Which Royal Doesn't Live Up To The Hype?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I think Mary is over-hyped for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I do adore her but I think a lot of it is that she's got no 'black marks' on her previous life as a commoner, and maybe that's a lot of it. She was the saint from the beginning and she hasn't set any feet wrong. Plus, her and Frederick show lots of public emotion and they have brought the fairy-tale quality back to royalty. I really became interested in the non-British royals in the past year or so, especially with the Danish and Spanish weddings. I am really liking Maxima more than Mary now, mainly because Maxima seems so open and friendly, like she could be your best friend.
Anyway, that's my opinion.

lisamaria said:
Even the coverage of the Spanish wedding was smaller. Much smaller.

From a global point of view the Spanish wedding was much bigger. I believe the TV audience was over 100million. Moreover there was huge press coverage not just in Spain, but in South America.

As for the sobriety of her wedding, that's hardly Letizia's fault. The blame for that should be placed at the people who chose to murder 200+ people in the March 11th bombings. The Spanish couple could hardly have a big celebration when so many of their fellow countrymen and women were mourning loved ones.

ricarda said:

Princess Alexandra of Denmark
This woman was praised to the skies for years, much more than Mary.
The super-princess, wonderful wife and mother, and oh so classy and busy.
And in the end: divorce, unhappy looking children, scandalous appearance at a royal baptism and 11 workdays in 3 and a half months.
quote]

I haven't kept up to date with Princess Alexandra for some time now, so I was wondering what was so scandalous about her appearance at a royal baptism? Sorry if this has been discussed in detail already, i may just have missed it. :)
She didn't wear a skirt under her coat-dress and when she walked down the middleway in the church and sat down
you could see her legs up to her hips. I was expecting to see her underwear any moment.
I saw it on the Norwegian television and was quite shocked.
I don't think I have ever seen anything like that at a royal occasion.
And that woman is supposed to be so classy.
Sexy she was, but certainly not classy.

capricorninin said:
I have to agree on both your points...
I share your point of view.

When I first saw Mary I wasn't very impressed by her,
(actually as a European snob :D I thought: That Aussie girl is going to marry into one of the most cultivated royal families?)
Also, at her wedding day she seemed quite reserved and artificial to me, I preferred Frederik.

But ever since she has grown on me.
I think everything you wrote above is true.
This year I had the opportunity to see more of her on German television, when she visited Northern Germany, at Sverre Magnus's christening and now at King Carl Gustav's birthday party, and I certainly did not see a greedy, arrogant, haughty fashion victim, but a charming person who is trying to do her best.
I also love her courage and her independence: out on her own in the first week after returning from honeymoon, her choice of patronages.
But obviously 2 fashion magazine covers (actually the only thing in the last two years she shouldn't have done in my opinion) are enough to dislike a person forever.

Regarding the hype: in German magazines there was actually no special hype about Mary pre-wedding, she was presented as a young Australian with a good education. There was a hype about the two weddings, and at first the Spanish one was considered the more important. But with the weddings everything changed, then the interest in the Danish couple really started.

But I agree with Little_Star that the Spanish couple cannot be blamed for the bad weather and the low-key-wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little_star said:
From a global point of view the Spanish wedding was much bigger. I believe the TV audience was over 100million. Moreover there was huge press coverage not just in Spain, but in South America.

As for the sobriety of her wedding, that's hardly Letizia's fault. The blame for that should be placed at the people who chose to murder 200+ people in the March 11th bombings. The Spanish couple could hardly have a big celebration when so many of their fellow countrymen and women were mourning loved ones.

Even in Canada we got coverage of the Spanish wedding. And usually we only get coverage of the British royals. Felipe and Letizia's engagement made front pages and news casts, and I was able to see footage of their wedding on news casts. The Danish wedding that happened a month before didn't even make the running ticket at the bottom of news casts with the sports scores and the lottery numbers.

There is a larger Spanish-speaking population in the world -- hence the numerous ties Spain has with other countries around the world -- then say Danish-speaking countries, so it is natural that international coverage would correlate.

Here in Canada, when Willem and Maxima got married there was also some coverage because of (specifically) Ontario's ties to Queen Juliana and her family (especially Margriet who was born here), who resided here during WWII. Believe it or not, when Margriet's youngest sons got married last year, it was covered in our newspapers and newscasts because of Margriet, but nothing when Phillippe and Mathilde married.

Well, here in Brazil we got the wedding live on one of our most famous news channels. It was also live in CNN.

When Leonor was born, there was a 1-minute piece and when Letizia left the clinic it was 2 at least.

Leonor also made half a page in one of the most important papers here when she was born, with a huge picture of a grinning Felipe.

Here in Brazil very few people know that Denmark has a Royal Family, let alone the name of their crown princess and her son.

I will once again state what I think. I think that it's pretty unfair to compare the two ladies. But saying that Letizia is unaccomplished as a princess is preposterous!

Letizia made at least a dozen of official visits to Felipe, she attended several presidential investitures. She went to the USA, to Bulgaria, to Serbia and Montenegro, to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Czech Republic (while heavily pregnant), Japan, Uruguay, Mexico and other places that escapes the mind right now. She has also visited several provinces of Spain.

Letizia has participated in numerous meetings with economists, politics and other important people and all of them where always unanimous to say that were amazed by her intelligence in the subject presented at such occasions.

But if you're interested in fashion, glitter and glamour, I'm sorry, but Letizia isn't the princess you should watch. She works hard backstage and has accepted several patronages and has meetings with them, as well as audiences in which she actively participates.

I repeat, it's preposterous and frivolous to say that Letizia is unaccomplished just because you don't see her smiling in the front row of a fashion show or visiting people in hospitals.

Her so called boring suits are her style, like it or not. She knows what looks good on her, she had enough time to discover that as a newscaster. And you see a lot of glitter when she has to attend functions that demand that.

I'm not trying to diminish the work of any other crown princess, but I guess that trying to diminish all the work Letizia has offered to the Spanish Royal Family in the past two years is extremely wrong and unfair.

And likewise, it's not fair to blame her for a decision that it is not hers. I would love to see Letizia performing duties on her own, but this decision comes from above, and there's nothing we can do but wait and see.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick up for William a bit. Although I do agree that he gets a lot of covergae for doing not alot we have to remember that he was at uni and now Sandhurst which did and does curtail his activities. Also, he is not, yet, heir apparent, therefore it is understandable that he does not do as much as the other princes who are.
In my opinion, the swedish children seem a bit over hyped. Victoria does alot but Madeline and Carl Philip only ever seem to get a mention in relation to how attractive they are. Not their fault but that's the way it is in the media.

I actually don't agree with you on that one. I think both Carl-Phillip and Madelaine have more official tasks then William and Harry for example.

On all the Crown Princess, I think they have all lived up to the "hype". Hard question.

Agree

Marengo said:
I actually don't agree with you on that one. I think both Carl-Phillip and Madelaine have more official tasks then William and Harry for example.

I do agree! I haven´t seen much of William and Harry in the official context.

Lizy said:
In my opinion, the swedish children seem a bit over hyped. Victoria does alot but Madeline and Carl Philip only ever seem to get a mention in relation to how attractive they are. Not their fault but that's the way it is in the media.
They have both been full-time students so far, Prince Carl Philip is still, and Princess Madeleine is in New York working for Unicef currently.

Even so, both of them have protectorships and carry out at least a few official engagements per year, plus attend the big events in Sweden (the King's birthday, Nobel, the National Day, State Visits, the yearly Official Dinners etc). They were introduced to royal work when they were quite young, and have become very professional in carrying out their own engagements.

Last edited:
I'm currently in university right now and im sure anyone else who is or who has been understands that there is not much time to do other things because of endless assignments, projects, classes etc. I understand how the royals in university cannot dedicate much time to their duties as they are really busy studying.

While I agree that Carl Philip and Madeleine actually manage to perform several official duties throughout the year and were introduced to royal work when they were 18 which is fairly young IMO (except for National Day and the King's birthday) it's not fair to compare them to William and Harry. Carl Philip and Madeleine are children of the King and not of the heir. So it makes more sense that they would have more obligations or a sense of duty in their position. William and Harry are heirs to the heir so they still have some time before it's almost a requirement to carry out royal duties. But all four seem to be quite busy right now actually doing things of some importance.

Last edited:
I am going to risk mutiny by saying that I think Maxima is overhyped. Everyone talks about how she is so exuberant. I find her a bit tiring. To me she is very matronly looking and looks far older than her age. I find her desire to be the center of attention (always wearing loud colours and a big guffaw) off putting. I think she need to be told "less is more."

I also find Mary overhyped. When I read that she was well educated I guess I expected her to be well spoken but many of her statements are grammatically incorrect. For example what is an "experienced experience?"
She reminds of this guy I knew who had a huge insecurity complex and would always try to use big words to make himself seem more intelligent but sounded like ass.
As for her beauty - well, she certainly is polished I give her that.
Character wise- Of course I don't know her, but from what I have read and things that she has said, I find her wily.

Fred of Denmark. I dont dislike him or anything but he could be doing more official engangements. Instead all you hear about him is is social life. I seems to me that the only time he is mentioned as being at a patronage or doing something worthwhile is when his wife is there as well. In that sense I think that he is overhyped. I must say that I think what makes the media " hype him up" is probably his boyish charm (I could'nt believe he was older than his brother) and his romantic side.

Little_star said:

I think you misunderstood my point. Of course it was not Letizia's fault what happened. I do think though that in that perspective their wedding might have been a lot more emotional - optimistic, in the lack of better word - than it was though. I did mention, I think, that the Spanish wedding was a lot bigger - the rain ect. were merely bad luck. Here, many people were very disappointed by the whole Spanish affair (not by Letizia, mind you) and made even comments on it on the papers, comparing it openly to Mary and Frederick's wedding and how lovely it was.

I like Letizia a lot, despite of her certain shortcomings. But those just might come down to MY location. In here, we mostly hear of the Swedish royals (speak of not being up to the hype!) and William and Harry, and Mary & Fred have brought the Danish to almost the same level. The other royals come far, far behind. Maxima, who is huge elsewhere sparks no interest whatsoever in the Finnish media, and the Luxies or Belgians are never even mentioned.

But to answer the original question cited in the thread, I think that the Swedes are by far the most overrated, with Maxima coming a close second.

lisamaria said:
I think you misunderstood my point. Of course it was not Letizia's fault what happened. I do think though that in that perspective their wedding might have been a lot more emotional - optimistic, in the lack of better word - than it was though. I did mention, I think, that the Spanish wedding was a lot bigger - the rain ect. were merely bad luck. Here, many people were very disappointed by the whole Spanish affair (not by Letizia, mind you) and made even comments on it on the papers, comparing it openly to Mary and Frederick's wedding and how lovely it was.

If they did havean extravagant wedding like Fred and Mary's they would have been heavily criticised. Personally I cannot say I felt any disappointment, both weddings seemed joyous to both families. I did prefer seeing the pictures for the Spanish wedding, although that was primarily because there were certain Royals present who were not attending at the Danish wedding.

Fred and Mary's wedding extravagant? i disagree with that. It seemed very normal to me, a happy and emotional wedding, like most of the weddings, even royal ones.

Ariel said:
Fred and Mary's wedding extravagant? i disagree with that. It seemed very normal to me, a happy and emotional wedding, like most of the weddings, even royal ones.

Weren't there something like 10 different functions in the week before the wedding?

I didn't mean that their wedding was incredibly extravagant, just that compared to the Spanish wedding it was.

Ariel said:
I would not label is as extravagant, it's not a word I think goes for Fredrik and Mary's wedding. I would however label it as a big wedding, and an expensive one. There was more than a week of official celebrations (events) before the wedding, and the whole country of Denmark was in a festive spirit for a long time - it really domintated their world during May 2004.

I think the way people celebrate things depend a lot on their culture and traditions. An example is for a baptism, the family of my husband would invite 200 persons! in my family you will invite maybe 20! There are countries that have the traditions of big celebrations and others were less is better. I consider something extravagant when something exceeds bounds or is exhorbitant, but that should be measure under the same criteria. The problem with that is that each person, family, country has their own sets of rules for this kind of celebrations. So it is probably extravagant for spanish but maybe simplistic for some other cultures were they spent a lot more than what danish did.

Last edited:
My question is why do any of these people have to live up to the hype? The press created it not them . They do what they do as royals and they have rules to follow and adhere to. I think the press and the public place their wants on them as example letizia people seem to blame her for not being out there changing and doing things . I simply beleive she is following what she is told and has no choice. Royalty has existed for years I think peoples expectations are great but to me the royals have their own way and it will not change for the new. It is built on old tradition and rules.

kwanfan said:
It almost seems like Frederik thinks that because he has a pretty and popular wife, he doesn't have to do anything himself.
That dooes make you think dosen't it? Will Mary be the driving force when Frederik takes he throne:ermm: sometimes it happens that way.I agree he eem less involved from what I have see compared to CP's Felipe or Hakkon for example.I think Maxima is ovehyped -not that I have a major problem with her I just don't think anyone can live up to all that hype.
William and Harry are young still I wouldn't expect them to carry on alot of royal duties are be married just yet.

Last edited:
Alexandria said:
While Phillipppe has grown up in the public eye, too...

Euh.... apparently not many Belgians do agree with you on this. Prince Philippe is more than ever ciriticized and seen as a clumsy dumbo....

ricarda said:
She didn't wear a skirt under her coat-dress and when she walked down the middleway in the church and sat down
you could see her legs up to her hips. I was expecting to see her underwear any moment.
I saw it on the Norwegian television and was quite shocked.
I don't think I have ever seen anything like that at a royal occasion.
And that woman is supposed to be so classy.
Sexy she was, but certainly not classy.
Add to all that the fact that she is now "shacked up" with a photographer 13 years her junior who she met when he came to her home to photograph her husband and that once she is married to him they intend living in the house her ex-husband payed for! :mad:

over-hyped? I think it's Mary..at first i like her but now i don't see anything special or the "wow" factor for me except for her sense of style :lol:. and her lazy husband! c'mon Frederik! you're going to be King someday..might as well do some task instead of sailing and attending bachelor parties!!! i'd say i'm very dissapointed in William too.. very few engagements...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

wymanda said:
and that once she is married to him they intend living in the house her ex-husband payed for! :mad:

So what is the problem? It is quite normal for divorcées, who remarry, to live in the home they once shared with their ex-husbands or the home which was provided for them upon their divorce. There is nothing out of the norm in this type of scenario.

Moving back on topic.

madeleine victoria said:
over-hyped? I think it's Mary..at first i like her but now i don't see anything special or the "wow" factor for me except for her sense of style :lol:. and her lazy husband! c'mon Frederik! you're going to be King someday..might as well do some task instead of sailing and attending bachelor parties!!!
I completely agree with you. It seems that Frederik is still a big kid. Though I think it's great that Mary is doing more than her husband I find the things she chooses to do a little weird. Her ideas most of the time are not her ideas it's borrowed from Australia.

I have to say on another note I think the entire Danish RF is a little over-hyped. It really bothers me about Alexandra's popularity even after her divorce. Then the way that Mary's popularity has gone while Fred is off in Key West or somewhere else doing non royal duties. All I have to say is that the DRF must have an amazing publilc relations staff. I don't know but for me I prefer the RF's that are doing things and trying to make a difference and are more real. In Denmark it seems to be too much about a fairytale. This is real life, real people...I'm over wanting a fairytale.

Ok, I've been looking at this thread for a while now, but am just now brave enough to post in it. lol

William: Why? Because I think he doesn't do enough for the Royal Family. Sure he goes on a couple of engagements here and there, but come on, do we really see him go out there like a future heir should? NO When we do see him in public eye, it's either at a nightclub or a polo match. Enough already. If I mention William, then I must mention Harry too. But in his case, he can partially be excused, since he will most likely never reign. No offense intended.

ZandraRae said:
Ok, I've been looking at this thread for a while now, but am just now brave enough to post in it. lol

William: Why? Because I think he doesn't do enough for the Royal Family. Sure he goes on a couple of engagements here and there, but come on, do we really see him go out there like a future heir should? NO When we do see him in public eye, it's either at a nightclub or a polo match. Enough already. If I mention William, then I must mention Harry too. But in his case, he can partially be excused, since he will most likely never reign. No offense intended.

I agree I do think the British princes should do more official engagements. However, I have a theory as far as why they don't. They are the grandchildren of the current queen. Felipe, Fred, Philippe, Victoria, Haakon, Willem(hopefully I didn't forget anyone) are all the children of the current King or Queen. The line of succession as it stands right now is Charles then William. I don't know I could be way off but it seems just a little different for William at this point.

However, I completely understand it's getting annoying to open magazines and continue seeing photos of William at a club or on vacation. Here in America I've seen a lot of vacation photos of him in recent months.

ZandraRae said:

I think William's and Harry's lack of engagements stem from their fulltime Army career. The public engagements are additional hours on top of their full time job.

I was disappointed in William because he was billed as the savior of the British monarchy and I got the sense that he really didn't want the crown but in the last few months, he looks to be sorting himself out - getting into his career, getting more serious with his girlfriend. So he's more purposeful.

But he's still young so time will tell.

I also think Americans are noticing the extra vacation time because Europeans get more than we do. At least they did when I lived in Europe. In England people got 5 weeks paid vacation whereas the Americans got only 2 to 3 if we were lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom