70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Roxsteve said:
I wonder if these people feel somewhat odd in this day and age wearing the expensive tiaras, jewels, dresses/suits, furs just for a party? It seems extravagant and outdated. I can see tiaras/crowns/etc in the 1800's but not today. It looks a little ridiculous.

The same could be said for royalty in general.

But if we're going to have royalty, I prefer to see the whole show: tiaras, furs, extravagant gowns.

There's nowhere else that you can see something like this today than at a royal event. If the royals stop wearing it, then its gone forever and that would be a shame.

lsme said:
I thought Marius was supposed to be at the sleighride. I just looked through most of the pictures that have been published and while there were plenty of the "royal" children, ie: Ingrid, Sverre, Maud and Leah, there was no Marius. Guess he didn't make the cut. It must have been a "Royal" only event. It's a good thing they have Morten to ship him off to. Of course, he was allowed to go the other events that were primarily family like the church service and the unveiling of the statue. Perhaps Marius got smart and went off to be with people who consider him a full and equal peer and are probably a lot more fun to be around. This is my opinion only and I am sure some of you will rush to defend the Royals with the standard excuses of why Marius, yet again, appears not to be at an event which the other family children are attending. Perhaps I missed him or perhaps the press didn't think he was anyone important and simply did not take his picture. IMO (and I realize that some of the posters think that I am not entitled to an opinion which is different from theirs or in anyway reflects badly on the Royals), actions speak louder than words. I simply find it very strange that Marius appears not to be attending what is definitely a "family" outing. Perhaps they felt that he would feel out of place among all his royal "betters". And in case you are interested, I feel as strongly about any child in any family, rich or poor, royal or common, being treated differently than the other children in that family. What should matter is the child not who their parents are or are not. Every child should be treated as an "official" equal member of their family. I give Haakon and Mette Marit (for I am sure they were the driving force behind it) full marks for finally getting Marius acknowledged as a full and equal family member on the Royal Family website. Let's hope I just missed Marius and he was attending. I would hate to think of the cream of European royalty subscribing to the idea found in George Orwell's "Animal Farm" that "...All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others..." I hope I have not offended you by my thoughts. I simply had nothing to add to the discussion about who had the nicest dress at the party the night before.

I think you may be a bit harsh on the Norwegian Royals. My son is twelve and I can tell you one thing he would really hate: one weekend with very, very old people and nothing but official functions. For a kid, it's not much more than that - no matter if the people in question are kings and queens; there will be no romping around with kids the same age! So I think the family did the sensible thing and kept the kids away from the program as much as possible (Ingrid and Sverre weren't there most of the time either) - just think of it: none of the royals present brought their young kids to the birthday party either; and they definitely can't be blamed of thinking their kids unworthy of the guests!

Roxsteve said:
I wonder if these people feel somewhat odd in this day and age wearing the expensive tiaras, jewels, dresses/suits, furs just for a party? It seems extravagant and outdated. I can see tiaras/crowns/etc in the 1800's but not today. It looks a little ridiculous.

Well, this is Royalty, you know. And it´s the dresscode Royalty is "obliged" to.
IMO Royals of today do wear jewels, orders and all that far too less!

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have anything that comes close to royalty in the U.S I think it is something wonderful to see women dressed up and classy. I'll take that over a
celebrity dressed in a gown one minute showing the world her private parts the next.

ysbel said:
The same could be said for royalty in general.

But if we're going to have royalty, I prefer to see the whole show: tiaras, furs, extravagant gowns.

There's nowhere else that you can see something like this today than at a royal event. If the royals stop wearing it, then its gone forever and that would be a shame.

I agree. You can't see this anywhere else BUT with royalty. I like the tradition and history of it. Times have changed and we've lost a lot of proper traditions and social grace, but I'm glad that royalty still remains to keep a part of history alive.

I didn't see any pictures of Mabel, only the ones with the black
dress. Are there any more?

popy said:

You see HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau with a sparkling diademe and collier in the group picture.

She stands in the line from HRH Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, Duchess and HH Princess Astrid, fru Ferner.
She stands next to HRH Infanta Cristina of Spain, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca.

Click 2x to blow the picture to gigantic size:

Last edited:
The discussion of which is better - monarchies or republics, can be taken another time.

Personal attacks, on the other hand, have no place here on this forum!

Several posts have been deleted for being off-topic, or in response to off-topic posts.

Get back on topic, please.

Norwegianne
TRF Administrator

Last edited:
Thanks to all that have posted pics of the sleigh ride.

I was also looking at ANB online photos of the sleigh ride they have some really nice ones. It sure does look cold...too cold for a sunshine lover like myself.

ysbel said:

I agree with you, ysbel. These people are walking history and they should keep it that way. At least the whole pump and circumstance is what makes them interesting and different from the rest of us. Without these kind of events from time to time a lot of people would loose interest anyway.

Everyone looked lovely. I especially liked Maxima & Laurentien's dresses. The two shockers of the night were Anne (who looked fabulous, very elegant and regal! and not stuffy like I've seen her look) and Mabel (could someone please get her a fashion coordinator, two nights in a row she looks hideous!).

Thanks for the beautiful pictures you attend us on the web-log from Royals.

princess gertrude said:
Everyone looked lovely. I especially liked Maxima & Laurentien's dresses. The two shockers of the night were Anne (who looked fabulous, very elegant and regal! and not stuffy like I've seen her look) and Mabel (could someone please get her a fashion coordinator, two nights in a row she looks hideous!).
But Laurentien could wore bra or smth under this red gown.

Mabel well...it's all Mabel with her own style:wacko: But she could surprise us and wore smth really stunning or even beautiful...

Last edited:
princess gertrude said:

Haha... but.... let us be happy with at least a Princess with a daring style.
Imagine we would all have seen the same style?
Thát would have been boring!

I'm impressed with her jewelry anyway.

:lol:

magnik said:
But Laurentien could wore bra or smth under this red gown.

That is a repeating pattern for Princess Laurentien, who was surprisingly regal with her stunning diademe.

:wub:

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
That is a repeating pattern for Princess Laurentien, who was surprisingly regal with her stunning diademe.

:wub:
Yes, the diademe was really wow:wub:

The pictures from the sleigh ride weren't that great I thought. You can hardly tell who is on each sleigh. I wanted to see Sverre Magnus! Purely selfish i know:wub: .
Will we see pictures of the royals leaving?

I loved the video of the gala, specially at the end, when Iñaki spins Cristina:wub::wub::wub::wub:

Maxie said:
I've seen pics of Mabel's outfit somewhere, don't have the source though, so can't post them.

But she's wearing a red version of this V&R dress:
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/4996/01io2.jpg
(Source: website V&R)

OoO I don't like that at all! Is that the right link are you sure? You are probably right Maxie it just seems really innappropriate for a royal gala!:ohmy: I'm seeing a picture of a dress which is white which has bars of material followed by strings of material. Quite revealing

lilytornado said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by popy

Here are pictures from Mabel:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/78/untitled1emr0.jpg

That dress is horrific. It's see-through, for cryin' out loud! I can see her skin from neck to ankle through the fringe of that dress. It would be one thing if there was a fabric underneath the fringe....but there's not, just her bare skin. If she was going to the Grammy's it would be cool, but not a gala ball in the honor of a King's birthday. Another huge miss for her.

crm2317 said:
OoO I don't like that at all! Is that the right link are you sure? You are probably right Maxie it just seems really innappropriate for a royal gala!:ohmy: I'm seeing a picture of a dress which is white which has bars of material followed by strings of material. Quite revealing

If you look up the page, lilytornado posted a link to a picture of Mabel wearing the exact same dress as that model, but in red.

Viktor & Rolf

Apparently the Princess remains loyal to her favourite designers.

Bows in the collection?

She will wear bows!

See-through designs in the collection?

She will wear see-through!

:flowers:

By the way, the Princess is not nude. I can see the red see-through underlayer.
Probably silk, tulle or organza.

Princess Mabel is not the type who will do anything with (dis)approval from thirds.
It is her own style and choice.

She is no born Orange-Nassau, but she already has the legendaric stubborness which lives in the Orange-Nassau genes.

Last edited:
That dress is enough to make me nostalgic for the bows. I wonder what the designers will come up with next.

It looks like a flapper dress . I give her points for being different and dressing in what she likes. I think the dress doesn't look good on her but I don't have a problem with skin not that much of her is showing. And I'm sure all the people at the party have seen worse.

Last edited:
Elspeth said:
That dress is enough to make me nostalgic for the bows. I wonder what the designers will come up with next.

At least the bows would have covered her skin up. I'm all for being different, but there's a time and a place to experiment with a new style, and a King's birthday gala is not one of them.

Henri M. said:
By the way, the Princess is not nude. I can see the red see-through underlayer.
Probably silk, tulle or organza.

The pieces of red fringe are secured to red fabric, yes. However if you actually look at her body, through the red fringe you see her flesh. It would be one thing if that fabric was not see-through, but it is. She might as well not have that fabric underneath the fringe because it doesn't hide anything.

crisiñaki said:
I loved the video of the gala, specially at the end, when Iñaki spins Cristina:wub::wub::wub::wub:

I can't see any of the videos they keep pausing. If it isn't too much trouble could someone post some links to videos of the dancing I would love to see Inaki and Christina and Maxima and Henri dancing. Only if it is't too much trouble:flowers:

Ach ja... her fantastic diamonds made all o.k.

She was better bejwelled than the future Queens of Belgium, Norway, Denmark, etc.

The glitz was blinding enough to overshine the unlucky choice.

I wonder: do the husbands (who pay the bills) never say anything in protest?

Back
Top Bottom