The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
in this case Leonor is being attacked very cruelly
HOW [in God's name] could anyone attack a child over this ? At worst she she shook off an unwanted embrace by an adult, and who amongst us hasn't done the same [when a child] ?
Only the adults ,one or both [depending on ones viewpoint] here, are at fault. The Infanta is utterly blameless.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Even the more serious Spanish newspapers are printing stories

elpais
The deteriorated relationship between Queens Letizia and Sofía.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/04...82_434515.html

Translation
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

ElMundo

The unpopularity of Letizia

La impopularidad de Letizia | El blog de la Reina Letizia

Letizia will I fear come out worse in it all and will do nothing for her image ,its cruel seeing as Leonor is being ridiculed on social media.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Social media has been absolutely vicious, calling poor Leonor "maleducada." People are horrible.
That is very unfortunate. Also, when I read Marie-Chantal's twitter the first time on various articles I thought she was talking about Leonor! "No grandmother deserves that type of treatment! " Maybe she should have said "mother-on-law"...
Old 04-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Is this picture authentic? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ4mKP5XcAA0oEM.jpg

I'll clearly delete the post if it isn't.
A very offensive looking picture. And that to lady who is daughter of a King, sister to a King, wife to a King, mother of a King, sister-in-law to a Queen and who is Queen herself for 43 years!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Listas...0180401_06.jpg

OMG! So cute! Who is this boy?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

What's the word on the street in Spain? Who is getting the blame?

I assume commentators are out in force as well; what is their take?

I cannot fathom why anyone would have a go at Leonor. Even if she was misbehaving (for once! she's not in the habit of misbehaving AFAIK) a twelve year old child should be forgiven, and especially be forgiven if someone violates her personal space.
It can't be people with children of their own who post that sort of, pardon me, crap.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Thanks, Marengo.

Queen Sofia seemed pretty insistent about not letting go of her granddaughters. She only backed down when King Felipe seeming told her to.
Well, we all know that once the anger is boiling, you can get pretty stubborn! So IMO that's not a conclusive proof of who was at fault here.
We should really interview the older ladies sitting in the last pews... Ok, I'm just joking!!

I feel awful for Leonor and Sofia jr.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
Besides what has happened today , our those two royal ladies know to get on well together ?
Queen Sofía stood by her son and supported him fully in his choice for Letizia Ortiz. So Doña Sofía was Letizia's ally in the palace.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadezhda View Post
He was probably just at the Easter Sunday Mass.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Courtier

Leonor and Sofia Jr are absolute innocents in all of this, people who blame them are heartless tbh, they are children for god's sake, it's not their fault how the adults in their lives choose to behave

Letizia's image was bad before, but with this? Man, she's being slaughtered in social networks and in the media, a PR campaign of massive proportions is going to be needed to save her face, people often say that when someone says "Queen of Spain" they think of Sofía, never of Letizia, so the sides are pretty much taken at this point of the game.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadezhda View Post
A lucky fellow!
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
What's the word on the street in Spain? Who is getting the blame?

I assume commentators are out in force as well; what is their take?

I cannot fathom why anyone would have a go at Leonor. Even if she was misbehaving (for once! she's not in the habit of misbehaving AFAIK) a twelve year old child should be forgiven, and especially be forgiven if someone violates her personal space.
It can't be people with children of their own who post that sort of, pardon me, crap.
Letizia is generally getting the blame. A lot of commenters are saying Leonor was disrespectful to her grandmother, and that her mother must have not taught her well (that tone, of varying permutation of different words).
Old 04-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
A very offensive looking picture. And that to lady who is daughter of a King, sister to a King, wife to a King, mother of a King, sister-in-law to a Queen and who is Queen herself for 43 years!
That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardless of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage).

My conclusion: both should have known better than to behave like this in public, and MC's reaction on social media leads me to think that things like this have happened more often behind closed doors and the family (at least q.Sofia's) is "talking" about it and have chosen their "side" in the conflict

No good can come of this (unless they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Commoner

what a desaster for the spanish royal family! Letizia has an absolutly vulgar behaviour and no control about herself.
The so called "queen" of the Spaniards simulates to save her daughters from media and leads frontally her family in a media desaster - Letizia - what a silly, what an arrogant person.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Even the more serious Spanish newspapers are printing stories

elpais
The deteriorated relationship between Queens Letizia and Sofía.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/04...82_434515.html

Translation
https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

ElMundo

The unpopularity of Letizia

La impopularidad de Letizia | El blog de la Reina Letizia

Letizia will I fear come out worse in it all and will do nothing for her image ,its cruel seeing as Leonor is being ridiculed on social media.
The unpopularity of Letizia is exactly because she is "one of us". It is the feeling: "Girl, you do not neef to stick that manicured nose in the air. You are no royal. You PLAY a royal."

We see the same sentiment regarding Catherine, you can read between the lines that she is just a Doolittle.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If the Spanish Royal Family are devout Catholics, as I assume they are, it is expected that they would go to Mass on Easter, the most important date of the Christian calendar. Masses are public events that take place in public places, so it is understandable that there will be people cheering when they leave the church and photographers taking pictures.

I think it is a stretch to suggest that the SRF goes to church on Easter Sunday just as a publicity stunt, or to suit the needs of Queen Sofia. In any case, if it was a PR stunt, it backfired completely thanks to Letizia’s unreasonable reaction to an innocent and harmless picture.
It is well known that Letizia is far from a devout Catholic. Had she been, she would have had a church marriage the first time for instance.

Queen Sofia is a devout christian (catholic or orthodox; formally the first but she might still feel connected to her orthodox roots) indeed but the other family members show up for Easter and probably not much else.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Courtier

A few PR firms are certainly working overtime around the world right now...
Old 04-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardless of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage).

My conclusion: both should have known better than to behave like this in public, and MC's reaction on social media leads me to think that things like this have happened more often behind closed doors and the family (at least q.Sofia's) is "talking" about it and have chosen their "side" in the conflict

No good can come of this (unless they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)
No any grandmother deserves is. And certainly not Queen Sofía.
Even a popular person like Máxima would face a backlash when she acted like this against grandma Beatrix who touchef Ariane. The public would instinctively back the old Queen. Exactly like in Spain.

It is Letizia who loosed her cool and she has chosen the most wrong possible target for it.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardlesz of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage.

No good can come of this (unlesx they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)
Ugh, that would be terrible. If true, no wonder Letizia is tense. Imagine having that kind of relationship with extended family, your MIL talking about you behind your back, being blamed for how your husband treated your errant SIL, etc. The isolation must be intense, and her daughters and husband her only allies. I hope that regardless of what Sofia shares with her side of the family, that she calls out Marie Chantal for her public comments.

After all this, ironically, it is Letizia's commoner, immediate family that comes out classiest.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
A few PR firms are certainly working overtime around the world right now...
Not at all. Royal Houses are no box of cereals or a brand of electronics. All this will wave aside and calm down again.

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar