The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Courtier

How much time do each of the royals generally spend at Balmoral in the summer? Is it generally just the Queen and Philip who stay the full two months?

Likewise, how long do each of the royals stay st Sandringham at Christmas? I hope they don't all just abandon the Queen after a couple of days.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Likewise, how long do each of the royals stay st Sandringham at Christmas? I hope they don't all just abandon the Queen after a couple of days.
I've read that most everyone leaves except Edward and Sophie. Their family stays through the holidays (New Year). Can anyone confirm that?

Old 12-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Charles spends most of August and September at Birkhall and Camilla spends a few weeks there with him.

The Queen and Philip are there throughout - although Philip does sometimes come south to visit family and friends.

The others visit for varying lengths of time - William and Harry for the odd weekend, Andrew and the girls for a weekend before Philip arrives as they usually have Sarah with them, the Wessexes usually for a couple of weeks and then to somewhere summery for the rest of the school holidays, Anne usually for a week or so but not always with her children. So largely the Queen and Philip for the two months and like many people whose children have grown and left home often just the two of them.

Sandringham - again the Queen and Philip for most of December, all of January and the first week or so of February. William and Kate have their country home there so they are around a lot. Charles and Camilla about 20 hours, Andrew and the girls a little longer (only because they are lower in the line of succession and so have to arrive before Charles), Edward etc stay for longer and Anne it depends on what her kids are doing but they usually leave on Christmas Day or Boxing Day to go to the other side of the family so again - for most of the time there it is just the two of them with the occasional visit from children or grandchildren.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Iluvberie, for all the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Charles spends most of August and September at Birkhall and Camilla spends a few weeks there with him.

The Queen and Philip are there throughout - although Philip does sometimes come south to visit family and friends.

The others visit for varying lengths of time - William and Harry for the odd weekend, Andrew and the girls for a weekend before Philip arrives as they usually have Sarah with them, the Wessexes usually for a couple of weeks and then to somewhere summery for the rest of the school holidays, Anne usually for a week or so but not always with her children. So largely the Queen and Philip for the two months and like many people whose children have grown and left home often just the two of them.

Sandringham - again the Queen and Philip for most of December, all of January and the first week or so of February. William and Kate have their country home there so they are around a lot. Charles and Camilla about 20 hours, Andrew and the girls a little longer (only because they are lower in the line of succession and so have to arrive before Charles), Edward etc stay for longer and Anne it depends on what her kids are doing but they usually leave on Christmas Day or Boxing Day to go to the other side of the family so again - for most of the time there it is just the two of them with the occasional visit from children or grandchildren.
Wow! 20 hours for Charles and Camilla. Is there some reason Charles doesn't much like Sandringham? Bad memories?

Also, didn't know that others 'have to' arrive before Charles. Is that why Charles arrives so late? To allow others more flexibility?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Wow! 20 hours for Charles and Camilla. Is there some reason Charles doesn't much like Sandringham? Bad memories?

Also, didn't know that others 'have to' arrive before Charles. Is that why Charles arrives so late? To allow others more flexibility?
I think its basically that Charles has other places he prefers to be at like Highgrove or Birkhall. Charles is also the kind of guy that always has things going on he's got to do so its not surprising that he'd be one of the last to arrive at Sandringham. Camilla always leaves after lunch on Christmas Day to head to her own family while Charles retreats to Birkhall.

As far as arriving in the order of precedence, I think that's applicable to the formal Christmas Eve dinner and going into dinner and being seated. No connection as to when and how the members of the family actually arrive to stay at Sandringham. Some of the family don't even stay at the "Big House".
Old 12-10-2017, 02:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The order of arrival at Sandringham is determined by reverse order of line of succession so that the staff delivering stuff to rooms can finish one family before the next one arrives - so the Chatto's are in their room/s and the staff are then free to assist the Snowdon's and then the Philip's, Wessexes, Yorks and finally the Wales'. Of course Harry only stays at the big house now when William and Kate aren't at Anmer preferring their less formal approach to being at the big house although he does go across there for the Christmas Eve events - dinner and present opening - and the morning events such as the two church services, lunch and the Christmas message.

The first to arrive - the Chattos - do so about 2.00 p.m. while Charles and Camilla are scheduled for about 6.00. They then both leave after the Queen's speech at 3.00 p.m. - Camilla to go to her own children and grandchildren while Charles heads to the quiet of Birkhall for about a week on his own with no family. Camilla usually joins him, weather permitting, for New Year.

Everything around the Queen is run like clockwork and this is no different with specified arrival times.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The BRF traditionally spent their Christmases at Sandringham in George V and VI day. That had been so for over 30 years. They didn't have the Xmas walk in front of adoring members of the public in those earlier days though.

Queen moves Christmas festivities | Daily Mail Online
But
Queen's ex-footman on Christmas with the Royal family - Telegraph

There is no train to Balmoral. There is a train to Inverness (including a sleeper) then journey by car or alternatively, a flight to Inverness then a car drive, for most of the guests. It is a fairly isolated estate.
I think the Royals normally fly into Aberdeen airport, if arriving by air, rather than Inverness. My sister lives near Aberdeen and has seen various members of the Royal Family at the airport.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

I think of all the places that the BRF owns or has access to, this is the one place I would stay at and never leave, up in the mountains, with tons of trees and wild life and a home made of stone with history. Just a gorgeous place and sad that the younger generation takes no interest in it for future generations to use.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
I think of all the places that the BRF owns or has access to, this is the one place I would stay at and never leave, up in the mountains, with tons of trees and wild life and a home made of stone with history. Just a gorgeous place and sad that the younger generation takes no interest in it for future generations to use.
It does not look inviting to me. I am not a fan of big drafty houses, and especially those big stone piles. Give me a cozy cottage any day. I can understand the lack of interest by the younger set. If I were in the situation to have access, I'd likely build a new lodge, much smaller, with all the modern amenities. Just me.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Let it snow! Let it snow!

https://www.facebook.com/balmoralcas...42/?fallback=1
Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

What a difference two months make! All the snow is gone! Spring is springing!
Old 04-21-2018, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its absolutely beautiful. Of all the places that is used by the House of Windsor, Balmoral is my second favorite estate. My favorite though is the Castle of Mey which was the Queen Mother's.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Gorgeous photo
Old 04-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Serene Highness

No wonder the Queen loves it!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
When Charles becomes King, I don't see him using Balmoral. He should let his older sister, Anne use it. She is popular among Scots than the rest of them!!!

Charles downsizing the British monarchy won't do well for the family. The junior royals should be embraced, such as the Princesses of York.

Balmoral Castle will probably be used by Charles and Camilla once in a while. I see him using Birkhall as it is right now as his Scottish holiday as King.
There's an article floating around the Internet from several years ago that Charles will probably give Balmoral to the Scottish nation as a museum/historic site and retain Birkhall as his personal residence when in Scotland. I also don't see his siblings and their children (except perhaps for the Princess Royal and her children) being particularly close to Charles once he ascends the throne.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Can someone tell me why Charles wouldn't use Balmoral? Does he not like it for some reason? He spends quite a bit of time in Scotland. He moved into Birkhall once the Queen Mother passed away as that was hers. But I don't see why Charles wouldn't move into Balmoral once he is King.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its quite possible that Charles is quite settled and content living at Birkhall. Like the Queen Mum did with the Castle of Mey, putting Balmoral into a trust owned by the Scottish nation.

This not only returns historic lands and the castle to the people of Scotland, but it also eliminates the personal responsibility for the upkeep of the Balmoral estate for Charles. Charles, as I know him to be, is big on preserving historic sites and keeping traditions alive.

He's never been the one to go big or go home or even have home be the biggest. The main draw now for the younger generation to visit Balmoral has always been the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh and I do think things are going to be quite different once they are no longer among us.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Commoner

This article from the Express explains why: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/64...cottish-nation

The royals are very cheap for being so wealthy. Yes, I know the whole arrangement of royal finances but still. Charles earned 22.5 million quid last year and will have a much larger income when he inherits the Duchy of Lancaster. He can't pay a few million out of pocket to keep up Balmoral? Gimme a break. They get discounts on shopping, they have billionaire friends who allow them to use their homes like their own (even if it's inconvenient for them) and he doesn't want to pay three million a year to maintain property? Though also, he has Birkhall practically next to Balmoral and it's a 53,000 acre estate in its own right, so it makes some sense.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

My problem w/ this scheme, if in fact it exists, is that it seems rather short sighted of Charles. It may be his personal desire based on his and Camilla's preference for the smaller Birkhall - but who knows what the future will bring, does he really want to forever give Balmoral away - depriving Prince George and his children of part of their heritage? What of when William is King perhaps he will want to host his brother and favorite cousins and their families at Balmoral, after all William and Catherine attended college in Scotland. Is Charles' goal to leave no personal real property to his heir and descendants?

Didn't George VI have to buy back Edward VIII's interest in Balmoral at great personal expense to avoid having the estate leave the main line of the Royals? What has changed since then that makes jettisoning the estate a good idea now?

I suppose since Balmoral is the Queen's personal estate she could leave Charles a life estate in Balmoral w/ the remainder to William when he becomes King thereby depriving Charles of the ability to give the estate away.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 PM
Majesty

I doubt if Charles would give up Balmoral. h e likes Scotland..a nd I know of no evidence that he wotn be friendly with his siblings in later years. They may not always get on, and he may disapprove of some things they've done but tey are his family..

« Buckingham Palace | - »