The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 02-02-2019, 05:12 PM

Napoleon II, Duke of Reichstadt (1811-1832) - son of Napoleon I

This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia
Old 02-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallia17 View Post
This extremely handsome and very young prince was the only child of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte and his second wife, Empress Marie Louise. He died aged only 21. He was very handsome and very tall.

He is kind of my royal history crush. I love learning about him. I'm planning on reading some books about him soon, and I can't honestly wait!

He was rumored to be a virgin when he died but there are also rumors that he was the father of Maximilian, Emperor of Mexico, instead of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria. It is said that Napoleon, called Franz by friends and relatives, was very close to Archduchess Sophie and that they were intimate and lovers.

Is any of it true? Do you think he did die a virgin? Is there any evidence of possible lovers of his? And are there any primary sources (diaries, letters, etc.) left and in which archive and where (France, Austria)?

Many, many thanks.

Kallia
He fascinates me too ! I read a lot about him and NO there is no proof of either he was a Virgin or Sophie's lover… I Don't think we will ever know…. one thing is very clear, he was very loved by his grandfather.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Try Napoleon II by Jean Tulard.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/napp...=9782213647982
Old 10-16-2022, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Emperor Napoleon I reading with his son Napoleon Francois
http://www.alamy.com/napoleon-readin...352786583.html
Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Empress Marie Louise and her son Napoleon, by François Gérard, 1813.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9rard_004b.jpg

Tomb of Napoleon II at Les Invalides, Paris.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...f_France_2.jpg
Old 11-25-2022, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

What happened to Napoleon II?
Old 11-25-2022, 05:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

He never met personally his paternal half-brother Alexandre Colonna-Sweden, did he?
Old 11-25-2022, 05:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Napoleon II died. that's what happened to him, poor guy.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Napoleon II died. that's what happened to him, poor guy.
Yes, without having lived much at all, really.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, without having lived much at all, really.
well he was barely 21, and had lived most of his life in a sort of house arrest having been taken away from his native France and made to become an Austrian prince. A sad life.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

He did get a heck of a quote in though:

Upon the death of his stepfather, Adam Albert von Neipperg, and the revelation that his mother had borne two illegitimate children to Neipperg prior to their marriage, Franz grew distant from his mother and felt that his Austrian family were holding him back to avoid political controversy. He said to his friend, Anton von Prokesch-Osten, "If Josephine had been my mother, my father would not have been buried at Saint Helena, and I should not be at Vienna. My mother is kind but weak; she was not the wife my father deserved".

There is no denying who his father was, whatsoever.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

1830 Portrait of Napoleon II
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/541525707