HH Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid, Ruler of Dubai (1943 - 4 Jan 2006)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the funeral .. my god, just seeing his son's(sheikh Saeed bin maktoum) sad eyes is heart breaking....

he had previous heart problems but he didn't seek medical attention and he had a massive heart attack around 1am at his suite in the Versace Palazzo, his body was taken to be inbalmed b4 leaving back to Dubai on his private plane.

May he rest in Peace and may his brother follow in this his older brother footsteps and be a great ruler as well.

My condolences to people of Dubai and all UAE.

Has the burial taken place already. I couldn't find the pictures of the funeral so far. Who did attend the funeral? I heard King Abdullah of Jordan and PM of Pakistan were there. Who else? What about King Abdullah of Saudi, Sultan of Oman and otheir Emirs of the neighbouring countries?

:(:( :( :( :(

Attachments

• 56526311.jpg
    56526311.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 576
  • 56526316.jpg
    56526316.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 563
  • 56526337.jpg
    56526337.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 390
Casket of Late Sheikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE, and Ruler of Dubai being braught out of the Zabeel Mosque after the Janaza prayer, and layed dawn to rest at the Royal Grave Yard in Dubai, Thursday, Jan.5, 2006

Foreign dignitaries: King Abdalá II of Jordan; Crown Prince of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Jalifa; Prince of Morroco, Moulay Rachid;...

from polfoto and terra

Attachments

• AP535071_guest.jpg
    AP535071_guest.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 447
  • AP535096_guest.jpg
    AP535096_guest.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 493
  • 72074b80f7506g.jpg
    72074b80f7506g.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 812
It is his body being carried - no casket used.

Are there photos of Queen Rania, Prince Ali & Princess Rym ?

Did Prince Hashem bin Hussein attended the funeral or were there other Jordanian royals besides KIng Abdullah present in the burial?

Polfoto 05-01-2006 Arab leaders, dignitaries and thousands of citizens attended the grave side for the funeral of the late Emir of Dubai Sheik Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Thursday Jan.5, 2006, in Dubai, UAE. Amongst the dignitaries seen here are, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan, centre right wearing tie, King Abdallah of Jordan, centre left with tie and red head-scarf, brother of the late emir Sheik Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, wearing black robes, at right, and the new Emir of Dubai, Sheik Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, 2nd left from man in black robes.

Attachments

• AP535333_guest.jpg
    AP535333_guest.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 485
  • AP535334_guest.jpg
    AP535334_guest.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 492
Mahoogie said:
Did Prince Hashem bin Hussein attended the funeral or were there other Jordanian royals besides KIng Abdullah present in the burial?

according to petra.gov

King Abdullah, Queen Rania, Prince Ali, Princess Rym all flew to Dubai.

ps. are there pictures of Princess Haya so far?

A Man of Simplicity

05_opinion_maktoum2_4.jpg

By Najla Al Rostamani, Associate Editor

When it comes to Shaikh Maktoum, one fact that many would attribute to him is his character and personality, more so than historical dates and events, even though they hold great significance.
History is always carved by individuals of calibre. It is such individuals who play a role in shaping and defining actions that leave an imprint. One such individual is the late Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. He will be remembered not only as a man of kindness and generosity but also as a witness to crucial junctures in the history of the UAE in general and Dubai in particular
It is impossible to pay tribute to Shaikh Maktoum without mentioning that his years as a Ruler were intertwined with the history of the formation of the United Arab Emirates. In fact, throughout his life, Shaikh Maktoum was a witness and a key player in the development of Dubai and the UAE federation.
The first exposure to one of the elements to leadership was in 1958 when he delivered a public speech at the ceremony marking the accession of his father, the late Shaikh Rashid Bin Saeed Al Maktoum. Shaikh Maktoum was only 15 years old then and the occasion must have been a memorable event for him as it marked the beginning of forging the future of the emirate under the rule of the late Shaikh Rashid. In the 1960s, Shaikh Maktoum was involved in the meetings that were taking place between the Trucial States, a term used to define the emirates before the formation of the UAE in 1971. He was also present in February 1968 at the historical signing of the agreement between the Rulers of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, the late Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan and Shaikh Rashid. This was indeed a historic moment to be witness to as it was an initiation towards forming the federation.
Became ruler
At the age of 29, Shaikh Maktoum became the UAE's first Prime Minister from 1972 until 1979. Later, in 1983, he became Deputy Prime Minister. In 1990, following the death of his father, Shaikh Maktoum became Ruler of Dubai and Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE.
During his rule, Shaikh Maktoum built on the foundation laid down by his father. He followed in his footsteps by advocating the same principles of development. It is true to say that Dubai today would not have been able to achieve what it has done so far without the guiding ideas of Shaikh Rashid. But is it not a fact that it would not have been possible for Dubai to progress as it has without these ideas being carried forward by Shaikh Maktoum?
Yet Shaikh Maktoum's role was not limited to ensuring Dubai's progress. In fact, his role in his capacity as Vice-President and Prime Minister came as a boon for the UAE. This was seen during two main periods in the history of the UAE. As Ruler of Dubai, Shaikh Maktoum played a pivotal role first during the presidency of the late Shaikh Zayed and second when President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan became the new President. The significance of Shaikh Maktoum's role was not limited to the two presidency periods. Instead, the importance of his role was felt especially during the transitional periods.
It is easy to relay historical dates and events. It is true history can be recounted, revisited, reexamined and reinterpreted by the significance of events. But it is people who make history. And it is people who turn events in history into ones that are documented and remembered.
When it comes to Shaikh Maktoum, one fact that many would attribute to him is his character and personality, more so than historical dates and events, even though they hold great significance. Perhaps what will be remembered most about Shaikh Maktoum is his style of ruling with simplicity and governing the people by relating to them with ease and generosity.

source Gulfnews.ae

Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum laid to rest

In a solemn funeral, the United Arab Emirates bade farewell to Shaikh Maktoum Bin Rashid Al Maktoum who has been laid to rest at Umm Hurair cemetery.

05_pg2_maktoum_funeral05_4.jpg

Shaikh Hamdan Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Dubai Deputy Ruler and Minister of Finance and Industry (centre) arrives at his brother's funeral.

05_pg2_maktoum_funeral01_4.jpg

Hundreds of mourners gather outside Zabeel Mosque to join in the funeral prayers for the late Shaikh Maktoum.

05_pg2_maktoum_funeral02_4.jpg

Shaikh Maktoum's son Shaikh Saaed Bin Maktoum Al Maktoum (centre) leads the procession carrying the body to the burial site.

Source gulfnews.ae

Pink Tulip said:
Actually the Australian media is very interested in it, probably because it happened here. I'm glad they have been giving the situation decent coverage. The news has been on all the major news programs and has also been getting significant coverage in newspapers.

I feel very sad for the people of the UAE especially Dubai.
I have been told there will be a good coverage from the Australian Media, not only because the late Shk. Died there but also due to the Australian/Emirates good relationship, airline and sports events. I can't help to wonder if the European and the American media took as much of interest as the Australian Media.

None from my family attended the funeral whether today or yesterday, my father has a really bad flu, most of the Emaraties are due to the weather change. There will be a day lift tomorrow for attending the mourning ceremony. Ordinary people who attend will not got a chance to meet the Royal family, when arriving, people are guided to different places within the same building.
The DSF was supposed to start on the 4th of Jan, but of course it was cancelled, however, Dubai malls offered huge sales as a part of the DSF. Yesterday, my family went shopping in Sharjah, Dubai roads were crowded and some strictly dedicated to the funeral ceremony. As odd as it is, Sharjah and Ajman was actually crowded, the Eid is four days away, however, it was a shock that people would actually go shopping within just the second day of the death, first day of the national mourning period and missing the funeral. When Shk. Zayed diedl, streets were empty, literary in the first day and on the funeral, those who didn't attend, actually styaed home to watch it.
Shk. Maktoum's death was a shock but I guess people aren't as much as sad as they were when Shk. Zayed died though am not in a position to speak on behalf of all the people. For the southern Emirates (Ajman, UAQ and RAK), things were less tensioned, I don't know if it's because of the distant but the distant didn't stop them from mourning over Shk. Zayed.
I stayed home to watch the funeral, as sad as it is, it was kind of less "emotional" comparing to Shk. Zayed's funeral, it was sort of a practical one, except for Shk. Hamdan bin Rashid who looked devastated. I recall when Shk. Khalifa shed tears over his father, that was moving and emotional.
It wasn't proper to start a comparison between the two funerals but I didn't expect what I saw in the funeral, I expected a real sadness and grievance too in the area but there isn't much.
Though the western media calls the Sheikhs here Emir, they aren't called so here, Emir--an Arabic word for Prince--isn't a title for the Royal family of UAE.

