Prinsjesdag 2003-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speech from the Throne 2005 part 2

Our country has a diverse population with equally diverse views. The right of every person and every organisation to its own identity is fundamental to our legal order. That right is based on the conviction that we must have respect for others, and it leaves no place for discrimination, extremism or violence.

Cooperation, understanding and knowledge of our history and culture are forces that bind our society together. We need to acknowledge that with rights come obligations. In order to foster a tolerant society, the Government will continue to give its full attention to social cohesion. It will continue to pursue its civic integration policy and combat radicalisation.

Culture, art and sport enrich our lives and strengthen social bonds. The Government supports the preservation of our national heritage and will make additional funds available to promote participation in sports.

The Government will also present additional proposals to you for strengthening the relationship between voters and elected representatives.

Members of the States General,

In her farewell address to the entire Dutch nation twenty-five years ago, in 1980, my mother said:

“It is my privilege to serve the public good; to offer a haven amid the turbulence of social currents; and to help strive towards a society where people respect what is important to others, towards harmony in diversity.”

These words are just as relevant today and will remain so in the years ahead.

As members of parliament, you represent our country’s vast and rich diversity. The Government is counting on a productive dialogue with you. You have a responsible and difficult task. You may draw succour from the knowledge that many are wishing you wisdom and join me in praying for strength and God's blessing upon you.

Tuesday, 20 September 2005

how could a finger tip be other than little? in my opinion, that goes without saying.
susan alicia said:
to be completely accurate it says

pieter, how is it with the (little) tip? :rolleyes:

top= tip and topje is little tip

Last edited by a moderator:
i think maxima lost a lot of weight since her last appearence, dont you think so? her face looks a lot more thiner http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=198940

although the jacket wasn't surprising, the skirt looked gorgeous with those ruffles and the train (but still, the red gown she used in one of the first years is still my favourite). her majesty did also look wonderful with the cape...

carlota said:
i think maxima lost a lot of weight since her last appearence, dont you think so? her face looks a lot more thiner http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=198940

although the jacket wasn't surprising, the skirt looked gorgeous with those ruffles and the train (but still, the red gown she used in one of the first years is still my favourite). her majesty did also look wonderful with the cape...

I agree. Maxima is definitely quickly going back to her pre-pregnancy weight. the skirt moved so beautifully. i love the way it looked when the wind caught it.

I'm with you 100% on the red outfit. i think it may be her best ever.

I know a lot of people don't agree but I loved her pink outfit for her second prinsjesdag as well. it wasnt typical maxima style, but back when I was 7 that was exactly what I imagined a fairy tale princess would look like.

so beautiful....

More pictures from DPA.. I love the dress from Beatrix:)

Attachments

• 082501_4.jff.jpeg
    082501_4.jff.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 068801_4.jff.jpeg
    068801_4.jff.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 053701_5.jff.jpeg
    053701_5.jff.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 306
Thanks to all who posted these lovely pictures. :)

I loved Maxima's outfit and Margriet looked also great. I'm not quite sure about Laurentien, liked the colors overall and the hat too, but don't know what to think about the 'cardigan-like' thing on top of it all. And those long sleeves! I definately don't like long sleeves. Beatrix looked well too, though I didn't like the hat that much.

And poor Pieter with his finger! Hope he's doing all right!

i really like CP Maxima's outfits because that is oranges of countries and people love that Maxima wores it!

and i think Princess Laurenterin is still Princess since her marriages to Constantijn but she have right by Princess but she not going become Queen no! but Maxima would become Queen because she have rights as Princess of the Netherlands since her marriages to Prince Willem-Alexander

Sara Boyce

thanks

thank you for all photos
Queen Beatrix, Princess Maxima and Princess Laurentine very beautiful and elegance

Yes, thank you for sharing all of the beautiful photos. You can NEVER have enough photos of royal pomp and circumstance. The gentlemen are very handsome in their formal wear and uniforms. The ladies have created elegant ensembles as well. However they have a more difficult task in creating this look while following the dresscode for this occasion. Long gowns with hats are a surprising combination IMO. Typically you would see a shorter dress with a hat and a tiara with a long gown. Does anyone know why the Dutch follow this unique dresscode?

More pictures from DPA without watermark

Attachments

• 089701_4.jff.jpeg
    089701_4.jff.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 415
  • 090401_4.jff.jpeg
    090401_4.jff.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,929
  • 090601_4.jff.jpeg
    090601_4.jff.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 090501_4.jff.jpeg
    090501_4.jff.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 427
I think the ladies looked very nice. Laurentien's dress was a pleasant surprise. I thought it looked like Queen Beatrix might have raided the Duchess of Cornwall's supply of hats, another big, feathery creation.

Thank you everybody for the pictures of today's Prinsjesdag.

I have read some harsh comments and criticisms of the Queen's attire today (not on this forum but other forums) and I am quite surprised by them. I personally think that this is one of the Queen's best Prinsjesdag outfits to date. The style is rather different for the Queen whom I find often dresses in "paper bag" outfits -- long jackets or dresses that give her a non-shape of a rectangular outfit that hangs from her shoulders straight down. This dress is much more form fitting (without being unflattering) on the Queen's body and is in a wonderful shape and colour and still quite grand for the occasion.

Maxima look great in the orange.

Laurentien's outfit was terrible in my opinon. Particularly the hat which made me think of Marilene's terrible hat that she wore to the Queen's Day festivities earlier this year as well as to the civil wedding of Pieter-Christiaan and Anita. Both hats remind me of flying saucers or TV saucers to attract signals.

Margriet was elegant as always -- though I didn't care for her hat too much.

Yes, thanks everyone for the pictures and the translation of the speech. I liked most of the gowns (except of course for Laurentien's - it's a good thing that she seems to be such a lovely person, otherwise it would be really difficult to deal with her outfits;)). I liked the muted colours that Beatrix, Maxima & Margriet wore and especially loved Maxima's burnt orange gown. And I agree with Alexandria, that this is one of the Queen's nicest Prinsjesdag outfits.

Royal Press Europe also has some pictures up:
http://www.royalpress.nl/20050920.html

Can someone translate what "princejesdag" means?

Emily said:
Can someone translate what "princejesdag" means?

'Prinsjesdag' means the 'Day of the (little) princes'.
As a matter of fact I don't know exactly why it is called this way.
:blush:

linda85 said:
To answer a question earlier about Princess Laurentian- she is according to the Dutch Royal Web site, a princess by courtesy of her marriage to Prince Constantijn. She is NOT a princess in her own right as Princess Maxima is and was created as such upon her own marriage to Willem-Alexander in 2002. I hope that will clear up some confusion. Princess Mabel is a princess as well by courtesy of her marriage to Prince Friso. You can say the same for the 4 daughters-in-law of Princess Margriet as they are all Princesses by virtue of their marriages to their husbands, who happen to be princes.
Have a great day,
Linda 85

I thought Princess Maxima also only became a princess (like the other princesses mentioned) because of her marriage to CP W-A. It's the first time I ever heard that she herself would have been one in her own right as you say there linda85... :)

Was Maxima already a princess before marrying CP W-A?:)

Last edited:
The whole idea of "in her own right" doesn't mean she was royalty independent of her husband before her marriage. It is just a higher designation. She is a princess "in her own right" simply because she is married to W-A and Queen Beatrix was kind enough to designate Maxima for that title of honor.

I believe 'Prinsjesdag' was named so after the birthday of Stadtholder Willem V- Batavus. That was said on television yesterday, although they did not give the connection to the opening of parlament.

I iked the Queens outfit very much, the cape gives it a very royal look and especially in the light the colours look very nice. I also liked the aquamarine brooch & pendants of her earrings as they were from a set given to the then CP Juliana. Appropriate as the Queen referred to her mother during her speech (which I thought remarkable).
I agree with Alexandria, Margriet always dresses elegantly but the hat is not that special, not ugly either. I love the pearl earrings!
Maxima looked nice, the colour of her dress, 2 shades of orange, is original and I like it. I do not care to much for the hat, and especially for the hair coming underneath it. The brooch was nice, worn previously by Laurentien on 02-02-02, I wonder where it comes from though.

And then Laurentien... on television I actually liked the outfit. The lines seemed elegant (she has a very good figure) and the sun could shine through the sleeves and hat, which looked fairytale-like on the balcony. The earrings were well coordinated wit the dress and as far as I can recall last worn by the Queen during her 60th birthdayparty as Dam Palace.

Does anyone know who wrote the Queen's speech or who her official speech writer is?

pics from uk press

Attachments

• Dutch_Princes_Day_3-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_3-UKP-2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2,447
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_8-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_8-UKP-2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 422
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_7-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_7-UKP-2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 404
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_6-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_6-UKP-2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 387
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_5-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_5-UKP-2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 392
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_4-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_4-UKP-2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 3,042
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_2-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_2-UKP-2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 337
  • Dutch_Princes_Day_1-UKP-2.jpg
    Dutch_Princes_Day_1-UKP-2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 14,885
I really liked Maxima's outfit - the lovely floaty skirt with the fairly severely-cut jacket. Flattering hat (and not too big). Great jewellry. I like her hair peaking out like that. I really like the color, but I think it makes her complexion look a little orange - I think I'd like it better if her summer tan had faded.

Laurentien: she has a great figure, but I find her dress choices unflattering. Avant garde is one thing, and good for her wanting to break out of "suitable" choices - but her clothes are just strange and often unflattering. I also dislike her makeup - it looks so heavy and unnatural; also really dislike the lipstick shades she usually picks.

The Queen: Not one of my favorite outfits, but I don't really care. She always seems so comfortable with her clothes, and that confidence is enough for me.

I really dont like Maxima's outfit at all, I think
its the colour that puts me off ........its just so orange , hat ,whole out fit same colour!...............not nice , but do like the floaty skirt!

I tell you...every time I try to Laurentien the benefit of the doubt about her clothes..she wears some crazy outfit!

HELLO
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/09/21/princessmaxima/

DAY of Pomp and splendour for Dutch Royals

maxima-dop1a.jpg

maxima-dop2a.jpg

I dont know what any of them where thinking of when they picked out there clothes for that day!!! the only one that did look ok was the queen.

sm1939 said:
I dont know what any of them where thinking of when they picked out there clothes for that day!!! the only one that did look ok was the queen.

...apart from that unspeakable object on her head.

Thanks for the pictures. I was wondering do the Dutch Royals have fashion advisors on what to wear ? Sorry I find their dressing a bit odd. I like the Queen's dress though minus the hat.

arrr!! yes ............the hat... , least said about that the better

the hat is pretty typical beatrix. its not worse than many other she's worn.
I kinda like it.

Its her outfit...I dont like the way she has so much fabric on her frame and then a bare neck. its kind of incongruous. she should have worn some kind of necklace. that would have made the whole thing more symmetrical.

its often a problem in people's outfits that they try to pull off multiple looks at once. you can only have one look per outfit!

Pictures without watermark AD and Trouw

Attachments

• xmaxima.jpg
    xmaxima.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 353
  • xlaurentien.jpg
    xlaurentien.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 341
  • 21VPbeatrix_5434d.jpg
    21VPbeatrix_5434d.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 368
Status