The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2020, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Those large pearl earrings on The Dowager Princess are stunning,I wonder were part of the Princely Family jewels?
So far, as I can remember, I have seen them only on Marianne, so I assume it was probably a gift from her husband or from her own family, as Mayr von Melnhof's were also rich...

Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn family was very rich due to their large possessions which they had in Russia, Poland etc. so I somehow assume those large pearls were inherited from Sayn family...

Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Margarita of Baden, Princess of Yugoslavia, niece of Prince Philipp wearing two tiaras, one diamond tiara and one turquoise parure:

https://royalwatcherblog.files.wordp.../06/14-1-1.png

Does anyone know about the provenance of these tiaras?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Sofia of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn wore a diamond floral tiara for her wedding to Archia Akhavan-Kharazian at St. Lorenz Church in Mondsee, Austria on 8 August 2020.

Schloss Sayn - Princess Sofia's Wedding
Old 08-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiara Mania View Post
Princess Sofia of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn wore a diamond floral tiara for her wedding to Archia Akhavan-Kharazian at St. Lorenz Church in Mondsee, Austria on 8 August 2020.

Schloss Sayn - Princess Sofia's Wedding

In any case it is not the same tiara as worn by Alana Bunte at her Wedding last year. Looks like there are three floral buttons.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
In any case it is not the same tiara as worn by Alana Bunte at her Wedding last year. Looks like there are three floral buttons.
It also seems different from the one her late sister wore on her wedding day...

However, the family claims 'The tiara and veil have been worn in the bride's family for generations.' So, I guess she is not the first bride in the family to use this tiara.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Lovely! That tiara is an old acquaintance indeed. It has been worn by Fürstin Manni, e. g. at the pre-wedding of her daughter Theresa. Then Princess Theresa wore it as her wedding tiara, as did Princess Gabriela, nee Countess von Schönburg-Waldenburg. I also think that Princess Elisabeth wore it, while I haven't seen a wedding pic of the eldest daughter Princess Marie Yvonne. I think it was also worn by Princess Elisabeth's daughter Isabelle Baroness von Senden (a first cousin of the current bride) in 2001. So yes, it has a tradition as wedding tiara in the family.

The pearl and diamond tiara that has been worn Princess Priscilla, Countess Philippa Spannocchi and Alana Bunte seems to come from Princess Gabriella's family, since seems that it has been worn by her mother Countess Helene von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, nee Thurn und Taxis.

Therefore my conclusion is: the floral tiara originates from the Sayn family and therefore Manni wore it herself and also loaned it to her female-line granddaughter Isabelle von Senden.
The pearl and diamond tiara is the either a Thurn und Taxis piece or a Schönburg-Waldenburg heirloom and is only worn by Gabriella and her daughters and daughters-in-law. So it would have been the other option for Princess Sofia, but she chose granny's tiara.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Great to see this floral tiara as were having a drought this year with no State Visits!
Old 08-10-2020, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Lovely! That tiara is an old acquaintance indeed. It has been worn by Fürstin Manni, e. g. at the pre-wedding of her daughter Theresa. Then Princess Theresa wore it as her wedding tiara, as did Princess Gabriela, nee Countess von Schönburg-Waldenburg. I also think that Princess Elisabeth wore it, while I haven't seen a wedding pic of the eldest daughter Princess Marie Yvonne. I think it was also worn by Princess Elisabeth's daughter Isabelle Baroness von Senden (a first cousin of the current bride) in 2001. So yes, it has a tradition as wedding tiara in the family.

The pearl and diamond tiara that has been worn Princess Priscilla, Countess Philippa Spannocchi and Alana Bunte seems to come from Princess Gabriella's family, since seems that it has been worn by her mother Countess Helene von Schönborn-Wiesentheid, nee Thurn und Taxis.

Therefore my conclusion is: the floral tiara originates from the Sayn family and therefore Manni wore it herself and also loaned it to her female-line granddaughter Isabelle von Senden.
The pearl and diamond tiara is the either a Thurn und Taxis piece or a Schönburg-Waldenburg heirloom and is only worn by Gabriella and her daughters and daughters-in-law. So it would have been the other option for Princess Sofia, but she chose granny's tiara.

Only strange that Fürstin Gabriella herself did not use the diamond and pearl tiara for her own Wedding but one from her husbands Family
But then the diamond and pearl tiara was also not worn by their daughters for their Wedding's as Princess Alexandra used the Oettingen-Wallerstein tiara for her first Wedding and Princess Felipa a unknown diamond tiara.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe Gabriella wore the Sayn tiara because she married the heir, and Princess Alexandra married the Oettingen heir? But in that respect it is a bit surprising that Princess Priscilla, who married the next heir, didn't wear the Sayn floral tiara, but the Schönborn-Wiesentheid tiara.

I don't now anything about the tiara worn by Princess Philippa, maybe it came from her husband's family?

And then Sunnyi Melles wore another small tiara, which might be the same that Manni wore to the legendary wedding of Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard SWB. But it is not so clearly to see on the few pictures I have seen.

I also think that personal preference always comes into play, and that the bride has a certain choice in case that there are several suitable tiaras. And I'm sure that Princess Sofia could just as well have chosen the pearl and diamond tiara.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe Gabriella wore the Sayn tiara because she married the heir, and Princess Alexandra married the Oettingen heir? But in that respect it is a bit surprising that Princess Priscilla, who married the next heir, didn't wear the Sayn floral tiara, but the Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara.

How do you cme tho think that it is a Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara as they are not related to them. Do you perhaps mix it with Schönborn-Wiesentheid? My guess is that the tiara was made for Fürstin Gabriela's mother Countess Helene of Schönborn-Wiesentehid as it was stated by Prince Casimir and Alana last year that the pearls come from her grandmother Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taixs.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
How do you cme tho think that it is a Schönburg-Waldenburg tiara as they are not related to them. Do you perhaps mix it with Schönborn-Wiesentheid? My guess is that the tiara was made for Fürstin Gabriela's mother Countess Helene of Schönborn-Wiesentehid as it was stated by Prince Casimir and Alana last year that the pearls come from her mother Fürstin Margarethe of Thurn and Taixs.
Quite right, I mixed it up. (My excuse must be that it was getting late, and the heat wave didn't help either.) I'll correct my post above.

It's quite possible that it was made for Countess Helene, because the tiara doesn't look as if the peal had been added as an afterthought. Also, the design looks like it could be from the 20th century. Maybe it was made for her by Helene's parents, but I call it a Schönborn-Wiesentheid tiara because it seems certain that it was in that family during Countess Helene's life.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It also seems different from the one her late sister wore on her wedding day...

However, the family claims 'The tiara and veil have been worn in the bride's family for generations.' So, I guess she is not the first bride in the family to use this tiara.
This comment sent me down a rabbit hole looking for information, what a tragedy so soon after their wedding day.

I don't always like button tiaras, they can seem very strange to me personally but this one is very pretty.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
And then Sunnyi Melles wore another small tiara, which might be the same that Manni wore to the legendary wedding of Princess Benedikte and Prince Richard SWB. But it is not so clearly to see on the few pictures I have seen.
Does anyone have a picture of Sunnyi's wedding to see what tiara she was wearing?

Btw, there is a slight chance that her wedding tiara might have even come from her mother's family. Rohonczy was a noble family which owned several castles, island and a lot of land before the war:

https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohonczy_csal%C3%A1d

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...s_Rohonczy.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...rno_Ostrvo.jpg

Sunnyi's mother Judith von Rohonczy belonged to this family.

Tags
austrian, german, jewellery