Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 2: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well does anyone know the origin of the Sapphire and Pearl choker? I've read two possibilities it came from the Greville bequest or Marie Feodorvna jewelry collection.

Do we assume the sapphire choker went to her sons? The one that was a wedding gift from the Queen Mother. Would love to see that worn by Kate...along with those gorgeous sapphire earrings that seemed to match it.

LaRae

:previous: Technically a brooch. She later added it to pearls.

As it was a gift from the queen mum, and not on loan like many of her other pieces, yes I'd suspect it is with her sons. She wore it post divorce.

I think Kate may wait to wear such massive pieces until POW. She tends to favor smaller pieces. Even the major bling she borrowed, are smaller stones, not as in your face.

Yes and there's that whole Saudi (I think it was Saudi) suite of Sapphires ...lots of jewelry of somewhere in a vault. Bracelets, watches, rings, necklaces, earrings, chokers etc.

Seems like there was another set of stones from Kuwait or Bahrain ..somewhere in the M.E. emeralds?

LaRae

:previous: Yes, the Saudi sapphires.

Chez Chiara: Saudi Royals' Gifts of Jewellery to British Royals

Some jewels she was given are questionable. Ones from the queen are of course loans. And jewels they receive on tour I believe belong to the royal collection, and not the individual who recieved them. Though worn by that individual.

But the sapphires were a wedding gift from the crown prince so I'd think they'd belong to Dianna personally. And now her sons.

Delhi Durbar Emerald parure. That's the set where she wore the choker as a headband also. Not sure if that was a private gift or a previously existing set.

In checking I think that comes from the BRF.

LaRae

Last edited:
Delhi Durbar Emerald parure. That's the set where she wore the choker as a headband also. Not sure if that was a private gift or a previously existing set.

In checking I think that comes from the BRF.

LaRae

The Dehli were made for Queen Mary and she left them to her granddaughter. The queen allowed Diana to keep them after divorce on the understanding she could never sell them, and they would revert back to the crown on death.

Cambridge & Delhi Danbar Parure,Emerald Choker,Tiara and Necklace

Diana also had the sultan of Oman suite, but considering it was given on a royal tour, likely reverted back to royal collection.

http://theroyalpost.com/2012/01/05/princess-dianas-jewels-the-sultan-of-oman-suite/

She had diamonds as well. Camilla has received rubies and emeralds from the Middle East.

Last edited:
WOWZA!!! :wub: I really miss seeing these gorgeous pieces.

I know...I hope one day they will come out of the vaults again!

LaRae

The Dehli were made for Queen Mary and she left them to her granddaughter. The queen allowed Diana to keep them after divorce on the understanding she could never sell them, and they would revert back to the crown on death.

Cambridge & Delhi Danbar Parure,Emerald Choker,Tiara and Necklace

Diana also had the sultan of Oman suite, but considering it was given on a royal tour, likely reverted back to royal collection.

Princess Diana’s Jewels: The Sultan of Oman Suite – My Blog

She had diamonds as well. Camilla has received rubies and emeralds from the Middle East.
The Oman suite was not reverted to the crown. It was her personal property. The rules didn't change until 2005 with royal tours gifts will be reverted to the crown and not one to keep.

She would look great in a number of those jewels....sapphires, pearls, emeralds, diamonds, rubies, and the aquamarines Diana wore.

I do think sapphires compliment Kate very well though.

LaRae

I love the Spencer Tiara...so sorry we won't see the wives of W&H wearing it.

Maybe Charlotte someday...

LaRae

why would charlotte be wearing it?

I said I'd like to see it...'maybe someday'. Charlotte is part of the Spencer family too. Doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

LaRae

I said I'd like to see it...'maybe someday'. Charlotte is part of the Spencer family too. Doesn't mean it's likely to happen.

LaRae

Charlotte may have some Spencer blood, but she is not "main line" Spencer. That tiara will be inherited, if it is not sold, by the children of the Earl Spencer.

Yes I know all this... Can't someone just say they'd loved to see Charlotte in the Tiara without all the negative?

LaRae

She's only a little thing, I don't think of her beign old enough to wear tiaras for a long time. and I don't honestly think the Spencer tiara is that attractive, so if I were Charlotte I'd hold out for one of the royal ones.. they are nicer.

That to me has always been a very beautiful tiara for the design is very feminine. I would hope that Earl Spencer has the forthright to realize that times change and he has put in into a family trust not be ever be sold. We royal watcher know just how many of the family tiaras get sold and are lost forever. One of my favorite's tiaras gone forever was the Poltimore Tiara so hope the family learns from the mistakes of others with tiaras.

I'm in agreement with the idea of keeping the family tiaras in the family. as the times pass, the occasions for tiaras and formal wear have seriously declined so when the occasions do arise, its nice to see tiaras with provenance and a lot of history behind them being brought out and used again.

The Spencer tiara most likely though will be kept for use in the direct Spencer line. The Earl Spencer's daughter. Charlotte. is more likely to wear the tiara in the future rather than William's Charlotte though. As time passes, William's Charlotte will have access to wear some of the tiaras in the royal vault (like the Halo) whereas Charlotte Spencer will only have access to the Spencer tiaras.

Exactly. And Charles S has 5 daughters, so I doubt he's going to be lending one of his to Princess C who will have plenty of her own unless there was some speicail occasion where she wanted to wear one htat her grandmother had worn.

Exactly. And Charles S has 5 daughters, so I doubt he's going to be lending one of his to Princess C who will have plenty of her own unless there was some speicail occasion where she wanted to wear one htat her grandmother had worn.

In time and as the monarchy progresses, I can see Princess Charlotte even wearing the Lover's Knot tiara that has been returned to the Queen's vault that Diana used to wear. That would more identify Charlotte with her grandmother than the Spencer tiara one in my book.

I don't see Princess Charlotte being identified with either of her grandparents individually but more so as a product of the both of them as time passes. She'll be a descendant of both the Windsors and the Spencers and have an unique personality of her own.

:previous:

I have the idea you are projecting one of your favorite royals with it and so the Spencer diadem becomes something special. Look at the own merites of the diadem: an "off the shelf" design with lots of scrollwork, set with stones which only needed to have some sparkle (the strictness on colour, cut, clarity and carat was not applied). It is also visible that the central part differs in design from the rest of the diadem and looks as if a brooch has been used as a centre piece.

It is what it is: a wonderful diadem for a Countess Spencer, the châtelaine of Althorp hosting a nice ball there. The Spencers have another diadem, the design is questionable, but in everything a truly royal and grand diadem unlike this one.

Had Lady Diana never wore this diadem at her worldfamous wedding and had one only seen it worn by her sisters Lady Jane or Lady Frances, one would hardly have noticed that diadem.

The dictionary definition of regal is;

of, resembling, or fit for a monarch, especially in being magnificent or dignified.
"her regal bearing"
synonyms:majestic, grand, impressive, imposing, splendid, superb, magnificent, noble, proud, stately, dignified, exalted, glorious, striking, spectacular, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, sumptuous, opulent, fine, luxurious, deluxe, lavish, resplendent, monumental, palatial, august, distinguished, great;

The Spencer Tiara is lightweight and sparkling in the right lights but not regal.

I've always liked the Spencer Tiara.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom