Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion about Meghan's first official engagement has been moved to the Current Events thread.

Speaking of general random conversations about the engagement, it came up today while I was getting a manicure, and the manicurist said that she hoped Meghan got an air-tight pre-nup. Oh! :ohmy: It hadn't even crossed my mind but I realized she had a point, especially given that Meghan is entering the marriage with considerable personal wealth.

But the manicurist wasn't thinking about money, rather the children. The manicurist assumes there will be a divorce. She feels that no way will Meghan be able to sustain the constraints of the BRF over the long haul (and tbh that has crossed my mind, too). Anyway, her point was that a pre-nup was necessary for custody of the children in event of a divorce.

The upshot of the conversation was that we both figured that Meghan will eventually want to live in Los Angeles, and Harry will have to come along if he wants his family intact. ;) That was the jist.

So saying, I really think Meghan needs to keep dual citizenship. The longer her British citizenship is strung out the better. Give it three to five years, I say. :cool:

Lady Nimue, I always enjoy reading your analysis of possible future events. I suppose this is a dose of reality in a otherwise fairy-tale moment. Who can say ten years down the road? I've worried a bit about Meghan's incredible energy, spirit, and independence eventually being constrained by the BRF, "The Firm". How will this affect her and her relationship with Harry? Time will tell......

Now that the engagement has been announced, should we be setting up a thread to discuss a potential divorce?

Ha! :flowers: Maybe, but I think it will cast a pall on the festivities.

Truly, I was reporting the conversation in the context of the conversation previously about the U.S. population's interest in this pairing. :flowers: It seemed an interesting angle: jaded, cynical, cautionary (for the woman). Not romantic, gushy, tickled. These were (all of them) working women, U.S. citizens but immigrants to the U.S. from a variety of countries (mainly Vietnam, in this instance).

Lady Nimue, I always enjoy reading your analysis of possible future events. I suppose this is a dose of reality in a otherwise fairy-tale moment. Who can say ten years down the road? I've worried a bit about Meghan's incredible energy, spirit, and independence eventually being constrained by the BRF, "The Firm". How will this affect her and her relationship with Harry? Time will tell......

Time will tell....I hope they are genuinely within a love that will endure. :ermm: For their sakes. But I (for one) will always be haunted by the great 'might have been' with Meghan. She could have been elected to Congress, imo. The intelligence and talent she demonstrates (outside of acting), makes me think she could have gone far in any alternative career path she chose for herself. She had already forged a superlative circle of accomplished friends. The possibilities for her outside of acting (if that's what she truly wanted) were considerable.

Like you, I worry that her considerable 'light' may be dampened, if not extinguished in the peculiar of royal life and protocol. The latter likely suits those without imagination. That's not Meghan.

Anyway....we'll see....

Daily Mail has fifty photos from Meghan's friend -

Meghan Markle seen in 50 rare and candid photographs | Daily Mail Online

Wishing them well. Hope the restrictions and limitations of the Royal way of life don't bore Meghan after a few years.

Holy Moly what a God awful stab in the back by a "lifetime friend". Wonder how much this "friend" was paid for those pictures. This has to sting for Meghan, regardless of the fact this friend and she grew distant after Meghan's divorce. :sad:

Since couples with none of the complications of this couple still manage to crash and burn within two to three years I find the doom on Harry and Meghan just smacks of empty lives filled with petty meanness and malicious gossip.

Happiness is promised to nobody, not one single person. We are each responsible for our own lives and Harry is responsible for his, Meghan hers. Since they have chosen to share their lives they will share their joy, but when times get tough it means you have to dig in and do that most old-fashioned of things -WORK AT IT.

It is worth remembering that while nobody is promised happiness, more importantly, no one is promised tomorrow! Happiness is a choice - live, love and share your joy today. Smile and make someone's day a little brighter instead of trawling for pain today.

Since couples with none of the complications of this couple still manage to crash and burn within two to three years I find the doom on Harry and Meghan just smacks of empty lives filled with petty meanness and malicious gossip.

I feel I need to answer because you are taking this too far. :sad: This is not 'doom on Harry and Meghan'. It was about how people see the marriage in the U.S. Not everyone, but a small, sliver of a sampling. These women were concerned about Meghan protecting herself. That's interesting to me.

That's it. No 'empty lives', rather real concern out of personal experience (one woman talked about losing one's children across borders). Nothing pettily mean, either. No one was being mean towards Meghan, rather there was real concern for her (there certainly is on my part). And no malicious gossip (no malign tidbit of information have I passed on, or did we discuss in the salon).

Truly, I think you have taken what I relayed to a far too dark of a place. :sad:

incredible energy, spirit, and independence eventually being constrained

Since it is [universally] agreed that Ms Markle is intelligent, thoughtful and in love 'with her Prince', I have no doubt she has carefully thought through ALL aspects of the new life she has chosen.
Bringing up Children, and throwing herself into the widely varied areas where she can focus her talents and do good [within the 'firm'] will [we pray] be sufficient. That and Harry's love should make for a fulfilled and busy life.

Pre-nup. Interesting question...however from the discussion I've seen (and it's been very little) there won't be one.

LaRae

Perhaps Meghan should follow Princess Michael’s example. When Jilly Cooper published an unflattering article about her after a prolonged friendship, HRH sent Ms Cooper a box with 30 silver coins in it.

Wow.

I'm very optimistic about the longevity of this match.

And I see Meghan blossoming in her new role, much as Sophie did. Sophie is a freakin' powerhouse and is raising two kids while she works full time for the Firm. I love who she is.

I love who Kate is. Loyal, loving, supportive to her husband and by extension, the BRF. She understands her role and its importance, especially as the mother of William's children. She embraces it and lives it. And yet she is still herself, getting silly with children and throwing herself into the athletic and adventurous activities that come her way as a working Duchess.

I actually see Duchess Meghan gaining freedom as a royal. Plucked out of the marketplace of the entertainment industry (shallow and ephemeral) and thrust into the arena of high-profile charitable works for the common good (significant and lasting) is a great way to go. Some things will remain the same in her new career (publicity, emphasis on personal appearance, the fight to maintain a certain level of privacy) but becoming a world traveler with your life partner and in turn being internationally recognized seems like a great trade off IMO.

Yes, I am a bit of a cheerleader for the women of the BRF. :lol:

Wow.

And I see Meghan blossoming in her new role, much as Sophie did. Sophie is a freakin' powerhouse and is raising two kids while she works full time for the Firm. I love who she is.

I love who Kate is. Loyal, loving, supportive to her husband and by extension, the BRF. She understands her role and its importance, especially as the mother of William's children. She embraces it and lives it. And yet she is still herself, getting silly with children and throwing herself into the athletic and adventurous activities that come her way as a working Duchess.

I actually see Duchess Meghan gaining freedom as a royal. Plucked out of the marketplace of the entertainment industry (shallow and ephemeral) and thrust into the arena of high-profile charitable works for the common good (significant and lasting) is a great way to go. Some things will remain the same in her new career (publicity, emphasis on personal appearance, the fight to maintain a certain level of privacy) but becoming a world traveler with your life partner and in turn being internationally recognized seems like a great trade off IMO.

From the mouth of Angels: preach positivity and light, reject the agents, predictions, of doom and gloom :flowers:

LadyGlendower, you did just that and I thank you. :flowers:

Last edited:
Wow.

This forum needs a "like" button. I'm an infrequent poster / long-time lurker, but I had to sign on and comment on how much I love this post. It's refreshingly positive and supportive. I think Meghan is going to soar in her new role, just as Sophie and Kate have. Go ladies!!!

Meghan Markle will do just fine the same way outgoing previously high-flying career women, like Maxima, Mary, Letizia et al have done well and carved out different paths for themselves marrying into foreign royalty.....I’m a stickler for positivity, you see :lol:

Last edited:
Wow.

The boys have outdone their parents already. Edward seems to have taken lessons from his own parents and made a very good pick in Sophie.

If they all continue as they are they will go a long way to removing some of the tarnish from the 80's/90's.

LaRae

Meghan Markle will do just fine the same way outgoing previously high-flying career women, like Maxima, Mary et al have done well and carved out different paths for themselves marrying into foreign royalty.....I’m a stickler for positivity, you see :lol:

The world definitely needs more positive people :)

Wow.

I absolutely agree. I am very impressed with how William, Kate and Harry have drawn together and combined their interests to core issues that affect the young people of today, as well as Harry’s immense contribution to wounded war veterans with the Invictus Games. Diana’s legacy of compassion and bringing difficult to discuss social issues to the front has certainly been instilled in these two gentlemen and has become their calling.

From what we can gather from Harry and Megan’s interview, their passionate beliefs and interests in doing good things and affecting change was a key point between them that moved their relationship forward. They have much in common and have common goals which I feel is absolutely necessary for a solid marriage. I see all four of them being a powerhouse the future.

Wow, some people have a distorted view in their head.

What happens with the young royals today are nothing like Grace Kelly and Rainier. By all accounts, they, particularly Harry’s personality, all live relatively normal lives. Sure there will be state dinners and some dinners with the Queen that will have more protocol, but that’s just not an everyday occurrence in their lives.

I’ve expressed concerns over how an intelligent and independent women like Meghan would give it all up for Harry at the beginning too. And it was nothing against Harry, I like him and thinks he’s doing great things in his role. My concern was why would anyone want to give up her career and completely move her life to a different country with different culture. However, thinking about it more and reading more of the interviews Meghan has done prior to Harry, I have to say, she’s the perfect person for this job and this job is perfect for her. And this man obviously looks perfect for her as well.

I know some have said with how brilliant she is, she could run for Congress. Have you seen our politicians lately? :ermm: Politics is dirty business. It’s very little about change, very much as having leverage in terms of getting anything done. And very little actually gets done. Even then, as soon as something gets done, there is half of the population trying to undo it. Talking about killing her spirit, nothing would do it faster than being in politics.

In this role, she can do a lot of things to makes changes in areas that matter to her. Do you honestly thinking it’s an empty life when Harry sets up something like Invictus Games to better the lives of injured servicemen? Do you really think it’s an empty life for the young royals to come forward and break stigma around mental illness? Do you really think it’s an empty life when Harry set up Sentabale to help children with HIV in Africa while honoring his mother? I could go on, but I think people get my point. The life of a royal duchess can be as empty or as full as Meghan wants. For some reason, I believe she’ll make it a very full one. I chuckled at the causes they’d be supporting when it was first announced which engagements she’d be going to friday. Talk about hitting the ground running. She’s not playing.

I’m really happy with the commentator reactions I’ve heard this week. Most are VERY impressed with Meghan. Even the negative ones are mostly about her being too intelligent for the BRF. I thought Meghan had a smashing week as a royal fiancée. The interview went better than most could’ve imagined and had more substance than most expected. The engagements on Friday are on amazing issues that are close to Harry’s heart and really make differences in terms of bettering our society. She carried herself with grace and poise while maintaining warmth and remaining engaging.

I think Harry has done wonderful things using his platform. And with those two together, the world better watch out.

Perhaps Meghan should follow Princess Michael’s example. When Jilly Cooper published an unflattering article about her after a prolonged friendship, HRH sent Ms Cooper a box with 30 silver coins in it.

Love it , :lol::lol: .

It’ll be a baptism of fire for Meghan. Barely married a month and then balcony appearances, Ascot, Garter Day. But that’s probably a great way for her to get used to the royal calendar and I’m sure she’ll have lots of support.

Meghan is close to 40 years old. She has progressed thru life successfully thus far and is certainly capable of making a reasoned decision regarding her future. And if it all goes badly, she’s definitely the kind of person who will know how to handle that.

I worry about my nieces and other young women who are in marriages which may or may not last. It seems a bit condescending to worry about the prospects of a smart, wealthy, established and mature woman like Meghan.

In fairness, Lady Nimue was only referencing (in part of her post) a fly-by poster who dropped in to state on one of these threads that no one in the US was at all interested in Harry & Meghan. That was quashed pretty quickly. She wasn't the one who brought up that nonsense originally.

However, I do have reservations about relying on people's opinions who might only be getting their information from gossip magazines. If all your knowledge of the BRF family comes from Closer, In Touch or the National Enquirer then you don't really know much. Now maybe the ladies in the nail salon follow the BRF closely, then again maybe they don't.
Some of my friends and family have odd ideas about members of the BRF because they only see headlines or gossipy articles.

I think many of the people here on TRF do more than gossip. There is more reliance on credible information from reliable sources.

Last edited:
The difference between Meghan and Cressida is that Harry loves Meghan enough to want to share the rest of his life with her. He didn’t feel that way about Cressida.

The question of breeding however is incredibly snobbish and I don’t think anybody really thinks that way anymore. And if they do, they’re rightly in the minority. Meghan is a smart, intelligent, kind woman. She isn’t a horse. And I can’t see what patriotism has got to do with anything. Really these attacks on Meghan for things that are well beyond her control seem very spiteful indeed.

It’ll be a baptism of fire for Meghan. Barely married a month and then balcony appearances, Ascot, Garter Day. But that’s probably a great way for her to get used to the royal calendar and I’m sure she’ll have lots of support.

There is lots of film/lots of photos to look at to help her prep for these kinds of events. I think this will be the easy part for her.

Tougher are always the overseas tours where she has to please every country/culture and interact in a certain way. Though, I do this she will ace this as well.

This is very true. I’m sure that Kate, Camilla and Sophie will give advice and help as and when it’s needed. But Meghan seems a natural. Of course, if she gets really stuck she could always ask Aunt Anne for words of wisdom.

Patriotism has nothing to do with it. FYI..I always thought Cressida loved the thought of the title/position. Meghan isn’t a lovesick schoolgirl jumping into the unknown. She is, as previously stated, intelligent, savvy and all those wonderful qualities one hopes for. I’m in the US and big on team Meghan. It’s a delight to see Harry and Meghan so happy.

Will H & M attend church services tomorrow or attend Christmas services?
Doubt we'll see that them at church until wedding. Do we even see pictures of Harry going in and out of church other than the royal family events?

Doubt we'll see that them at church until wedding. Do we even see pictures of Harry going in and out of church other than the royal family events?
Even if Harry attends services sometimes we wouldn't know. There are a lot of churches where he could slip in and out.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events Part 1: November 2017 -

Usually no. However it’s absolutely certain that Meghan will be attending church regularly from now on as it’s a requirement of those seeking baptism. I’m not sure if it’s the same for Anglicans but most baptisms and confirmations take place at Easter for Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox churches. I would assume this is the case with the Church of England too and so regular Sunday worship (public or private) will be integral to that process for Meghan as she looks towards reception at the end of March.

I've never gotten the impression that Anne is around the younger royals except at official events and family holidays.

LaRae

Very true. But if I were going into the firm? Anne would be the first on my list to check in with. Even the hardest republicans admit (albeit through gritted teeth) that she’s good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom