Order of Precedence 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

james

Nobility
City
glasgow
Country
United Kingdom
I see that in the order of precedence at court Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra have been ranked directly after the Queen and thus in front of Camilla, Sophie and the other ladies supposedley on the premise they were born Royal (although this was never the case before Charles and Camilla were married). Logically then, among the females, Princess Beatrice will rank directly after the Queen when she turns 18 next year but if William marries where would his wife be placed?

Am I alone in thinking that between Louise being called Lady, when she should be Princess, and these new rules of precedence it is becoming increasingly difficult to understand how things "work" in the Royal Family anymore? Rules that existed for generations and worked very well are now suddenly being changed willy nilly to suit individuals. Everything seems to have gone haywire.

I think the Royal Family is making up new rules as they go along (although they don't want to admit it).

Diana was not placed after the ladies born into the family, and I don't think there is any precedent for making the wife of the Prince of Wales follow other women, besides the Queen, on this list. My guess is that this is a response to Camilla's unpopularity among Diana fans (of which I am one).

Yes I agree with you but I don't think it's so much to appease Diana fans. I think it has been done because many people in the establishment, perhaps including the Queen herself, are finding it difficult to accept Camilla as a fully legitimate member of the Royal Family. The thought of her taking precedence over people like Anne is, I think, uncomfortable for some people. However I think if she's in she's got to be in 100% because there has to be continuity otherwise it makes a mockery of the institution. I am not her greatest fan but all these changes are starting to make the Royal Family lose credibility.

Last edited:
I wonder what Charles thinks of this development. It's possible that he and Camilla are in full agreement, but it just seems strange that he and Camilla would have such different positions in the order of precedence. I wonder where, if anywhere, Tim Laurence is in this list, or where Anglus Ogilvy was.

Before the Wedding,it was said that Princess Anne and some of the Royal Ladies felt uncomfortable to curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall.So i think although they said that "The Duchess is the Duchess not a Princess" and she feels "comfortable" with the new arrangment but i think truthly they all have their purpose in that.Maybe some said that The Queen gets along well with the Duchess of Cornwall but i still do not think so.Although she is the Duchess but legally according to the Government she is the Princess of Wales and can legally becomes Queen when her husband inherit the throne.It's the law from the Goverment not just say she likes or not like.And anyway,the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales.Although she refers as the Duchess truthly other Royal Ladies must curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall.
And about the Countess of Wessex,although she is ranked lower than the Duchess of Cornwall but i'm sure that in the Queen's opinion,she still really refers the Countess of Wessex.She can rank the Duchess of Cornwall higher but it does not mean she refers and likes the Duchess of Cornwall.

This being justified by saying Camilla is a Duchess and not a Princess is nonsence and the Palace knows it. She is Princess Charles anyway even without calling herself Princess of Wales. With the logic the Palace is using Princess Michael would take precedence over Camilla, Sophie and the Duchess of Gloucester as she uses the title Princess. The fact is that all the Royal women who are known by a title other than Princess still hold the rank of Princess as their husbands are princes, including Camilla.

Last edited:
I don't think it is legit to say that camilla is all fine and happy about this arrangement b/c she supposely "does not care about such things" and only wants to make charles happy. I think it is nonsense and ppl should know better. After being sidelined all those years, it is highly probable that camilla thinks she deserves to have better precedence and prestige.

I understand Camilla's place in the order of precedence now, but could anybody tell me, as James asked, why Lady Louise is a Lady and not a Princess, although being the child of of male Royal Prince? Her cousins are Princesses of York, so why isn't she referred as "Princess of Wessex"?

iowabelle said:
I think the Royal Family is making up new rules as they go along (although they don't want to admit it).

Diana was not placed after the ladies born into the family, and I don't think there is any precedent for making the wife of the Prince of Wales follow other women, besides the Queen, on this list. My guess is that this is a response to Camilla's unpopularity among Diana fans (of which I am one).

I explained in a previous thread this is all proper and appropriate. And Diana's precedence at court was also after the Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Princess Anne (however, she came before Princess Alexandra). Court precedence usually calls for princesses of the blood royal to take precedence over princesses by marriage.

Official precedence differs and Camilla (as did Diana) comes directly after the Queen as the wife of the heir to the throne.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Before the Wedding,it was said that Princess Anne and some of the Royal Ladies felt uncomfortable to curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall.So i think although they said that "The Duchess is the Duchess not a Princess" and she feels "comfortable" with the new arrangment but i think truthly they all have their purpose in that.Maybe some said that The Queen gets along well with the Duchess of Cornwall but i still do not think so.Although she is the Duchess but legally according to the Government she is the Princess of Wales and can legally becomes Queen when her husband inherit the throne.It's the law from the Goverment not just say she likes or not like.And anyway,the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales.Although she refers as the Duchess truthly other Royal Ladies must curtsey to the Duchess of Cornwall.
And about the Countess of Wessex,although she is ranked lower than the Duchess of Cornwall but i'm sure that in the Queen's opinion,she still really refers the Countess of Wessex.She can rank the Duchess of Cornwall higher but it does not mean she refers and likes the Duchess of Cornwall.

This is not true. No one in the family curtesies to each other, regardless of their court or official precedence. The only person who receives a curtesy (or bow) from all is the Queen.

iowabelle said:

The so-called "rules" are determined by the Sovereign in consultation with the Prime Minister. It is entirely possible the Queen may eventually issue new letters patent which will change the rules regarding who is HRH and a prince/princess of the UK to "downsize" the royal family. Ideas have included limiting the HRH and prince/princess dignity to the children of the sovereign, the current heir to the throne and their eldest child. All other members of the family would be styled "the Lord/Lady Windsor" or retain a peerage title only.

None of this is in response to Camilla's so-called "unpopularity", which is nonsense. The royal family all knew and accepted Camilla long before the marriage and she has been welcomed into the fold.

I looked into this a little more today. Ingrid Seward says that Buckingham Palace said that Camilla's position was not a demotion, just a reflection of her wish to be called Duchess of Cornwall, not PoW.

I looked at Burke's Peerage, an old list admittedly (prior to Edward's marriage and Margaret's death). If "precedence calls for princesses of the blood royal to take precedence over princesses by marriage", why would a non-princess like Zara Phillips have precedence over a blood princess like Princess Margaret? And Zara is significantly ahead of Princess Alexandra (who deserves enormous respect).

I stand by my belief that a new order is being created, either to satisfy the wishes of the Royal Family, the Establishment, or that group of people who can't tolerate the idea of Camilla.

I just went to Insight, the magazine at the official website of the British Monarchy. There's a question in the April 2004 issue which deals with this problem. It states, "Precedence in the Royal Family is based around the line of succession." Then it goes on to state that spouses "are ranked accordingly alongside their respective parties."

So, under the old "rule" Camilla should be ranked alongside Charles (no matter what her title).

iowabelle said:
I looked into this a little more today. Ingrid Seward says that Buckingham Palace said that Camilla's position was not a demotion, just a reflection of her wish to be called Duchess of Cornwall, not PoW.

I looked at Burke's Peerage, an old list admittedly (prior to Edward's marriage and Margaret's death). If "precedence calls for princesses of the blood royal to take precedence over princesses by marriage", why would a non-princess like Zara Phillips have precedence over a blood princess like Princess Margaret? And Zara is significantly ahead of Princess Alexandra (who deserves enormous respect).

I stand by my belief that a new order is being created, either to satisfy the wishes of the Royal Family, the Establishment, or that group of people who can't tolerate the idea of Camilla.

Official precedence flows from your place (or your husband's) in the line of succession to the throne. Private, or court precedence, is determined by the Sovereign and is based on your position within the royal family, whether by blood or marriage, your title, status and style.

For example, Diana came after the Queen and the Queen Mother as Princess of Wales officially, because this reflected her place as the wife of the heir to the throne and future Queen Consort. Privately, her court precedence came after the Queen, the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and Princess Anne, but before all other female royals as the wife of Prince Charles and the mother of the heir and the spare.

Camilla is Duchess of Cornwall (legally she is Princess of Wales) and her official precedence follows the Queen as the wife of Prince Charles. Privately and at court, she takes precedence after the Sovereign and the princesses of the blood royal, but before the current wives of the princes of the blood royal. There is nothing remarkable about this and there is no issue.

Charles Moseley, the editor-in-chief of Debretts, says that Camilla's new position is a demotion.

iowabelle said:
Charles Moseley, the editor-in-chief of Debretts, says that Camilla's new position is a demotion.

It is a "demotion" in terms of the precedence Diana held as Princess of Wales, which Camilla does not hold at court. But Diana was also the mother of a future king, which gave her precedence in her own right, separate from her status as the wife of Prince Charles.

It is true Camilla will not hold the same precedence at court as Diana held, which the Palace made clear was the decison of the Queen and in line with Camilla's choosing to be known by her "lesser" title of Duchess of Cornwall, rather than Princess of Wales. It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal to Charles.

i read your posts about that!

Camilla is not Princess of Wales! but she is Duchess of Cornwall! and Diana is Princess of Wales and Sophie is Countess of Wessex also!

but i knew what Majesty Magazine Editors says that but Ingrid Seward knew everythings about Royals who known about titles cant took another titles! after Diana! if many people will hurt their feelings about their favorite Princess very much!

when Diana got divorces from Prince Charles Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales in publics nor Princess of Wales no matters for Diana! and also Sarah,Duchess of York also! but she known as Sarah,Duchess of York also after she got divorces from Prince Andrew or Sarah Fergusons whatevers her choices!

Sara Boyce

Perhaps I am wrong, but when Diana lost her HRH didn't she have to curtsy to the lesser royals like Princess Michael?

If so, it would seem that giving birth to a future monarch doesn't give a person precedence, apart from the marriage.

iowabelle said:
Perhaps I am wrong, but when Diana lost her HRH didn't she have to curtsy to the lesser royals like Princess Michael?

If so, it would seem that giving birth to a future monarch doesn't give a person precedence, apart from the marriage.

yes Diana lost titles HRH when she divorces from Prince Charles but Diana known as Diana,Princess of Wales or Princess of Wales in publics whatever what she really needs it.

and also sarah,duchess of york also lost HRH titles when she divorces from Prince Andrew in 1996 same years with Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

Prince Andrew and Sarah,Duchess of York separation in 1992 for years they plans divorces in 1996 they had custody of two girls.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana separation in 1992 and have no plans divorces they later HM Queen II urges to Prince Charles and Princess Diana for divorces and Princess Diana agrees to divorces its really rough! but the couples had two boys

Sara Boyce

It is a big deal to Charles.

It may not be; none of us know what he's really thinking. It's possible that this is a snub and he's beside himself with impotent fury; it's also possible that this is just the way things are done and he's perfectly happy about it.

We do know what he is thinking. For one he had camilla wear her wedding dress on the balcony; he most likely will have her made queen if he becomes king; he married her in the first place cuz he wants her to sit next to him, etc.

I think Charles is waiting for everybody to get used to Camilla being at his side. If Charles succeeds to the throne in 20 years or so, it might not be so difficult for people to accept Camilla as queen. (That's not my preference but he didn't ask me!)

Reina said:
We do know what he is thinking. For one he had camilla wear her wedding dress on the balcony; he most likely will have her made queen if he becomes king; he married her in the first place cuz he wants her to sit next to him, etc.

We don't know what he's thinking about this precedence business. A lot of people are assuming it's some sort of snub; it may well not be, and he may well be in agreement with the principle behind what the Queen did.

iowabelle said:

No, she did not. The Queen and the Palace made very clear at the time that Diana would remain a member of the royal family and be accorded the precedence she enjoyed during her marriage as the mother of Prince William.

And the royal family does not curtsey or bow to each other, regardless of their individual status. This is only extended to the Queen as Sovereign.

Diana's situation was unique and she was treated uniquely to the end of her life.

So she would not have to bow to anyone except the Queen?

Elspeth said:
It may not be; none of us know what he's really thinking. It's possible that this is a snub and he's beside himself with impotent fury; it's also possible that this is just the way things are done and he's perfectly happy about it.

I agree. It's hard to imagine why Prince Charles would be "furious" since this is the way these things are handled. I think people here care because they are still acting as if Diana passed away yesterday, instead of eight years ago.

Reina said:
So she would not have to bow to anyone except the Queen?

Diana continued to curtsey to the Queen and the Queen Mother, just as she did throughout her marriage. But never did she curtsey to anyone else in the family, nor was it expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom