How did Carl Gustaf and Silvia meet?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Siliva Sommerlath was one of the senior/more important hostesses at the Olympic Games in Münich and as such she worked as a hostess for several V.I.P.:s, one of them was the then crown prince Carl Gustav of Sweden. He saw her in the V.I.P. lounge, she noticed him looking at her through binoculars even if she was sitting just a few metres away. Carl Gustav asked Siliva for a date and that's how it began.

Meraude said:
Siliva Sommerlath was one of the senior/more important hostesses at the Olympic Games in Münich and as such she worked as a hostess for several V.I.P.:s, one of them was the then crown prince Carl Gustav of Sweden. He saw her in the V.I.P. lounge, she noticed him looking at her through binoculars even if she was sitting just a few metres away. Carl Gustav asked Siliva for a date and that's how it began.

That is so sweet! They really are my Favourite couple

Is there any more information on Carl Gustaf and Silvia in the early years? How did she adjust to being Queen, what was her reaction to him being a Prince, did Carl Gustaf almost buckle under his grandfather wanting him to marry royalty or was he determined to be with Silvia... I need a Swedish tabloid inspired book about this couple.

I think that Carl Gustaf's grandfather would have definitely had a problem with him marrying a commoner and would not have approved the marriage. My guess is that Gustaf VI Adolph's disapproval was not a big barrier because he died a year after Carl Gustaf and Silvia met, Carl Gustaf proposed to Silvia after he'd been on throne for 2.5 years.

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia met at the Summer Olympics in Munich, Germany in 1972.

https://www.newmyroyals.com/2016/02/carl-gustaf-and-silvia-at-beginning-of.html

Is this the oldest photo of King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia together?

An expert poster here said that that was essentially their first date, amazingly. If there were any photos of their meeting at the Olympics, we probably would have seen them by now.

So was Silvia ever introduced to Gustav Adolf, or not?

Princess Birgitta has told to Svensk Damtidning about how she met Silvia, and how Silvia and Carl Gustaf met.

The Summer Olympics had been inaugurated earlier in the day and Birgitta's little brother Crown Prince Carl Gustaf, 26, had spotted the main hostess with his binoculars. Then it became VIP mingling and he sent his adjutant to invite Silvia, it already clicked wildly.
But it wasn't a date for just the two of them. Silvia ended up in the middle of the royal family's private dinner. She was late, and once she slipped into the restaurant in her long black cape, she was met not only by Sweden's Crown Prince, but also by Prince Bertil, Princess Lilian (then Lilian Craig), Princess Birgitta and her husband Prince Johann Georg.
- It was an unforgettable evening. But quite crazy! said Princess Birgitta.
- We had had time to have a glass before Silvia arrived, so everyone was very happy and suddenly Prince Bertil wanted to play bullfighting. Silvia wore such a long black cape over her Olympic dress and she had to hold it up and we pretended it was the red cape. Poor Silvia, she probably thought we were crazy!
The King and Silvia - was it love at first sight?
- Yes, it absolutely was.
Did you notice that?
- No, we did not. Not then. But she was just the right one!
Prinsessan Birgitta – avslöjandet om drottning Silvia _*Svensk Dam

Last edited:
The King and Queen Silvia have something big to celebrate:
Today it is exactly 50 years since their eyes met for the first time.
He was 26 and she was 28 and the place was the boiling Olympic Stadium in Munich. A life-changing meeting that completely changed Queen Silvia's life. And what would the Royal House have been without Silvia?
Svensk Damtidning spoke with queen Silvia about that day when queen Silvia was at the Day of the Elderly on Wednesday:

How does the Queen remember that day?
The queen:
- Yes, it was very strange! After all, it was during the opening of the Olympic Games and there were so many people there, there were 60,000 in the audience and 10,000 journalists. There was so much going on, and my task at the time was to take care of all the VIPs who were there. So it was intense and it was a big responsibility, that everything would work.
- But then I felt that there was a person looking at me through binoculars, just a few meters away. And it was the king! I don't know what to say, but...it was very special. It was like time stopped... It was very strange. I think that's when it said click.
After the opening there was a VIP mingling and then they saw each other again.
The king sent his aide-de-camp to invite Silvia to dinner. Of course she said yes. It was the beginning of an intense evening, and of a now lifelong relationship.
The queen told to Svensk Damtidning that she waits for the king to have a surprise today, on their special day.
50 år sen Silvia träffade kungen – berättar själv om firandet i kväll _*Svensk Dam

So was Silvia ever introduced to Gustav Adolf, or not?

According to Carl Gustav's uncle, Carl Johan Bernadotte, Gustav Adolf knew about Silvia, but never met her.

Back
Top Bottom