Husainid Dynasty of Tunisia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James Frankcom

Commoner
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
With many exiles returning to Tunisia at the moment due to the upheaval in that country it is not inconceivable that Prince Muhammed Bey al-Husein (Muhammed X), grandson of the last king - King Muhammed VIII (1943-1957) - will return to his country. This should be something we watch....

To be honest... not at all sure who the head of the family is.... royal ark indicates it could be:

1) Prince (Sidi) 'Ali Bey. b. at Sidi-Bou-Saïd, 29th July 1915, educ. privately. Rcvd: the Nishan ad-Dam and GC of the Nishan al-Iftikhar. m. (first) at Sidi-Bou-Saïd, June 1942, Lalla Zainab, daughter of Si 'Abdu'l Aziz Bakushi [Abdelaziz Baccouche], by his wife, Lalla Beya, née Farhat. m. (second) Lalla Razia [Radhia], née Essafi. He had issue, four sons and two daughters:

a) Prince (Sidi) Faruk Bey.
b) Prince (Sidi) Tariq Bey.
c) Prince (Sidi) Mahdi Husain [Mehdi Hassine] Bey.
d) Prince (Sidi) Karim Bey.
a) Princess (Lalla) Aisha [Aïcha]. m. (first) 5th October 1985 (div.) Prince (Sidi) Muhammad Razi [Radhid] Bey (b. 25th July 1960, m. second, Lalla Maherzia), son of Prince Muhammad Said Bey, by his wife, Lalla Zainab. She has issue, two sons - see above.
b) Princess (Lalla) Dorra

Another leading member of the family appears to be Prince Fayçal Bey...

tunis13

Last edited:
Tunisia went from a Beylik to Kingdom upon independence in 1956, similar to Morocco's change from Sultanate to Kingdom. However, Habib Bourguiba had the monarchy deposed the next year- no popular revolution or referendum. Thus began the authoritarian system that was only overthrown this year. I haven't heard much about the Husainids, even with the most recent upheavals.

I have heard that the name of Habib means "Darling"

The current pretender to the throne of Tunisia lives near Tunis and is about 95 years old. After the monarchy was overthrown in bloodless coup in 1957 the ex-monarch and his family remained in the country. The pretender to the throne is currently Crown Prince Ali Bey of Tunisia. I think a picture of him can be found here...

tunis13

Last edited:
Prince Rechad al-Mahdi al-Hussaini of Tunisia

Can anybody offer any updated information or news on controversial Tunisian claimant pretender from the 1970s-80s Prince Rechad al-Mahdi al-Hussaini?
I believe Burkes World Peerage among other Royalty authors were convinced of his claim for many years.
I first came across him in a Biography on him (and supporting his claim) published by The Monarchist Press Association in 1970s by James Page.
Can any one tell me if Rechad al-Mahdi was actually related as stated in this book, even if his succession claim is disputed or illegitimate?
Who are the Tunisian Royalist advisors and experts quoted and mentioned in his book biog supporting his claim?
Were the abdication and succession claims in favour of his father as Crown Prince and himself as Heir Apparant completely bogus or merely disputed?
What has become of Rechad al-Mahdi and any Tunisian supporters he had,in recent years? Thank you anyone who can help with this!
Ruhije - UK

Any possible restoration of Monarchy in Tunisia?

Tunisian Succession.

Any possible restoration of Monarchy in Tunisia?

I would think it extremely unlikely for any national feeling in favour of The Tunisian Monarchies official restoration.
The original Beylical rule of The Hussainid Dynasty was protected and supported by French colonial interests and traditional religious loyalty to The Hussainid lineage and autocratic rule under The Beys of Tunis.
None, or very little, of that applies to the modern and younger generation of Tunisia post-Ben Ali dictatorship today.
But many family members of The Hussainid Dynasty do still live in Tunisia as private citizens today, with some traditional respect and honour from some of the older generation who remember the days of the Beylical rule or that era pre-1957 with some effection.
Most the senior Heirs of The Royal Hussainid Family are quite old now and there isnt a younger well known or popular charismatic Royal Heir for people to rally around or promote any new national feeling for Monarchist sentiment.
The last Bey of Tunis was only King of independent Tunisia for such a short time.

Last edited:
Prince Faysal visited the country after the fall of Ben Ali?

Back
Top Bottom