Crown Prince Olav of Norway and Princess Märtha of Sweden - 1929

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
On 21 March 1929 Crown Prince Olav of Norway married his 1st cousin, Princess Märtha of Sweden. The couple married in Oslo:

koning-olav-en-martha.jpg
119.jpg

=
copyrights expired.

From Time magazine:

Royal Wedding

Monday, Mar. 25, 1929

Gamle Oslo. Until last week no royal marriage had taken place in Oslo since the 16th Century, when King James VI of Scotland there espoused Princess Anne of Denmark and Norway in 1589. Historic Gamle† Oslo was founded by potent Harold Haardraada about 1050, and petite Princess Martha comes to reign—eventually—over a proud little city which was already old when her own rich and extensive Stockholm was founded upon mud flats and granite in 1255 by Birger, Jarl (Earl) of Bjelbo. Last week, on the very site of the Jarl's first great hall, in a palace blazing with made-in-Sweden light bulbs, the preliminary, pre-nuptial ball was given by Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf of Sweden. Over from Oslo for this event dashed Norway's spruce Crown Prince Olaf. This time he came openly and gaily, not as he clandestinely used to come (while courting Princess Martha) with his hat turned down, his coat turned up, and his eyes masked behind a skier's blue snow-goggles.

Read the entire article here.

The church was decorated with flowers of different shades of white. These included azaleas, lilacs, hydrangeas, and white lilies.

Princess Martha and Prince Olav after their wedding

Prince Albert, Duke of York, served as the groom's best man.

Prince Albert, Duke of York, served as the groom's best man.

I have yet to figure out why Bertie — there was an age gap there and as a child Olav used to play with his three younger brothers. I don't know what cousins Henry and George were doing (in George's case I'm not even sure where he was in terms of addiction/rehab just then), but I can only guess either he and Olav became closer at some point or Bertie's happiness with Elizabeth was viewed as auspicious and ideal.

Is there a Group Picture where I may see our Prince leopold and Princess Astrid ?

Back
Top Bottom