Princess Christina of Sweden Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
according to Aftonbladet, these things are missing:
Christinas small pearl tiara ( worn at the Nobel Banquet December 10, 2011). Value: 350 000 SEK

A gold ring with an aqua marine stone the size of a thumbnail, surrounded by smaller white stones. Inherited from Princess Sibylla. Which in turn inherited it from his grandmother, Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont. Value: 25 000 SEK

A ring in white gold with a large diamond of unknown carats.Value: 450 000 SEK.*

Two large cufflinks in gold Engraved with the number 40. Belonged formerly Sweden's former King Gustaf VI Adolf. Value: 30 000 SEK .***

A braided rigid bracelet in gold thread and a black wire, possibly hair from an elephant. The bracelet got a medallion / coin with a picture of Emperor Haile Selassie wearing a crown on his head. A gift from the Emperor during a state visit 1956th Value: Unknown.

Last edited:
very sad story,

so we may have seen this tiara for the last time
but what a story if it could be found

the thir sold the rings, watch, cufflinks, for 9000 sek

that no money

Last edited:
Really discusting. You bring someone into your home and they steal. I hope they find her jewels.

That's very sad for Princess Christina. Of course it's worth a lot of money but there's the historical and emotional value which could make them harder to lose. How did they find out who it was? I wonder how the thief managed to sneak them out of the house.

It's a very strange story, particularly the part about the thief choosing to throw the tiara into the river. It almost makes it seem like maybe it was more personal than just wanting material gain- almost like he was angry at the couple.

It's very sad. Some beautiful pieces possibly lost forever.

That's incredible story, I think that is the first time such as thing happens in a royal family, or at least this is the first time, where it's made public.

I think it was easy to catch the stealer, since the jewels were sold, but I don't believe the thief threw the tiara on a river, since it was the most valuable among the stolen jewels. I agree that it's a pity, especially for the historical value.

I agree with HRHHermione, this seems like a personal issue as much as being about money. It also just seems odd that a random person would be allowed to stay in the Palace apartments, even as a guest of the family, without the security team doing a check on them. Has there been any more news on that front?

Poor Princess Christina (and I am not referring to her position or wealth). As previously stated, this is obviously someone she trusted, and that they threw that trust back at her by stealing her possessions.

IMO the betrayed trust is more valuable than the jewels they took.

And throwing the most valuable jewel in the river, that was done 1) because it might have had more of personal attachment to the Princess and they were striking out at her (maybe I am watching too much Criminal Minds or something but that is the first thing that comes to mind) or 2) the tiara would have been too recognizable as something belong to a person with status (i.e royal birth) and thus it was too hot too handle, and they needed to get rid of it.

Nonetheless not a good situation for all involved. If they have an idea who stole the jewels, he might be doing some jail time. So you gotta wonder, was it worth it?

;)I don't know Zonk, the trust thing is hurtful, but for me I'd want my damn jewels back.........:p

2) the tiara would have been too recognizable as something belong to a person with status (i.e royal birth) and thus it was too hot too handle, and they needed to get rid of it.

They could remove stones and sell them separately, that's why I don't believe the tiara was throwen in a river. Hard to believe for me.

Excuse me, but you just don't throw a TIARA in the river!!!:bang: It's a tiara for goodness sake! the only logical explanation is that she must be insane...:ohmy:

They could remove stones and sell them separately, that's why I don't believe the tiara was throwen in a river. Hard to believe for me.

Even if they removed the stones and sold them separately, I am pretty sure that every jeweler and pawn shop in Sweden would have been on the look out for them. The best option (again based on my criminal television history) would to get a fence who could have sold them outside of Sweden.

Perhaps some of you would find it rather helpful to actually read / google translate the 'Aftonbladet' article...?
Apparently no jewelers, pawn shops, criminal tactics or a fence here, but a young man paying for drugs with the stolen jewels and getting only the amount of money what the buyers told him the material value of the gold was.
Here's - again - the link:
Kupp mot Christina | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Its awful,I really hope they retrieve that historic tiara!

It also just seems odd that a random person would be allowed to stay in the Palace apartments, even as a guest of the family, without the security team doing a check on them.
The address of where princess Christina lives is Slottsbacken, not the palace itself, and the houses there are not considered as Palace apartments. If you look at a map of Stockholm you can see a road leading up to the Castle church, the castle is on one side of the road, on the other side of it there are apartment houses, and as far as I know it's in one of those houses princess Christina lives.

boris, do you have a good pic of tiara?

I agree with HRHHermione, this seems like a personal issue as much as being about money. It also just seems odd that a random person would be allowed to stay in the Palace apartments, even as a guest of the family, without the security team doing a check on them. Has there been any more news on that front?

I agree with that too. The entire story seems strange- a 19 year old who was being mentored by her husband and therefore moved in with them?

I agree with that too. The entire story seems strange- a 19 year old who was being mentored by her husband and therefore moved in with them?
Princess Christina have been working for the Red Cross for a long time, and her husband has probably also been involved with the Red Cross. The young man came to Sweden in 2010 as a refugee without parents, and the Swedish Red Cross is often involved in helping these children who comes here alone to become familiar with the Swedish society and to provide some kind of "foster family care"/mentorship for them. I don't see anything "odd" that a family involved with the Red Cross choses to provide help and mentorship to a child/young man without any family in Sweden.

Last edited:
I wonder if the thieves panicked and threw the tiara in the river, if that's true, because they knew that it would be recognizable and couldn't sell it in its current form but didn't have the time or tools to break it apart. Obviously, they couldn't take it from the country if the airport and other modes of egress were on high alert. The theft could have occurred in an opportunistic moment that presented itself and proved too tempting to resist, especially to a couple who might have needed money. This is all just speculation, of course.

Last edited:
I would guess that the thief didn't understand the true value of the tiara, maybe even thought it was a fake, as the tiara was placed in a cloth bag with the name Sennheiser on it. Perhaps he believed that there was a headphone or headset in the bag that he could sell and when he discovered the tiara he didn't think it was of any use for him and he threw it away. He was more interested in continue partying in Stockholm than trying to leave the country.

The difference between dogs and people is that a dog will never bite the hand that feeds it. :nonono:

Here's what strikes me as odd about the story:
This guy spent a lot of time in the Magnusons' home (some of the reports say he lived there?) over the last 2 years. He apparently has a drug habit and has no objections to stealing from people who have helped him. So two questions: how did they not notice he had serious character flaws? It seems odd that someone so young is that good at fooling people! Second, is this really the first time he has stolen from them? I know he did not have access to the jewels until he found the key, but they are very rich people and surely have lots of valuable things in their home that are not locked up.

Your right Maura it is an odd story. My safe has more than just a key and I don't have any tiara's. (darn it all).

I'm still in chock about this sad and weird theft. Let's hope that the jewellery can be recovered. At least the tiara is still lying somewhere in the river, if the thief told the truth.

At least the tiara is still lying somewhere in the river, if the thief told the truth.

I wonder how many people have decided to take up scuba diving or swimming in the river where the tiara is alleged to be?

I wonder how many people have decided to take up scuba diving or swimming in the river where the tiara is alleged to be?

I know I was thinking the same thing,it would be amazing if the tiara was found.

Beskeds her own. Tiara Christina has used the cut steel tiara
As she has not a tiara of her own anymore i think we will see the cut steel tiara for the Nobels

For christina it was the 6button tiara at the Nobel Prize

Back
Top Bottom