Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry for the confusion, the memorial mass for the late Count of Barcelona was the one I was referring to.

Oops, sorry, my mistake! I think you're right. Letizia may have been in a bad mood at the prospect of Cristina's appearance with the royal family later that week.

This tweet illustrates it perfectly:

Twitter "divided"... between the monarchists who hate Letizia and the republicans who hate Letizia. :cool:

And that's exactly how the last days have been around in many parts of Spain, people are talking about either Cifuentes' fake Masters or Letizia, neither thing in a very particularly flattering way :ermm:
That is how the media has learned to inflate anything, turn it into a sports match. As they have with our country when they decided to divide it into red and blue a couple of decades ago. A boon for the media companies and nobody else.

This tweet illustrates it perfectly:

Twitter "divided"... between the monarchists who hate Letizia and the republicans who hate Letizia. :cool:

And that's exactly how the last days have been around in many parts of Spain, people are talking about either Cifuentes' fake Masters or Letizia, neither thing in a very particularly flattering way :ermm:

In other words some of the venom comes from people (republicans) who would hate Letizia even if she had a reputation for saintliness, washed Sofia's feet, and personally delivered food and blankets to homeless shelters. In that case, their vitriol really has nothing to do with the events of April 1.

I am no friend of Letizia's but I am shocked seeing these pictures, why chose Felipe to humiliate her in public, making her open Sofia's car door as if she was a lackey, then Sofia taking Letizia's place next to the King when posing in front of the hospital?? If this is a PR move, it's not only fake but makes things even worse, Felipe has to put BOTH women in place since BOTH created this mess in the cathedral, what does this say about him, yes he drives the car and walks in front and speaks to be press with the women trailing behind, he's a Mama's Boy King, siding with his mother when he should side with nobody but himself and the institution.

Yeah, sure :wacko::whistling:

Nothing to see here! Queen Letizia and mother-in-law Queen Sofia flash big smiles as they make their first public appearance together since they were filmed having a 'tense' exchange

Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia in first appearance together since 'tense' exchange | Daily Mail Online

I feel sorry for JC since his stay in hospital is being used for very bad PR, hopefully he has a good recovery, I worry that he will have difficulties to walk properly again. It's a long road with rehab, especially at this age.

Last edited:
The King,Queen and Queen Mother visit King Juan Carlos at the Hospital Universitario Sanitas La Moraleja.

A photo op to show a reconciliation between Letizia and Sofia after the fiasco in Mallorca ?And Letizia even opens the car door for Sofia to get out !

Last edited:
I am no friend of Letizia's but I am shocked seeing these pictures, why chose Felipe to humiliate her in public, making her open Sofia's car door as if she was a lackey [....]

What about just being nice and open the door for an almost 80 years old lady?

Felipe doesnt do things only halfway, does he.

Now Sofia can even officially grab the girls and gets the picture that was denied to her in church, while Letizia has to stand by and let it happen.

Sorry, maybe I am just cynical but to me this is very badly done PR and I don't like the way Letizia gets a full scale public punishment while Sofia had equal part in the quarrel.

Duke, not just Letizia, today Leonor has also had her lesson in humility. And while Sofia triumphant has achieved her goal... although probably on the way she has lost much of the respect that her granddaughters could have for her.

The Spanish press always points to Letizia, as the great manipulator who controls Felipe, but what happened today shows who is the great manipulator. Frederika would be proud.

Duke, not just Letizia, today Leonor has also had her lesson in humility. And while Sofia triumphant has achieved her goal... although probably on the way she has lost much of the respect that her granddaughters could have for her.

The Spanish press always points to Letizia, as the great manipulator who controls Felipe, but what happened today shows who is the great manipulator. Frederika would be proud.

Come on. Let us face the bare essence: the wife visits her husband. She is driven by her son and daughter-in-law. No more, no less. Nothing to do with PR, Queen Frederika or whatever. Just a 100% normal scene.

Felipe doesnt do things only halfway, does he.

Now Sofia can even officially grab the girls and gets the picture that was denied to her in church, while Letizia has to stand by and let it happen.

Sorry, maybe I am just cynical but to me this is very badly done PR and I don't like the way Letizia gets a full scale public punishment while Sofia had equal part in the quarrel.

Don't know how true, but according to my friend in Spain, Felipe has always been a bit of a "Mamma's Boy" [not that loving parent is wrong] because his father treated him much harder than sisters, especially Cristina and Sofia had to intercede many times when Felipe was young. This is rather common all over the world but it should stop once maturity slams in. Elena seems the most mature, levelheaded and unspoiled of the lot.

My personal take on this entire situation [which seems to be blown all out of whack] is that older daughter had a hormonal moody bug up and acted as all that age girls do periodically and parent tried to intercede. Mothers of daughters can relate. It happens. But I believe the child started the ball rolling and others took advantage then blame to smooth things over. This young girl has realized now that she is extremely important to the country of Spain, over-and-above all others her age. Difficult thing to not get swelled up about at that age. She will be taught what is proper in public. It took many years before Princess Anne took Queen Mother's well known advise before she settled in. JMHO

Yes, it's clear for everyone to see who got out on top.
But the damage is done and there are no winners.

updated article
Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia in first appearance together since 'tense' exchange | Daily Mail Online

Maybe no winners, but at least not making it worse imo

Now if they can show this public image for a couple of months the damage might be averted

Yes, it's clear for everyone to see who got out on top.
But the damage is done and there are no winners.

updated article

Yes, the damage has been done and there maybe a temporary truce but I doubt anyone believes that all is well. Duke, for all we know this may have been Letizia's idea. Had she not made the effort what would the papers be saying? There is no good way for this to play out.

Last edited:
Yes, the damage has been done and there maybe a temporary truce but I doubt anyone believes that all is well. Duke, for all we know this may have been Letizia's idea. Had she not made the effort what would the papers be saying? There is no good way for this to play out.

Indeed. Letizia is the one who benefits from scenes like this, not in that people are going to forget about what happened but in that at least things don’t continue getting worse for her. The real punishment for Letizia would be Sofía not appearing with her in public and letting the public indignation build more and more.

I don’t think the hospital visits would have been Letizia’s idea alone but I also would hope she’d be the first to recognize how bad this has been for her and to a lesser extent Leonor and be the first to want to take steps to control further damage.

As far as Sofia’s motivations - this isn’t about her winning, or getting her picture with her granddaughters, or any nonsense like that. This is her using the considerable influence and public good will she possesses to prevent further damage to the monarchy, regardless of what her personal feelings may be. This is what she’s done all her life.

Indeed. Letizia is the one who benefits from scenes like this, not in that people are going to forget about what happened but in that at least things don’t continue getting worse for her. The real punishment for Letizia would be Sofía not appearing with her in public and letting the public indignation build more and more.

I don’t think the hospital visits would have been Letizia’s idea alone but I also would hope she’d be the first to recognize how bad this has been for her and to a lesser extent Leonor and be the first to want to take steps to control further damage.

As far as Sofia’s motivations - this isn’t about her winning, or getting her picture with her granddaughters, or any nonsense like that. This is her using the considerable influence and public good will she possesses to prevent further damage to the monarchy, regardless of what her personal feelings may be. This is what she’s done all her life.

I disagree, Letizia has been punished enough anyway by what has been written in the papers. For me it's about Sofia getting it totally her way what is not correct. They could have done the whole scene less fake and less humiliating, without a triumphant Sofia standing next to Felipe, holding the hands of her granddaughters, Letizia opening the door for her is too much for me. As long as Sofia is alive, Letizia will officially be a second class Queen, what is very damaging. They have BOTH tarnished the image of the monarchy, Felipe should have known better openly siding with his mother.

Sofia was primarily responsible for what happened, for wanting to do things her way. When she wants to improve Cristina's image, she has no problem contacting the friendly media to do so. If she had spoken with a friendly journalist and in the first person had downplayed what happened and would have recognized that she did not do well either ... this would have stopped.

But this forced performance is useless, Queen Letizia and Princess Leonor do not benefit because everything is forced and people know it... and because all the headlines say "they ask for forgiveness". But the lie created against them that they were the only ones to blame for the incident, remains intact.

They are doing something to address the horrible situation. And that means they have listened to the criticism.
Good!

It may also be an indication that King Felipe (about time) has put his foot down and told his two Queens in no uncertain terms to behave while in public. - As they should under any circumstances!

You can say it's over the top and that it fools no one or that it humiliates one or the other, perhaps it is, I don't care. To me it's the intention that matters.
And the SRF have today at least shown that they intend to correct the PR-blunder and that I find positive.

Finally, I do not buy the argument that Leonor should in any way have been responsible!
Leonor had no problems with her grandmother before the incident, she had no problems afterwards and she seemingly have no problems today.
It was only when her mother and grandmother pressed their noses together right in front of her that she objected.

I'm sure Leonor will throw the odd tantrum from time to time and slam the odd door. (Or she will in the future...) But she didn't at the cathedral.

I disagree, Letizia has been punished enough anyway by what has been written in the papers. For me it's about Sofia getting it totally her way what is not correct. They could have done the whole scene less fake and less humiliating, without a triumphant Sofia standing next to Felipe, holding the hands of her granddaughters, Letizia opening the door for her is too much for me. As long as Sofia is alive, Letizia will officially be a second class Queen, what is very damaging. They have BOTH tarnished the image of the monarchy, Felipe should have known better openly siding with his mother.

Triumphant Sofía? Gosh, you read a lot in this. Just a car arriving with Doña Sofía visiting her husband, in the presence of her son and his spouse. I have seen a normal scene without any triumphalism. Come on.

Sofia was primarily responsible for what happened, for wanting to do things her way. When she wants to improve Cristina's image, she has no problem contacting the friendly media to do so. If she had spoken with a friendly journalist and in the first person had downplayed what happened and would have recognized that she did not do well either ... this would have stopped.

But this forced performance is useless, Queen Letizia and Princess Leonor do not benefit because everything is forced and people know it... and because all the headlines say "they ask for forgiveness". But the lie created against them that they were the only ones to blame for the incident, remains intact.

Staged or not, I am glad they did it. Letizia opening the door for Queen Sofia and Leonor holding her hands are the best way to say they are sorry and show respect for the elders. I expect the controversy to fade after that.

This thread has been cleaned up and is now re-opened.

A few posts containing personal attacks on other posters have been removed. Replies to such posts have been removed as well.

If you have any questions you can contact the Spanish moderators.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is true but there are reports that JC did not want Letizia in his room at the hospital. The media still seems to be in overdrive.
https://translate.google.com/transl...izia-en-su-visita-al-hospital.html&edit-text=
Monumental cabreo de don Juan Carlos: vetó a Letizia en su visita al hospital - Informalia.es

Sofia posing with the Marichalar grandkids as well, they came to visit abuelo in hospital
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20180408122571/infanta-elena-felipe-victoria-hospital/

I don't know if this is true but there are reports that JC did not want Letizia in his room at the hospital. The media still seems to be in overdrive.
https://translate.google.com/transl...izia-en-su-visita-al-hospital.html&edit-text=
Monumental cabreo de don Juan Carlos: vetó a Letizia en su visita al hospital - Informalia.es

Sofia posing with the Marichalar grandkids as well, they came to visit abuelo in hospital
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_espanola/20180408122571/infanta-elena-felipe-victoria-hospital/

I really wonder why all these leaks are coming out, Zarzuela is notoriously known for censoring all the bad press/situations around the Royal House (see the tantrum they thrown when the Palma Mass Incident images were out) and suddenly we know a lot of stuff about their personal relationships :ermm:

And they all point out at the same person... :whistling:

(I don't think this is Letizia's doing tbh, more like some people in the family fed up with her for X or Y reason, not one but several since it is getting pretty obvious).

Oh my god, the whole situation is really ridiculous.
I still cannot comment the Video, despite looking at it several times... it is still confusing and intriguing for me - leaving a bad feeling behind.
However:
I thought they really made it with the "Follow Up PR at the hospial" - great Comment btw. from Mbruno - "they said sorry and showed respect for the elders".

....and now the JC "incident".

Although only rumor and nothing has been confirmed,it really could have happened like this, that JC gave his veto. To me he always disliked Letizia and I also think, that he made her live really bad during her time as Crown Princess. This could have been another pinprick of revenge from his side.... Poor Letizia - from a man, who still cannot behave.

And: censoring bad press only helped in the past. I had the impression, since the horrible elephant shooting the common agreement with the press censoring bad news on the King has been abrogated :sad: This is also an "achievement" from the old King.

Bye Bine

Juan Carlos has been seen rude to Queen Sofia in public, there have been several incidents, well documented in the press.

And we don't know what happened when JC was in hospital after the Corina scandal/elephant shooting, Sofia went to visit him but maybe she just entered the hospital, had a coffee and left, without even seeing him but the photos say 'Queen visits King'. There were reports back then that Corina was at the hospital at the same time.

It's all about PR, who knows what happens behind closed doors, appearances can be deciving :whistling:

Letizia, the queen that we do not deserve

Letizia, la reina que no nos merecemos | EL MUNDO

https://translate.google.es/transla...-que-no-nos-merecemos.html&edit-text=&act=url

This probably represents the opinion of the young women that the 8M mobilized the country ... they do not like the role that Sofia represents as a woman, and they see that Letizia is criticized terribly, when for example Juan Carlos had much worse behavior over the years. It is the generation that believes that Letizia can represent them, and not just be a decorative vase.

I defend Letizia

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/es/cultura/ocio/a19714632/enfrentamiento-letizia-sofia-defensa/

https://translate.google.es/transla...nto-letizia-sofia-defensa/&edit-text=&act=url

Last edited:
Letizia, the queen that we do not deserve

Letizia, la reina que no nos merecemos | EL MUNDO

https://translate.google.es/transla...-que-no-nos-merecemos.html&edit-text=&act=url

This probably represents the opinion of the young women that the 8M mobilized the country ... they do not like the role that Sofia represents as a woman, and they see that Letizia is criticized terribly, when for example Juan Carlos had much worse behavior over the years. It is the generation that believes that Letizia can represent them, and not just be a decorative vase.

I defend Letizia

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/es/cultura/ocio/a19714632/enfrentamiento-letizia-sofia-defensa/

https://translate.google.es/transla...nto-letizia-sofia-defensa/&edit-text=&act=url

A very good one!
BYe Bine

I defend Letizia

That article 'says it all'..

The supine and compliant ways of the emeritus Queen, in no way reflect a 'modern woman', nor serve the requirements of a Monarch's wife in the 21st century...

Last edited:
As a strong independent woman I also defend Queen Letizia. I grew up in the same type of household where women were looked down on, fought it my entire life and now can be what I want. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom