Titles of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Spanish and former Portuguese monarchies, Infante (masc.) or Infanta (fem.) is the title given to a son or daughter of the reigning monarch who is not the heir-apparent to the throne. Other, more distantly related, members of the Spanish and Portuguese royal families are also granted the title.
The name derives from the same root as "infant," but this means simply "child" in Romance languages, and in this case indicates that the Infante or Infanta is the child of the monarch.

As per Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infante

El título de Infante lo introdujo la reina Leonor de Inglaterra (casada con Fernando II de León, siglo XII), tal y como se usaba en este país. Sus hijos, Sancho y Fernando fueron los primeros hijos de reyes en ostentar dicho título.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infante

Last edited:
Doña Metizia said:
Yes, she was. All the member of the GRF are Princes of Greece and Denmark because they are descendants of King George I of Greece who was born a prince of denmark. You can check on Wikipedia all the Greek royals and you can see that they are princes of Greece and Denmark.

If that were true all royals would be Princes of who know how many countries. Queen Sofia's mother was Princess of Hanover but Sofia was not.

You are wrong.

are you sure that I am wrong, because I am positive that I read it somewhere

another question.. Is Filipe also an Infante of Spain, or is that included in his title of Prince of Asturias, and if he is an Infante, does that mean that Letizia is an Infanta of Spain??

Princess Robijn said:
another question.. Is Filipe also an Infante of Spain, or is that included in his title of Prince of Asturias, and if he is an Infante, does that mean that Letizia is an Infanta of Spain??
I think that Prince Felipe has the title Prince of Asturias since he swore the Constitution in 1985. Before that, he was Infante of Spain like his sisters. I'm not sure about this but i read somewhere and it was something like this! ;)

...JuAnItA... said:
I think that Prince Felipe has the title Prince of Asturias since he swore the Constitution in 1985. Before that, he was Infante of Spain like his sisters. I'm not sure about this but i read somewhere and it was something like this! ;)

The Prince felipe, is Prince of Asturias from the reestablishment of the Monarchy, and the approval of the Constitution. Previously he did not have any title, since the Spanish Monarchy was in the exile, his grandfather Don Juan was the one who had the rights of the throne and his parents were Princes of Spain, a title chosen by Franco, not Princes of Asturias. The Constitution of 1978 granted the Infantas' titles legally.

http://www.fundacionprincipedeasturias.org/ing/fundacion/principado/index5.html

In recent times, the Royal Decree of 21 January 1977 restored the rank of Prince of Asturias; and on 1 November of the same year, Felipe de Borbón, the thirty-fifth Prince of Asturias, made his first visit to Asturias.
Felipe de Borbón received an artistic parchment in which Asturias recognised him as their Prince, a Cross of Victory made of gold and studded with jewels, and a symbolic donation of five hundred pesetas in a leather bag, as a substitute for the traditional thousand gold coins, from the hands of the President of the County Council, Luis Sáenz de Santamaría in Covadonga.

I'm confused, does that mean that Filip is still an Infante?? (outside the title, Prince of Asturias)

Princess Robijn said:
I'm confused, does that mean that Filip is still an Infante?? (outside the title, Prince of Asturias)

He was born an Infante, but when he swore the constitution he became the Prince of Asturias

Princess Robijn said:

http://www.casareal.es/ingles/laCorona/lacorona.html

Article 2

The heir to the Crown shall, as from his or her birth or as from the moment the fact giving rise to such entitlement arises, possess the Dignity of The Prince or The Princess of the Asturias, as well as the remaining titles traditionally attached to the Successor to the Crown and be entitled to the honours pertaining to him or her by virtue thereof. He or she shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. The same Dignity and form of address shall correspond to his or her spouse, with the honours deriving therefrom, pursuant to the laws of the Realm.

Article 3

The King's sons and daughters not possessing the Dignity of Prince or Princess of the Asturias, as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess, shall be Infantes or Infantas of Spain, respectively, and shall be addressed as Your Royal Highness. Their spouses, whilst they continue being so or stay a widower or widow, shall be entitled to the form of address and honours The King, as a gracious decision, may grant them, pursuant to the powers vested upon Him by paragraph f) of Article 62 of the Constitution.

http://www.casareal.es/ingles/sar_principe/index.html

Heir to the Crown since the proclamation of his father as King on 22 November 1975, on 1 November 1977 he received the title of Prince of Asturias together with the titles of Prince of Girona and Prince of Viana, These are held by the firstborn of the Kingdoms of Castile, Aragon and Navarre which came together in the 16th century to form the Spanish monarchy. He also holds the titles of Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

I have a ? for you Lula. In article 3 that you quoted above does this mean that the King's (Juan Carlos) daughters, Elena and Cristina's children have the right to the dignity of Infante or Infanta of Spain? I realize that the King created both of his sons in law dukes but I thought that the children of the dukes and the Infantas take any such titles from the paternal line and not the maternal line? I am confused. That is the way I read Section 3
Thank you for enlightening me.
Linda 85

No, linda. Only the children of the King are Infantes. The Infantas' children held no titles.

The phrase from Article 3 "...as well as the children of the latter Prince or Princess" refers to the Prince (or Princess) of the Asturias.

Question:

Why is she called Infanta? Is that her name or a title? Thanks.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Question:

Why is she called Infanta? Is that her name or a title? Thanks.

It's her title, it is given to all those sovereign (or heir) children that are not going to inherit the throne, the heir is called Prince/ss of Asturias

Thanks

Thanks, but why can't she inherit the throne? And what does "Infanta" means? Are there male versions or it's just for females?

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Thanks, but why can't she inherit the throne? And what does "Infanta" means? Are there male versions or it's just for females?

Infanta means "child" of Spain, it comes with the french origin of the Borbon house (enfant). It's very possible that she won't inherit the throne because she's currently sixth in the succesion line, behind her brother, his daugther, her sister Elena and her children because in Spain the succesion gives precedence to the male descendant (Felipe is the youngest of his siblings).
If there is another male after the heir, he's called an Infante of Spain (the male term for Infanta) just like Felipe did before he was invested as Prince of Asturias.

I hope that you find my information useful, but please remember that this thread is for pictures of Cristina in past times not to ask questions;)

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm sorry I asked the question here. It's just that, if I make a new thread, it'll get edited and get put in as a regular post in another thread, so I figured since this is a thread about her, I would ask.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Thanks, that was helpful. I'm sorry I asked the question here. It's just that, if I make a new thread, it'll get edited and get put in as a regular post in another thread, so I figured since this is a thread about her, I would ask.

Hi CrownPrinceLorenzo,

There's a whole thread about the meaning of Infante/Infanta

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/meaning-infante-3169.html

The name Infante/e has no relation AT ALL with the bourbon blood or France. The sons and daughters of kings are called INFANTES since the 12 century, six centuries before the bourbons came to Spain.
The ethimologie of the word is latin. Enfant (french) and Infante have the same root, but do not come one from the other.
It's really easy: in Spain only ONE person can be called Prince and that's the heir of the throne (the same way in france they call him dauphin). The others sons/daughters of the king as well as the prince sons and daughter are styles infantes. That's all.

HOUSEHOLDS & Coat-of-Arms of the INFANTAS

Though I have looked under every stone, I've never been able to find the coat of arms of the Infantas... Does anyone know if they bear any arms? I presume that when single, they bore their father the King's on a lozenge, but waht about once married?
The Prince of Asturias bears the same as the Kingm, but with a blue label to difference it (and the crown with only 2 arches instead of the royal 8) as can be seen in this websites :
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/es%5Eprinc.html

And my other question is relating the Households (meaning, the people under actual, implied, or honorary employ) of SSAARR Las Infantas. The Bourbons of France had nearly 200 people attached to the persons of their Fils de France (same as Infante d'España) and though I realize that such numerous retinues are neither practical nor necessary today, I wondered if they have a Mayordomo (steward), Camareras (ladies in waiting like English Princesses have still today) etc.

I hope that this be of interest to anyone. Please, feel free to respond with any light you may have on the subjects... including links, photos, etc.

PS: This is my first post! :D

Also, forgot to ask. Does anyone know if the titles the Infantas sport are simply honorific or part of an appanage(or more properly a mayorazgo) or what sort of pension or honnours do they get out of them?
By titles I'm refering to those of "duchess of Parma" "duchess of Lugo" etc.

PS:
"Infanta" I wouldn't consider a title, but a rank: They rank as children of Spain, thus all the extra honnours (such as gun salutes, curtseys, etc. extended to them for being so closely related to the King).

Are Infantas Elenas and Cristina royal titles passed down

Are infantas Elenas and Cristina's royal titles passed down to their children?

No, the future infantes of Spain are the sons of the Princes of Asturias. Elena and Cristina's children are "Exelenticimos", which is like a higher "poscition".

To extend what M 12 wrote...

Unlike other royal families/countries, in Spain titles are not passed out so easily.

Infantes/Infantas (the full title is Infante/Infanta de Espana) are children of the monarch or the heir to the throne only. Spouses do not share the title, although they may be given a "duke" or "count" title (as with the husbands of Elena and Cristina), which does not get passed along to the children.

In Spain there is only one prince or princess--the heir to the throne and spouse.

Spain is not like other countries where there are ten thousand princes and princesses.

lucys said:
To extend what M 12 wrote...

Unlike other royal families/countries, in Spain titles are not passed out so easily.
As titles are not passed down does this mean that there is not a Spanish aristocracy similiar to the UK? Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?

Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?

I am not completely sure but I think King Juan Carlos can give a tittle to anyone he wants in Spain.

pinnacle said:
As titles are not passed down does this mean that there is not a Spanish aristocracy similiar to the UK? Does the Spanish monarch even have the authority to grant titles outside his immediate family?

Yes, he can grant titles but isn't like in the UK, where a lot of people are ladies and lords, in Spain many titles (like those of the Duchess of Alba) pass through generations and were given a long time ago, but the fact that only the children of the heir and the monarch are called infante/infanta helps to keep the monarchy small and allow the other members to have a somewhat normal life.:)

What about the titles that were bestowed on them when they married? Like Infanta Cristina is also the Duches of Palma de Majorca. Is that title personal or will it be passed to her oldest son?

Back
Top Bottom