Twin sons for Georg Friedrich and Sophie - 20 January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So happy for this happy couple and Donata is grandmother !!! Lovely !

Is it possible we see a trend toward twins among ruling or mediatized families? We have twins in Denmark and Belgium among children in the younger generation, those under ten. And now Prussia. The parents are all in their thirties, perhaps seeking medical help to be sure the royal line continues. One of the Pretenders to the throne of France had twins a year or so ago, again, the parents were in their thirties. We aren't going to know why, but it seems like quite a few twins. Maybe it's partly because the parents are over thirty. Someone in my town told me he had twins at 36 (his wife also 36) because that's the year when nature most favors twinning, perhaps "knowing" that the window of opportunity is growing a little smaller each year. Anyway, they made it!
Congratulations, and whew!
Did I miss some twins?

Last edited:
There are the twin sons of Prince Laurent of Belgium, Nicolas and Aymeric.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last decade or so the following royal twins were born:

- Princess Aisha and Princess Sara bint Al Faisal in 1997 (daughters of Prince Faisal of Jordan)
- Princess Sofia and Prince Umberto of Bulgaria in 1999 (children of the Prince of Vidin)
- Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte of Nassau in 2000 (children of Prince Guillaume and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg)
- Prince Aymeric and Prince Nicolas of Belgium in 2005 (sons of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire)
- Princess Paulina and Prince Moritz of Hesse in 2007 (children of Donatus, Hereditary Prince of Hesse)
- Prince Louis of Bourbon and Prince Alphonse in 2010 (sons of Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou)
- Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark in 2011 (children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary)
- And the latest addition, Prince Carl Friedrich and Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia.

Last edited:
In the last decade or so the following royal twins were born:

- Princess Aisha and Princess Sara bint Al Faisal in 1997 (daughters of Prince Faisal of Jordan)
- Princess Sofia and Prince Umberto of Bulgaria in 1999 (children of the Prince of Vidin)
- Prince Aymeric and Prince Nicolas of Belgium in 2005 (sons of Prince Laurent and Princess Claire)
- Princess Paulina and Prince Moritz of Hesse in 2007 (children of Donatus, Hereditary Prince of Hesse)
- Prince Louis of Bourbon and Prince Alphonse in 2010 (sons of Prince Louis, Duke of Anjou)
- Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark in 2011 (children of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary)
- And the latest addition, Prince Carl Friedrich and Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia.

And also Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte of Nassau (children of Prince Guillaujme and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg).
I the cases of Luxembourg, Belgium, Prussia, Hesse there have been twins before in the Families.

Last edited:
And also Prince Leopold and Princess Charlotte of Nassau (children of Prince Guillaujme and Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg).
I the cases of Luxembourg, Belgium, Prussia, Hesse there have been twins before in the Families.
Thanks! Adeed Leopold and Charlotte to the list.
While obviously not as common as single children, most Monarchies do indeed have quite a few examples of Royal twins throughout their histories.

Last edited:
That's great news. After Prince Georg Friedrich the older one would be our future emperor (if we still had one).
And I really love the name Louis Ferdinand just like his ancestors.

I called the Belgian twins of Prince Laurent the "Dutch" twins...got them mixed up. Thanks, I corrected that mistake.

I am very happy for Duchess Donata who had many difficult years

That's great news. After Prince Georg Friedrich the older one would be our future emperor (if we still had one).
And I really love the name Louis Ferdinand just like his ancestors.

I was quiet sure that if there would be a boy, there would be a Louis Ferdinand after Georg Friedrich father and grandfather. It surprises me only that they have not choosen it for the older boy and Heir.

:previous:
That's what I've been wondering about as well.
Carl Friedrich is a great name but I would have expected the eldest boy to carry the name of Georg Friedrich's own father.

Congratulation to the new parents!:flowers:

My thoughts as well. I habe no idea.

Last edited:
:previous:
That's what I've been wondering about as well.
Carl Friedrich is a great name but I would have expected the eldest boy to carry the name of Georg Friedrich's own father.

I can think of at least 2 reasons:
1. Carl Friedrich simply sounds more German than Louis Ferdinand. The German version of Louis would be Ludwig. And K(C)arl and Friedrich are VERY kingly names.
2. Compensation?, something like: OK your twin brother came out first and is therefore the heir but you will have the name of my beloved father.

I would love to know if they are identical or not and if they were born naturally or by caesarean. Apparently they refused to give any more details. I hope they won't stick to this media policy forever.

My sincere congratulations to the parents on the birth of their twin sons! What a joyous occation!

Such lovely news and Congratulations to Georg and Sophie on their two little blessings. May they bring nothing but joy and love to their Parents.

Welcome to the World Little Ones!!! :)

I would love to know if they are identical or not and if they were born naturally or by caesarean. Apparently they refused to give any more details. I hope they won't stick to this media policy forever.

I don't think will get more Information for the moment. And for the first pics we have probably to wait until the christening. After all they are private people, not like the members of reigning families.

Delightful news: congratulations to this charming couple, good health and many years to them all.

Made me think of a special verse added to the British national anthem in 1859 to celebrate the birth of the future Wilhelm II

Hail the auspicious morn!
To Prussia's throne is born
A royal heir
May he defend its laws
Joined with old England's cause,
Thus win all men's applause!
God save the Queen!

How absolutely wonderful, happy and joyous. I do hope this new generation will become fully integrated into the social fabric of current European 'Royals'. I look forward to seeing pictures of the happy new family.

Made me think of a special verse added to the British national anthem in 1859 to celebrate the birth of the future Wilhelm II

Hail the auspicious morn!
To Prussia's throne is born
A royal heir
May he defend its laws
Joined with old England's cause,
Thus win all men's applause!
God save the Queen!

What a simply lovely post, thank you!!!!:flowers::flowers:

Congratulation! It is a joyful news.

Happy news indeed. Was it known, that the were expecting twins?
Yes, it has been known since the beginning of January (Monarchisten was, if I am not mistaken, the first to tweet about it).
The gender of the babies wasn't known until after they were born.

I am delighted that there are 2 heirs to the Imperial House of Prussia. They had been getting thin on the ground! And non-reigning houses seem to have difficulty modernising - I think only Roumania has brought in gender equality - wisely, because King Michael has no sons, but he has 4 daughters!

Well done to Sophie for having done so promptly what all dynasts are required to do - produce heirs! :)

I was hoping that during the Easter there will be the baptism of boys and eventually their photos will be released but it doesn't seem to happening...

Back
Top Bottom