Last edited:
burrying his body from albayan

Attachments

• mr6.jpg
    mr6.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,142
praying at the mosque his body laid front of them (albayan):

Attachments

• mr5.jpg
    mr5.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 982
At Sh.Mohammed Palace in Zabeel...
The family house of sheikh Mohammed and sheikha Hind

Attachments

• mr2.jpg
    mr2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
Pictures from Amiri Diwan

Attachments

• m.jpg
    m.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 349
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 3,941
  • mmm.jpg
    mmm.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 467
  • mmmm.jpg
    mmmm.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 422
  • mmmmm.jpg
    mmmmm.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 497
People of the UAE were Shocked more than sad....sheikh Maktoum went to AUstraila for holidays and he died there people couldnt beleive it. What we heared that after a few days they started to in-take the shock....
If you have seen the people crying in the Dubai Financial Market you would be amazed...men...arabs...indians..expats all cried....
the roads of dubai were emty...whole dubai seemed sad...
what you have seen on TV family members were shocked more than sad...
and the media didnt try to play with peoples feeling and make them feel more sad the dealt with it in a differnet way from when sh. Zayed died..
Whole UAE were sad when sh.Zayed died.... but people were say because he left but they were not shocked because everyone knew it would be announced anytime... and the media in abudhabi presented the death of sh.Zayed in a very emotional way....
and even when a year passed they started putting emotional programs about sh.Zayed .... they like it that way
as for sadness beleive me...when sh.Maktoum died it was like slap on the face shocking and painful :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheikh Zayed is in a different league than Sheikh Maktoum. Glorifying the media as the perpetrator of intensifying the people's sadness over the death of Sheikh Zayed is ill-informing. People were more aware of the loss of Sheikh Zayed, more touched by it. Sheikh Maktoum was a ruler, Sheikh Zayed was a president and above that the founder and father of the nation. To understand the loss of Sheikh Zayed, maybe you should see the different reactions from the Maktoum family, Sheikh Mohammed in particular over the death of his brother and that of Sheikh Zayed.

Blaming the media for making it harder with coming to terms with Sheikh Zayeds death is dumb founded, the media allowed for the celebration of great man who accomplished the extraordinary. People still cry till this day over Sheikh Zayed and he is remembered in every aspect of the UAE. It is called love and loyalty to a man that will not appear in our lifetime again; to have Sheikh Zayed compared to Sheikh Maktoum is wrong, to have compared Sheikh Rashid to Sheikh Zayed would have been a better choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sh. Maktoum's funeral

As an outsider and Expat living here in UAE, I was saddened by the death of this man. He evidently was very well loved by all, and it was a sorrowful event. His photos showed him to be a caring and kind-looking man. I watched the funeral on TV and was amazed at the simplicity of it. It was explained to me that Muslims enter heaven as they enter Life..... with nothing. What a beautiful tribute. He will certainly be remembered for all the good things he did while here on earth.

No picture or news mentioned that if his younger brother Sheikh Ahmed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum was present at his brother funeral ?

No picture or news mentioned that if his younger brother Sheikh Ahmed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum was present at his brother funeral ?

He was there, and he stayed by the grave after everyone else left for quite a long time.. We all still miss him.

dazzling i wanna ask one question
the previous sheikh, maktoum , who died in jan 2006..was he married?living in dubai itself i never saw him much on tv compare to shk mohammad.and is his wife alive if he was married?

dazzling i wanna ask one question
the previous sheikh, maktoum , who died in jan 2006..was he married?living in dubai itself i never saw him much on tv compare to shk mohammad.and is his wife alive if he was married?

Yes, Sheikh Maktoum was married to his cousin and had 5 children.
He was married to a Moroccon and had 3 sons (who are sometimes seen with Shiekh Mohammed bin Rashed at events)
Before he passed away, he was seen with a younger Moroccon lady at horse events in the UK who would be his wife.

Back
Top Bottom