Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe neither of the King's sisters attended the family gathering on Christmas Eve at Zarzuela again this year.Given with whats going on I can understand their absence this year.The Infanta Pilar also didn't attend last year & stayed with her children & grandchildren at her own Madrid residence.

The last time I saw a photo of the King with either of his sisters was at Don Miguels First Holy Communion last summer & that was a group family photo!

I recall an article where Infanta said that she hadnt spoken to her brother for a long time, he was too busy.
I think there were rumours that Elena spent Christmas Day with her aunts family, not sure if this is true.

That's pretty much Paloma Barrientos on attack again (too predictable) after the blunders she made for the Easter. She is not a royal insider, I doubt she knows the most intimate details inside Zarzuela. In fact, she couldn't even got the most basic right. How is it possible the King or Zarzuela didn't know where the Princes went on their private holiday ? The Princes usually brought 4 bodyguards, those bodyguards need to report back to their boss in the security department.
On the other hand, Felipe and JC have never been close, mainly because of mom Sofia. It's well known that Felipe didn't like how his mom being treated by his father.

I don't know exactly what you meant by saying that "Felipe didn't like how his mom being treated by his father", but if we have to believe the rumours... Felipe inherited the same Borbón's tendencies as his father and his grandfather... So he wouldn't be the right one to criticize his father (at least, not anymore...)

I don't know exactly what you meant by saying that "Felipe didn't like how his mom being treated by his father", but if we have to believe the rumours... Felipe inherited the same Borbón's tendencies as his father and his grandfather... So he wouldn't be the right one to criticize his father (at least, not anymore...)
Errr...I think that rumour is quite difficult to believe :whistling::D
Some people are quite bored, I´m afraid...

Kleio, that is something that you do not know, that comment has been expressed by many from before the wedding, how if they should wish to be like that, for the simple desire to damage. Certain press or certain forums of Internet create many absurd stories or invent many lies. For 8 years they have invented and spread all kinds of barbarities on the Princess Letizia, that has demonstrated were not true. The press publishes some absurd, but along Internet there circulate some of them that are real madnesses.

Spain is very fond of the "urban legends ", to inventing all kinds of stories on the famous persons. Normally these stories grow and grow and ultimately every person offers a version different from the same ones.

This it is a forum to share information and opinions, but not a forum of gossips, it is necessary to give information that are confirmed with a bit of seriousness.

I think for some people Prince Felipe's legacy is not so difficult to believe... Appearances can be deceptive... And whether it's true or not, obviously we'll never know... But it's normal if most of people prefer to believe in fairy tales!

Yes, why do we keep believing fairytales when we can believe some users in any forums saying that Felipe is cheating on Letizia, without any proof? :D:D:D:D
We´re really naive, all us...:lol::ROFLMAO:

Kleio, that is something that you do not know, that comment has been expressed by many from before the wedding, how if they should wish to be like that, for the simple desire to damage. Certain press or certain forums of Internet create many absurd stories or invent many lies. For 8 years they have invented and spread all kinds of barbarities on the Princess Letizia, that has demonstrated were not true. The press publishes some absurd, but along Internet there circulate some of them that are real madnesses.

Spain is very fond of the "urban legends ", to inventing all kinds of stories on the famous persons. Normally these stories grow and grow and ultimately every person offers a version different from the same ones.

This it is a forum to share information and opinions, but not a forum of gossips, it is necessary to give information that are confirmed with a bit of seriousness.

The least I would like to seem is not respectful and I agree that this forum is to share information and opinions. I really have never read other forums about Royalty because I always thought this was the most serious one but there's something I cannot understand... We ALL talk about things we really do NOT know: But, who of you knows the SRF personally? Or any other royal person? We speculate all the time about them! Unfortunately most of us will never meet them personally so all I can do is give my opinion or expressing what I hear or read in my country... Gossip? Probably, but is it not a gossip to say that the Infantas doesn't like Letizia or many other things? The point, in my opinion, is doing it with respect. Most of the things we talk about are just speculations... Why this fear to some matters?

... and there are people who enjoys damaging and criticizing the others...
Princess Letizia is a good example of this... Spain believes all know her, but she really is a great unknown... we have a totally superficial portrait of gossip press, probably in many things far from reality.

I think everyone should make their own opinion based on what they see, observing and taking their own criteria... and that is not believing in fairy tales. Being in a forum of royalty, and follow the daily activities, gives much information, leading to see many of the inaccuracies and falsehoods that the press writes.

I like to watch, and when you look you see many things because there are gestures that are natural, you can not fake them. I think the look is always sincere, for better and for worse, is the look that always betrays.

Kleio, evidently everything what we treat here is relative, I do not believe that anybody looks for the absolute truth.

But a thing is to speak about topics that press of certain seriousness has published, or to analyze photos, activities... and other one of topics that a magazine or yellow journalist or a madman in Internet has wanted to spread. There has to be a line. If in this forum, the people were writing everything what publishes the european yellow press this would be a hell of senseless gossips.

Here one can think that the Infantas and the princess (and there I also would include the Prince) have a distant relation. And they can think it because, for example, they do not share vacations, or do not make activities together... or because the infanta Cristina was putting bad face in the family photos... if one does not see them united, to conclude that the relation is not nearby is logical. It can be better or worse, or can be circumstantial... we cannot say it.

The opinions must be based on information of certain reliability, on the acts, on the images ... and each one can have a opinion and express it ... but on a base of relative seriousness. But what we cannot do is to spread rumors without any base, or using sources that we know that they have not reliability.

For example, I am expecting to see the magazines of tomorrow to know the truth. Many media have reported that the Queen and the Infanta Elena traveled to Washington. When many said that Elena was in Washington, I read in a newspaper that she was in Spain.

AT THIS STAGE, I have no doubt that the F&L marriage is good & happy, they have two small daughters and are often labelled as "acccomplices" which I find is true judging from pictures. After all it was Felipe who wanted Letizia to share this enormous burden with her, why would he feel to annoy her at such an early stage?

BUT, I believe that, although they were less "in love", the marriage between JC and Sofia was similar at the beginning, both married in order to pursue a "project" (something that Letizia said of her future life with Felipe, too) and to share a professional aim, the claim of the Spanish throne. I believe they were "accomplices" too, Sofia was very important for JC, she was able to charm people, incl. General Franco, and to help the cause a great deal. The time was not for "lovey dovey", but I believe that their marriage was strong and good at this stage, there is a reason why JC later called her "the great professional".

F&L are only together for less than nine years and it is yet to be seen whether the burden of the position will make or break them. Pressure over decades will make people change, and I have no doubt that Felipe will change as King, personally and professionally, like his father did. Whether the ageing consort, not born into royal life, can keep up or is allowed to keep up or wants to keep up remains to be seen. There will be so many worries in their lives to come, about becoming Kings, remaining Kings, Leonor & Sofia becoming teens & adults with media pressure being unleashed on them (what I believe will be Letizia's horror), the parents having to let go and disagreements about their daughter's decisions, fading looks ... will they still be accomplices in decades to come? I wouldnt bet on it.

Sofia is who she is, Queen of Spain, what she enjoys, a born royal with a firm position and reputation within the royal community, and she probably couldnt care less for JCs antics at this stage. I am not sure Letizia would feel as secure as Sofia in the same position.

The real strain on the Kings' marriage started in the early 80ies - JCs philandering and doing his own thing in his Men's World - if I am correct and it only deepened with the children becoming adults, taking their own decisions that one parent might support, the other one doesnt. Today I believe the relation is completely strained, only the professional basis for the greater good has remained, JC has been rude in public towards his wife, and Sofia's biography was probably one of the last straws for JC.

And last but not least in terms of the Kings liking Letizia or not: I dont believe she was welcomed at Zarzuela, they tried to kill the relationship and only gave in when there was no other option. But with marriage and time passing, I am sure they got over it and these days will appreciate her for doing a professional job.

What I never fell for though was the friendly demeanour of the Queen towards Letizia, it is very "Sofia", something I called acting, others might call professional. While I do believe that their relation is friendly/professional, I never believed the "best friends/accomplice" stories for a second. Sofia will smile with anybody, even an unfavoured daughter in law, as long as it serves the purpose of keeping the Spanish throne.

Last edited:
I disagree, I think that queen Sofía genuinely loves all her in-laws, Jaime (from all accounts, she keeps in touch with him and he likes her a lot too), Iñaki(opinion may be on hold due to the latest happenings) and Letizia. She loves her children and when the three married they were all in love with their spouses. She also seems to love and spend much time with her grandchildren, and the closest ones are the Infantas.

Prince Felipe and King Juan Carlos belong to a different generation, actually King Juan Carlos belongs to a different era completely, I believe we saw the ending of the cheating royal men without any consequences with the Prince of Wales' first marriage. I don't doubt there'll be cheating spouses in a royal marriage like in any other marriage, but the possibility of having a mistress without any care in the world, of not worrying about the other half of the marriage, of forsaking the wedding vows...will not be taken for granted any more among royals when this generation of Kings and Queens dies.

lula, I really appreciate your tolerance and respect to my comments. I think it's something remarkable that we all should learn from you (some of us more than others). I understand that we have to try to be rigorous with the information but I never wanted to make an assertion. I was just talking about a rumour that exists. I am not a judge nor a paparazzo, so I have no proofs about anything and I cannot say if the rumours are right or not (as most of you, I would like to think they're wrong) But who knows if magazine's directors or important people of the media have got pictures or other proofs hidden. I think that in Spain most of the media are philomonarchists or at least, very "gentle" towards Casa Real. In my humble opinion, I have doubts if everything, absolutely everything the media know about the SRF is published. I think that probably not everything is published.

A certain sector of the Spanish press (mainly tabloids) hasn't been gentle towards Letizia at all, I'm sure they would like to see her fall flat on her face and get humiliated. Some spread rumors because they were bored, or had an agenda or wanted to distract from other stories/issues, who knows.
I agree with AnaC that Sofia in general has had a good relation with all of her in-laws. As a mom, I think she genuinely wants all her kids and grandkids to be happy. With the Hola cover in DC with Inaki or her biography in 2008, I don't think Sofia is as politically savvy (as JC) as many others wanted to give her credit for.

What I find strange is how rare we see the extended Spanish royal family together,compared to other European Royal Families.For instance the sister of the King of Norway is often seen at State Banquets as is the younger sister of the King of Sweden.Both of these sisters are no longer 'Royal Highnesses' & are also no longer in line to the throne but are still regular guests at the palace.I believe the last time we saw either of JC's sisters at a state Banquet was in the early 00's.

The Kings sisters are photographed more with their sister in law the Queen rather than their brother the King.

This thread has been a bit of an eye-opener for me.

I have always seen the royal family as being close. Events such as the communions and confirmations always seemed to feature the extended family members as part of the group.

I'm going by appearances and body language and, for me, Felipe and Letizia look blissfully in love while I think that Sofia comes across as the most lovable and caring of people.

What I find strange is how rare we see the extended Spanish royal family together,compared to other European Royal Families.For instance the sister of the King of Norway is often seen at State Banquets as is the younger sister of the King of Sweden.Both of these sisters are no longer 'Royal Highnesses' & are also no longer in line to the throne but are still regular guests at the palace.I believe the last time we saw either of JC's sisters at a state Banquet was in the early 00's.

The Kings sisters are photographed more with their sister in law the Queen rather than their brother the King.

But the Queen is seen more often out in public (or at least photographed), I don't remember the last time I saw a picture of the King lunching out, for example.

I believe that you have to check your information. Only the sisters who are of the Royal Families take part in official activities. Those who do not form officially part of the royal family of their country, do not do it. All the sisters of Harald, Carl Gustaf or Beatrix have met of very exceptional form on the occasion of some wedding or special celebration.

Princess Astrid, is a part of the Royal Family, you can see it in the web. But the other sister, Princess Ranghild doesn´t attend events.

kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien

King Carl Gustaf has 4 sister, only Princess Christina attends often official acts. I read that the reason is that during a time, when her mother died and before the wedding of her brother she acted as the first lady of the country and since then she has supported certain public activity.

Queen Beatrix has three sisters, only the princess Margriet is a member of the Royal Household and has official activities.

So the situation of the Infantas Pilar and Margarita is the normal one.

They are not Royal Family, so the normal thing is that they do not attend official acts. When they do it, it is invited or because they collaborate with some organization or foundation with which they collaborate. I believe that they have more activity in Spain that other princesses in their circumstances. Normally they go to social or cultural acts, and it is more normal that with this type of acts they coincide more with the Queen that with the King.

The whole family attenden Miguel's communion last May. They are present at all the familiar acts, because they are Family of the King and not Royal Family.

Last edited:
What about the King and Queen? What is their relationship like?

But the Queen is seen more often out in public (or at least photographed), I don't remember the last time I saw a picture of the King lunching out, for example.

I guess that the King's recent health issues (in the past 12 months) and recovery from same have contributed to his lack of public appearances.

I believe that you have to check your information. Only the sisters who are of the Royal Families take part in official activities. Those who do not form officially part of the royal family of their country, do not do it. All the sisters of Harald, Carl Gustaf or Beatrix have met of very exceptional form on the occasion of some wedding or special celebration.

Princess Astrid, is a part of the Royal Family, you can see it in the web. But the other sister, Princess Ranghild doesn´t attend events.

kongehuset.no - Kongefamilien

King Carl Gustaf has 4 sister, only Princess Christina attends often official acts. I read that the reason is that during a time, when her mother died and before the wedding of her brother she acted as the first lady of the country and since then she has supported certain public activity.

Queen Beatrix has three sisters, only the princess Margriet is a member of the Royal Household and has official activities.

So the situation of the Infantas Pilar and Margarita is the normal one.

They are not Royal Family, so the normal thing is that they do not attend official acts. When they do it, it is invited or because they collaborate with some organization or foundation with which they collaborate. I believe that they have more activity in Spain that other princesses in their circumstances. Normally they go to social or cultural acts, and it is more normal that with this type of acts they coincide more with the Queen that with the King.

The whole family attenden Miguel's communion last May. They are present at all the familiar acts, because they are Family of the King and not Royal Family.

There was nothing wrong with my information it was correct.

Princess Astrid of Norway is a member of the Norwegian Royal Family but not the Royal House,which is restricted to the King,Queen,Crown Prince/Princess & their children.Princess Ragnhild lives in Brazil so thats why she doesn't attend.

Princess Christina of Sweden is no longer listed officialy as a member of the Swedish Royal Family .Princess Margaretha I believe lives a private life in the UK,Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld also attends State Banquets from time to time.

So really it has nothing to do with them being members of the Royal House or the Royal Family,their simply invited because their the siblings of the Monarch.That makes perfect sense.

I would still class The Infantas Pilar & Margarita as members of the extended Spanish Royal Family & not the Royal House.Perhaps a mail to Casa Real might clear this up for me.

That's true,the Queen attended Infantas Pilar's birthday gathering last summer.The King I believe was still in recovery from his operation,in saying that I haven't seen a photo of the king with his sisters in a long time.(non family group)

Recently the House of the king has clarified it, with the topic Urdangarín. Only the descendants of the King are Royal Family. Infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita are not royal family and have no succession rights.

But your opinions and comparisons are not making sense to me.

The king's daughters do not go to gala dinners, why his sisters, with less range, are going to go? In 2006 they were invited to the gala dinner with the President of Portugal, for their special relationship with the country. They may also be invited if the visit is royal.

They are also invited every year to attend National Day.

So they also attend events at certain times, when it is right to do so.

I think that the relationship between JC and his sisters is mainly rational or factual, very much so because of their horrific family history: JC more or less not living within the family from early childhood (schooling abroad, then living with Franco), the accident in which Alfonso was killed and the handling of the issue, and last but not least the lifelong difficult relationship and rivalery with between Don Juan (and very often the rest of the family) and his son Juan Carlos.

Its hard to imagine they are really close in the initmate sense (eg like Sofia and her sister Irene), I assume that its rather the old fashioned way of royal family understanding that they are bound together by blood and thats it.

Besides, its much more common that sisters are close rather than brother and sister, there is usually more distance anyway.

Recently the House of the king has clarified it, with the topic Urdangarín. Only the descendants of the King are Royal Family. Infanta Pilar and infanta Margarita are not royal family and have no succession rights.

But your opinions and comparisons are not making sense to me.

The king's daughters do not go to gala dinners, why his sisters, with less range, are going to go? In 2006 they were invited to the gala dinner with the President of Portugal, for their special relationship with the country. They may also be invited if the visit is royal.

They are also invited every year to attend National Day.

So they also attend events at certain times, when it is right to do so.

It might just that I'm missing something when translating from Spanish to English,but my opinions & comparisons still make perfect sense to me.

I won't dwell on this topic as its a topic on Relationships within the Royal Family & not who's a member.

I think that the relationship between JC and his sisters is mainly rational or factual, very much so because of their horrific family history: JC more or less not living within the family from early childhood (schooling abroad, then living with Franco), the accident in which Alfonso was killed and the handling of the issue, and last but not least the lifelong difficult relationship and rivalery with between Don Juan (and very often the rest of the family) and his son Juan Carlos.

Its hard to imagine they are really close in the initmate sense (eg like Sofia and her sister Irene), I assume that its rather the old fashioned way of royal family understanding that they are bound together by blood and thats it.

Besides, its much more common that sisters are close rather than brother and sister, there is usually more distance anyway.

You know Duke I had thought of that yesterday,the tragic death of Infante Alfonso must still bring up some difficult memories.

What about the King and Queen? What is their relationship like?

Its strained and reduced to the professional representation of the instituiton, see earlier posts.

There is a new book on Sofia, "The loneliness of the Queen"
http://www.vanitatis.com/cache/2012/01/16/55portada-300.jpg
El da que la reina Sofa descubri los escarceos amorosos del Rey

It dates the beginning of the end of the personal relationship to 1976, when the Queen caught the King "in flagranti". I am not sure if this specific occasion is true and I am sure that there is a lot of polemic in the book but in the big picture it is right about the strained relationship that only got worse with the years and the children growing up and bringing new problems along that even deepen the dispute of the parents (Inaki being the latest issue), Sofia not having friends in Spain apart from her close confidante, her sister Irene.

This may not be the correct place for this but where can I find articles regarding Juan Carlos, his growing up and his family? Thanks:flowers:

Another article on the strained marriage of the Kings stated in the book "The solitude of the Queen"
King of Spain 'is serial womaniser who made a pass at Princess Diana' | Mail Online
where its stated that the King is a serial womaniser and that the marriage is "professional" since 35 years.
The King is supposed to have a young girlfriend from Germany for many years, another "open secret" that is now printed for anyone to read.

Were the King and Queen's marriage "arranged"-or in other words,encouraged-or did they choose each other?

Were the King and Queen's marriage "arranged"-or in other words,encouraged-or did they choose each other?

It was something between arranged and encouraged, no way under "normal" circumstances JC, who was in love with other women at the time, would have chosen Sofia (I mean the situation JC was in at the time, depending on Franco and under pressure to chose a wife what would fit in with the situation, the Borbons strategy to get back on the throne).

Back
Top Bottom