Palace Het Loo & the Royal Domains, Apeldoorn

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's an exhibition on the young Royals of yesteryear at Het Loo Palace consisting of pictures once used for the Juventute calenders.

PPE Agency

courtesy PPE

Wonderful photos Lucien,really can't decide if I have a favourite,so much history attached to so many of them!

What spectacular Gardens!

Not sure if I like the globe fountains,maybe its just me but they look out of place?

What spectacular Gardens!

Not sure if I like the globe fountains,maybe its just me but they look out of place?

No no,they were part of the original design of the gardens Ann,maybe you feel different if you visit and exhale the whole place and enjoy the beauty of the total picture.:)

King Willem III was fond of trees, unusual plants, and seeds.
He had an arboretum at Het Loo Palace.

The landscapes of the Great Hall or Audience Chamber were painted by Johannes Glauber.
The room is also called the Abdication Room because it was here that King Willem I abdicated in 1840.

Inside, the walls of the staircase area and the main hall were painted with scenic perspectives to give the impression of being in the open. :flowers::flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The four main buildings at the royal domain Het Loo consist of:
- Castle Het Loo ("Het Oude Loo")
- Palace Het Loo
- House Het Loo ("Het Nieuwe Loo")
- The Royal Mews

House Het Loo is build in the early 1970's under the direction of the Amsterdam architect M. Evelein and is private property of Princess Margriet. In 1975, Princess Margriet and her family have taken up residence. The house consists of three parts: a private area, an official area and an office area where the new annexes were completed in 2010. These three parts are interconnected. The arboretum (tree garden) on which House Het Loo has a view, was built by order of King Willem III (1817-1890).

What will happen with the property when Princess Margriet and her spouse pass away? When one of her sons take up residence, it will mean that in due time a family without any royal role will live on a royal domain. I hope the King will acquire this property, it would be a fantastic house for Princess Catharina-Amalia.

Huis Het Loo, residence of Princess Margriet: http://bin.snmmd.nl/m/m1dzwkea38bk.jpg

Absolutely stunning and breathtaking ,and now a must see on my next visit to the Netherlands!

That's pretty cool. The Palace and gardens are so beautiful.

I had no idea the Palace and grounds are so lovely - amazing views from above.

Like the Royal Palace Amsterdam the past years, like Noordeinde 66 (the pied-à-terre of Princess Beatrix) the last year and Like Huis ten Bosch at the moment, also Palace Het Loo will undergo a extensive maintenance.

In the first place the technical installations will be renewed, the climate control will be modernized and asbestos will be removed. There will be an underground extension which was also done for the Royal House Archives and the Mauritshuis in The Hague: underground floors without disturbing the historic appearance.

The underground extension is needed to house and to exhibit the enormous historic collections of the Orange-Nassaus. Many of these artefacts, objects d'art and other items are stored in depôts. The historic salons and appartements in the palace itself do not give enough posibilities to exhibit, as these rooms need to show how they looked in their era and can not be "disturbed" by displays or something.

Five architect-bureaus have been requested to come with worked-out designs, plans and ideas for the underground extension. In 2016 furtherer decisions will be made. Anyway, one can not say the Dutch neglect their royal patrimonium. On the contrary... to my taste one can also "over-restorate", that things look "too spic-and-span"...

Last edited:
i think that's great news for het loo. i am sure there's many beautiful things that need to be housed and displayed and this will help to appropriately take care of them. i wonder if these rooms will be open to the public at some point.

Yes, that is the plan, now visitors come at the gates of the palace, in a sort of visitor center and walk through the palace. The idea is that there will be a large underground foyer with multimedia presentations and a garderobe, so that people can leave their coats and bagage in safes and walk through the palace like they are indeed guests in the house (and it is safer for the collections, when visitors do not carry wet coats of bags). The idea is that in the underground extensions salons from other palaces like Soestdijk or the Stadhouderly Court etc. can be recreated with the original furniture or ceilings or gobelins or other artefacts which once were used for these palaces but are now in depôt since the royal family makes no use anymore of these residences. In the "windows" in thse undergound salons and appartments then LED-screens can be used to recreate the original view the residents had from these salons.

The Palace Het Loo will be closed until 2018 for restorational reasons.

Paleis Het Loo vanaf 2018 dicht voor grote renovatie en uitbreiding - Koninklijk huis - RD.nl

The palace park, the Royal Stables and other parts of the Royal Domain remain open. The idea will be a sort of grand foyer in front of the palace, think about the glass pyramid in front of the Louvre. With the notable difference that no any disturbance is allowed in the present 17th C outlook and façade of the palace and the surrounding park. So it will be like the Mauritshuis, the former palace of Johan Maurits of Nassau in The Hague: a gigantic extension but when you are in front of it, you would not notice there is a whole world under your feet.

The construction of the underground extension of the Mauritshuis (picture)

Part of the underground extension of the Mauritshuis (picture)

The 17th C former city palace is back in old splendour, the King is walking on the street with -invisible- a gigantic extension under his feet (picture)

A friend of mine is a master-restorator at Het Loo Palace. This means that when he has a break, he can make a stroll through the royal park, with his colleagues. How great is that?

On one of his strolls the friend made some pictures of the weekend retreat of the royal family, which is located on the same domain as the famous palace:

Castle Het Oude Loo (hunting lodge) - weekend retreat of the royal family

Castle Het Oude Loo is surrounded by water and accessible by a long bridge

The large lake on the domains (once digged in the 17th C to feed the fountains near Het Loo Palace)

Tea Pavillion overseeing the lake

Tea Pavillion in excellent state, perfectly maintenanced

One of the drains for the circulation to the fountains looking like a panorama point

The "panorama point"

A little faun is overseeing the water spraying back into the lake

On this picture you can see the location of the weekend retreat at your right hand corner. The royal family can use the splendid palace for something ceremonial or formal and then retreat in privacy, just a stone-throw away. Together with the palace and the Royal Mews these form the three main buildings on the royal estate.

