The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks. Happy New Year from me as well.

Yes, it is, Stefan.

The guest are led upstairs to gather in a chamber and later on (after the DRF has arrived) they will be led in order of precendence down again and to the hall where the DRF will recieve them. With a little luck we'll see that as well.
That is also a new thing.

It's something the media (and the politicians) will appreciate a lot. For once they can show up in their finest and get a positive coverage.

One of the things I love about the New Year Courts is that this is one time of the year when DRF-show is running on full throttle in regards to ceremonial and protocol and being a nerd in that regard, there were a number of details worth mentioning.

Joachim and our Marie, as always dispenced with formality when arriving, with Marie leaving the car nearest to the red carpet.
But did you notice how Joachim changed his place in regards to Marie on top of the stairs, ensuring that Marie remained on his right? - Being a perfect gentleman someone as precious as you wife is always to your right. Concubines are led by the left hand...
And the gentleman adapt to the situation, not the lady.

Being the highest representatives present for the DRF upon arriving both Joachim and Frederik inspected the honor guard and this is one of the extremely few occasions when Danish military personel keep their headgear on when going inside. I.e. when performing an official duty. Inspecting an honorguard is a duty.
Otherwise you always, always remove your headgear the second you go inside.

When QMII arrived, she was applauded, and the drums and fifers outside played the Colour March, which is also a salute, while the sentries presented arms.
QMII being the Commander in Chief also inspects the honor guard.

A BT gallery of representatives of the government and the highest official ranks arriving: Se billederne: Her ankommer landets spidser til nytårskur hos dronningen | www.bt.dk

#2 M&F. Frederik as you can tell in Navy gala.

#3 The Regent Couple. PH in the gala uniform of an admiral.

#6 The PM, Helle Thorning. - No selfie this time...

#7 Minister for Education Christine Antorini. Who has worked close with both Mary but in particular with our Marie.

#8 The newly appointed Minister for Justice Karen Hækkerup.

#10 Minister for Employment Mette Frederiksen.

#11 Minister for Finance Bjarne Corydon, the mastermind behind the econmic reforms of the government and probably the most powerful member of the government, counting the PM herself.

#14 Minister for Economy Margrethe Vestager, and the second most powerful member of the government.

#16 Minister for Chiledren and Immigration, Annette Wilhelmsen. She is also leader of the third government party. Her influence is however, to put it mildly, limited.

#18 Minister for Transport, Pia Olsen Dyhr.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Both Mary and Margrethe in recycled dresses:

Mary in this red one: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...-og-taffel.jpg

Margrethe in this green: http://berlingske.image.unwire.com/I...r.jpg?IP_w=800

Marie in a new blue dress.

Three pictures of the royals from tonight has so far been published on berlingske.dk

QMII
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/70/7/11...ingen-repr.jpg Great color to her.

CP Mary
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/70/7/11...ingen-repr.jpg Always stunning in that red dress.
http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/70/7/62...ingen-repr.jpg

Gallery (I guess it will be updated...) ADDED: Also a picture of PJ and PM now...
http://www.b.dk/billedserier/her-ank...hos-dronningen
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Majesty

I've never watched this before, and I noted the same things as Muhler

I did notice that Joachim and the Queen did inspect the guard, ie seemed to note them carefully and shook hands with 2 or 3 of the officers; Frederick seemed to be in rather a hurry, just seemed to walk down the line, managed to shake 1 persons hand and then dashed off. Is that his style?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Loving event
And I just want to point out how handsome frederik looks.
Beard, grey hair, and the uniform. Yes
Old 01-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Marie looks very smart
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I've never watched this before, and I noted the same things as Muhler

I did notice that Joachim and the Queen did inspect the guard, ie seemed to note them carefully and shook hands with 2 or 3 of the officers; Frederick seemed to be in rather a hurry, just seemed to walk down the line, managed to shake 1 persons hand and then dashed off. Is that his style?
Whatever it was it was sloppy but perhaps he thought he was in a hurry?
Anyway, it is an important showing of respect to the honor guard but also a curtesy to the guardsmen.
This is something they will experience once in their lives and of the serving guardsbattallion (really a company) only a few will be selected for an honor guard during the New Year Courts, so yes, I think it matters to do it properly. Even if you are not a stickler for protocol and ceremony and you have been through it countless times yourself.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Commoner

Muhler: Is Helle Thorning as beautiful as she appeared in the photos about the selfie? And thank you for noting and writing about all the little details of protocol. I, too, for some unknown reason, enjoy such matters...
Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations on your first post sshepard7

Weeell, I would personally never get near her without wearing a cross and garlic around my neck, but if we leave politics out of this, then yes.
Helle Thorning is the most attractive PM this country has ever had and in regards to appearance, she is among the top three politicians here in DK.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Courtier

wauw mary looks wonderful! this is maybe my all time favorite gown on her, so majestically

also helle tornings gown was fantastic!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Commoner

Thank you, Muhler! I have read your posts with interest -- and Great Satisfaction -- over the years and decided it was time to jump in the pool. And, to put a fine point on it, I almost always come to this forum first to see if you have been busy…

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

Thorning-Schmidt certainly knows how to 'glam up' when the situation requires it; and generally she is IMO one of the most capable PMs the country has ever had. One may not agree with all her political views but she has the guts to make the tough and unpopular political decisions which her predecessor(s) did not dare to make.

That she knows her way round and about the corridors of the EU institutions, knows how to carry herself in general - and is able to speak English in a way which does not leave her countrymen with toes curled in embarrassement are added bonuses
Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you for your kind words and Happy New Year to you as well.

I'm sure you won't ever regret joining the TRF.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Frederik inspecting the guard
http://25.media.tumblr.com/40816b770...jme9o3_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/e8489a3a8...jme9o4_500.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/160dc20e1...jme9o5_500.jpg

Joachim
http://31.media.tumblr.com/a42947b29...jme9o4_500.jpg
Old 01-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Don't know whether it should be posted here or in the fashion thread?

B.T. has published a little Mary gallery with pictures of her in her red dress through the years: "Mary to New Year Gala in recycling"
Se billederne: Mary til nytårs-galla i genbrug | www.bt.dk

And yes, one can say many things about PM Helle Thorning. I for one, don't always understand ALL the criticism she constantly gets. But she certainly knows how to dress to the New Year banquets.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thank you for your kind words and Happy New Year to you as well.

I'm sure you won't ever regret joining the TRF.
I shall add my words of praise and thanks to Muhler who does indeed help make this forum one of the best sources for Danish history I know. I believe his informed comments raise the level of forum discussion beyond who is wearing whom or what to an informed discourse on social history. However, I don't want to swell his head or dismay the mods so I will end with my
very best wishes for the New Year to all forum members!with the special for Muhler!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

More pics

Nytårskur og - taffel 2014 | Billed Bladet

B.dk: Landets spidser til nytårskur hos dronningen

PPE Agency

Getty Images: Traditional New Year's Banquet hosted by Queen Margrethe of Denmark
Old 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Love this pic of Frederik inspecting the guards with Mary in the back.
http://www.sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cach..._0_0_0_0_2.jpg

Henrik and the Queen
http://www.sn.dk/modules/xphoto/cach..._0_0_0_0_2.jpg
Old 01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Happy New Year and Good Health to all for 2014. I always look forward to the New Year Gala events to see the ladies all glammed up and the men in uniform. I love the way Mary is experimenting with her jewels. This year she wears the top half of the corsage brooch on the red velvet neck choker. Her earrings are parred down to just the stud part. This is the banquet where they dine in candlelight and I think Jardins banquet room must look stunning by candlelight. I only wish they would allow one gorgeous photo of it. Your PM looks lovely and appropriate tonight. Looking forward to the other events.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Danish royals knows how to rock their regal attire. British royals take note. Very beautiful pictures indeed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you, Gerry.
I can assure you that my head is already swelled - but due to a cold, not so much with air as with something else... but a chilli-vodka is the perfect remedy.

Anyway, let's return to what is actually going on during such a court.
The guest line up in order of rank, including government ministers, and they greet the DRF before going to the table.

Here they are served the legendary Rosenborg wine from 1580's. A Rhinsk/Rhein wine. I don't know much about wine, but is has been diluted and been added other wines over the centuries and some years ago it was poured into new wooden casks.
As such it has now gone from undrinkable and "an experience" to tasting a bit like a dark sherry - and "an experience"...

The whole thing lasts a couple of hours, during which the guests are served a few light treats and some more (drinkable) wine. QMII will call a number of the guests to her for a brief chat, which is mainly about their jobs. The other members of the DRF will mingle as what would be done at a normal reception.

The government will drive from Amalienborg to the official residence of the PM, Marienborg Manor. Here their spouses have had a light dinner and here the government will have a minor New Year party.

- I'm pretty certain that the new approach by letting the guests off at the red carpet and not inside the gate, originate from Frederik, who is now increasingly working ever closer with QMII, and who (according to QMII herself) is allowed more and more influence.
Because that media-friendly change bears the hallmark of M&F. It is something QMII simply wouldn't think off IMO.

A little trivia. QMII do not wish that the chain of the Order of the Elephant is worn against naked skin, so the dresses have to be made with that consideration in mind.

Are you able to watch this? Dronningens nytårskur - 01. jan. 2014 | DR1 | DR

It's the DR1 coverage of the guests and the DRF arriving.

If you can't, please feel free to delete this post as I expect to go to bed soon.

(I watched TV2's coverage myself, the picture quality was much better).

Tags
danish new year levee, danish royals