The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 4,839
They're royals so they don't have a surname. I suppose the Swedish royals would use Bernadotte as a surname if they ever need to.

Expressen noticed whoever filled out Princess Leonore's diplomatic passport document wrote "Bernadotte O'Neill" in the surname column even though she didn't need one.

See http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1670534
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-05-2016, 04:08 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 30,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
They're royals so they don't have a surname. I suppose the Swedish royals would use Bernadotte as a surname if they ever need to.

Expressen noticed whoever filled out Princess Leonore's diplomatic passport document wrote "Bernadotte O'Neill" in the surname column even though she didn't need one.

See http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1670534
When Daniel and Victoria got married, the Royal Court sent to the Tax Agency an application of the change of name: Daniel's new name was Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte.
Prins Daniel byter namn _ Nyheter _ Expressen
When Carl Philip and Sofia got married, the Royal Court sent to the Tax Agency an application of the change of name. It explained that they chose a common last name, Bernadotte.
Sofia Hellqvist byter namn till Bernadotte _ Nyheter _ Expressen

When Estelle was born, The Swedish Tax Agency decided that Princess Estelle does not have to carry a last name. She received an asterisk entered in the column of the registry office where the surname else should be - something that according to the Tax Agency itselfwas in conflict with the name law.
Skatteverket medger – bryter mot lagen när det gäller prinsessan Estelle _ Dagens Juridik
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-31-2020, 08:05 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Posts: 46
Choice of names in Bernadotte Sweden

Name in Italic denotes the "tilltalsnamn", which is the short name commonly used in official documents.

Carl XIV Johan was originally known as Jean Baptiste Jules Bernadotte.
His son, Oscar I, was originally known as Joseph François Oscar Bernadotte.
-
Oscar I has 5 children,
Carl Ludvig Eugen,
Frans Gustaf Oscar,
Oscar Frederik,
Charlotta Eugenia Augusta Amalia Albertina
Nikolaus August.
-
Carl Ludvig Eugen's children are Lovisa Josefina Eugenia and Carl Oscar Vilhelm Fredrik. Lovisa is named after Carl Ludvig Eugen's spouse, Louise of the Netherlands.
-
The tilltalsnamn of Oscar I's children were reused for Oscar II's children, but in a different order:
Oscar Gustaf Adolf (his father + Gustaf Adolf)
Oscar Carl August
Oscar Carl Wilhelm
Eugen Napoleon Nicolaus
These 4 names mirror Carl, Gustaf, Oscar and Eugenie. Nicolaus and August are also used as secondary names.
-
The names of Oscar Carl Wilhelm's children are as follows:
Margaretha Sofia Lovisa Ingeborg (Ingeborg is their mother)
Märtha Sofia Lovisa Dagmar Thyra (Lovisa is their grandmother)
Astrid Sofia Lovisa Thyra (Thyra is their grandfather's sister)
Carl Gustaf Oscar Fredrik Christian (Carl Gustaf Oscar takes the order from the first 3 children of Oscar I while Fredrik Christian takes the royal names from Denmark)
-
The names of Oscar Gustaf Adolf's children are as follows:
Oscar Fredrik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolf
Carl Wilhelm Ludvig (possibly taken from Carl Ludvig Eugen)
Erik Gustav Ludvig Albert
-
The names for Oscar Gustaf Adolf's grandchildren are as follows:
Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund (first 4 names taken from his father)
Sigvard Oscar Fredrik (also taken from his father)
Ingrid Victoria Sofia Louise Margaretha
Bertil Gustaf Oskar Carl Eugén (order taken from Oscar II's children)
Carl Johan Arthur
Gustaf Lennart Nicolaus Paul
-
The names of Gustaf Adolf Oscar Frederik Arthur Edmund's children are as follows:
Margaretha Desirée Victoria (possibly taken from Victoria of Baden)
Birgitta Ingeborg Alice (possibly taken from Ingeborg of Denmark)
Désirée Elisabeth Sibylla (possibly taken from Desiree Clary and Sibylla of SCG)
Christina Louise Helena (possibly taken from Stockholmsrännstensungen)
Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus (possibly taken from Carolus Gustavus, Folke Bernadotte and Hubertus of SCG)
-
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' children are as follows:
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée (more likely to be taken from Alice Sommerlath)
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil (possibly taken from Carolus Philippus and his great-uncle)
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
-
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' grandchildren are as follows:
Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary (taken from Estelle Manville, Silvia Sommerlath, Ewa Westling and Mary Donaldson)
Leonore Lilian Maria (taken from Lilian, Duchess of Halland)
Nicolas Paul Gustaf (possibly taken from Lennart)
Oscar Carl Olof
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (possibly taken from Erik of Västmanland, Hubertus of SCG and Bertil of Halland)
Gabriel Carl Walther (taken from Carl Philip and Walther Sommerlath)
Adrienne Josephine Alice (taken from Josephine of Leuchtenberg)
__________________
~ Mikael ᛗᛁᚲᚨᛖᛚ ~
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-31-2020, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,615
Just wanted to add that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's father was Vicomte Eugene de Beauharnais, the son empress Josephine had from her first marriage. He had married Anna Amalie of Bavaria, the daughter of king Maximilian I. and was created Duke of Leuchtenberg. Through her mother queen Josephine was the niece of an Austrian empress (formerly queen of Württemberg), a queen of Prussia and two queens of Saxony, first cousin of emperor Franz Joseph I. (through her mother's sister Sophie), his wife empress Elisabeth, her sister Marie queen of Naples-Two Sicilies, Mathilde of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (through her related to the Hohenzollerns), Sophie d'Alencon (of the French Bourbons), two kings of Saxony and a grand-duchess of Tuscany plus, of course, the Bavarian Royals. Through her father's side she was the niece of Louis Bonaparte and his wife Hortense de Beauharnais and thus first cousin of emperor Napoleon III. Napoleon III. A second cousin via the Beauharnais to the grandduchess of Baden Stephanie de Beauharnais's daughter Louise Amelie, who had married the Wasa-contender to the Swedish throne, prince Gustav of Wasa. Their only daughter married the first cousin of Josephine, king Albert of Saxony - with her ended the Wasa-line of Sweden, as her marriage ended childless.



So that's how the name Eugen came into the Bernadotte-family and how they were with one marriage related to most reigning Houses of their time, especially to the rulers themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-31-2020, 01:55 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The 6ix, Canada
Posts: 346
According to his sister Ingrid, Prince Gustav Adolf was always known to the family as "Edmund".

So, Oscar II named three of his sons Oscar... and stopped?

I've always wondered exactly who Victoria was named for. The Vasa princess wasn't terribly popular. I'd be more willing to bet CG and Silvia just liked the name.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-31-2020, 03:14 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0325.Mikael.0929 View Post
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' grandchildren are as follows:
Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary (taken from Estelle Manville, Silvia Sommerlath, Ewa Westling and Mary Donaldson)
Leonore Lilian Maria (taken from Lilian, Duchess of Halland)
Nicolas Paul Gustaf (possibly taken from Lennart)
Oscar Carl Olof
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (possibly taken from Erik of Västmanland, Hubertus of SCG and Bertil of Halland)
Gabriel Carl Walther (taken from Carl Philip and Walther Sommerlath)
Adrienne Josephine Alice (taken from Josephine of Leuchtenberg)
While it surely was a nice coincidence that there was another Erik in the royal family, I am pretty sure Alexander's second name was after his maternal grandfather. Just like Madeleine's eldest two have their maternal grandparents second (Maria for Eva Maria) and first (Paul) names as middle names (next to a name from their mother's family).
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-31-2020, 03:20 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
According to his sister Ingrid, Prince Gustav Adolf was always known to the family as "Edmund".

So, Oscar II named three of his sons Oscar... and stopped?

I've always wondered exactly who Victoria was named for. The Vasa princess wasn't terribly popular. I'd be more willing to bet CG and Silvia just liked the name.

I bet they thought it would sound good with the titel - Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria), as it undoubtedly does.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
I bet they thought it would sound good with the titel - Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria), as it undoubtedly does.
At the time of her birth, an eventual younger brother was supposed to be the next king. I don't know how much talk there had been on allowing women to succeed the throne at that point.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-31-2020, 04:25 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0325.Mikael.0929 View Post
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' children are as follows:
Victoria Ingrid Alice Desirée (more likely to be taken from Alice Sommerlath)
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil (possibly taken from Carolus Philippus and his great-uncle)
Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine
-
The names of Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus' grandchildren are as follows:
Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary (taken from Estelle Manville, Silvia Sommerlath, Ewa Westling and Mary Donaldson)
Leonore Lilian Maria (taken from Lilian, Duchess of Halland)
Nicolas Paul Gustaf (possibly taken from Lennart)
Oscar Carl Olof
Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (possibly taken from Erik of Västmanland, Hubertus of SCG and Bertil of Halland)
Gabriel Carl Walther (taken from Carl Philip and Walther Sommerlath)
Adrienne Josephine Alice (taken from Josephine of Leuchtenberg)

Victoria: Victoria (Victoria of Baden) Ingrid (her great aunt Queen Ingrid of DenmarK) Alice (her maternal grandmother) Desiree (for her godmother Princess Desiree of Sweden0

Carl Philip: Carl (his father among others) Edmund (his grandfather who was known as Edmund) Bertil (his great Uncle who was also his godfather)

Madeleine: Josephine (Josephine of Leuchtenberg) oddly the only sibling who doesn't have a name in honor of a godparent.

Estelle: Countess Estelle Bernadotte, her two grandmothers, CP Mary

Oscar: Oscar (for past kings) Carl (grandfather) Olof (Daniel's legal first name, Daniel is his middle name). Like his sister he also shares a name with a godparent, in his case Oscar Magnuson.

Alexander: Erik (his maternal grandfather), Hubertus (paternal grandfather) Bertil (his father's great Uncle, a name he shares with his father)

Gabriel: Carl (his dad and grandfather) Walther (his dad's maternal grandfather)

Leonor: Leonor (is a form of Eleanora which is the name of a previous queen), Lilian (mother's great aunt) Maria (paternal grandmother Eva Maria)

Nicolas: Paul (his paternal grandfather Paul Oneil) Gustaf (maternal grandfather)

Adrienne: Josephine (while a royal name was used in honor of Chris' grandmother Josephine Cesario), Alice (Madeleine's maternal grandmother)
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,718
I thought the "Ingrid" in Crown Princess Victoria's name was in honor of her father's former nanny.

I imagine (Oscar) Carl Olof was named after his two grandfathers. Olle is derived from the name Olof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I've always wondered exactly who Victoria was named for. The Vasa princess wasn't terribly popular. I'd be more willing to bet CG and Silvia just liked the name.
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath announced their engagement on March 12, 1976. March 12 is the Swedish name day for the name Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
I bet they thought it would sound good with the titel - Drottning Victoria (Queen Victoria), as it undoubtedly does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
At the time of her birth, an eventual younger brother was supposed to be the next king. I don't know how much talk there had been on allowing women to succeed the throne at that point.
Parliament appointed former governor Ingvar Lindell to make recommendations regarding female succession in December 1975. Mr. Lindell's proposition to introduce absolute primogeniture was submitted to Parliament in March 1977. Princess Victoria was born in July 1977. A bill to reform the Act of Succession passed its first vote in May 1978.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Just wanted to add that Josephine of Leuchtenberg's father was Vicomte Eugene de Beauharnais, the son empress Josephine had from her first marriage. He had married Anna Amalie of Bavaria, the daughter of king Maximilian I. and was created Duke of Leuchtenberg.
He was adopted by his stepfather, the French emperor, and became an imperial prince of France. But like the other members of the French imperial family, he dropped his imperial title after the emperor was dethroned.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:15 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath announced their engagement on March 12, 1976. March 12 is the Swedish name day for the name Victoria.
Fun fact! And her name day is celebrated to this day (while no other name days are celebrated).

Quote:
Parliament appointed former governor Ingvar Lindell to make recommendations regarding female succession in December 1975. Mr. Lindell's proposition to introduce absolute primogeniture was submitted to Parliament in March 1977. Princess Victoria was born in July 1977. A bill to reform the Act of Succession passed its first vote in May 1978.
Thanks, so it was indeed to be expected that she would be queen even though it took until after her brother's birth for it to materialize.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:16 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
At the time of her birth, an eventual younger brother was supposed to be the next king. I don't know how much talk there had been on allowing women to succeed the throne at that point.

No not really. The steps toward changing the Succession law was taken before Victoria was born, so there was never any doubt about the first born was going to be the heir to the throne.

But since it's a part of the Constitutional laws it takes a long time to implement, there must be two General Elections in between, hence the delay.

But the discussions and decision was made as soon as the new King got married.


Edit: sorry, didn't see the above post.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:49 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Fun fact! And her name day is celebrated to this day (while no other name days are celebrated).


Thanks, so it was indeed to be expected that she would be queen even though it took until after her brother's birth for it to materialize.
I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.
As a silent protest (given that is has been said that he was not in favor of this change - I wonder whether that partly is because he himself would not have been king had the rule been applied among his siblings) and/or to acknowledge that CP was the crown prince at that point in time.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
As a silent protest (given that is has been said that he was not in favor of this change - I wonder whether that partly is because he himself would not have been king had the rule been applied among his siblings) and/or to acknowledge that CP was the crown prince at that point in time.
The King, and to a lesser extent the Queen, was publicly and strongly outspoken in opposition to equal succession rights for females. I can link to or post quotes in a more relevant thread, if you would like.

