Princess Lilian of Sweden Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
on and off we have talked about this necklace

but we never found any information about it
does anyone have a better photo of it?
can it be found on the list what she left for victoria?

According to the news at the press, princess Lilian left to Victoria only the two tiaras (to be exact, one tiara and one diadem). However, it was said at an article that Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine would receive a share of what remained after the named relatives and friends received their due. In total there was about 30 million SEK that Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine shared. Maybe there is some jewellery among this what Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine got, it hasn't been told.

It is hard to find a better photo of that necklace, since Lilian didn't wear it very often.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right that victoria, Carl Philip and madeleine together inherited the items which were listed after the specific items to each family or friend. I was to fast with the replay as iam often.

I think this is a necklace for an older lady. If it is left to Victoria, it may be some time before it is used again.

I really hoped to see some of Lilians jewllery Today
We can hope for it tomorrow

At least CP Victoria wore a tiara that has often been worn by Princess Lilian. But I would have liked to see it combined with the laurel necklace, that would have looked gorgeous, imo.

I think that some of Lilians jewels will be seen at Carl Philip's wedding. Maybe Victoria will choose the laurel tiara again.

Lilians tiara as a laurel necklace with that dress would have been great

Princess Marie of Denmark Jewellery

What did surprise me is that Alexandras Tiara was given to her and not to Joachim. When it has happened in Sweden it has been given to the Princes for their wifes to use (Eugen and the cameo tiara, Sigvard and the ruby tiara, Bertil and the laurel wreath tiara for exemple). So there was no risk of loosing it due to a divorce.

What did surprise me is that Alexandras Tiara was given to her and not to Joachim. When it has happened in Sweden it has been given to the Princes for their wifes to use (Eugen and the cameo tiara, Sigvard and the ruby tiara, Bertil and the laurel wreath tiara for exemple). So there was no risk of loosing it due to a divorce.

Well the Laurel Wreath was clearly given to Lilian as she left it to Victoria in her will.

I think Daisy was quite fond of Alex, and for good reason. And clearly she never thought there would be a divorce so it didn't seem to be a risk. But Daisy saw what happened with the Drop Tiara, which is why the Floral tiara is only on loan to Marie.

I'm not sure that we can compare these cases, because the Swedish princes were all unmarried at the time when the inherited the respective tiaras. Prince Eugen even never married and lent the tiara to various ladies of the family because he had no wife to wear it.

In Alexandra's case the tiara was a wedding present, and isn't there the tradition that wedding present belong to the wife in case of separation? Still, in hindsight, it might better have been a loan.

Well the Laurel Wreath was clearly given to Lilian as she left it to Victoria in her will.
No, Prince Bertil and Prince Sigvard were still teenagers when their mother Princess Margaret died and left them those jewels. When Prince Bertil finally died, he left the laurel tiara to his wife Lilian, who decided to leave it to Victoria after her own death.

No, Prince Bertil and Prince Sigvard were still teenagers when their mother Princess Margaret died and left them those jewels. When Prince Bertil finally died, he left the laurel tiara to his wife Lilian, who decided to leave it to Victoria after her own death.

...so it was clearly given to Lilian.

Just found this photo:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

I think the necklace looks great with this dress.

I also hadn't noticed before this: princess Lilian wore this pendant? in the 40's, there is nothing new for me
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010040011F14204059871834827
But she also wore it with an evening gown with a diamond necklace
In 1997 at president's Jeltsin's state visit
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010060011S14204061961831862
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010040011O14204060681839307
And I think she wore it also in 1999 at an official dinner
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010040021O14204060681839307

Last edited:
Well, she inherited the tiara from her husband, it was not a wedding gift from her mother-in-law, as in Alexandra's case.

that's not the point. The question is not in wedding gifts. The question is in tiaras being given to women marrying in. Alexandra married in and was given her tiara. Marie married in and was not (because of the divorce between Alexandra & joachim). Lilian married in and was given her tiara.

that's not the point. The question is not in wedding gifts. The question is in tiaras being given to women marrying in. Alexandra married in and was given her tiara. Marie married in and was not (because of the divorce between Alexandra & joachim). Lilian married in and was given her tiara.
Sorry, but I still don't agree about Princess Lilian's tiara. I belonged to her husband, she wore the tiara owned by her husband's while being married, but it was still his property. Only upon her husband's death she inherited the tiara and it became Lilian's personal property.

Judging from the photo's Princess Lillian also had a wonderful collection of brooches,I wondered if any of them have since been worn by either of her grand nieces?

Judging from the photo's Princess Lillian also had a wonderful collection of brooches,I wondered if any of them have since been worn by either of her grand nieces?
I haven't seen them wearing any. Apart from Victoria wearing the little round diamond brooch which she already received during Lilian's lifetime. Anyway, Victoria and Madeleine aren't great brooch-wearers :sad:.

Thanks Tilla C, that's a pity but maybe in the future we'll see them worn.

I agree with Tilla C, Princess Lilian wore already Prince Bertil's tiara before her wedding.

Sorry, but I still don't agree about Princess Lilian's tiara. I belonged to her husband, she wore the tiara owned by her husband's while being married, but it was still his property. Only upon her husband's death she inherited the tiara and it became Lilian's personal property.

that's the point! It was her tiara! It might have only become her tiara when Bertil died, but it was still hers.

Just found this photo:

I think the necklace looks great with this dress.

I also hadn't noticed before this: princess Lilian wore this pendant? in the 40's, there is nothing new for me
But she also wore it with an evening gown with a diamond necklace
In 1997 at president's Jeltsin's state visit
And I think she wore it also in 1999 at an official dinner
That pendant/brooch is magnificent and I love how that wonderful older woman wore that gorgeous, almost flamboyant, red gala gown to match. Perhaps Victoria was channeling Lillian with her red gown.

Princess Marie of Denmark Jewellery

Now we are really of topic. This is the fact : The swedish laurel wreath tiara is not a wedding gift at all !!! Prince Bertil inherited the tiara from his mother Crown Princess Margareta. The tiara was his until his Death in 1997 but of course as a male he had no need to use it so he let his wife use it actually long before they became husband and wife. When he died in 1997 he apparently left the tiara to his wife and when she died in 2014 she left it to Crown Princess Victoria. So the tiara has apparently belonged to both Bertil and Lilian. That's the fact. End of discussion and back to topic :)

Last edited:
Perhaps we see the royal ladies wearing Lilian's jewellery on 29th August at the inauguration of the exhibition "The Lilian Look!", an exhibition of about 30 outfits princess Lilian wore at the royal engagements. I hope to see at least the queen and crown princess Victoria at the inauguration.
On 30th August becomes 100 years of the birth of princess Lilian.

I hope that queen Silvia wears the Scarab necklace at the official dinner in February.

Last edited:
I hope Silvia wears the Scarab necklase at her sons wedding this summer. And if it is a tiara event she can pair it with the Edward VII Ruby Tiara. And hoppfully we'll see Victoria in the Laurel Wreath Tiara again.

When princess Lilian died, some decorations and orders were submitted to the Changellery of the Orders (Kungl. Maj:ts Orden) at the Royal Palace. This necklace was among them. It is likely that the princess got it in connection with the Latvian state visit 31 March to 1 April 2005, when she was awarded the Latvian Order of the Three Stars. The Chancellery of the Orders donated the necklace to the Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren).
Stale Session

When princess Lilian died, some decorations and orders were submitted to the Changellery of the Orders (Kungl. Maj:ts Orden) at the Royal Palace. This necklace was among them. It is likely that the princess got it in connection with the Latvian state visit 31 March to 1 April 2005, when she was awarded the Latvian Order of the Three Stars. The Chancellery of the Orders donated the necklace to the Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren).
Stale Session

your link doesn't work.

Lilian received the Order in October 1995. There's a picture of her with it here (third photo): Zum Glück bin ich verrückt — The Tiaras of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden ...

Back
Top Bottom