Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the Ivy Leaf brooch that the Queen is wearing, i have found another photo where you can see it a little clearer:

611ed8cc.jpg

source: http://www.picturedesk.com/

Cartier Clips

Here is a much better pic of HM wearing the Cartier Clips brooch in Malta yesterday.
These aquamarine and diamond clips were given to the Queen in 1944 by her parents as an eighteenth-birthday present, and are a typically 1940s design, combining baguette, oval and round stones.

source: The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II by Leslie Field
Pic: thanks to HMQEII, courtesy Terra

fdc7b508.jpg

Indian Brooch

Is HM wearing a 'new' (or not seen for a while) brooch?
It looks Indian in design. Something from the vaults, or from her mother?
pic courtesy GettyImages; thanks to fanletizia for posting it in the Sandringham Christmas thread.

Indian-design brooch

Last edited:
Dazzling Aquamarines!

This link has a pic at the end of the page (after The Queen's Canalettos :)) of the Boucheron brooch which was a gift to Princess Elizabeth from her father.

Thanks to Meg from the RJotWMB
International Art Treasures Magazine; pic courtesy The Royal Collection

Boucheron Aquamarine & Diamond Clips

UKBoucheronDiamondAquamarineClipBro.jpg

I think it is a pitty The Queen rarely wears a brooch to complete her full parures. She usually wears family orders pinned on the garter sash attached with Queen Victoria's diamond bar brooch. Other brooches are seen when she wears a sash on her right side : usually a bow brooch (Queen Mary's Dorset bow or lover's knot). Queen Mary's complete diamons stomacher was first seen for a Jubilee dinner with other european monarchs (The smallest part of the brooch had been worn once for an official portrait of the Queen in the 50's).
Queen Silvia wears brooches all the time, Margrethe end Beatrix too. Why not Lilibet ?

New broaches

The Queen has been wearing a lot of new broaches in the last year. She had a couple new ones when she visited Canada last year.

And I noticed this one on her trip to Singapore.

www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=233347&d=1142675741

I've never seen it before. She also wore a new one to Australia that looked to be amethyst, but no picture provided a closeup of the broach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brooch

Here is the brooch, provenence of the Queen Mother, worn by the Queen in Singapore.
pic (cropped) courtesy Getty Images

Brooch

BroochfromQMSingaporeMar06GI1.jpg

Its such a particular piece, really interesting!

Thank you for the closeup Warren

"MII"

The Brooch with a rose is a present from Canada and the so called diamonds mentioned above are in fact Rock Crystal. There is no evidence to suggest it has anything to do with the Queen Mother.

Warren said:
Here is the brooch, provenence of the Queen Mother, worn by the Queen in Singapore. (post 124)
Wow! This is very cute, the diamonds look like grapes and the blue sapphire bow is beautiful! Good job QM.

Post 87 is the New Zealand Fern Brooch given to QEII in 1953. It is made of Diamonds.

Post 107. This is not the New Zealand Fern Brooch. It appears to be a gold feather brooch, worn for about the last 3 to 4 years to Braemar Games. I think it is another new one, not yet identified, and no one knows any of its history.

Signed HRH

Diamonds!

Courtesy "The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II" by Leslie Field

The Cullinan V Heart Brooch

BroochCullinanVHeartlarge.jpg

Glitter!

Courtesy Leslie Field "The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II"

A present to Princess Elizabeth from her parents in 1948 to mark the birth of Prince Charles.

Cartier Flower Basket Brooch

512469ca.jpg

Love the The Cullinan V Heart Brooch. Does anyone have a clue about the total carat weight?

kerry said:
Love the The Cullinan V Heart Brooch. Does anyone have a clue about the total carat weight?
The Cullinan V diamond by itself is 18.80 carats.

Warren said:
Cartier Flower Basket Brooch
This looks for me not like brooch. It looks like wonderful art!

both pictures come from ǧÁúÍø, there was a special report on Queen's fashion&jewels last month for her birthday

williamson pink diamond brooch

1223730f.jpg
lover's knot brooch
life20060404sxr006.jpg

wow. the picture is spectacular! thank you very very very much!

I love Mary Adelaid Duchess of Tecks pearl corsage brooch and wish the Queen would wear it more often. She wears it against an icy blue silk suit in the Cecil Beaton portraits she had taken with Andrew and Edward when he was a baby and it looks sooooo beautiful. Sigh:) . Think she'd ever lend it to me?!:D

Further to post no.127, have recently obtained further info re the gold feather brooch, worn these last several years to Braemar Games. It is indeed a jubilee gift to QEII from the Braemar Games committee.

Signed HRH

"Granny's Chips" brooch of QE II

Hi everyone - I'm pretty new here today, but I wonder if I can ask a question? I've been studying the brooches of Q Elizabeth II and some time ago I stumbled across a picture - somewhere on the net - of the Queen wearing her Cullinan II & III brooch -the one she knows as Granny's Chips. Now I don't mean the Karsh of Ottowa portraits - this was an engagement, and in the photo she was not only wearing the brooch on her outfit, but she was studying a display of her cifer "E II R" sll set out in loose diamonds on a table-top.

Of course, I didn't make any notes at the time as I was searching for something else - if only I could remember & repeat the search!!

Does anyone here know when or where that might be? She was not "young" so I'd say it was sometime during the last 20 years at the most. She very rarely wears this brooch on public occasions, so I would dearly love to find the photo again!

I'd really appreciate any help. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links on the Cullinan brooches. I have managed to find a printed picture of the Queen wearing Granny's Chips - it was in the book by Sheila Young about the Queen's jewellery, but is an old b&w picture - so earlier than I thought.

I've been interested to read through this thread as I've been compiling a catalogue of the Queens brooches for several months. I DO have over 100 in my list, plus an additional 18 "insignia" type that she wears when visiting regiments etc. I am trying to find out as much as I can about each one, building the information bit by bit.

Granny's Chips
Cullinan IV (upper) - 63.6 carats
Cullinan III (lower) - 94.4 carats

"Granny's Chips" is QEII's most expensive piece of personal jewelry. The Cullinan I and II are part of the Crown Jewels.

Interesting. I don't recall seeing that brooch before, but perhaps someone else will have some more details. It does look like that Draper's Hall brooch, but it'd be nice to have a really good close-up.

Well, good people, having discovered this thread rather late in the game, I must say it has provided excellent, indeed superb opportunities for drooling, foaming at the mouth, gasping in delight and other basic biological spasms to replace the delight I had before I gave up chocolate. Sigh.

Now could you kind and patient people, eduring and induging my many mental disorders kindly rummage around in your various vaults of goodies and haul out a picture of the Williamson pink diamond brooch with the Queen wearing the thing, and in color. None of the pictures I have seen of it are in the least satisfactory nor do they give any real hint of the actual dimensions of the thing. Further the colour appears to be quite delicate. I do know the pink diamond is supposed to be the largest pink diamond in the world at 23 carats, some hunk of rock indeed and in reality I do not doubt downright gorgeous. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom