is well educated too. The main point is that Alex had very impressive cv. She studied in London, Vienna, and Tokyo.

Alexandra's family were / are very wealthy compared to Mary's family. Thus, she had far more opportunities (than Mary) to be better educated and cultured.

Originally posted by montecarlo@Apr 6th, 2004 - 3:44 pm
Alexandra's father was well-respected Director of insurance company in Hong Kong. Her mom was a manager of German company in Hong Kong. Her Austrian family is well educated too. The main point is that Alex had very impressive cv. She studied in London, Vienna, and Tokyo.

Alexandra's family were / are very wealthy compared to Mary's family. Thus, she had far more opportunities (than Mary) to be better educated and cultured.
Alex comes a multi-cultural family-cultural education at home. Because she has family living in various parts of the world, she was definitely able to travel more and developed interests outside of Hong Kong. Alex is also well educated and had an impressive CV because she focused on an area in particular and it appears that as time went by she made serious advancements in her career.

Mary's CV isn't unimpressive when considering the jobs that she has held and the companies at which she has been employed. She worked at very respectable and reputable companies and agencies. Her CV is diverse which means that she has worked at several jobs and that isn't a bad thing. Diversity is never a negative, IMO. The main questions that have been raised have been those about the number of jobs which she has held in a rather short amount of time.

I agree with Monte Carlo. You can't judge who is a better princess by simply comparing CVs.

Princess Alexandra will have been a princess for 9 years this year, whilst Mary has only justed started official duties. Moreover, Mary is stepping into a Crown Princess position which is considered more than princess.

They do make it quite clear first and formost that the princess/queen consort main duties are to reproduce. If this is the case, do their CVs really matter?

I like both ladies and I think they will be as good as is required for the respective positions. Most importantly, they are loved by their husbands!

Mary's CV isn't unimpressive when considering the jobs that she has held and the companies at which she has been employed. She worked at very respectable and reputable companies and agencies. Her CV is diverse which means that she has worked at several jobs and that isn't a bad thing.

Mary could have been a late bloomer when in comes to career paths. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Many people have difficulty figuring out what career path to follow after college. So, they go from one job to another, until they find fulfillment.

Princess Alexandra will have been a princess for 9 years this year, whilst Mary has only justed started official duties. Moreover, Mary is stepping into a Crown Princess position which is considered more than princess.

Isn't it sad that some people are comparing these two? For goodness sakes, Alexandra has been given nine years to mold herself into the "perfect" princess role.

Originally posted by montecarlo@Apr 7th, 2004 - 6:12 am
Mary's CV isn't unimpressive when considering the jobs that she has held and the companies at which she has been employed. She worked at very respectable and reputable companies and agencies. Her CV is diverse which means that she has worked at several jobs and that isn't a bad thing.

Mary could have been a late bloomer when in comes to career paths. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Many people have difficulty figuring out what career path to follow after college. So, they go from one job to another, until they find fulfillment.
That does happen, however, it is my understanding that Mary wasn't just out of college during all of this time.

which is the relationship between mary and alexandra? do they get on well?

Originally posted by carlota@Apr 7th, 2004 - 12:05 pm
which is the relationship between mary and alexandra? do they get on well?
I'm not really sure if they have an actual relationship or if they are simply acquaintances who are cordial because one is a wife and the other a fiancée of two brothers.

Of course, there has been a rumor mentioned every now and then about them not being friends and not getting along. I usually take such statements with a grain of salt. Rumors of this nature are always started about intelligent and attractive women, who are in the same professional or social circles. You can't be sure without major facts.

I'm not really sure if they have an actual relationship or if they are simply acquaintances who are cordial because one is a wife and the other a fiancée of two brothers.

Prince Joachim said that his wife, Alexandra, doesn't know much about Mary.

Originally posted by montecarlo@Apr 7th, 2004 - 6:16 pm

That answers a few questions.

The two women are most likely civil, but not friends, at least for now. It is really what I expected.

I don't know if the get along.I only know that Alexandra joined Marys party.
Polterabend?-Stagparty? B)
I dont think she would have been invited if they didn't like each other. :blink:
I wouldn't invite someone I didn't like to something like that.
Lajla

Originally posted by Times2222+Jan 26th, 2004 - 10:36 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Times2222 @ Jan 26th, 2004 - 10:36 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lasu@Jan 23rd, 2004 - 8:32 pm
And for the record, I don't feel sorry for Alexandra. If she is the saint that so many say she is, then she will find happiness and satisfaction in her good works, loving family, and elegant (though somewhat boring at times) wardrobe.  :innocent: Having another princess around won't detract from the first, especially one so admired.
I don't think Alex is regarded as a saint. One may recall that several years ago Alex was criticized for not producing an heir.

Neither Alex and Mary should be regarded as Saints. They should develop their individual styles (as Alex has). Mary should be given a chance to do so to. [/b][/quote]
I don't think that Princess Alexandra will be sad or what!! And i think she understand her position as she is not married into the royal family as a crown princess.

Originally posted by montecarlo@Apr 7th, 2004 - 1:16 pm
where did you read this?

Where did you read this?

Someone from the Royal Blue forum, heard an interview with Prince Joachim. During the interview, the Prince mentioned that his wife knew little about Mary.

I read that as well but it was my impression that the interview took place before they were engaged.

Just my two cents...but it seems like in family photos they all seem to get along just fine. I also think that when you marry into a royal family, you know where you are in the pecking order. She ALWAYS knew that the minute Fredrick married, that woman would be in the spotlight. I doubt any of this is a surprise.

The interview with prince Joachim did not happen prior to the engagement, as the royal family in generel did not make any officiel comments on Mary Donaldson then.

Joachim didn't really say, that Alexandre doesn't know much about Mary. He said, that he himself spends more time in Copenhagen and therefore, he has also been able to spend more time with Mary Donaldson.

Now, I feel really sorry for alex. Recent photos show the dresses and clothes she wore almost recycled to the point of jsut like office dresses. They should give her a raise since she works the most in that family. Also, the shoes that brown pair is everywhere with her these three months. :(

Originally posted by lori@Apr 21st, 2004 - 8:47 am
Now, I feel really sorry for alex. Recent photos show the dresses and clothes she wore almost recycled to the point of  jsut like office dresses. They should give her a raise since she works the most in that family. Also, the shoes that brown pair is everywhere with her these three months. :(
I still don't feel sorry for her. The DRF is not as wealthy as some of the other Royal Families, both reigning and even some of the non-reigning. It is obvious that the women will have to recycle their clothing. Queen Margrethe has done it for years, so why should her daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law be any different? Unless Alex and Mary are great seamstresses or someday become such, they will most likely wear things more than once. Also, I would think that if you are working very hard, it is difficult to sit for showings, go shopping, and even see dressmakers. Not only are finances an issue, but time is as well when one is also acting in a diplomatic fashion for one's country.

When Alex married Joachim, I am sure that although she knew that he was wealthy, he wasn't a man of extremely great wealth. He also runs a farm and most intelligent people know that farming is fickle. Sometimes you can have years, even decades of great harvests, and sometimes you have horrible harvests. It's a business and as with other businesses things can be very slow at times. Alex accepted that she and Joachim would dedicate their lives together to various things. When she married Joachim, she gave up the opportunity to have a career seperate from that of Princess of Denmark. There would be no steady income from going to work and functioning in a certain capacity on a daily basis. The farm has not been doing well and the couple has to be careful with finances. A new suit or new gown may not always be practical for various reasons.

I agree that Joachim and his wife do deserve raises considering the amount of work that they do, but it is not likely that they will get one.

In the meantime, I suggest that people get used to seeing Alex in gowns and suits that she has worn on previous ocassions.

Originally posted by Jacqueline+Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jacqueline @ Apr 21st, 2004 - 9:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lori@Apr 21st, 2004 - 8:47 am
Now, I feel really sorry for alex. Recent photos show the dresses and clothes she wore almost recycled to the point of  jsut like office dresses. They should give her a raise since she works the most in that family. Also, the shoes that brown pair is everywhere with her these three months. :(
I still don't feel sorry for her. The DRF is not as wealthy as some of the other Royal Families, both reigning and even some of the non-reigning. It is obvious that the women will have to recycle their clothing. Queen Margrethe has done it for years, so why should her daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law be any different? Unless Alex and Mary are great seamstresses or someday become such, they will most likely wear things more than once. Also, I would think that if you are working very hard, it is difficult to sit for showings, go shopping, and even see dressmakers. Not only are finances an issue, but time is as well when one is also acting in a diplomatic fashion for one's country.

When Alex married Joachim, I am sure that although she knew that he was wealthy, he wasn't a man of extremely great wealth. He also runs a farm and most intelligent people know that farming is fickle. Sometimes you can have years, even decades of great harvests, and sometimes you have horrible harvests. It's a business and as with other businesses things can be very slow at times. Alex accepted that she and Joachim would dedicate their lives together to various things. When she married Joachim, she gave up the opportunity to have a career seperate from that of Princess of Denmark. There would be no steady income from going to work and functioning in a certain capacity on a daily basis. The farm has not been doing well and the couple has to be careful with finances. A new suit or new gown may not always be practical for various reasons.

I agree that Joachim and his wife do deserve raises considering the amount of work that they do, but it is not likely that they will get one.

In the meantime, I suggest that people get used to seeing Alex in gowns and suits that she has worn on previous ocassions. [/b][/quote]
Brilliant points, Jacqueline. I agree with you completely.

I know the necessity of recycling the dress, but considering three times in a month with the same dress is far too many times. Perhaps not well planned and I am sure she has some other dresses as well. She just keeps showing up with the same one in too short a time.

Originally posted by lori@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:58 pm
I know the necessity of recycling the dress, but considering three times in a month with the same dress is far too many times. Perhaps not well planned and I am sure she has some other dresses as well. She just keeps showing up with the same one in too short a time.
I don't think that Alexandra has ever worn the same dress or suit three times in the same month. She may have worn the same dress three times in three different months, but three times in one month, is quite doubtful. I tend to follow Alexandra's public appearances and although I have seen her wear the same thing twice over a stretch of months and even years, I have not seen her wear the same thing repeatedly. I have seen recent pictures of her and the clothing has been worn before, but it definitely hasn't all been worn recently.

And additionally, unless one was to remember every dress she has worn (i.e. if you were a big fan), they wouldn't really notice if she wore the same dress after a couple of months.

For a royal watcher who keeps gazing at them, dresses are quite memerable. That blue suit had shown up twice in mid march and the upper part of the suit is shown in Queen's birth day though with different skirt. And every time with the same shoes, brown yellow one, which is also paired up with the suits for flying to China and other recent occasions. Of course, most royals recycle their dresses, nothing wrong with that, just need a better planning.

HRH Princess Alexandra is to be awarded an appanage of her own in recognition of her work. (The parliarment announced this a few days ago, when they agreed to raise HRH Prince Frederiks appanage) Appanage incidently is not pay, but compensation for having given the Danes the constitution in 1849 thus ending absolutism.

And by the way people, get real. HRH Princess Alexandra knew from the start that she would end up being second to the future wife of HRH Prince Frederik. And with any luck she and her husband will soon become uttely superfluous. Not that I have anything against HRH Princess Alexandra, but it would be a disaster for Denmark if HRH Prince Joachim got any nearer the throne than he already is.

Originally posted by Jacqueline+Apr 22nd, 2004 - 12:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jacqueline @ Apr 22nd, 2004 - 12:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-joytotheworld@Apr 22nd, 2004 - 10:51 am
Brilliant points, Jacqueline. I agree with you completely.
Thank you joytotheworld. :)[/b][/quote]
Me 2

Joachim seems to do a lovely job supporting Her Majesty, and representing Denmark around the world, as does Princess Alexandra. The Danes are definitely lucky to have her, and I don't think Mary becoming family is going to make Joachim and Alexandra lesser assets to the monarchy.

Originally posted by cille@Nov 23rd, 2003 - 5:57 am
And if you think Mary is snobbish, I think you should take into account that Alexandra "loves" Denmark so much, that she spends one quarter of the year in Hong Kong, because she cannot get use to the cold weather in Denmark. This is eventhough her parents live with her in Denmark. And just so you know. When she travels to Hong Kong she sits in first class, while her kids and there nanys fly coach. So I do not know who is more of a snob. Mary or Alexandra.
Do we think this poster was a troll? How did she know this?

This may not be a popular opinion, but I have to say - I ADMIRE Alexandra for recycling gowns and suits, etc. The role of the modern monarchy has to walk a very fine line and spending extravagant amounts of money on fashion is just not socially responsible, something that we Scandinavians tend to pride ourselves on. Why should she be expected to wear a new dress to every gala? While I admit that it's certainly more fun for us royal watchers to see new outfits, it's much more admirable and responsible of the royal families to not indulge us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom