Royal Family of Portugal 2: March 2006-December 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elsa M. said:
Then, on February 1st 1908, when the royal family was returning from the palace of Vila Viçosa (on their way back to the royal palace in Lisbon), and while crossing the Terreiro do Paço (a great square in the downtown of Lisbon, where a crowd was formed to greet the royal family), two republicans shot the carriage. The king died immediately, Prince Luís Filipe was mortally wounded and Infante Manuel was hit in the arm. Days later, Manuel was proclaimed King of Portugal… he would be the last king of the fragile monarchy and his reign would last just 2 years (1908-1910).
Talking about the regicide, and since 99 years have just passed, I though it was interesting to show some photos of the Palace of Vila Viçosa, where King D. Carlos and Prince Luís Filipe passed their last night.

The royal bedrooms are almost untouched and have kept some of the personal objects of the royal couple. In the King’s bedroom, a few porcelains painted by D. Carlos and his grandfather, D. Fernando de Saxe-Coburgo-Gotha (Prince-consort of Queen D.ª Maria II) can be admired.

On the other hand, an album of drawings made by the Queen (entitled Mon Dessins) can be found in D.ª Amélia’s bedroom.

Besides, during the time he lived in the palace, D. Carlos (who was a talented painter) redecorated the rooms with some of his paintings, namely drawings, watercolours, landscapes, portraits of common people or pictures of his beloved boats.

Here are some pictures of Queen D.ª Amélia's bedroom, King D. Carlos' bedroom, the Room of the Dukes and its ceiling, the Room of the Medusa, the kitchen.

Last edited:
Enrique said:
it is in Lisbon??

If you're talking about the palace of Vila Viçosa, the palace isn't in Lisbon, is in Vila Viçosa in Alentejo, near Evora and Elvas and is close to the border with Spain.

Last edited:
DN Online: Festa dos sentidos com provas dadas

D. Duarte de Bragança and Tiago Monteiro (F1 pilot) are the ambassadors for the fourth edition of the Essência do Vinho, which is taking place during the next 3 days, in the Palácio da Bolsa, in Oporto.

This festival welcomes 250 producers and more than 2000 different wines.

tdarlene said:
If you're talking about the palace of Vila Viçosa, the palace isn't in Lisbon, is in Vila Viçosa in Alentejo, near Evora and Elvas and is close to the border with Spain.

It is, thanks!!!

I know that what I'm going to say isn't about the portuguese monarchy, but I was at Royal Weddings Message Board and I found the official photo of he counts of Wessex wedding and I just noticied that on the top left there´s a paint that seems Queen Maria II of Portugal, and at the left wall there's another painting very similar with Queen Estefania, I was wondering if those are real paintings belonging to the British ones.

Royal Weddings Message Board: Re: British wedding request

tdarlene said:
I know that what I'm going to say isn't about the portuguese monarchy, but I was at Royal Weddings Message Board and I found the official photo of he counts of Wessex wedding and I just noticied that on the top left there´s a paint that seems Queen Maria II of Portugal, and at the left wall there's another painting very similar with Queen Estefania, I was wondering if those are real paintings belonging to the British ones.

Royal Weddings Message Board: Re: British wedding request
You have a good eye!...
The portrait on the top left seems indeed the one that was painted for D.ª Maria II around April 1826. I can't figure though why it's hanged there... Maybe because she was received in Windsor, when she passed some time in the court of George IV?...

I don't think however that the other one is D.ª Estefânia. The daughter-in-law of D.ª Maria II had one major portrait (which is hanged on the walls of the Palace of Ajuda) and there she's wearing a golden dress that covers her elbows. We must bear in mind that it was painted by Carl Ferdinand Sohn (*1805 +1867), who also portrayed members of several other royal houses in Europe, so it's understandable that they all looked a bit similar... at least in their poses.
Other than that, I can only remember this other portrait, but it doesn't seem to be that picture either...

Last edited:
Rádio Voz da Planície 104.5 FM ---- Beja

The town of Beja welcomed, last February 26th-28th, the 8th International Congress on Violets, which counted on the sponsorship of D.ª Isabel de Herédia, the Duchess of Bragança.

The main goals of this event were to develop the culture of this flower in Portugal, to present new species, to consider new techniques against plagues and to encourage scientific studies on violets.

Happy 10th Birthday Infanta Maria Francisca!!!

Thank you very much for the photos fanletizia! :flowers:

The kids look so happy! I remember now an enterview that I read last Summer (if I'm not mistaken) where D. Duarte talked about his children and their education and there were some beautiful photos.

Noticias da Manhã

D. Duarte Pio, the Duke of Bragança and founder of the Infante D. Henrique Awards (the Portuguese equivalent of The Duke of Edinburgh Awards) will participate in the VI EMAS-Conference, which is going to assemble in Cascais 150 youngsters coming from England, Malta, Portugal, France, Germany (among others countries).

Simultaneously, these representatives of the "The Duke of Edinburg Award" (whose prize-giving is taking place in Cascais, next year) shall also present their plan of activities of the ceremony.

Last edited:
SAPO Notícias

The Association of the Infante D. Henrique Award, in association with the municipality of Cascais, presented today the 6th Regional EMAS Conference.

The Duke of Bragança, who is the founder of the Infante D. Henrique Award, participated in the ceremony that took place in the Cultural Auditorium of Cascais, and pointed out the importance of such initiative for the cultural and social development of the youth.

This was one of the initiatives that are going to be developed in the scope of The Duke of Edinburgh Award, the international award created 50 years ago, whose ceremony is to take place in Cascais in 2008.

Video:
Prémio Infante D. Henrique - Sapo Vídeos

Photo gallery:
SAPO Fotos - Prémio Infante D. Henrique

ElsaM.,

This is extraordinary for me to see. For someone such as myself living in a small, mostly anglophone community on Canada's East coast, I don't always receive footage like this through our multicultural channels available on satelite. Thank you so much for posting this. I am truly glad there is something like this award available for our younger generations living in Portugal. It is something very worthy and available for them that gives them aspirations towards a more promising future.

MM

DN Online: D. Duarte processado por 'roubo' de 'patente'

D. Duarte charged for stealing patent

D. Duarte de Bragança is to be investigated by the Ministry of Economy and Innovation, for having presided over a ceremony, in a church of Chiado (Lisbon), where he invested some personalities as knights of the Order of São Miguel da Ala.

The charge was addressed by the leader of the PPM (monarchic party), Nuno da Câmara Pereira, who reserves for himself all the rights of that order, supporting that he was the one to register the insignias of the Order of São Miguel da Ala, back in 1981.

According to the cabinet of D. Duarte de Bragança, this case shall be "treated in proper place". On the history of the divergences between D. Duarte and the leader of PPM, D. Duarte’s cabinet remembers that, "on October 6th, 1984, Nuno da Câmara Pereira was invested as knight of the Order, along with his brother Gonçalo" and "by being invested, he recognized D. Duarte as the Grandmaster of the the Order of São Miguel da Ala".

Are there any pictures (and not paintings) of the king Dom Miguel I of Portugal?

Lecen said:
Are there any pictures (and not paintings) of the king Dom Miguel I of Portugal?
Pictures but not paintings?... What do you mean?
He lived during the first half of the 19th century... photographs were pratically non-existent by then...

Elsa M. said:
Pictures but not paintings?... What do you mean?
He lived during the first half of the 19th century... photographs were pratically non-existent by then...

He died in 1866, if I´m not mistaken. There were plenty of photograhps by then.

There are photographs of his nephew, the Emperor of Brazil, Dom Pedro II in 1850, when he was only 25 years old, why not of the old king in exile?

Lecen said:
He died in 1866, if I´m not mistaken. There were plenty of photograhps by then.
Yes, there were already photos (they came up with the Industrial Revolution), but there weren't as many as that...I'm actually surprised you've seen a photo of D. Pedro in 1850...

As far as I know, we only have photos from D. Carlos (*1863 +1908) onward.

a Voz do Minho

Last Wednesday, March 28th, D. Duarte de Bragança went to Barcelos, to preside over a prize-giving ceremony to 23 students of the Didálvi Private School, who had participated in the Infante D. Henrique Awards. The "godfather" of the Awards stressed once again the importance of this cerimony happening in a public space, so that the youngsters can receive the public recognition from their local community.

Thank you Elsa M.
Now I can see that the story is not so recent ...

Yesterday, May 13th, it was the 12th wedding anniversary of D.Duarte Pio and D.ª Isabel. Since it is also the day of Our-Lady of Fátima, the couple went, as usual, to the shrine, for the religious celebrations.

Just curious, but has the Infante D.Henrique's engagement been broken off?

Benjamin said:
Just curious, but has the Infante D.Henrique's engagement been broken off?
There was never an engagement really between D. Henrique and that woman... and I'd say the Duke of Bragança would never allow it... :cool:

Well, on another note, the last issue of Inédita has an interesting article about European royals who lived in Portugal (especially in Estoril), during the 30's and 40's: Grandduchess Carlota of Luxembourg, Edward and Wallis Simpson of England, Archdukes Otto and Joseph of Habsburg, King Carol II of Romenia, Princess Joana of Bulgaria, the Counts of Barcelona, king Humberto II of Italy, among others

V. - A Costa do Exílio

This is an amazing article Elsa M. Thanks again for posting such a great link to a story.
Cheers,
MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom