State Visit to Finland

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Her_Majesty

Moderator Emeritus
City
Munich
Country
Germany
King Harald and Queen Sonja will go on a State Visit to Finland from 5th to 7th June.

Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway have begun a state visit to Finland today at the invitation of President of the Republic Tarja Halonen. The visit will last for three days and during it Their Royal Highnesses will visit also Espoo (Esbo) and Turku (Åbo).

The Royal Couple arrived at Helsinki at around 10 a.m. local time on the Royal Yacht Norge and were greeted by a 21-gun salute at the historical Viaborg Sea Fortress by the Finnish Navy's Guided Missile Boat "Hamina".

Their Majesties The King and Queen were officially welcomed to Finland by Her Excellency President Halonen and Dr. Arajärvi outside the Presidential Palace in Helsingfors.

At 13:30 local time Their Majesties The King and Queen visited Riksdagshuset (the Parliament) in Helsingfors and visited Sandudds (Hietaniemi) cemetery for wreath-laying ceremony (14:20).

Later today Their majesties will also visit EMMA - Museum of modern art in Esbo and Her Majesty The Queen opens the exhibition "Norwegian contemporary architecture 2000-2005 at Kabelfabrikken (16:30).
Their Majesties The King and Queen will also attend several seminars and in the evening attend gala dinner at the Presidential Palace (20:00).

Photos of the official visit can be found here:

Iltalehti.fi | Viihde | 05.06.2007 | Sonja ja Harald tulivat Helsinkiin
Iltalehti.fi | Viihde | 05.06.2007 | Kuningaspari lounaalla
Norjan kuninkaan Haraldin Suomen vierailu kuvagalleria Ilta-Sanomat

And later here:

The President of Finland

Last edited:
The Queen looked very elegant during the first events. I really like her day-time fashion. ... epecially because of the light colours she wears.

Norways King Harald and Queen Sonja lay a wreath on the memorial of the Norwegian volunteers killed in the Winter War at the Hietaniemi cemetary in Helsinki 05 June 2007. The Norwaigan royal family started their visit to Finland today.

Royal Couple
The Queen -dressed in blue
The King

Gala Dinner

Mr. Pentti Arajarvi and Finnish President Tarja Halonen pose with Queen Sonja and King Harald of Norway at the Presidential Palace, 05 June 2007 in Helsinki. Queen Sonja and King Harald of Norway are on an official visit to Finland

Queen Sonja's Tiara and hair: wonderful.
The dress: Oh noo... not that one! :eek: I just knew it... it was hanging in her wardrobe quite a while now... I guess I'll never understand why she loves this dress so much. I think no one does. ^^

Gala Group Picture
Gala- Welcoming
President and Royal Couple
President and King

Last edited:
Queen Sonja looks out of place. President Halonen looks very smart and well attired, the two gents look distinguished but Her Majesty looks like she's fallen out of a late-night crossdresser's ball.

Queen Sonja (C) receives flowers from a Finnish girl as she attends with King Harald V (R) and Finnish President Tarja Halonen's husband Pentti Arajarvi (2nd R), an open-air jazz concert in Helsinki 06 June 2007

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

I knew it, it would either be the salmon or the yellow dress for Sonja! She seems to have difficulties seperating from them. I wonder how many times she has worn this one, it must be approaching the 10.

Marengo said:
I knew it, it would either be the salmon or the yellow dress for Sonja! She seems to have difficulties seperating from them. I wonder how many times she has worn this one, it must be approaching the 10.
There must be a special "magic" about this dress... ;)

Queen Sonja and King Harald arrive to the concert at Fiskartorpet in Helsinki, Finland, June 6, 2007. The Norwegian Royal couple started their official visit to Finland

Return Dinner

Royal Couple
The Queen's dress
Group Picture

Ear Rings
necklace (I think it belongs to the Star Wars Tiara)
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=2&ShowPicture=5760807&pos=18

another articles with picture:
Nettavisen - Kongen: - Ingen ny kald krig

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping us updated Your Majesty! The Queen looks radiant, dispite the jewelry (the star wars set isn't one of my favourites either).

Marengo said:
The Queen looks radiant, dispite the jewelry (the star wars set isn't one of my favourites either).
Imo it's the worst Norwegian Jewelry Set... :ermm:
Compared to the fantastic Emeralds and Diamonds they own....
it's just totally different and much too "spacey".

TURKU, FINLAND 20070607: King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway during her visit to the Aker Yards in the city of Turku, Finland, JUne 7, 2007. King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway are on a State Visit to Finland

meeting little kids with self-made Finnish and Norwegian Flaggs
meeting the kids
The Queen looking at a self-made crown
Using a self-made flagg

Royal Couple
Royal Couple2

with helmets
with helmet

(source: ANP Beeldbank)

Imo during this visit the Queen's day-wear looks 100 times better then her galadresses.
It's fantastic to see the Royal Couple meeting kids. Especially the Queen looks very happy about the warm welcome of the kids... the King keeps staying in her shadow. :D

The second event of the day
King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway in the Finnish town of Turku (or Åbo). They walked from The Royal Vessel to Åbo Castle for lunch.
Queen
The Couple leaving the "norge"
pointing
The Royal Couple
Royal Couple

(Source: Polfoto)

Last edited:
Wow. Her yellow dress looks really retro (like out of the 70's). Not bad, but I think the color just ruins it. It's also a very summery looking dress. Like it's meant to be worn to a garden party/wedding. If it didn't have the flounce on the upper part, it might pass muster, even in that yellow color. And, in regards to her jewelry, she must like the galactical, outerspace look. But, all in all, she looked fine. I liked her daytime wardrobe better than her gala wardrobe.

I must say, however much I like Jewells and splendour, I much more preffered QSonja in the dak blue and more low toned jewels on this state visit. I have mentioned before and I stand by my Statement, that QSonja does look better in casual and formal daywear, than in her evening and Galawear. She seems to give a very flouncy and overdone impression, the dark blue evening wear, was an exception.

I didn't mind the yellow dress that much, to be honest. It didn't look ill-fitting or anything, and sometimes I like seeing people in brighter, more cheery colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom