Highgrove

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see Charles keeping on Birkhall for him and Cams to use - otherwise they would have to visit Scotland less often as they head up a lot now without needing to open up "the big house". Maybe they'll let W&C have the sovereigns rooms in Balmoral for when they visit in the summer along with the rest of the RF. Without being too morbid C&C are getting on - moving out off Birkhall, moving W&K in (As I assume they would do) and moving C&C into Balmoral only to then eventually move W&K in when William takes the throne may be seen as a bit much. Or of course they may keep Birkhall for all but the "summer hols" or maybe they'll ditch it all together.

Personally I think Highgrove will be opened up more so people can enjoy the gardens with maybe the odd visit by Charles. He seems happy to use the Castle of Mey and Dumfries in that way.

Has anything ever been said about Charles liking the Isle of Wight? As I said on the Osbourne House thread it's a lovely property and very popular as a place to visit for obvious reasons.

I know it was said as a joke but playing it straight for a minute: English Heritage currently has Osbourne House and they couldn't do a straight swap with Historic Scotland or The National Trust for Scotland. The politics of that alone would be migraine inducing. And that's apart from "taking the nation's property from them" and the cost of making it a viable modern accommodation again.

Charles will probably make changes about where he spends his official and unofficial time when he's King but I don't see letting go of Balmoral unless potential Scottish Independence makes it awkward and/or difficult by that time.

Highgrove I can definitely see being opened up more.

I think getting use of Osbourne would indeed be a headache. Charles has a property on the Isles of Scilly, indeed the Duchy own a lot of property there.

SInce he owns Balmoral, I cna't see why he would not use it.. Its not likely that he would rent it out as a conference centre or the like.. so he mihgt as well get teh use of it...

I've seen articles where its been reported that Charles may give Balmoral Castle to the National Trust of Scotland. It would then belong to the people of Scotland. As Charles stays at time at the Castle of Mey, that castle has also been left in trust by the Queen Mother. The Queen Elizzabeth Castle of Mey Trust is listed as "owners", he may stay occasionally at Balmoral Castle.

Charles could keep his residence of Birkhall yet still use Balmoral for occasions where it deemed the best thing to do as a king hosting state guest ect.

I guess only time will tell what Charles will change as far as his preferred residences once the time comes.

Although I don't know all the news, I counted: Buckingham Palace; Clarence House; Windsor Castle; Sandringham House; Highgrove House; the place in Wales; the place on the Scilly Isles; Balmoral Castle; Birkhall; and the Palace of Holyrood House as Prince Charles' potential homes when he becomes king. It's stunning and Prince Charles, years ago, did not want Chevening House in Kent. Prince William could take over Highgrove and Birkhall and the place on the Scilly Isles and Clarence House. Gracious me!

It sounds a lot, of course it is. But some will pass on to others maybe (e.g. Birkhall possibly to William), no longer be used and some are already managed in such a way that it won't be the end of them if Charles doesn't use them. E.g. the Welsh home is let out for holidays (with just the most private part off limits) and likewise with the Scilly Isles house I believe.

To be honest seeing how many Scottish homes Charles has access to I hope he keeps the house in Wales on as King (can you tell I'm Welsh)

I've seen articles where its been reported that Charles may give Balmoral Castle to the National Trust of Scotland. It would then belong to the people of Scotland. As Charles stays at time at the Castle of Mey, that castle has also been left in trust by the Queen Mother. The Queen Elizzabeth Castle of Mey Trust is listed as "owners", he may stay occasionally at Balmoral Castle.

Charles could keep his residence of Birkhall yet still use Balmoral for occasions where it deemed the best thing to do as a king hosting state guest ect.

I guess only time will tell what Charles will change as far as his preferred residences once the time comes.

I would be surprised if Charles decides to leave Balmoral to the National Trust of Scotland. Balmoral is privately owned, worth quite a lot of money, has a lot of royal history dating back c170 years and loved and used by the family.

The Castle of Mey was a substantially smaller property with no royal lineage in a very remote part of Scotland, having been bought by the Queen Mother as a restoration project in her long widowhood. I can see why it was left to the nation, as I doubt any member of the BRF would have wanted to take it on.

Although I don't know all the news, I counted: Buckingham Palace; Clarence House; Windsor Castle; Sandringham House; Highgrove House; the place in Wales; the place on the Scilly Isles; Balmoral Castle; Birkhall; and the Palace of Holyrood House as Prince Charles' potential homes when he becomes king. It's stunning and Prince Charles, years ago, did not want Chevening House in Kent. Prince William could take over Highgrove and Birkhall and the place on the Scilly Isles and Clarence House. Gracious me!

"the place on the Scilly Isles" is not a royal home, but one of many properties owned by the Duchy and let out commerically.

I've found the source that said it was held in Trust, its some random book so possibly not up to date but nothing would surprise me with the RF.

Also I'd forgotten, Charles also uses Castle of Mey for a week or so....he could end up with access (if not ownership) of 5 properties in Scotland...Holyrood, Balmoral, Birkhall, Mey and Dumfries House.
He doesn’t stay at Dumfries house. He just visits

I bought in Highgrove shop by internet Royal items : a small gardening hand Fork and a small gardening hand Trowel , they are built to last a lifetime ! It is written Highgrove on the hanger . The price 14.95 Pounds each . I also bought postcards from Highgrove. When the postman came I had to pay 25,09 euros because Brexit.
I am happy starting gardening in my small garden next Spring with items of the home of King Charles III.

Any news about Charles's continued use of Highgrove since becoming King?

Any news about Charles's continued use of Highgrove since becoming King?

What kind of news are you expecting? As far as I know, it remains HM's preferred weekend home. I just don't see him part with Highgrove in a hurry.

Highgrove is part of the Duchy of Cornwall, so nowadays William has control of the house. It is no longer Charles's to do as he pleases but I assume an arrangement was made. At the time there were reports that he is leasing it.

Highgrove is part of the Duchy of Cornwall, so nowadays William has control of the house. It is no longer Charles's to do as he pleases but I assume an arrangement was made. At the time there were reports that he is leasing it.

I always thought when the time was appropriate that Highgrove would be leased by Harry but obviously not now.

Back
Top Bottom