Letizia Ortiz, News and Picture Thread Part 1: November 2003 - August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Sean.~@May 2nd, 2004 - 3:49 am
No kidding. There were women online who were planning on going to Madrid to especially "protest" the wedding. Then, IIRC, they were planning a prayer session, hoping for divin intervention or something. :wacko:
I heard about this ... :wacko:

Maybe these women are behind this story, too!

well... there are lots of people in spain who dislike letizia. specially 'monarc-ics' and the inconditionals of queen sofia...

I guess those people who do not like Letiza would gain some delight from this story (and that's all I consider it to be, a story). It's too wild to be true. Are there really women who will protest this marriage? Have they lost their minds? :blink: Why in heavens name would somebody do something like that? :doh: I might as well protest Charles dating Camilla (which I don't by the way!) :lol: :lol:

On a competing royal website(not as good as LTR), they were going to get a petition drive to stop the wedding, and I'll put money on that none of the women were Spanish. If you think this is bad, you should read some of the stuff women post here on message boards for NASCAR Nextel Cup race car drivers. Holy Cow, you wouldn't believe it.

Originally posted by mgrant@May 5th, 2004 - 4:57 pm
Are there really women who will protest this marriage? Have they lost their minds? :blink: Why in heavens name would somebody do something like that? :doh: I might as well protest Charles dating Camilla (which I don't by the way!) :lol: :lol:
It was actually several things that this group of women intended to do. Initially they were planning on going to Madrid the weekend of the wedding and protest it. The idea was floated on many royal MBs and the idea was ridiculed and mocked, and generally trivialized, although these women took it quite seriously. Then one of the women part of this protest campaign retracted on all the MBs saying that it was just a joke, and that they weren't serious and didn't really intend to go to Spain at all. :unsure: Then the idea of a group prayer session was organized by these women, though less publicized than the first idea. The idea was that they would decide on a good date and time for all of them (accounting for different time zones) and everybody would pray that Felipe wouldn't marry Letizia! :shock:

I know that some people really dislike the idea of Letizia as the future Queen of Spain, or that some really like Felipe and hoped that he might be their husband one day ;) but the idea of a protest or a prayer session was absurd. We're talking about a grown man choosing someone of his own will to spend the rest of his life with; I would think that 'the man upstairs' might have better things to deal with than to stop a wedding between two consenting adults. :innocent: But that's just me, call me crazy!

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 5th, 2004 - 7:51 pm
I would think that 'the man upstairs' might have better things to deal with than to stop a wedding between two consenting adults.  :innocent:

I agree. But it was fun to read of the various plans though.

IBL

04/28/2004. Letizia Ortis leaving Manuel Pertegaz’ studio after having tried on her wedding dress for the very last time before her wedding day.

Isn´t that a long time? It seems to me that I would try on something that I am going to wear on the most important day in my life closer than nearly a month before the event.
Well, if it fits, there is no reason to try it on again.

Thank You D,

Those are beatuiful photos of Letizia.... Thanks for posting them and starting off this post :)

You´re welcome.

In theory, she should have a fitting a bit closer to the wedding day. But maybe she's confident her body won't change in that time?

Originally posted by Fireweaver@May 8th, 2004 - 1:24 am
In theory, she should have a fitting a bit closer to the wedding day. But maybe she's confident her body won't change in that time?
Yes, that´s what I figured. If it fits, why need another one? But I was not sure. Never had to get marry or be fitted for a wedding dress. :p

well, maybe it's not that it fits or not... maybe it if it suits her or something like that. she is very perfectionist and maybe she wants the gown that the gown suits her as 'perfect' as she is... :)

by the way, great photos! i loved that jacket! :heart:

can i ask where did you take that pics from? :) thanks in advance.

Originally posted by carlota@May 8th, 2004 - 3:50 am
can i ask where did you take that pics from? :) thanks in advance.
IBL

Originally posted by Fireweaver@May 8th, 2004 - 1:24 am
In all likelihood, there will be a seamstress on hand the day of the wedding to do minor sewing needs or alternations to the gown. The wedding is only 2 weeks away, even if Letizia does lose more weight, supposing that she does so in a healthy way, it wouldn't be more than 3 pounds and depending on where she loses the weight there are little sewing tricks or dressing tricks (i.e. padding!) that can be used if parts of the dress are too loose on Letizia.

The wedding shop where I bought my bridesmaid dress says my last fitting should be about a month before the wedding, which will give them enough time to pinch in things here and there one last time and get it back to me a week or so before the wedding. So I think Letizia is probably on track with her fittings.

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 8th, 2004 - 2:23 pm

The wedding shop where I bought my bridesmaid dress says my last fitting should be about a month before the wedding, which will give them enough time to pinch in things here and there one last time and get it back to me a week or so before the wedding. So I think Letizia is probably on track with her fittings.
The photos were taken on the 28th of April so it was little less than a month so your wedding shop has some wise people in it. :p

The Spanish Royal Family officially inaugurated the first Universal Forum of Cultures., in Barcelona, Spain, 20040508,

IBL

LA PROMETIDA DEL PRÍNCIPE APROVECHA UN ENCUENTRO PARA 'REPROCHARLE' ALGUNA DE SUS PALABRAS

Letizia riñe a Jaime Peñafiel
10/5/2004
ELMUNDO.ES
Medio en broma medio en serio, Letizia Ortiz ha aprovechado para echarle la bronca a Jaime Peñafiel, cronista real y 'azote' de la futura princesa de Asturias. "Mírame a los ojos", le ha dicho ella, "¿tú crees que estoy triste?"

La historia ha tenido lugar en el Ayuntamiento de Madrid, después de que Nacho Cano estrenara la melodía que ha compuesto para regalar a los novios. "Ha intentado quejarse -cuenta Peñafiel- aunque yo no se lo he permitido". Según el periodista, Letizia Ortiz "no ha interpretado bien" un artículo suyo en el que, de acuerdo con su versión, le recordaba a la prometida de Don Felipe que la Reina Victoria Eugenia se encerraba en una habitación con sus recuerdos cuando quería llorar y que nunca lo hacía en público.

"Yo no digo que estés triste", le ha respondido Peñafiel ante el Príncipe -que no ha intervenido en la conversación- y el alcalde de Madrid, Alberto Ruiz Gallardón, que también se ha mantenido al margen. Según el colaborador de EL MUNDO, la joven ha malinterpretado sus palabras, puesto que no trataba de transmitir su tristeza sino de darle un consejo para el día que lo necesite.

Para 'calmar' a Letizia, Peñafiel le ha dedicado un verso: "Ojos claros, dulces y serenos, ya que miráis, no me miréis airados". "No estoy airada", ha respondido ella, aunque le ha pedido que llame a la Casa Real para contrastar cuando quiera publicar algo. "¿Cómo voy a llamar a la Casa para lo de los tacones?", se pregunta el 'abroncado'.

Entre los asuntos que el periodista ha tratado en su página del suplemento Crónica, de EL MUNDO, y a Letizia no le han gustado, destacan la referencia que hizo de un artículo publicado acerca de la necesidad de la novia de llevar altísimos tacones para 'compensar' los casi 30 centímetros de diferencia entre el Príncipe y ella. Letizia le ha enseñado al periodista los que llevaba puestos para demostrar que no es para tanto.

El periodista, que cree que "un poco fuera de lugar sí" que ha estado el asunto, lo ha encajado bien, aunque reconoce que no le gusta que le llamen la atención sobre lo que escribe.

Recuerda que en una ocasión le ocurrió algo parecido. Fue hace un par de años, en un encuentro con motivo de la entrega de los Príncipe de Asturias. De acuerdo con Peñafiel, la Reina interpretó que el periodista la relacionaba por algunos detalles con el líder iraní Jatamí. "Yo no soy fundamentalista", le vino a decir más o menos doña Sofía.

La conversación de hoy se ha desarrollado, como la de entonces, en tono distendido. Según Peñafiel, Letizia no hablaba enfadada y él le ha las sonrisas que le ha dedicado. "Tu ganas mucho en las distancias cortas", le ha dicho el periodista, antes de que ella le cogiera cariñosamente de las manos para despedirle. "Sería bueno que nos viéramos", le ha dicho la joven para terminar. "Te deseo mucha suerte", ha respondido él.

http://www.elmundo.es/especiales/2004/04/e...a_penafiel.html

Royal Wedding Sparks Boom in Baby Letizias

MADRID (Reuters) - The number of Spanish baby girls with the same name as former TV news presenter Letizia Ortiz has quadrupled since her engagement to Crown Prince Felipe was announced in November, a supermarket study showed Monday.

Photographs of the dashing heir to the throne and his glamorous fiance dominate the media and shop windows all over Madrid as royal wedding fever grips the nation ahead of Saturday's nuptials.

"In the last (five) months the use of the name had soared," Caprabo's head of marketing Xavier Alomar said, adding that between December and April the number of Letizias and Leticias rose 300 percent compared with the previous five months.

link

Letizia Ortiz

why we like her?

With grace and beauty, Letizia Ortiz has charmed her way into the hearts of the men throughout her home country of Spain, and now, the rest of the world is beginning to take notice. A commoner-turned-future crown princess of Spain, she has become fodder for European newspapers, thanks to her "diamond in the rough" story. We hope the attention continues, as she becomes part of the Spanish monarchy, since this is one princess whose face we don't ever want to forget

why is she famous?

As an award-winning news anchorwoman and live reporter for Spanish television stations EFE and TVE, Rocasolano was always a popular personality in Spain. Of course, when news broke of her engagement with Crown Prince Felipe, her stock rose to the sky. Now finished with her journalistic duties, Ortiz is busy dismissing rumors that nude paintings with her likeness depicted on them are not her. Instead of delivering the news, she is making headlines as a stunning, pleasant princess (and queen)-to-be, whether she posed nude or not.

overall rating: 79

Despite the scandals and negative press that have invaded certain royal families in the past decade, much ink is still devoted to these elite people. For example, look at the amount of attention paid to Prince William and Prince Harry of England, and Prince Albert of Monaco. To a growing list of young, attractive royals, you can now add Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano. Sure, her name might be a mouthful, but the effort is definitely worth it. Just take a look at this Spanish babe for the reason why.

Her engagement to heir to the throne, Prince Felipe, has become the talk of Spain, from Bilbao to Seville, yet she has managed the stardom like a champ. Part of it has to do with her experience as a journalist, where the public got to know her quite well as an anchorwoman on the country's biggest news stations. When Ortiz weds Prince Felipe, however, she will become even more prominent thanks to her natural ability in the spotlight and attractive figure. All hail the princess indeed.

personality & talent: 78

Though not a fairy-tale princess with a "rags to riches" story to tell, Letizia Ortiz delights crowds just the same, wherever she goes. Even with the security of a glorious life ahead, she continues to be levelheaded and honest, promising to be as active a leader in the environmental and political stage as is her fiancé.

Furthermore, Ortiz is known as a no-nonsense woman and is as down-to-earth as they come, which, as Spanish newspapers have noted, will be a welcome attitude into the monarchy. She is seen as a modern woman who represents the new image of Spain's beautiful women: determined, strong-willed and in control.

Ortiz may become a great crown princess and public figure, but she was first known as a gung-ho journalist. Younger than most of her peers, she went on assignment time and again in her early career, and earned a Best Journalist award from the Spanish Press Association. Also established as an anchorwoman, Ortiz was a popular figure before her engagement to Prince Felipe was announced. Now, the qualities adapted to work in front of the camera suit her well in her new role as a royal.

sexiness: 80

There's no wonder Prince Felipe went from dating an ex-model to getting engaged to Ortiz. Her long brown hair, soft Spanish features and attractive body are second to none. The fact that she tones down her sex appeal now that she's part of the religious Roman Catholic monarchy only means we're more drawn to her. Ortiz may only become royalty following her marriage, but to us, she's already a princess.

accomplishments & fame: 71

After earning a degree in information sciences and a master's in audiovisual journalism from the Universdad Complutense of Madrid, Ortiz went to work in her field of study. She received an editing job with EFE, Spain's news agency, before joining the Bloomberg Financial TV network. This led to work on CNN Plus, which, in turn, helped her achieve her ultimate goal of newscaster and correspondent with Television Espanola (TVE).

Ortiz covered such major items as the 2000 presidential election in the U.S., the events of 9/11, and the war in Iraq, where she broadcast stories directly from the embattled country. For her efforts, she won the "Best Journalist Under 30" prize from the Spanish News Association.

In September 2002, she met Prince Felipe at a dinner party. The two hit it off immediately and began dating secretly. After the relationship became more serious, it was announced to the public in 2003 that the two were not only involved, but engaged as well. Since that time, Ortiz has been welcomed warmly by the royal family and media.

Things have not gone perfectly, however. While visiting Mexico during her university days, Ortiz posed for a Mexican painter named Waldo Saveedra. After her engagement was made public, Saveedra released a painting that depicts the future princess nude. Though it has been reported that the images are of Ortiz's face placed atop another woman's body, the news has made the royals in Spain quite nervous, and tabloids quite happy. Time will tell if this uncomfortable situation does any harm to Ortiz's and Prince Felipe's reputation when the wedding day arrives on May 22, 2004.

natural beauty: 82

Beautiful enough to be immortalized on canvas, Ortiz is an appealing princess. Her warm face, inviting dark eyes and long hair made her a popular anchorwoman, and will do just fine when she becomes a royal as well. It's too bad she denies posing nude in those now-famous Mexican paintings because we could point to some of the image's umm, finer points, as well.

personal style: 77

Dignified and classy, Letizia is a fan of stylish blazers and chic pants. Despite the constrictions that being an in-law to a sophisticated royal family, Ortiz manages to impress with a variety of attractive tops as well. Of course, we'd like to see her in a skirt and low-cut blouse, but we won't hold out hope.

biography

Born to Jesús Ortiz, a journalist and businessman, and Paloma Rocasolano, a nurse and union official, on September 15, 1972, Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano grew up in the middle-class city of Oviedo, in the northern region of Asturias, Spain. She is the eldest of three daughters and was the one to show the most interest in her family's "business"; both her father and grandfather had enjoyed decades of success working in journalism.

letizia gets master's degree

Being a bright student, however, Letizia decided to try out several programs before picking a career. After finishing secondary school in her hometown, she moved to Madrid to study at the Centre Ramiro de Maetzu. Ortiz finally settled on a major soon after, earning a bachelor's in information sciences at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid. An eager pupil, this beauty also received her master's degree in audiovisual journalism.

letizia poses for waldo saveedra

Instead of searching immediately for a job in Spain, Ortiz decided to travel before settling down. She flew to Mexico to pursue doctorate studies and work for a newspaper in Mexico City. It was there that she was photographed and befriended by an artist named Waldo Saveedra.

After serving as the influence for three of Saveedra's paintings (an action that would come back to haunt her) and serving her time as journalist, Ortiz returned to Spain.

letizia marries alonso guerrero

With impressive credentials, she did not have trouble finding a job in her line of work. She began her real journalism career with La Nueva España, an Asturian newspaper. Between this and her efforts at the editing desk of Agencia EFE, Spain's news agency, Ortiz met Alonso Guerrero. After a short relationship, they married, in a civil ceremony, in 1998. The nuptials lasted only one year.

ortiz awarded best reporter under 30

Following the divorce, Ortiz concentrated once again on finding work at Spain's best news services. Her initial efforts were quite successful, as she had stints with both the Bloomberg Financial TV network and CNN Plus, Spain's version of the news channel.

In 2000, Letizia settled down with Televisión Española (TVE). She became a renowned reporter after traveling to New York to bring news of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and visiting Iraq at the onset of President Bush's military campaign. The Spanish Press Association rewarded her with a Best Reporter Under 30 award.

letizia dates prince felipe of asturias

At a dinner party in the fall of 2002, all of Ortiz's plans would change, however. There, she met His Royal Highness Prince Felipe of Asturias, heir to the Spanish throne. Instead of being intimidated by this much-loved, and available, prince, Ortiz engaged him in conversation and soon, sparks flew. For one year, they dated in secret; Ortiz didn't even tell her parents about their involvement.

prince & ortiz announce engagement in 2003

The Prince and Ortiz finally announced their relationship on November 1, 2003, at a much-publicized press conference. To the great surprise of everyone, however, they also announced their engagement.

A commoner had never been in line to rise to queen as Ortiz would be, but the idea was not met with hostility, nor was the fact that she was once divorced.

ortiz's paintings controversy

Though her middle-class upbringing and past relationships were accepted by the Prince's parents, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, they had a hard time swallowing the news that came in early 2004.

Waldo Saveedra announced to the Mexican press that he had painted the future princess nude and was going to reveal the piece of art in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on May 22, 2004, the day of the royal wedding.

letizia's $4.2 million home

Ortiz has been quick to point out that the paintings simply depict her face atop another woman's naked body, but nervousness has run through conservatives in the press and Spanish monarchy.

Still, Ortiz's stance as the archetypal Spanish modern woman has won her many fans and she still stands to become Princess of Asturias on May 22, 2004. Awaiting her is a $4.2 million, 11-bedroom home and a life in the spotlight.

It's pretty much a male point of view on the future crown princess, but I thought it was cute. THEY obviously seem to like her

link

YES LETIZIA IS CERTAINLY BEAUTIFUL CLASSY AND VERY PHOTOGENIC.. LETS GIVE HER HER PROPS.. ITS A DIFFICULT POSITION TO BE IN SHE IS YOUNG AND NERVOUS I AM SURE WITH THE WORLDS EYES UPON HER.. SHE HAS GREAT STYLE AND PUTS SPAIN ON THE MAP IN THE FASHION WORLD.. LETS BE HAPPY FOR HER AND STOP LOOKING FOR HER TO TRIP UP .. SHE WILL DO FINE.. SHE LOOKS GREAT.. AND SHE GOT HER MAN .. APPLAUSE PLEASE.. :)

Askmen.com is an okay site. I don´t know who some of these men are though. They do not reflect my viewpoint a lot of time but it´s good of them for taking notice of a royal. Anyway, that was a pretty good breakdown of Letizia. I will be waiting to see their review of other royals.

Thanks for the article... :flower:

After serving as the influence for three of Saveedra's paintings (an action that would come back to haunt her) and serving her time as journalist, Ortiz returned to Spain.

Three?

Waldo Saveedra announced to the Mexican press that he had painted the future princess nude and was going to reveal the piece of art in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on May 22, 2004, the day of the royal wedding.

Interesting...

nouwrein  Posted: May 18th, 2004 - 11:48 pm

Some of my favourite pics of letizia during the Danish wedding
I like, I like.

Nice hair style too.

When she huged her grandparents at the pre-wedding diner you could how tiny her arms were. It isn't at all flattering for her to be so thin. Especially when her facial features are so strong. :eek:

that's true, solange. she is very thin... and she has lost weight before the wedding (apparently 10 kilograms). i hope that in her honney moon and without the nerves of any event she eats more... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom