The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

While succession to British peerages is automatic in principle and by convention the successor begins using his new title after the funeral of his father, the new peer is required to prove his succession and be registered on the Roll of the Peerage before he is permitted to use his new title in legal documents. I am not sure if Charles will go to that trouble as I doubt he will ever have the need to use the Edinburgh title in a legal document.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 AM
Serene Highness

Could Camilla be now know as Duchess of Cornwall and Edinburgh?

Old 04-09-2021, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

She isn't known as the Duchess of Cornwall and Rothesay, and Rothesay is a more historically important title than Edinburgh.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:57 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Now that Charles is the new Duke of Edinburgh, will he have to wait until he is king to pass the title onto Edward?
I didn't know Charles was going to inherit Philip's titles. I thought it was going back to the Crown and the queen would pass it to Edward
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_of_Berkshire View Post
Curious if for the Earl of Wessex's birthday next March, we see him given the title of Duke of Edinburgh?
Doesn't the title belong to Prince Charles now, as he is the oldest son?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

She is known as The Duchess of Cornwall everywhere but in Chester and Scotland. In Scotland she is known as The Duchess of Rothesay and in Chester as the Countess of Chester.

The Cornwall and Rothesay titles are never used together.

It is possible that Charles may ask the Queen if he could use Duke of Cornwall and Edinburgh when in Cornwall. If he does, and the Queen gives her consent, then yes Camilla would be able to use Duke of Cornwall and Edinburgh everywhere but in Scotland or Chester where she doesn't use Duchess of Cornwall.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Interestingly, the death announcement from the royal court refers to HRH not as His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh but as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.royal.uk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
I didn't know Charles was going to inherit Philip's titles. I thought it was going back to the Crown and the queen would pass it to Edward
See here for a detailed explanation.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...tle-24343.html
Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leticia.h View Post
When the title was created for Philip the normal remainder was included 'heirs male of the body lawfully begotten'.

When Edward married in 1999 it was announced that the title would be recreated for him after it merged with the Crown after the death of both the Duke and The Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Interestingly, the death announcement from the royal court refers to HRH not as His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh but as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

https://www.royal.uk/
That is his correct title according to the Letters Patent issued in 1957 when The Queen created Philip as The Prince Philip.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She is known as The Duchess of Cornwall everywhere but in Chester and Scotland. In Scotland she is known as The Duchess of Rothesay and in Chester as the Countess of Chester.

The Cornwall and Rothesay titles are never used together.

It is possible that Charles may ask the Queen if he could use Duke of Cornwall and Edinburgh when in Cornwall. [...]
Did you mean "when in Edinburgh"?

ETA: Although would it then be The Duke of Rothesay and Edinburgh?

Quote:
That is his correct title according to the Letters Patent issued in 1957 when The Queen created Philip as The Prince Philip.
But he was usually referred to by the palace as HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

No - I am suggesting that when in Cornwall, when Charles uses the Duke of Cornwall title he uses Cornwall and Edinburgh. He only uses Cornwall when in Cornwall or when attending events for the Duchy of Cornwall.

When in Scotland he would use Rothesay and Edinburgh.

I doubt it would happen but it would be a way to remember Philip for the rest of the Queen's reign.

Quote:
But he was usually referred to by the palace as HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
True but his death notice would always have his full title. Prince and Duke.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
While succession to British peerages is automatic in principle and by convention the successor begins using his new title after the funeral of his father, the new peer is required to prove his succession and be registered on the Roll of the Peerage before he is permitted to use his new title in legal documents. I am not sure if Charles will go to that trouble as I doubt he will ever have the need to use the Edinburgh title in a legal document.
Correct, see the link below for the relevant Royal Warrant.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...7314/page/7320

Quote:

3. Any Peer who is not entered on the Roll shall not:

(a) be entitled to any precedence attaching to his Peerage;

(b) be addressed or referred to by any title attaching to his Peerage .
Quote:

True but his death notice would always have his full title. Prince and Duke.

I expect the Garter King of Arms to proclaim all his British titles at the funeral as usual for members of the Royal Family. Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to see it.

From the Wikipedia, including Commonwealth orders (I am not sure the order of the post-nominals letters is right):

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, KG, KT, OM, GCVO, GBE, AK, ONZ, QSO, GCL, CC, CMM, PC, PC, ADC

Note: The two PC's above refer to the Privy Council in the UK and the Queen's Privy Council for Canada.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Gentry

another question, will Camillla now be known as the duchess of cornwall and edingbourgh?
Old 04-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen dolly View Post
another question, will Camillla now be known as the duchess of cornwall and edingbourgh?
No, she's teh Duchess of Cornwall....
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen dolly View Post
Probably not.

She would only be known as both if Charles starts to use both when in Cornwall.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

One thing that struck me today ... I was watching the Coronation and Philip taking his oath of allegiance to The Queen. There is now only one peer alive who made that oath at her coronation - The Duke of Kent who swore allegiance after his Uncle The Duke of Gloucester who followed The Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Kent was 17 years old at the time.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I noticed that in the announcement of Buckingham Palace Philip was called The Prince Philip.
Why and when is ‘The’ used before ‘Prince(ss)’?
Old 04-09-2021, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I noticed that in the announcement of Buckingham Palace Philip was called The Prince Philip.
Queen Elizabeth II has reserved it for her husband and children, but in the past it was used indiscriminately albeit not very consistently for all princes and princesses.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Usually as the child of the Sovereign. The Queen made an exception for Philip. I don't know how widely it was used more than a few generations ago.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

The College of Arms:

The Titles of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

The Duke of Edinburgh was granted the style and title of Royal Highness on 19 November 1947; on the next day, 20 November, he was created Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich, of Greenwich in the County of London.

These peerages are hereditary and on the death of His Royal Highness have passed to his eldest son, HRH The Prince of Wales. In the event of the Prince of Wales or any subsequent holder of these titles succeeding to the Crown, these titles and all others held will merge with the Crown.

His Royal Highness was made a Prince of the United Kingdom by Letters Patent of the present Queen dated 22 February 1957. A declaration of the same date communicated Her Majesty’s will and pleasure that her husband be known as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

His Royal Highness’s style and titles will be declared at his funeral by Garter Principal King of Arms, in accordance with custom.

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/news-grants/news/item/187-hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh
Old 04-10-2021, 08:19 AM
Majesty

I checked the Roll of the Peerage today at the site of the College of Arms and Prince Phiiip apparently is still listed as Duke of Edinburgh.

In theory, under the Royal Warrant of 2004, successors to a peerage must petition the Lord Chancellor to be included in the roll presenting proof of succession. I don't think that will be a problem for the PoW thoigh and I suggest we keep monitoring the roll for updates.

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/i...he_Peerage.pdf

Tags
dukedom, royal dukes, styles and titles