The Battenberg - Mountbattens

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Queen's confidante (and very close friend of Prince Philip), her cheating husband and a seemingly never-ending catalogue of misfortune... | Mail Online

She was a strikingly pretty girl who found herself living the daydream of millions of women: a *butcher’s daughter marrying into the Royal *Family and finding herself chatelaine of a vast and *historic country house set in 6,000 acres.

But when - in a few weeks’ time - the elegant Penny *Brabourne, 57, puts on a black and gold robe to be inaugurated as High Steward of Romsey, Hampshire, there will still be a desperate emptiness in her life few other women have known.

Poor Lady Brabourne!The only joy she has is her daughter Alexandra.I hope that she and Alexandra will manage to overcome all the problems.I think her husband will regret what he did ,the different problem is the son who could bring more problems with the woman he is going to marry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brabourne back with his lover

One minute he gives up his wife, family and one of the best known stately homes in the country to run off with a vivacious Caribbean beauty. The next, the object of his desire has dumped him.

Now, like a man caught in the vacillating plot of a TV soap opera, Prince Charles’ friend and cousin Lord Brabourne is back in Britain — and back in the arms of elegant Jeannie McWeeney, the widow of Bahamas-based tax-exile Sir Nicholas Nuttall and the woman who helped put an end to his 30-year marriage to his long-suffering wife, Penny, the carriage-driving confidante of Prince Philip.

While Penny and her daughter, Alexandra, 28, were receiving royal support as guests of the Queen at Sandringham this weekend — it is the second time in a month that Lady Brabourne has been invited to the Norfolk estate — her estranged husband has been at his home in Belgravia with Jeannie.
Read more: Brabourne back with his lover | Mail Online

Did Mountbattens attend the royal wedding?

I wondered about that, too. I can't imagine that no member of the family attended the wedding...

Lenora said:
Did Mountbattens attend the royal wedding?

I wondered that myself; they are not so high profile as the international royalsor younger aristocrats so it would be easy for the press to overlook them; the Countess Mountbatten is Prince Charles' godmother I believe and ought to have been there.

I also recently saw the Countess in a 90th birthday documentary on Prince Philip; is she in good health? It always seems that she needs to be propped up.

Countess Mountbatten and Lord Braebourne both attended the Wedding. They were seated well behind the Royal Family.:flowers:

If I recall correctly, also Lady Brabourne attended William and Catherine's wedding.

:previous: Together with Norton?

Lady Penny has been seen quite frequently in the last weeks.

Here she watched the procession for the Order of the Garter together with Sarah Chatto:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/14slcsx.jpg
http://oi55.tinypic.com/1z3tco3.jpg

Together with Princess Anne and the Gloucesters at Ascot:

http://oi53.tinypic.com/2dj3o2f.jpg
http://oi56.tinypic.com/35jfozs.jpg
http://oi56.tinypic.com/66ynb4.jpg

Earlier this year, Penny and her daughter Alexandra joined the Queen and the DoE at the Royal Windsor Horse Show:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/xbz2is.jpg
http://oi56.tinypic.com/ip4brs.jpg

She looks fantastic! Well maybe this separation is for the best (although I wouldn't have wanted to go down that way with my husband) but since we don't know the specifics of the relationship.

Thanks for updating,but on the last photo with her daughter and HM Lady Penny looks very sad,deeply sad....

Lady Brabourne looks nice in these pics. A bit tired maybe, but I don't think she has lost much of her beauty and radiance. Thank you for the photos, Dierna23! :flowers:

Is Lord Brabourne still in the Caribbean? You definitely see her more with the BRF than him. Or just plain out and about in England these days than him.

She does look fantastic!

Last edited:
What an outfit he's wearing.

She's 86, for goodness sakes!!! Of course her age is finally showing.

Strolling with his father, the tattooed ex-drug addict heir to £100m Mountbatten fortune

In suede jacket, checked shirt and smart loafers, the grey-haired gentleman walking down the street is a picture of well-to-do respectability. A few paces ahead, with cropped hair, tattoos and jogging pants, is a young man who looks like life has dealt him a somewhat tougher hand. But although they appear to come from opposite ends of the social spectrum, this is, in fact, father and son.

Interesting article, except they are wrong is saying the son is also known as Lord Romsey. That was his fathers courtesy title as the heir to the Earldom of Mountbatten of Burma and remains technically his even though he is now Lord Brabourne having inherited his fathers peerage. The sons only style is "Honorable", both as the son of Lord Romsey and Lord Brabourne.

It is nice that he may be recovering from his addictions, although I do hope his parents have done everything possible to protect the fortune and the estate. Addicts have a tendancy to backslide.

Thanks for the article!
It is a real ordeal for any parent to deal with problems a child may encounter. Hopefully Lord Nicholas will be able to overcome the difficulties in his life.

^ Well, I for one would like to see Alexandra Knatchbull inherit the estate. She seems like a hardworking, intelligent girl and an excellent daughter unlike her terrible brother. Of course, she won't be able to inherit the title, but I've never understood the preference to have a sub-par male manage the estate rather than any female at all.

Once a junkie, always a junkie. People who stop taking drugs, are still addicts mentally for the rest of their lives, and often just transfer the attention of their addiction to some other thing or action. If they want the estate the survive, it should go to Alexandra, who could still keep the family line going, though without the accompanying title.

On a side note, I find it rather interesting that Nicholas Knatchbull has no wikipedia aritcle despite his very eventful life, and yet Alexandra does. I think someone (perhaps close to the family) has removed it from wiki and now has Nicholas' link directing you back to his father's page. Hmmm...

Last edited:
The article stated that the parents had thought about disinheriting Nicholas, in which case the estate would have gone to Alexandra, right? But the old traditions about inheriting tiles, and even family estates, are still strong in the United Kingdom. Brothers also still come before sisters in the succession to the throne. I guess it wouldn't be totally impossible to have Alexandra inherit the estate instead, if Nicholas is unable to stay away from drugs. But inheriting a title would be harder.

I guess it wouldn't be totally impossible to have Alexandra inherit the estate instead, if Nicholas is unable to stay away from drugs. But inheriting a title would be harder.

The money of the Mountbattens comes mostly from Edwina nee Ashley, who inherited Broadlands from her father's side and millions in money plus other estates via her late mother, who was a daughter and heiress of banking magnate Sir Ernest Cassel. Edwina was after the death of her father raised by her maternal grandfather and became his heiress.

As the estae and money came over a female inheritance, it is surely not entailed, so Countess Mountabtten could leave a safe trust form her grandson to care for him even though he is an addict. but leave the rest via her son to Alexandra. No problem, I guess, as this is not old nobility money. When her father suceeds to her grandmother's earldom, Alexandra will become Lady Alexandra anyway, so she'll have her own title.

Wow. Well what can you say to that? The girl is lovely but out of her own mouth she admits that its " not cool" to even be associated with the royal family. What kind of statement is that? She may be a good influence on Nicholas but I dont think she would have been ready to become a Baroness. I dont think she was ready for the responsibility or the seriousness of the future. Too bad, it would have been nice to see Nicholas happy with someone stable at his side. Lets just hope he can stay clean and sober on his own.

Angelica Hicks, daughter of Ashley Hicks and his ex-wife Allegra and granddaughter of David and Lady Pamela Hicks, attended a launch party for Roger Vivier's Prismick Fall/Winter 2012 collection (pictured here with her mother).

Roger Vivier: A Walk on the Chic Side reception - Tatler

Another Mountbatten is also pictured on Tatler's website - The Marchioness of Milford Haven attended a book launch party for author Nicholas Coleridge

Launch party for The Adventuress by Nicholas Coleridge - Tatler

Back
Top Bottom