Last edited:
Splendid photos and the Het Loo Palace and grounds are my favourite of all the Dutch royal palaces.

Het Loo Palace museum will close in january 2018 due to extensive renovations and renewal of the complex that will take at least three years to complete.After 30 something years it's high time the Palace gets some attention in terms of removal of asbestos and a complete change of the Palace as the Museum as we know it today!With a Louvre-like Basse Coeur et tout.Have a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pYWA4Hlbc&ab_channel=PaleisHetLoo

The extension of the Mauritshuis in The Hague, the former palace of Prince Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen, was a great success. Also there a futuristic underground foyer and a minimal intrusion into the 17th C design. The plans for Het Loo reminds me to that.

What bothers me a bit is that the sidewing at the left (when standing in front) will have a completely new interior. It looks like all walls will be demolished, so that the whole wing becomes a sort of passage to the corps-de-logis. I am surprised that there is a permission for such a draconic change, or did I misunderstood the video?

The extension of the Mauritshuis in The Hague, the former palace of Prince Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen, was a great success. Also there a futuristic underground foyer and a minimal intrusion into the 17th C design. The plans for Het Loo reminds me to that.

What bothers me a bit is that the sidewing at the left (when standing in front) will have a completely new interior. It looks like all walls will be demolished, so that the whole wing becomes a sort of passage to the corps-de-logis. I am surprised that there is a permission for such a draconic change, or did I misunderstood the video?

"It looks like all walls will be demolished"...that is your observation,and it is not correct.

"It looks like all walls will be demolished"...that is your observation,and it is not correct.

Well around 0.40 one can clearly see a sort of passage with the silhouetto of a house going all the length of the wing, breaking the compartiments. Or do you see something else? It is certainly total different from the sidewing in current state.

I actually thought the same, on the drawings it looked like the inside got demolished and they built a new entresol. But I am glad that is not the case.

I wonder where the money comes from all of a sudden. The museum had some cuts not too long ago, when PM Rutte was cutting on 'left wing hobbies'. I saw a documentary where it seemed it was challenging to keep the garden up to date, it required more and more volunteers.

Do we know what is in the east wing of the palace? Much of it is not used.

There is a difference in the upkeep of properties of the State by the Rijksgebouwendienst (State Housing Agency) and the exploitation of Het Loo as a venue which has to provide as much revenues as possibl to keep the estate running.

Seeing the flood of new ministerial departments, police offices, armed forces complexes, palaces of Justice, the renovation of state monuments (including the royal residences, the Rijksmuseum, the whole Houses of Parliament in The Hague, the Raad van State, etc.) there seems sufficient budget for renovations or to build new buildings.

The maintenance, the staffing, the utilities, the preservation of historical collections, the extremely elaborate (and labour intensive) 17th C formal gardens, it simply swallows money. That will be the reason for the need to have volunteers aside the paid staff.

Maybe the State, Het Loo and the Royal House (the most important "deliverer" of collections via their foundations) thought that this enlargement is necessary to generate enough revenue to keep Het Loo in spic and span state.

They have promised that the 17th C feel of the palace would remain unchanged. The only visible change seems to be glass panels on the front courtyard around the fountain, becoming the ceiling of the enlargement below but luckily no glass pyramid like at the Louvre in Paris.

The extension plan also brings some sadness: this means that definitely Het Loo Palace will never be a royal residence anymore. Of course it still will remain venue for events but with such an extensive underground lay-out like museum galleries, a foyer, restaurant, depôts and offices it will defenitely remain a palace with a museal destination.

Under Queen Juliana, Soestdijk Palace became the main royal residence and the The Hague office of the Queen was Lange Voorhout House. Noordeinde Palace even -partly- became a school... (Institute for Social History), was used as a royal depôt, housed courtiers. Huis ten Bosch Palace was largely out of the picture.

Under Queen Beatrix Noordeinde Palace and Huis ten Bosch Palace got a major restoration. As did happen to the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and now -again- to Noordeinde Palace. This means that after decades of "neglect" these residences could become in royal usage again.

The same did count for Het Loo Palace. It was restored in sparkling state but mainly remained a royal residence with a museal destination. Yes, on the terrain there are public services, an admission desk, a ticket office, a souvenir shop, but it remains a palace. With this major and costly underground extension, Het Loo changes from a royal residence with a museal destination into an outright museum. Period. With such major works it is hard go see that -for an example- the Danish example could be followed and that the King will use all his residences for a period of the year. Het Loo included. The Danish example guarantees that all residences, think at Graasten, at Marselisborg, etc. remain "living" royal palaces.

I am condident that the State Buildings Agency, the State Monuments Agency, the Crown Domains, the Palace Het Loo, the Royal House, the House foundations which give their collections in usufruct, all together will be very careful to keep Het Loo a fabulous palace indeed, but it is clear that we can forget ever a Queen Catharina-Amalia taking residence there for summer months. After all, until the 1980's the palace still served as a residence to Princess Margriet and her family.

I like the intensive and continuous care of the Dutch for their patrimonium, but this enlargement sadly also means the definitive end of any possibility to become a regular royal venue again, as -luckily- happened to the two palaces in The Hague under Queen Beatrix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't realised Princess Margriet and her family use to live in the Palace? How come they moved out?

Back
Top Bottom