State Visit from the President of South Africa: 22-24 November

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first State Visit for Charles as Monarch and William as Prince of Wales :previous:

I am absolutely delighted that the first State Visit is from a Commonwealth country.

Does William participate, then? I am totally new into British State Visits.

It's not inherent that he will, but the King was involved in most state visits when he was heir apparent, usually as the person who collected the visiting heads of state to bring them to the arrival ceremony.

Does William participate, then? I am totally new into British State Visits.

It is not necessarily required that the Prince and Princess of Wales participate, but it would be unusual for them not to.

I see, thanks all for replying.

I wonder if the Prince and Princess of Wales will attend the banquet typically hosted by the Lord Mayor on the second night of the state visit. I hope they do, I have always thought it odd that in the last reign, it was usually left to the Gloucesters to attend.

It will be interesting to see which members of the British RF will be present at the State Gala.

State Visits are the one occasion when a number of non-working royals e.g. the Michael's of Kent were usually brought out ... but as they have retired from public life I am not expecting to see them. Whether The late Queen's cousins, who have usually attended in the past, will attend this time we will have to wait and see.

As a result of Charles' reported 'slimming down' I expect Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim only.

State Visits are the one occasion when a number of non-working royals e.g. the Michael's of Kent were usually brought out ... but as they have retired from public life I am not expecting to see them. Whether The late Queen's cousins, who have usually attended in the past, will attend this time we will have to wait and see.

As a result of Charles' reported 'slimming down' I expect Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim only.

I agree, we will see a smaller royal contingent at the banquet. The Kent’s are unlikely to be present, query if the Gloucesters are present?

If the Gloucester's and working Kent's don't attend - and I don't expect them to do so - that will be six fewer royals than at the last State Banquet.

If the Gloucester's and working Kent's don't attend - and I don't expect them to do so - that will be six fewer royals than at the last State Banquet.

Why wouldn't they attend?

Assuming C&C, W&C, Edward & Sophie and Anne & Tim join, that will be 8 royals for a gathering of about 150 guests. Add in the PM, the Archbishop of Canterbury and some senior Ministers attending, and I think you will have enough of the UK team to cover the visiting delegation well.

I hope the Gloucester's still attend. From a purely selfish point of view, the Duchess's jewels are divine and I will miss seeing them.

Surely that’s more than enough??

The Michael's of Kent never said they were retiring it was just something the Daily Mail reported. Prince Michael was at an engagement the other day in one of his honorary naval roles. The princess now walks with a cane so if she doesn't go it will probably be because of mobility problems more than anything else. I can see Prince Michael attending the Festival of Remembrance too even if his wife doesn't. Charles will probably continue to invite the Michael's to everything his mother did with the possible exception of Trooping the Colour which I think will now be only for official working royals.

Glad to see the Gloucester's are still on Guildhall duty. Many more years of admiring the Duchess's tiaras and jewels to come.

Glad to see the Gloucester's are still on Guildhall duty. Many more years of admiring the Duchess's tiaras and jewels to come.

It would be better if Anne or the Wessexs took on this role on a regular basis. The Duke isn't even the Monarch's cousin anymore, he's very, very junior ranking now.

He is still HRH The Duke of Gloucester, grandchild of a former monarch (and senior-male line for those whom that might matter to) who has given up his professional life as an architect to serve the crown - all of that hasn't changed one bit.

Calling him 'very, very junior ranking' seems somewhat mean-spirited. And clearly Charles doesn't consider him a junior royal or he would not have asked him and his wife for this important duty of accompanying a visiting head of state - nor to represent him during one of the Remembrance activities a few days ago.

I am going to suggest that the itinerary for the incoming State Visit from the Republic of South Africa had already been approved prior to the late Queen's death a little over two months ago. With the Queen's passing, of course there are now going to be adjustments as King Charles is now the Head of State instead of the heir. The Wales will now step into the role that Charles and Camilla were likely slated.

The second day events were likely already set with the Earl of Wessex and the Gloucesters so perhaps it was deemed unnecessary to make any adjustments to those days.

Nothing against the Gloucester's, but I think the Prince and Princess of Wales should take that role up.

It would be better if Anne or the Wessexs took on this role on a regular basis. The Duke isn't even the Monarch's cousin anymore, he's very, very junior ranking now.

HM the KIng seems to disagree with you ...

Nothing against the Gloucester's, but I think the Prince and Princess of Wales should take that role up.
But then the now King and Queen also didn't take that role when Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. It have always been other royals like the Duke and Duchess of Kent, or Prince and Princess Michael of Kent or the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

Perhaps the Earl and Countess of Wessex will take that over at some point.

HM the KIng seems to disagree with you ...

Well it's not really a matter of agreeing or not, they are junior ranking as a fact. The Duke is now only the King's second cousin.

But then the now King and Queen also didn't take that role when Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. It have always been other royals like the Duke and Duchess of Kent, or Prince and Princess Michael of Kent or the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

Perhaps the Earl and Countess of Wessex will take that over at some point.

Yes Sophie and Edward would be ideal as would Anne who has attended before.

Back
Top Bottom