Your thoughts about (Dutch) Abdications

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not Dutch but I feel that there's little point in Queen Beatrix stepping down when she seems to do such a brilliant job at being a very modern monarch who's truly popular and an expert at what she does. I'm sure Prince Willem-Alexander will be a good King but everyone has their time and I don't think now is his.

I have a question: the abdication is a tradition of the Dutch royal family? If Beatrix won't want to abdicate, she can be the queen till she die or she has to give the throne to WA?
She don't has to abdicate if she don't want it.

Gossip magazine Prive had am simular story, according to them there is a ´palace wisdom´ that says ´in het jaar van de acht, een wisseling van de wacht´ (a year with an 8, a change of guards) (enthronements in 1890/1898, 1948, 1980...2008?) They base their date of September 6th on the sheduele of exhibitions in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, as it is unclear what exhibition will be around at that date.

quote]
I've been reading this thread with great interest. But I do not understand what all the fuzz is about. Everybody keeps mentioning that the Nieuwe Kerk has no exhibitions around September 2008. But according to their website there is an exhibition scheduled starting 26 July till 26 October 2008. It takes a long time to prepare exhibitions like this, so personally I do not believe Queen Beatrix will step down anytime soon. Certainly not on 6 September.

Gossip magazine Prive had am simular story, according to them there is a ´palace wisdom´ that says ´in het jaar van de acht, een wisseling van de wacht´ (a year with an 8, a change of guards) (enthronements in 1890/1898, 1948, 1980...2008?) They base their date of September 6th on the sheduele of exhibitions in the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, as it is unclear what exhibition will be around at that date.

quote]
I've been reading this thread with great interest. But I do not understand what all the fuzz is about. Everybody keeps mentioning that the Nieuwe Kerk has no exhibitions around September 2008. But according to their website there is an exhibition scheduled starting 26 July till 26 October 2008. It takes a long time to prepare exhibitions like this, so personally I do not believe Queen Beatrix will step down anytime soon. Certainly not on 6 September.

I agree Volker,it's all guessing.Besides,the Palace will not be ready till at least next year as it is still undergoing renovation.

All these rags and the likes have to fill their pages too....:rolleyes:

silly rags

Clearly the rags are just as clueless as everyone else. But hey, they're just going to be yelling thise every month for the next few years just so that at SOME point, they can say "told ya so" (which is nonsense of course cuz they're wrong 95% of the times).

My guess is it won't be next year. Too obvious and I really think she's going to chose a moment when nobody expects it. I don't think it's going to be some historic date etc.

My best guess is 2013 or 2015. It would be a bicenteniary of the restoration of power of the Orange-Nassau's and the investiture of the first King of the Netherlands, Willem (Frederik) I, respectivelyand leaves WA and Maxima some time to raise their daughters without the additional burden of Kingship. But as already mentioned. Time will tell. If the Queen falls ill or lacks the strength to go on, she will abdicate sooner. I doubt if she will stay on later than 2013/2015. She will be 75/77 by that time.

I have a question: Does anyone recall the timing of Juliana's abdication - how quickly became Beatrix Queen after Juliana's televised speech to the public? Days? Weeks? Months? Just interested in the process how much time it would take to complete the transition from announcement to coronation. Thx!

I have a question: Does anyone recall the timing of Juliana's abdication - how quickly became Beatrix Queen after Juliana's televised speech to the public? Days? Weeks? Months? Just interested in the process how much time it would take to complete the transition from announcement to coronation. Thx!

Three months,from the announcement on january 31st 1980,birthday of the then Princess Beatrix,to HM Queen Juliana's birthday on april 30th 1980,that saw the Enthronement of Queen Beatrix.(We don't have Coronations here).

But,forget it.HM will not abdicate in any forseeable future,yet..:)

Three months,from the announcement on january 31st 1980,birthday of the then Princess Beatrix,to HM Queen Juliana's birthday on april 30th 1980,that saw the Enthronement of Queen Beatrix.(We don't have Coronations here).

But,forget it.HM will not abdicate in any forseeable future,yet..:)

Thanks Lucien :flowers: Yes I hope not but interesting to see how quickly it is possible to do in our bureaucratic world!

Well, I think that HM won't abdiscate before the royal palace on Dam square is ready and by the looks of it (I pass it every day) that will take a while!

The gossip mags are speculating wildly of course, but in the end the PoO said it all: only one person knows (and that is HM).

They're not even finished with the interior,and they still have to clean the outside up in its old splendour.

Besides that,who says HM wishes to abdicate,at all....

For the time being she's perfectly happy doing what she does,our Beatrix Regina.

15 Years?? Then she will be 85 years old. Dutch monarchs usually abdicate long before that.

15 Years?? Then she will be 85 years old. Dutch monarchs usually abdicate long before that.

Usually?

Just because the two previous ones did so doesn't make it a tradition.
HM might just as well remain HM untill her last breath.

As Alexander said,there´s only one who knows,and that is HM herself.
Anything else is pure speculation.

Last edited:
She won't be Queen untill her last breath, no way. I don't think she will abdicate tomorrow, but hey, why bother fixing up Drake(n)steyn if she is to stay in Den Haag?

Usually?

Just because the two previous ones did so doesn't make it a tradition.
HM might just as well remain HM untill her last breath.

As Alexander said,there´s only one who knows,and that is HM herself.
Anything else is pure speculation.

Well, those were the only monarchs in that are still in the public memory right now. I think that it is fair to assume HM will abdicate at one point, everybody (give or take a few royalty posters) assumes she will and considering HM is a very pragmatic person she would hardly want her son to wait, wait and wait, which can be teribly frustrating. For now she probably wants him to have some more easy years with his young family but in a few years she might decide it is his turn and abdicate. As Queen Juliana put it: "Everyone who is getting old is sooner or later confronted with the sober fact that powers diminish and that one cannot carry out one's task as one used to. And then there comes a moment when it's no longer justified to continue carrying out duties. I feel that the moment has come to resign as your Queen."

Last edited:
Well, those were the only monarchs in that are still in the public memory right now. I think that it is fair to assume HM will abdicate at one point, everybody (give or take a few royalty posters) assumes she will and considering HM is a very pragmatic person she would hardly want her son to wait, wait and wait, which can be teribly frustrating. For now she probably wants him to have some more easy years with his young family but in a few years she might decide it is his turn and abdicate. As Queen Juliana put it: "Everyone who is getting old is sooner or later confronted with the sober fact that powers diminish and that one cannot carry out one's task as one used to. And then there comes a moment when it's no longer justified to continue carrying out duties. I feel that the moment has come to resign as your Queen."

But if she abdicates already 3 monarchs in a row have abdicated. This will it make more difficult for another King/Queen who doesn't want to abdicate to remain on the throne until his/her death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is already hard not to abdicate, the general view among the public, opinion leaders, politicians etc. is that we have a tradition of abdication and that HM will abdicate. Several polls each year say that she should abdicate (within x years) btw, usually the option that HM should not abdicate is not included in polls as it is considered out of the question by those who make the poll (just to show how commonly accepted the idea of abdication is). Note that if journalists etc. ask peopel why they want the queen to abdicate most people say 'she deserves some rest, she worked long enough' etc. ; not that she is doing a bad job or anything, her ratings never have been higher I think.

I think it is already hard not to abdicate, the general view among the public, opinion leaders, politicians etc. is that we have a tradition of abdication and that HM will abdicate. Several polls each year say that she should abdicate (within x years) btw, usually the option that HM should not abdicate is not included in polls as it is considered out of the question by those who make the poll (just to show how commonly accepted the idea of abdication is). Note that if journalists etc. ask peopel why they want the queen to abdicate most people say 'she deserves some rest, she worked long enough' etc. ; not that she is doing a bad job or anything, her ratings never have been higher I think.

But nobody know is Beatrix also wants to abdicate. Has she ever stated that she will abdicate. As far ia i can recall not. But also not that she will not abdicate. She can also have more rest if she gives more of her duties to WA and Máxima but remains Queen and only does the important duties herself.

But if she abdicates already 3 monarchs in a row have abdicated. This will it make more difficult for another King/Queen who doesn't want to abdicate to remain on the throne until his/her death.

Why would it be difficult for the next one to abdicate? Lots of past Kings/Queens have not abdicated.

Well, the Dutch would scream bloody murder if Queen Beatrix stayed on till she's 90. And not because they don't like her, but because a lot of them find that she deserves a quiet old day. Just like her mother and grand mother did.

As far as I'm considered I hope she stays on a little longer, though.

Why would it be difficult for the next one to abdicate? Lots of past Kings/Queens have not abdicated.
Because already now after 2 moanrchs in a row have abdicated there is an expection that she will abdicate at some point.

But nobody know is Beatrix also wants to abdicate. Has she ever stated that she will abdicate. As far ia i can recall not. But also not that she will not abdicate. She can also have more rest if she gives more of her duties to WA and Máxima but remains Queen and only does the important duties herself.

I think she was once asked about this in the most recent interview by the NOS on the occassion of her 25th jubilee (or a previous interview). She said she wanted to give her son and daughter-in-law some more time to enjoy their family, like she was able to do herself. She did not say she would never abdicate. When the crownprince was asked about his mothers abdication plans he said only his mother knew. That were the only occassions members of the RF comented on it thus far.
Technically it is possible that she will never abdicate of course.

It has been at least two privious monarch that abdicated from the throne in the favour of their Children.

Queen Wilhelmina Abdicated in 1948 after reigning for 58 years, and Queen Juliana Abdicated in 1980 after reigning for 32 years.

Do you think Queen Beatrix will also abdicated in the favour of The Prince of Oranje? She's now 68 and already reigning for 26 years.

No, she will not. As she stated she will not abdicate in the near future, to allow Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and his wife Princess Máxima to spend time with their family.

Im not really a fan of it.I wonder what the Dutch thought of it.

I admit I find this model good, because the heir won´t be over 60 when he/she reaches the throne. The heir has then his family and is prepared for the future role. And I like the idea of more then one King or Queen in a country.

Im not really a fan of it.I wonder what the Dutch thought of it.

Wise.Old people should take a rest at any one time when aging and when they feel they are not entirely up to the job and that a younger generation should step in with a fresh input and new elan.But as one isn't the other one can not automatically confer that to all and everyone,it is and will remain up to them.Always.We were always very sorry indeed to see them go and make place,but there has always been a wide understanding,and there still is today.Sometimes it is discussed as if Dutch Monarchs only Abdicate,never Reign till their nuts end and/or death.Not true,Only Queen Wilhelmina Abdicated as she was impressed by the example of Emperor Charles V,who abdicated when he found his strenght was lingering the wrong way and was tired in old age.She thought that to be wise,and as it was after WWII and she indeed was tired,she choose the Abdication.

( Queen Wilhelmina was tired as to the point she totally collapsed several times unable to do anything and her daughter Princess Juliana was appointed Regent for her mother twice after the war)

For Queen Juliana it was the same almost,she felt she wasn't as quick and in the right condition to fullfill her tasks,and her daughter was ready to take over,very much so,so that decision was taken in fall 1979 (privately within the family;(read HM and then Crown Princess Beatrix)but announced officially on the Crown Princes's birthday,january 31st 1980.I remember everyone was in awe and dumbstruck as we had not seen this coming.But I also remember we all thought it a wise decision,everyone.We hated to see her go as Queen as she was immensely loved and respected,but there was a broad understanding,yes.

I will not speculate on HM Queen Beatrix,if alone as that looks very ungratefull in respect to the work she does and has done for the past 31 years,and indeed an insult to HM herself.She decides if,and she decides when.She's not into hypes nor to be influenced in that matter.

They can all do what they like in other Monarchies,I do not particularly care,it's their Monarchs business and only His/Hers,no-one elses even tho these days everybody thinks they have a say in it.They don't.Not then,not now.Each his own,but we are very much pleased and content with the way matters are handled here regardless which way HM will decide eventually.We know full well HM is committed to her task,and she fullfills that excellent and with immense knowledge on dossiers and people.Really,that is an extraordinairy asset of HM,her fabulous mind,not just a saying because she is who she is.No,she has that,she is a formidable Lady,very well capable to make her own decisions and mastermind her own role,now and in the future.
Regardless what Aunt Lillibeth decides or thinks,no consequence,the Queen is ours and will do things her way in any respect,and have ours.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom