Principality of Wallachia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anastasia ana

Gentry
City
IASI
Country
Romania
Wallachia (Valachia)
(Ţara Românească)

1317-1859

Ottoman vassal (1415–19th c.)
Russian protectorate (18th–19th c.)
Part of modern-day Romania

Flag of Wallachia

Last edited by a moderator:

Coat of Arms of Wallachia

Walachia.svg‎ (SVG file, nominally 1,048 × 687 pixels, file size: 348 KB)
SOURCE
File:Walachia.svg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wallachia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the region in what is now Southern Romania. There are other regions called Wallachia, such as the Moravian Wallachia and the Thessaly Wallachia; see Vlachs. For the antagonist of Melty Blood, see Night of Walachia. For the micronation, see Kingdom of Wallachia.
Ţara Românească
Цѣра Рȣмѫнѣскъ
Ottoman vassal (1415–19th c.)
Russian protectorate (18th–19th c.)1317–1859
FlagCoat of arms

Map of present-day Romania, with historical Wallachia in redCapitalCâmpulung, Curtea de Argeş, Târgovişte, BucharestLanguage(s)Romanian (commonly used, later official), Church Slavonic (in early official use)GovernmentPrincipalityPrinces of Wallachia (voivodes, hospodars) - 1310–52 (first)Basarab I - 1859–62 (last)Alexander John CuzaHistory - Voivodships unified
under Basarab I1317 - Mehmed I restored
Ottoman suzerainty
1419 - Long and Moldavian
Magnate
wars
1593–1621 - Treaties:
- Küçük Kaynarca
- Erdine
21 July 1774 (10 July OS)
14 September 1829 (2 Sept OS) - Regulamentul Organic1834–35 - Unions:
- with Moldavia
- with Transylvania
5 February 1859 (24 Jan OS)
26 March 1881 (13 Mar OS) 1859Wallachia or Walachia (Romanian: Ţara Românească or Valahia, archaic: Ţeara Rumânească, Cyrillic: Цѣра Румѫнѣскъ / Цѣра Рȣмѫнѣскъ) is a historical and geographical region of Romania. It is situated north of the Danube and south of the Southern Carpathians. Wallachia is sometimes referred to as Muntenia (Greater Wallachia), through identification with the larger of its two traditional sections; the smaller being Oltenia (Lesser Wallachia).
Wallachia was founded as a principality in the early 14th century by Basarab I, after a rebellion against Charles I of Hungary. In 1415, Wallachia accepted the suzerainty of the Ottoman Empire; this lasted until the 19th century, albeit with brief periods of Russian occupation between 1768 and 1854. In 1859, Wallachia united with Moldavia (the other Danubian Principality), to form the basis of the modern state of Romania, with Transylvania joining 61 years later to form the new Kingdom of Romania which was first established 1881.

Name
The name Wallachia, generally not used by Romanians themselves (but present in some contexts as Valahia or Vlahia), is derived from the ethnonym Valach, a word used originally by Germanic peoples to designate their Romance-speaking neighbours, or foreigners in general, and subsequently taken over by Slavic-speakers to refer to Romanians, with variants such as Vlach, Blach, Bloc, Bloh, Boloh etc.—see also: History of the term Vlach.
In the early Middle Ages, in Slavonic texts, the name of Zemli Ungro-Vlahiskoi (Земли Унгро-Влахискои)or "Hungaro-Wallachian Land") was also used. The term, translated in Romanian as "Ungrovalahia", remained in use up to the modern era in a religious context, referring to the Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan seat of Hungaro-Wallachia, in contrast to Thessalian Wallachia, or Great Wallachia in Macedonia, a medieval state, or Small Wallachia (Mala Vlaška) in Serbia.[1] Official designations of the state were Muntenia (The Land beyond the Mountains) and Ţeara Rumânească (Terra Romana, or The Romanian Land).
For long periods after the 14th century, Wallachia was referred to as Vlaško (Влашко) by Bulgarian sources, Vlaška by Serbian sources and Walachei or Walachey by German-speaking (Transylvanian Saxon) sources. The traditional Hungarian name for Wallachia is "Havasalföld", or literally "Snowy Lowlands" (the older form is "Havaselve", which means "Land beyond the snowy mountains"). In Ottoman Turkish and Turkish, "Eflak", a word derived from "Vlach", is used.
SOURCE WIKIPEDIA

Geography

The present-day counties comprising Wallachia

Wallachia is situated north of the Danube (and of present-day Bulgaria), east of Serbia and south of the Southern Carpathians, and is traditionally divided between Muntenia in the east (as the political center, Muntenia is often understood as being synonymous with Wallachia), and Oltenia (a former banat) in the west. The division line between the two is the Olt River.
Wallachia's traditional border with Moldavia coincided with the Milcov River for most of its length. To the east, over the Danube north-south bend, Wallachia neighbours Dobruja (Northern Dobruja). Over the Carpathians, Wallachia shared a border with Transylvania; Wallachian princes have for long held possession of areas north of the line (Amlaş, Ciceu, Făgăraş, and Haţeg), which are generally not considered part of Wallachia-proper.
The capital city changed over time, from Câmpulung to Curtea de Argeş, then to Târgovişte and, after the late 16th century, to Bucharest.

Foundation of Wallachia

Jump to: navigation, search

The foundation of Wallachia (Romanian: Descălecatul Ţării Româneşti), that is the establishment of the first independent Romanian principality, was achieved at the beginning of the 14th century, through the unification of smaller political units that had existed between the Carpathian Mountains, and the Rivers Danube, Siret and Milcov.[1][2][3]
Prior to the consolidation of Wallachia, waves of nomadic peoples – the last of them being the Cumans and the Mongols – rode across the territory.[4][5] The territory became a frontier area between the Golden Horde (the westernmost part of the Mongol Empire) and the Kingdom of Hungary after 1242.[6] The Romanians in Muntenia, east of the Olt River, had to pay tribute to the Mongols; and west of the river, in Oltenia, they were oppressed by the Bans of Severin, appointed by the Kings of Hungary.[7] The Golden Horde’s domination decreased in the region at the end of the 13th century, and at that time the Kingdom of Hungary also underwent a strong political crisis.[8] These events enabled the incipient states of the territory to consolidate their autonomy.[8]
One Romanian tradition records that Wallachia was founded when a certain Radu Negru (‘Radu the Black’) arrived from the Făgăraş region in the 1290s after crossing the Transylvanian Alps with “a great many following him”.[5][9] More credible is the report that some Romanian lords in the Olt and Argeş valleys chose as leader one of their number, a certain Basarab.[5]
It was Voivode Basarab I (c. 1310–1352) who broke off with the Kingdom of Hungary and refused to accept the king’s suzerainty.[1] Basarab I received international support and the recognition of the autonomy of Wallachia due to his great military victory over King Charles I of Hungary (1301–1342) at Posada on November 12, 1330.[1][10][11] The Metropolitan See of Wallachia, directly subordinated to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, was set up during the reign of Basarab I’s son, Nicolae Alexandru (1352–1364).[12][13] The first silver and bronze coins were minted in Wallachia in 1365.[14]

Creation
Main article: Foundation of Wallachia

Wallachia between XIIIth - XVIth centuries, overlayed with current national borders

One of the first written pieces of evidence of local voivodes is in connection with Litovoi (1272), who ruled over land each side of the Carpathians (including Făgăraş in Transylvania), and refused to pay tribute to the Hungarian King Ladislaus IV. His successor was his brother Bărbat (1285–1288). The continuing weakening of the Hungarian state by further Mongol invasions (1285–1319) and the fall of the Árpád dynasty opened the way for the unification of Wallachian polities, and to independence from Hungarian rule.

The Battle of Posada in the Chronicon Pictum

The seal of Voivode Mircea the Elder from 1390, depicting the coat of arms of Wallachia

Wallachia's creation, held by local traditions to have been the work of one Radu Negru, is historically connected with Basarab I (1310–1352), who rebelled against Charles I of Hungary and took up rule on either side of the Olt River, establishing his residence in Câmpulung as the first ruler in the House of Basarab. Basarab refused to grant Hungary the lands of Făgăraş, Amlaş and the Banat of Severin, defeated Charles in the Battle of Posada (1330), and extended his lands to the east, to comprise lands as far as Kilia (in the Bujak, as the origin of Bessarabia);[8] rule over the latter was not preserved by following princes, as Kilia fell to the Nogais ca.1334.[9]
Basarab was succeeded by Nicolae Alexandru, followed by Vladislav I. Vladislav attacked Transylvania after Louis I occupied lands south of the Danube, conceded to recognize him as overlord in 1368, but rebelled again in the same year; his rule also witnessed the first confrontation between Wallachia and the Ottoman Turks (a battle in which Vladislav was allied with Ivan Shishman of Bulgaria).[10] Under Radu I and his successor Dan I, the realms in Transylvania and Severin continued to be disputed with Hungary.[11]
[edit] 1400–1600

Main article: Romania in the Middle Ages

Mircea I of Wallachia or MIRCEA THE ELDER , ruled between 1355 – 1418,and was the son of voivede RADU I of Wallachia and Lady CALINICA , descendant of THE HOUSE DE BASARAB
FROM WIKIPEDIA ;" He was the father to Vlad II Dracul and grandfather of Mircea II, Vlad the Impaler (Dracula), Vlad Călugărul and Radu the Handsome. All of these would at one time or the other rule Wallachia, with Mircea II and Vlad Ţepeş both being able military commanders (the latter would eventually become one of the most notorious leaders in history, and the inspiration for the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker).'

Mircea's reign is considered to have brought stability to Wallachia, which was in. a volatile region of the world,but during Mircea's rule, WALLACHIA controlled the largest area in its history: from the river OLT till thje DANUBE and the BLACK SEA
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mircea_I_of_Wallachia:
"Mircea strengthened the power of the state and organized the different high offices, promoted economic development, increased the state's revenue, and minted silver money that enjoyed wide circulation not only inside the country but also in neighboring countries. He gave the merchants of Poland and Lithuania trade privileges and renewed those his predecessors had given to the people of Braşov. As a result, Mircea was able to afford increasing his military power. He fortified the Danube citadels and strengthened "the great army" made up of townspeople and of free and dependent peasants. He also proved to be a great supporter for the Church.[4]"

source :http://people.famouswhy.com/mircea_cel_batran/;

Because he wanted to keep the independenc
e of the country he formed alliances with Vladislav the II of Poland in 1389 and Sigismund of Luxemburg, king of Hungary. He needed them to fight against the Ottoman Empire.

In October 1394 he fought with Baiazid I at Rovine and even if his army was four times smaller that the Turk's he won the battle. After that and with the help of Sigismund of Luxemburg he got rid of Vlad Uzurpatorul who was supported by Ottomans.

In 1397 and 1400 he won again battles against the Ottomans who were returning from Transylvania after they had gone there to steal.

Timur Lenk beat Baiazid I in Ankara in 1402 and Mircea organized with a Hungarian emperor a campaign against the Turks. In 1404 he was again ruling over Dobrogea and he helped Musa to occupy the Ottoman throne.

Leunclavius, a German historic called him "the bravest and ablest of the Christian princes". Mircea had reigned for 32 years. He won many battles against the Ottoman Empire and is known also like an art lover. He had built the Cozia Monastery and other beautiful monuments.

At the end of his reign he had signed a treaty with the Ottoman Empire in which they recognized Valahia as a free and independent territory in return of 3000 gold pieces annually.

He passed away on January 31, 1418 and was buried in Cozia Monastery. The throne was given to his son, Mihail II.

Read more: Mircea cel Batran Biography, Pictures, Videos - FamousWhy

Yes, dear lenora, i will try

To continue with TRANSILVANIA, if my computer allows me, lol,
thank you for visitng my threads, you are very kind, i appreciate you very much, thank you again,
wishing a nice week ahead,
kind reguards

After MIRCEA THE ELDER there were the following ruling:
Vlad I the Usurper 1394-1397
Mihail I,from family BASARAB, son of MIRCEA THE ELDER, who ruled between 1418-1420
DAN II ,from the family DANESTI, ruled1421 - 1423
VLAD II,from DRACULESTI family,illegitimate son of Mircea cel Bătrân; member of ORDER OF THE DRAGON (thus Dracul) ruled 1436 - 1442,1443-1447

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/TITZERHERMINA/vlad-tepes.jpg

His castle is supposed to be Bran's Castle since its narrow corridors constitute a mysterious labyrinth of ghostly nooks and secret chambers easy to hide a "vampire".

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/TITZERHERMINA/bran2.jpg

The Dracula's Castle was built on the edge of the Bran Pass and nowadays lures guests worldwide who wish to partake in the legend of the Count Dracula.

Dracula's Castle - Bran Castle Romania
But it seems th reality was that he lived FORTRESS POIENARI

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/TITZERHERMINA/cetate-vlad-tepes.jpg

Poienari fortress Vlad Tepes | Arges

The welknown VLAD III TEPES (Vlad the Impaler) from family DRACULESTI,was the son of VLAD II DRACUL, called VLAD DRACULA (son of DRACUL) went on the throne on
1448, and 1456-1462

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n578/TITZERHERMINA/vlad_tepes-125.jpg

About his life and interesting personality you can read in the following
VLAD TEPES - The Historical Dracula

Vlad Tepes had a brother called Radu "the Beautiful". He reigned as Radu III, Voivode of Walachia, and replaced his brother, when Vlad Tepes was killed in 1476. The two brothers became estranged because Radu supported the Ottoman Sultan. Some accounts say that Sultan Mehmet II and Radu were lovers during Radu & Vlad's early confinement in Turkey. Radu is described as having black hair and magnificent blue eyes. Radu later had a daughter. Vlad Tepes had a son, Minhea I "the Bad"- seems he might have inherited some of his father's traits!.The Basarab dynasty continued in the male line till the 17th century. The last two Voivodes of this family were Mihai II Radu, a desdendant of Vlad Tepes, and Constantin, a descendant of Dan II (the Danesti). Mihai had two sisters who married Hospidars of Moldavia. Constantin had a sister Helena, who married Constantin Cantacuzene. I believe that the Basarab dynasty is now represented by the Cantacuzene family, but I stand to be corrected. Voivodes descended in the female line from the Basarabs reigned till the 19th century when Wallachia was united with Moldavia to from the United Principality of Romania, later the Kingdom of Romania. The present king, Mihai (Michael) Hohenzollern, can claim descent in the female line from the Basarabs. You can get the pedigree of the Basarab dynasty at www.genealogy.euweb.cz/balkan/basarab.html. The progenitor was either a Bulgarian boyar, or a Mongol Khan. I don't know if there are any male-line descendants of the Basarab family left. I have read that A Romanian artist who died in the era of the communist dictator Nicolae Ceaucescu, was the last of the male ine of the Basarabs- I don't know if this is true.

Hi Cory and Anastasia Anna. David Hughes (The British Chronicles Vol 2) says there is a surviving male line of descent from Vlad "Tepes" through his son Mihnea "the Bad". It goes as follows: Mihnea I "cel Rau" d. 1510[m.(1)Smaranda Szapolya]; his son Mircea III d. 1521 [m. Despina of Moldavia]; his younger son Petru III "Schiopul" d. 1594 [m.(3) Maria Gronitz]; his son Mircea V d. 1640 [m. Erzsebet of Hungary]; his son Bogdan "Tsepes" d. 1654 [m. Katalin Racoczy]; his son Bogdan Tsepes d. 1672 [m. Ilona Apafi]; his son Radu XV r. 1688-89,1699; his son Vlad IX(X) r. 1724; his son Mircea Tsepes d. 1750 [m.(2) Gavrilla Radescu]; his son Mihnea Tsepes d. 1778 [m.Maria Tsanblac]; his son Alexandru Tsepes d. 1811 [m. Elena Moruzi]; his son Petru Tsepes d. 1845 [m. Vera Cuza de Vijez]; his son Arkady Tsepes [m. Mary Windham]; his son Stefan George Tsepes. Stefan has 2 sons, Petru and Mircea, and a daughter Elena. Petru would be the head of this family if he is still alive. Stefan had 2 uncles Stefan and George Tsepes, Arkady had 2 uncles, Alexandru d. 1850, and Radu d. 1855. I don't know the details of the descendants of these men.

Thank you for the information,it would be great if some analysis implying DNA could be done.Is it exactly known that Mihnea was his son?

Hi Lenore. Mihnea cel Rau was the son of Vlad IV "Tepes" by his first wife, a Transylvanian lady whose name has been lost. He followed the same anti-Ottoman Pro- Christian policies as his father, and like his dad,was unpopular with the Boyars. DNA tests would have to be done on the remains of known princes of the Basarab dynasty. I am not sure where Vlad is buried. He was beheaded after being killed in 1476.

If have further information on this family: the name of the wife of Radu XV who reigned briefly from 1688-89, and again briefly in 1699 was Anna. His son, Vlad IX/X was married to Maria of Arolash. I have read that Stefan George Tsepesh, son of Arkady Tsepesh, married a lady named Ladyell Macasa Hintryll. Their three children were born in 1880, 1882, and 1884 respectively. I have no information on what happened to these children or who their descendants might be. They would all have died around 1950-1960 like my late grandfather.

You might be interested to know that this family- descended from Vlad "Tepes" was one scary family! No less than THREE wives committed suicide;
1. Vlad "Tepes" first wife threw herself from the tower of Poenari castle in 1462, to avoid being captured by Turkish Janissaries.
2. Zsusza Rosetti, the first wife of Mircea Tsepes (son of Vlad IX/X) committed suicide in about 1719.
3. Elena Moruzzi, wife of Alexandru Tsepes (grandson of Mircea Tsepes) committed suicide in 1795.
4. Mary Windham, the English wife of Arkady Tsepesh, is said to have shot her husband in self defence, after her started behaving strangely towards her and their newborn son, Stefan George Tsepesh. This happened in 1845. She remarried (Professor Jan van Helsing). Stefan George was raised by his stepfather. Before the death of his father Petru, Arkady was charming and he and Mary enjoyed a very happy marriage in England- until they returned to the family estate in Transylvania, following the death of Petru Tsepesh. The family seems to have been cursed in some manner.

This family- descended from Vlad "Tepes", bore the title Printul/Principe Tsepesh-Dracul(a), according to a Spanish website. This title was born by the head of the family in each generation.

Bram Stoker, author of the famous vampire novel about Count Dracula based his fictitious chararcters on the lives of the real family descended from Petru III "Schiopul". It is very important to separate fact from fiction. Some of the information you will read on the internet about the Princes Tsepesh-Dracul is fictitious. However there is a real family descended from Petru III. which was still flourishing at the end of the 19th century.Anyone who wants more information on this family should contact David Hughes, author of The British Chronicles. His pedigree of the Voivodes of Wallachia is much more detailed and authoritative than any other I have seen. Most lists of the Voivodes donot include ALL the Voivodes, some of whom only reigned for a year, of even a few weeks. The Ottoman Sultans undermined the power of the Voivodes which is why they came and went so frequently. The Basarab dynasty lost power by the end of the 17th century, however the Basarab family DIDNOT BECOME EXTINCT. You can contact him on RdavidH218@AOL.com.

A lady by the name of COSMINA TSEPESH posted a thread on ANCESTRY.COM in 2008. She is requesting information about her family and relatives - she claims direct descent from Vlad "Tepes". From her surname, I suspect that she might be a descendant of Petru III "Shiopul", Voivode of Wallachia (died 1594). She could even be a descendant of either Petru Tsepesh, or Mircea Tsepesh who were born in the 1880s and, according to David Hughes, have documented descent from Mircea V, son of Petru III, and through him from Vlad IV "Tepes". I replied to her post, but since she posted that message three years ago, I don't know if she has read/received my reply. If anyone can help, let us know?

Back
Top Bottom