This is wholly speculative, but I've wondered whether their choice to bestow their firstborn daughter with a name only carried up to then by a queen consort, rather than naming her for one of the past queens (or kings) regnant, especially when followed by their choice to give their secondborn son the conventional kingly name of Carl, was an intentional signal.

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, and then bestow a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.
Considering that he continued to publicly criticize the amendment as late as 23 years after it went into effect, I suppose it was in character for him.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:06 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I wonder why Carl Gustaf had the Crown Prince’s crown on display at his son’s christening when it was expected that the amendment to the Act of Succession would be ratified following the next general election.

That was only because of Royal protocol.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
That was only because of Royal protocol.
I am not sure royal protocol would cover the situation of the baptism of an infant who was technically the crown prince but was already anticipated to lose his position, as I don't think it had occurred previously.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:19 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The King, and to a lesser extent the Queen, was publicly and strongly outspoken in opposition to equal succession rights for females. I can link to or post quotes in a more relevant thread, if you would like.

This is wholly speculative, but I've wondered whether their choice to bestow their firstborn daughter with a name only carried up to then by a queen consort, rather than naming her for one of the past queens (or kings) regnant, especially when followed by their choice to give their secondborn son the conventional kingly name of Carl, was an intentional signal.

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, then bestowing a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.




Considering that he continued to publicly criticize the amendment as late as 23 years after it went into effect, I suppose it was in character for him.

It would be fine if you can find those quotes that say they were against a change, because it's only in later years that this has become some sort of common "knowledge" floating around on royal blogs and forums.

If any of them ever said anything like that, they would have lost their jobs, I can garantie you that. And I for one would most definately have been very upset.

In fact, the biggest Swedish tabloid, the left wing Aftonbladet, recently tried to dig up any of these alleged quotes but came up emptyhanded. To their chagrin I might add. What a juicy tidbit it would have been for republicans.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:22 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The 6ix, Canada
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The King, and to a lesser extent the Queen, was publicly and strongly outspoken in opposition to equal succession rights for females. I can link to or post quotes in a more relevant thread, if you would like.

This is wholly speculative, but I've wondered whether their choice to bestow their firstborn daughter with a name only carried up to then by a queen consort, rather than naming her for one of the past queens (or kings) regnant, especially when followed by their choice to give their secondborn son the conventional kingly name of Carl, was an intentional signal.

I have also wondered about the King's decision to bestow a dukedom which was borne last by a king (Gustaf V) on Carl Philip, and then bestow a dukedom borne last by Gustaf V's younger brother on Victoria.




Considering that he continued to publicly criticize the amendment as late as 23 years after it went into effect, I suppose it was in character for him.
I would be very interested to hear, more relevant thread or not, what CG was planning on doing if he never had a son.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:22 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I am not sure royal protocol would cover the situation of the baptism of an infant who was technically the crown prince but was already anticipated to lose his position, as I don't think it had occurred previously.

It would, just because he was the crown prince at the time. Perfect protocol.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Origin Of Royal Names hillary_nugent Royalty Past, Present, and Future 261 11-24-2018 10:18 PM
Moroccan Royal Names and Titles bjanka66 Royal Family of Morocco 62 07-25-2018 04:50 PM
Royal Family Names yvr girl The Royal Family of Greece 70 08-29-2016 02:25 AM
The Real Names Of The Royal Families Helen88 Royalty Past, Present, and Future 204 04-03-2016 03:50 AM
Forbes - Royal Women With Influence lucys Royal Life and Lifestyle 23 09-11-2009 09:40 AM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american history anastasia once upon a time ancestry armstrong-jones bangladesh baptism british royals chittagong countess of snowdon cover-up danish history dragons dutch history dutch royal family dutch royals family tree games haakon vii hill history house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau imperial household interesting introduction israel jewelry jumma kids movie king willem-alexander list of rulers mailing maxima mbs nepal nepalese royal family nobel prize norway history prince charles prince charles of luxembourg prince constantijn prince daniel princely family of monaco princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess elizabeth pronunciation queen maud queen maxima royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding russian court dress spain speech spencer family startling new evidence thailand tracts unsubscribe videos visit from sweden wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×