The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 PM
kathia_sophia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South, Portugal
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It wouldn't be too hard to invite one photographer or even a few photographers to take pictures of the four of them without face cover. They should be able to keep sufficient distance.
Indeed, just like what happened with WA, Maxima and the girls.


But, yes, we've seen them twice in Mallorca now, which isn't bad considering the current situation. Though I disagree with @An Ard Ri that we've seen them more than we normally do. In 2018, we saw Leonor and Sofia 4 times in August. In 2019, we saw them 7 times. This year, it seems only 2 so far, so we're not seeing them more, but far less.
__________________

__________________
♫A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.♥
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 56,653
King Felipe and Queen Letizia visited Menorca today, August 13:



** casareal photos ** casareal photos 2 ** casareal **


** josepgegundez.photoshelter gallery ** rex gallery **


** gettyimages gallery: ESP: Spanish Royals Visit Menorca **


** hola article: Así empieza la visita de los Reyes a Menorca **
__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 08-13-2020, 10:48 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,649
Visit to Menorca







Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 08-13-2020, 11:05 AM
kathia_sophia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South, Portugal
Posts: 2,876
I would love to visit Menorca. It's so underrated. It's quieter than Mallorca, it has great beaches, vivid blue water, and lots of archaeological sites. I wished Felipe and Letizia would promote it more.


Can't wait to see their visit of Formentera.
__________________
♫A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.♥
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 30,036
Here are a few more photos from beautiful Menorca today

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...2020%20Menorca
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:13 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
Nice to see Leonor and Sofia joining in with some of the events. I hope that Sofia's recovering quickly from her fall, it looks like it was a nasty one initially.

Menorca is indeed a beautiful place - I'd recommend a visit. I've been to both Mallorca and Menorca (remember being in Palma a week before the SRF were due to go on their holiday there).
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 PM
ofkingsandqueens's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 4
This is my first post; hello everyone! I hope I'm posting in the current forum, but I came across this article about Letizia's response to a question about Leonor's future and wanted to share:

"On a visit to Son Roca in Mallorca earlier this week, Princess Leonor was asked by another teenager what she would like to do when she is older. The heir to the throne hadn’t answered before her mother intervened to say 'what she has to do, not what she wants to do.'” Here's the article.

I thought this was a surprisingly blunt response. I've always wondered when heirs become cognizant of their future role and responsibility, so this makes me think Felipe and Letizia have already had this serious conversation with Leonor (given their family's current turbulent situation). I'm also curious to know what Leonor's answer would've been; she's seems wise for her age!
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 08-14-2020, 09:39 AM
kathia_sophia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South, Portugal
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Nice to see Leonor and Sofia joining in with some of the events. I hope that Sofia's recovering quickly from her fall, it looks like it was a nasty one initially.

Menorca is indeed a beautiful place - I'd recommend a visit. I've been to both Mallorca and Menorca (remember being in Palma a week before the SRF were due to go on their holiday there).
Which one did you like the most? I've never been to Mallorca and Menorca before, but I have friends that went there and said that Menorca surprised them in a very positive way.
__________________
♫A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.♥
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 08-14-2020, 11:25 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 10,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofkingsandqueens View Post
This is my first post; hello everyone! I hope I'm posting in the current forum, but I came across this article about Letizia's response to a question about Leonor's future and wanted to share:

"On a visit to Son Roca in Mallorca earlier this week, Princess Leonor was asked by another teenager what she would like to do when she is older. The heir to the throne hadn’t answered before her mother intervened to say 'what she has to do, not what she wants to do.'” Here's the article.

I thought this was a surprisingly blunt response. I've always wondered when heirs become cognizant of their future role and responsibility, so this makes me think Felipe and Letizia have already had this serious conversation with Leonor (given their family's current turbulent situation). I'm also curious to know what Leonor's answer would've been; she's seems wise for her age!
I read about this incident. And I do wish that for ONCE Letizia had not sought to control the situation by cutting off Leonor and speaking for her.

I would have liked to hear her response. Poor Leonor.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 08-14-2020, 12:37 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I read about this incident. And I do wish that for ONCE Letizia had not sought to control the situation by cutting off Leonor and speaking for her.

I would have liked to hear her response. Poor Leonor.

well, its the hard truth and Leonor could have said something that could have been subject to interpretation by the media.


difficult times, Germany has just declared Spain (including Balear islands, excluding canary islands) to high risk area, people have to be quarantined when travelling there. especially hard for mallorca with thousands of germans flocking there every year.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 08-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,069
Hmm, that incident doesn't sound well. However, it does confirm Letizia's controlling manners and Leonor will again know that she cannot put a foot wrong (a very different message than for example Willem-Alexander and Máxima are giving their daughters); Leonor could easily have answered that she is looking forward to university studies. Hopefully she has some say in what she can study but I'm afraid it is already fully programmed for her by her parents (and wonder about Sofía - not sure that she gets that much more freedom to choose her own path within some limits).
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 08-14-2020, 02:24 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Hmm, that incident doesn't sound well. However, it does confirm Letizia's controlling manners and Leonor will again no that she cannot put a foot wrong (a very different message than for example Willem-Alexander and Máxima are giving their daughters); Leonor could easily have answered that she is looking forward to university studies. Hopefully she has some say in what she can study but I'm afraid it is already fully programmed for her by her parents (and wonder about Sofía - not sure that she gets that much more freedom to choose her own path within some limits).
I think Letizia just wants what's best for her daughters, and so sometimes she seems controlling.
I believe Leonor will probably have an opinion to say about what he wants to study and then the Royal House and the Government at the time will decide what she should study, but Leonor will always have a say.
Sofia will obviously have more freedom and be able to choose the area she wants to follow, I think.
Leonor, if she follows the same résumé as her father, she's going to study International Relations or Political Science, and I believe that's what she's going to do.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 08-14-2020, 02:30 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think Letizia just wants what's best for her daughters, and so sometimes she seems controlling.
I believe Leonor will probably have an opinion to say about what he wants to study and then the Royal House and the Government at the time will decide what she should study, but Leonor will always have a say.
Sofia will obviously have more freedom and be able to choose the area she wants to follow, I think.
Leonor, if she follows the same résumé as her father, she's going to study International Relations or Political Science, and I believe that's what she's going to do.
And her 'best for her daughters' is 'to be perfect' and do exactly as she is told. I don't think that the best preparation for being a head of state. I'd rather see her explore a little but hopefully she'll have some freedom to do so in a few years time when it'll be a little harder to control her every step of the way.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 08-14-2020, 03:52 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Hmm, that incident doesn't sound well. However, it does confirm Letizia's controlling manners and Leonor will again no that she cannot put a foot wrong (a very different message than for example Willem-Alexander and Máxima are giving their daughters); Leonor could easily have answered that she is looking forward to university studies. Hopefully she has some say in what she can study but I'm afraid it is already fully programmed for her by her parents (and wonder about Sofía - not sure that she gets that much more freedom to choose her own path within some limits).
The Spanish throne is the most precarious one in Europe; the Dutch one is secure, and yet Maxima talked over Amalia recently, anyway.

Letizia may or may not be "controlling", but she of all people knows what the media will do to an off-guard remark by an inexperienced teenager. The family doesn't exactly need to feed the electronic circus anything else for free at the moment. I would say she is protective.

Unless looks deceive, Leonor is not in a hurry to grow up. We'll hear from her one day soon, but her parents (not just her mother) have always kept her and Sofia very sheltered. There's no reason for that to change at a time of crisis.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 5,736
I also think that Letizia is protective of her daughters. But the press likes to make her the villain.
Letizia did well to answer for her daughter. The family does not need more embarrassing moments.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 08-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
The Spanish throne is the most precarious one in Europe; the Dutch one is secure, and yet Maxima talked over Amalia recently, anyway.
I was mostly thinking about Willem-Alexander explicitly stating that his daughters were allowed (and supposed) to make mistakes - and that even though security goes with them everywhere; security is NOT supposed to tell them (as parents). I don't see Letizia approving such an approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I also think that Letizia is protective of her daughters. But the press likes to make her the villain.
Letizia did well to answer for her daughter. The family does not need more embarrassing moments.
However, this response that basically said 'it doesn't matter at all what Leonor likes or not, she just has to comply' - was probably not the best answer either.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:00 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
I do think that Letizia could've let Leonor answer the question - the Duke of Cambridge was given the opportunity to say that he wanted to be an astronaut even though he knew at the time he would be the future king. I understand and appreciate that Letizia is protective of her girls, but Leonor is only a young girl and I highly doubt she would answer with anything that would be even a little bit close to damaging the SRF's reputation.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I was mostly thinking about Willem-Alexander explicitly stating that his daughters were allowed (and supposed) to make mistakes - and that even though security goes with them everywhere; security is NOT supposed to tell them (as parents). I don't see Letizia approving such an approach.


However, this response that basically said 'it doesn't matter at all what Leonor likes or not, she just has to comply' - was probably not the best answer either.
Not to get too far off-topic, but why is it that Alexia was either smoking or hanging out with people who do — but there's no evidence of that because it would have been unseemly? Seems to contradict W-A's stated philosophy.

L&S are spotless children not because their parents tell them they must be, but because their situation won't let them make any mistakes. It's not the Netherlands; it's an unfair pressure cooker. I'm sure Letizia is infinitely aware of this.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Not to get too far off-topic, but why is it that Alexia was either smoking or hanging out with people who do — but there's no evidence of that because it would have been unseemly? Seems to contradict W-A's stated philosophy.
He didn't say he wanted it to be in the media - they guard their daughters freedom to make mistakes among other things by guarding their privacy. It's not that they don't want to be told but are fine with the whole world to know. They want them to be able to do so within their personal/private lives without it being 'news' - they are supposed to be as normal teenagers as they can possibly be in their position.

Quote:
L&S are spotless children not because their parents tell them they must be, but because their situation won't let them make any mistakes. It's not the Netherlands; it's an unfair pressure cooker. I'm sure Letizia is infinitely aware of this.
I'd say is both; it's not 'the situation' that thought them to be perfect; it's their parents that require that of them - apparently because they are afraid that anything else than that would endanger the monarch (which goes to show how fragile they think it is - a monarchy should be able to handle an innocent comment or mistake by a child or teenager).
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 08-14-2020, 05:24 PM
kathia_sophia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South, Portugal
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Not to get too far off-topic, but why is it that Alexia was either smoking or hanging out with people who do — but there's no evidence of that because it would have been unseemly? Seems to contradict W-A's stated philosophy.

L&S are spotless children not because their parents tell them they must be, but because their situation won't let them make any mistakes. It's not the Netherlands; it's an unfair pressure cooker. I'm sure Letizia is infinitely aware of this.
I do agree with you. No one should compare Spain with the Netherlands. The political instability in Spain is something that endangers the Monarchy as well. People are not happy, and many provinces want independence. If the members of the Royal House make one single mistake, it will haunt them forever.


The thing that happened between Leonor, Letizia and Queen Sofia at Easter Mass was something serious even though they never screamed at each other, nor said hurtful words. Just a couple of gestures and it exploded all over the place! I always avoided my grandmother's touch when I was a child because I didn't like it (but I do love my grandmother), nobody pointed a finger at me, but look at what happened with them...


They are public figures, living in unstable Spain, where the media is merciless and the people are unhappy with their government. No wonder that Letizia and Felipe are protective of their girls. Of course, they have their own opinions, but one wrong word and it could be a great disaster.
__________________

__________________
♫A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.♥
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer Holidays with the Swedish Royal Family: 2016-2020 An Ard Ri Royal House of Sweden 343 08-31-2020 10:05 AM
Christmas Holidays with the Spanish Royal Family Mary Anne Royal Family of Spain 87 01-02-2020 03:56 PM
Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2014 - 2016 lula Royal Family of Spain 433 09-09-2016 05:42 PM
Princess Astrid & Family; Summer Holidays in Brindisi, 2008 Paty Princess Astrid, Archduke Lorenz and Family 8 01-26-2010 11:42 AM




Popular Tags
america american history ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism biography britain british british royal family brownbitcoinqueen camilla china chinese commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs daisy doge of venice doll dubai duke of sussex family life family tree fashion and style george vi gustaf vi adolf hello! highgrove house of windsor imperial household italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery king edward vii king willem-alexander książ castle line of succession list of rulers luxembourg mary: crown princess of denmark meghan markle monarchy nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince constantijn prince dimitri princess alexia (2005 -) princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess ribha queen consort queen mathilde queen maxima royal ancestry royal jewels serbian royal family solomon j solomon speech sussex suthida swedish queen taiwan tradition uae customs united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×