Kingdom of Armenia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's stable about them? Most monarchies have had periods of civil war, changes of dynasty, and overthrow of monarchy

I think monarchies are the most stable regimes with a connection to their country and people that republics cannot have.

Are countries such as Portugal and Ireland both republics not considered stable regimes?

Are countries such as Portugal and Ireland both republics not considered stable regimes?

I don't know about Ireland.
I don't think the republic in Portugal is very stable. But right now that's what we have here in Portugal.

Of course there are stable republics. But I think historically monarchies are more stable.

There are a number of people who could claim to be the "King of Armenia" today. In no particular order they are:

Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples after Queen Charlotte sold her claim to Carlo I, Duke of Savoy the House of Savoy would continue to inherit the claim wether they acknowleded it or not.

Prince Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta disputed head of the House of Savoy due to the marrige and questionable actions of Vittorio Emanuele.

Franz, Duke of Bavaria as Armenia allowed for female succession unlike the Italian states, a claim could be made that as soon as there are no direct male heirs the throne would split, after Vittorio Emanuele I of Sardina the throne would thus unify with the Jacobite line.

Charles-Antoine Lamoral de Ligne-La Trémoïlle the senior recognised claimant to Cyprus would also naturally have a claim to Armenia because of the period the two were in personal union.

Archduke Dominic of Austria instead of trying to find a descendnant from the mess that is the "senior" line to the throne, perhaps things should be simplified and we should look at the original pretenders from the House of Brienne who claimed the throne in opposition to the Cypriot Kings, the most direct and senior descendant is indeed a Habsburg.

Sophie Audouin-Mamikonian a French writer claims to be the "Princess of Armenia as the Heiress of the Ancient Kingdom of Armenia" due to being descended from some Armenian monarchs centuries ago, in my opinion her claim is questionable however as everyone can trace their ancestory back to royalty eventually so everyone with some Armenian blood would be able to claim to be descendants too.

Prince David Bagrationi Mukhrani of Georgia the head of the Georgian branch of the House of Bagrationi which died out in Armenia, however as Georgia is likely to restore its monarchy Armenia might want to avoid a personal union.

Prince Nugzar Petres dze Bagration-Gruzinsky disputed head of the House of Bagrationi, could create a junior branch in Armenia, however on the ascension of his grandson the throne would unify.

Which of these is the favorite of Armenian monarchists? and what is most famous in Armenia?

look at why these monarchies were aboloihed, things like communism and military dictatorships are responsible.

The point is most fallen monarchies would not have so swiftly met their demise had there been strong / vocal popular support behind them instead of widespread antipathy / apathy.

And remember that far more European monarchies were eliminated / swallowed by other monarchies than by communists and military dictators: Duchy of Mantua, Khanate of Crimea, the monarchies in and near Georgia, the Kingdom of Poland, Duchy of Kurland, the Principality of Piombino, the 2 Hohenzollern principalities, Electoral Hesse, the Kingdom of Hanover, Duchy of Nassau, Duchy of Modena & Reggio, Duchy of Parma, Kingdom of Two Sicilies, Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Kingdom of Montenegro. Only in a few cases (Georgia, Poland and Two Sicilies) was there noticeable resistance by the citizenry. And don't forget how many lesser monarchs (Leiningen, Solms, Hohenlohe, Löwenstein, Bentheim, Waldburg, Oettingen, Fürstenberg, etc.) in the final years of the Holy Roman Empire were gobbled-up by neighboring monarchies during a chaotic free-for-all of secularization and mediatization.

In the case of fallen monarchies which were not absorbed by other monarchies, the citizenry in Mexico, France (in both 1848 & 1870), Neuchâtel, Brazil, Portugal, Russia, Austria-Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Italy, Greece, and the German Empire and its 20+ subsidiary monarchies largely moved on after alternative governments were established, with relatively few shedding a tear over the deposed dynasty, or even bothering to look back.

Last edited:
If the page defaults to Spanish, mouse over it and right click to select Translate to English

The last King of Armenia was Lord of Madrid

The last King of Armenia was taken prisoner by the Egyptian Mamluks, but freed thanks to the efforts and payments made for his release by a Christian King of whom he had no idea: John I of Castile...

...The new kingdom of Armenia was important for the German Empire and for the papacy. It was a Christian kingdom – the Armenians declared that they were the first Christian nation, since 300 AD. C. – embedded in the middle of the Muslim sea andcould provide vital logistical and strategic help to future campaigns for the Holy Places.

Back
Top Bottom