The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 02-22-2020, 04:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The white colour of the new chairs is not very much to my personal liking.
The chairs are grey.

"The new table chair has a special emphasis on robustness, so the chair can last longer than its predecessor. At the same time, the chairs are made in a gray color and with a shape that makes it easier to store the chairs at the castle."

http://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/hm-d...-ny-taffelstol
Old 02-22-2020, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
The chairs are grey.

"The new table chair has a special emphasis on robustness, so the chair can last longer than its predecessor. At the same time, the chairs are made in a gray color and with a shape that makes it easier to store the chairs at the castle."

H.M. Dronningen og H.K.H. Kronprinsen fik præsenteret ny taffelstol | Kongehuset
Interesting. It must be the lighting then: I see white chairs, with a golden crown in the backrest and red upholstery on the seat. But okay, it is "grey" so it seems.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
The chairs are grey.

http://kongehuset.dk/foto-video/hm-d...-ny-taffelstol
Quote:
Interesting. It must be the lighting then: I see white chairs, with a golden crown in the backrest and red upholstery on the seat. But okay, it is "grey" so it seems.
Looks like the kind of grey colour that's quite common in Scandinavian interior decorating and hark backs to the Scandinavian adaption of the styles of the 18th century. The design of the chairs are likewise a modern twist of that style mixed with Danish 20th century design. These chairs would look familiar to every Scandinavian who sees them.
8/10 from Malmö.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love good practical useful gifts. These are a lovely idea.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oh it is grey.

Dove-grey is the name of the hue according to my wife.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

I applaud anything which maintains or even improves the dignity and the functioning of the monarchy. Having your guests seated on proper and esthetically pleasing seats which enhance the decorum of the venue as well the event is always thumbs up from me. Well done, Denmark.

From Dutch media I understood Queen Margrethe will keep the red velvet chairs in use for the main table: picture.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I applaud anything which maintains or even improves the dignity and the functioning of the monarchy. Having your guests seated on proper and esthetically pleasing seats which enhance the decorum of the venue as well the event is always thumbs up from me. Well done, Denmark.

From Dutch media I understood Queen Margrethe will keep the red velvet chairs in use for the main table: picture.
She will indeed. The old "gold-chairs" will still be in use. Perhaps at the main-table?
But the new chairs will be a supplement. However I imagine that quite a few of the old "gold-chairs" have been discarded over the years. And mixing gold-chairs and these new ones isn't aesthetically pleasing IMO.
Or alternatively, the old gold-chairs will now be reserved for use only at Amalienborg, while the new ones will only be used for the really big events at Christiansborg.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
She will indeed. The old "gold-chairs" will still be in use. Perhaps at the main-table?
But the new chairs will be a supplement. However I imagine that quite a few of the old "gold-chairs" have been discarded over the years. And mixing gold-chairs and these new ones isn't aesthetically pleasing IMO.
Or alternatively, the old gold-chairs will now be reserved for use only at Amalienborg, while the new ones will only be used for the really big events at Christiansborg.
During State Banquets one can see the "gold chairs" (which maybe need gilding with fresh new shiny gold) at the main table and usually "hotel rent-a-chair"-type of chairs for the lesser gods.

Only red chairs at the main table: picture

Red chairs at all tables: picture

I guess it are these "hotel" chairs which will be replaced by the new ones.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Red chairs at all tables: picture
Wonderful rococo room. Where is that?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
From the link I previously posted:

"Most of the golden chairs from Christiansborg Palace will be distributed between Fredensborg Palace and Amalienborg."

History of the golden chairs and photos, in Danish:

Guldstolenes historie | Kongehuset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Wonderful rococo room. Where is that?
Christian VII Palace, Amalienborg.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I guess it will again only be the Monarch + Spouse and Heir + Spouse (and/or abdicated monarch + spouse) from the European Royal Families who is invited (except for the immediate family of QMII to wich the greek royal family ofcourse belongs) so i don’t expect the British Royal Family unless Charles and Camilla gives us a surprise and (finally) accepts the invitation.

Then the Wessex’es and the Gloucester’s will not be invited unless QMII invited Brigitte personally when they met in London 2 months ago...

I guess there will be 2 white tie occassions (on 14 and 15) and 1 black tie occassion (16) ?

I really hope Crown Princess Mette-Marit is well enough to attend. I don’t expect Charlene, and Albert seems to not be invited to the round birthday’s in Denmark so i don’t think we should expect him either.
I guess it will be more like five years ago. The Christiansborg Banquet with only Heads of State and Consorts/First Ladies. For the private dinner at Fredensborg Palace heirs and and other princes and princesses will attend.

But I hope I'm wrong and at least Heirs attend the 15th as well.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
I guess it will be more like five years ago. The Christiansborg Banquet with only Heads of State and Consorts/First Ladies. For the private dinner at Fredensborg Palace heirs and and other princes and princesses will attend.

But I hope I'm wrong and at least Heirs attend the 15th as well.
As the program seems to be a lot like it was during the 70:th Birthday, with a gala performance at the Royal Theatre on the 14:th, i think we will at least see Victoria and Daniel, and Haakon and Mette-Marit (if she is well enough) present too. Prince Carl Philip attended 10 years ago too.

Hopefully the Icelandic volcano’s will be sleeping this time
Old 02-23-2020, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
As the program seems to be a lot like it was during the 70:th Birthday, with a gala performance at the Royal Theatre on the 14:th, i think we will at least see Victoria and Daniel, and Haakon and Mette-Marit (if she is well enough) present too. Prince Carl Philip attended 10 years ago too.

Hopefully the Icelandic volcano’s will be sleeping this time

But 10 years ago the Dioner at Chirstiansborg was only Family and danish guests as it was erarlier and the Gala Perfomance in the Royal theatre took place the evening before the actual birthday.

I have my doubts that many of the Royal Guests this year will attend all 3 Events.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But 10 years ago the Dioner at Chirstiansborg was only Family and danish guests as it was erarlier and the Gala Perfomance in the Royal theatre took place the evening before the actual birthday.

I have my doubts that many of the Royal Guests this year will attend all 3 Events.
From what I understood from the Benelux:

Wednesday 15 April - diner at Chirstiansborg Palace
Belgium: King Philippe and Queen Mathilde
Netherlands: King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima
Luxembourg: ?

Thursday 16 April - diner at Fredensborg Palace
Belgium: none*
The Netherlands: King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix
Luxembourg: ?

* reason for the non-attendance on day two: King Philippe himself will become 60 at April 15th. After the first evening at Chirstiansborg, the Belgians will return to Brussels to celebrate the King's birthday with family, and one day of delay.

Why Princess Beatrix will only attend the second diner at Fredensborg? Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).
Old 02-23-2020, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).

In 2010 lots of friends where in attendance at the Royal Theatre Perfomance. Therfore i wonder why they do not have this one again oin the evening before the actual birthday as there is much miore space so more guests ca be invtied then to the Gala Dinner.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

"In the Northern Irish city of Banbridge, the Thomas Ferguson Irish Linen factory is weaving new linen cloths for Her Majesty the Queen.

The new tablecloths must be placed on the tables for the first time on the occasion of the Queen's 80th birthday until April, and then the tablecloths must be used both in everyday life and at large events. The Queen's monogram is part of the pattern, and the tablecloths are expected to last a generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B853GeOgAkf/
Old 02-23-2020, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why Princess Beatrix will only attend the second diner at Fredensborg? Probably because the first evening has another type of guest list? ("Guests of State" on evening 1 and "Family and Friends" on evening 2?).
The first dinner is for the official Denmark and official representatives of other countries, and the second is called a "private dinner".
So, Princess Beatrix will attend the birthday as a private and probably personally invited guest of the Queen, but not as an official representative of the Netherlands.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
The first dinner is for the official Denmark and official representatives of other countries, and the second is called a "private dinner".
So, Princess Beatrix will attend as a private and probably personally invited guest of the Queen, but not as an official representative of the Netherlands.
Yes, that will be the reason. Princess Beatrix officially is a "private person" indeed (but usually treated with all égards she is used to).
Old 02-23-2020, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"In the Northern Irish city of Banbridge, the Thomas Ferguson Irish Linen factory is weaving new linen cloths for Her Majesty the Queen.

The new tablecloths must be placed on the tables for the first time on the occasion of the Queen's 80th birthday until April, and then the tablecloths must be used both in everyday life and at large events. The Queen's monogram is part of the pattern, and the tablecloths are expected to last a generation."

https://www.instagram.com/p/B853GeOgAkf/
Very elegant!
Old 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder if the Corona situation will influence the birthday celebrations.

Judging from how it has progressed in China and South Korea, we may expect a dramatic rise in Corona cases all over Europe throughout March and no doubt at least well into April, until the weather turns hot, if it does turn hot. So far we've had the warmest winter in recorded met-history and the second wettest here in DK.
Because hot weather should help decrease the number of Corona cases. (I understand the virus has problems in temperatures over 26 degrees C.)

So, I don't think we should be surprised if a number of royals cancel their attendance to QMII's B-day celebrations. For a number of reasons:
A) The situation in their countries may be so severe that it will be seen as inappropriate to attend full scale gala events, also abroad.
B) A number of the royals attending are elderly and as such particularly vulnerable should they contract Corona. QMII herself, her sisters, King Konstantin, the Norwegian Regent Couple - to mention some.
C) It may not be seen as advisable to have a number of heads of states gathered in one place, where potentially many of them could catch the bug at the same time.
D) The situation may be serious enough here in DK by mid-April that the health authorities will caution against large gatherings, also in front of Amalienborg and along procession routes.
And it is after all not only the royals who are at risk, but also the staff, security and police officers and all the multitude of others who work behind the scenes.
E) Quite a few of the royals may be quarantined themselves, because they as a part of their job meet a lot of people and as such are exposed.