The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well I hope that she is a responsible pet owner and has perhaps had to make the choice of leaving him in the US or Canada.. because of illness or because he's elderly and doesnt' seem up to travel.. but it goes to show, for months people have been posting about how wonderuful she is and how she and Harry are the most perfect couple etc and now that they're engaged, people are jumping on hr over her dogs etc.
To be fair, I don't think the most critical voice on here about this was a regular poster or fan of the couple. And for others, it's more opinion based on a personal experience being reflected onto her than her actual situation as we don't have all the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So instead of assuming the worst about Meghan's (or anyone's) decision let us at least in good faith assume she did the best thing for the dog's sake.


LaRae
Exactly! Everything we've seen about he dogs shows that they are loved and well care for. So I'm not sure why the benefit of the doubt isn't given here. I honestly don't think anyone in the royal family owes us any explanation about how they take care of their dogs until we see evidence of mistreatment, which we haven't seen.
  #82  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: SL, United Kingdom
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well I hope that she is a responsible pet owner and has perhaps had to make the choice of leaving him in the US or Canada.. because of illness or because he's elderly and doesnt' seem up to travel.. but it goes to show, for months people have been posting about how wonderuful she is and how she and Harry are the most perfect couple etc and now that they're engaged, people are jumping on hr over her dogs etc.
Makes no sense for her to leave one pet behind and bring the other over if she was a heartless pet owner as some seem to suggest. If she had no good intentions it would make more sense to leave both behind. Personally I think Bogart is infirm. Long travel might endanger him causing more harm than good. Think about it.
  #83  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 11,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
only some Americans prounce it the way you think. It is very regional.
Exactly. I was born in the Midwest and spent the first ten years of my life there, but the rest of the time I have lived in California.

Me and my entire family have always said AUNTS.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"If your dreams don't scare you, they are not big enough" Sir Sidney Poitier
1927-2022
  #84  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Exactly. I was born in the Midwest and spent the first ten years of my life there, but the rest of the time I have lived in California.

Me and my entire family have always said AUNTS.
Funnily enough someone I know said soemthign about their aunt recently and pronounced it very much AUUNT.. rather than closer to Ant which is what I'd say.. and it sound so "ultra posh".. made me almost giggle...
  #85  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 577
Yea i’m not going into this again, i’ve stated my point of view- based of of years of dealing with abandoned dogs and cats in shelters and as a foster home, as well as moly personal relocation experience and of others which I have helped.
I currently have more urgent matters in my life and have zero patience for people being nasty.


FYI: bogart is far from old, all past signs indicate he is barely 8 yearly old. And I have provided links and information to ways she’s could have still brought him over.
If he was truly sick with anything that would forbid him from relocating to a new country than no self respecting vet would have recommended putting him down. And if he is sick with any of illnesses, rehoming him at his condition is truly plain cruel to any dog.


Again I still think she’s a good person overall, and I am impressed with her resume. But yes I think less of her because of this, it has nothing to do with the engagement.

Now i’m choosing to be done with this topic.
I have zero emotional energy at the moment for the back and forth.
Again i’m not a royal watcher and I don’t think i’ve ever heard of her until recently.
  #86  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Aghios Dimitrios, Greece
Posts: 3
Hello there! I am so thrilled about the news! They make a really cute and happy couple, I am really happy about them. I honestly can't wait until the balcony kiss!
I would like to ask you something. I would love to have an autograph from Meghan because I am a fan of her for a year now, so it would be amazing. I have watched her movies and tv projects and so far she is pretty good! Thing is I haven't sent her anything all this time. I have seen other royal brides before the wedding replying personally to some letters. Well I know that after the wedding there is no chance anyone can get an autograph from her due to the royal protocol but before this and maybe she's still an actress. I want to ask you, is something like that possible in a way now that she is not yet married to the Prince? And where to send the mail? Do you know any other way to reach out to her? Thank you a lot, guys. Wish the best to all of you and of course Prince Harry and Ms Markle.
  #87  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
FYI: bogart is far from old, all past signs indicate he is barely 8 yearly old. And I have provided links and information to ways she’s could have still brought him over.
If he was truly sick with anything that would forbid him from relocating to a new country than no self respecting vet would have recommended putting him down. And if he is sick with any of illnesses, rehoming him at his condition is truly plain cruel to any dog.
We don't know what Bogart's situation is. It could be something that's chronic, and not temporary, but makes it unsuitable for him to travel whereas he could still live a relatively normal life. If that's the case, I don't know if any vet would say it's a good idea. They'll give her chances of him surviving long distance travel and being in a new climate and environment, and leave it up to her to decide it's worth the risk. Keep in mind that there are a number of things we don't know that are possible. It's possible that it's something that could be triggered by stress of long travel. It's also possible that there is a legal reason he can't be imported into UK.

As for rehoming him if he's sick with any illness being cruel. I'm not understanding this. If he can't travel without possible dire consequences, What do you suggest she do other than find a good home for him with people she trusts? She said they are good friends of her, so Bogart has likely met them multiple times before and is at least somewhat familiar with them.

It seems that there is an underlying assumption that Meghan hasn't made every effort to bring Bogart with her somehow. She's had him since he was a baby, and by all things we've seen, he's been cared for and loved. I highly doubt after all these years, she just threw up her hands and said oh well, I guess I'll just leave him.
  #88  
Old 11-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Gaudete's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: South East Coast, United Kingdom
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalliaRoyalistGR View Post
I want to ask you, is something like that possible in a way now that she is not yet married to the Prince? And where to send the mail?
Given that the engagement has now been officially announced, you can send any good wishes to Harry and Meghan via Kensington Palace.
  #89  
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Tamara77's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Appalachian Mountains, United States
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Reem View Post
Makes no sense for her to leave one pet behind and bring the other over if she was a heartless pet owner as some seem to suggest. If she had no good intentions it would make more sense to leave both behind. Personally I think Bogart is infirm. Long travel might endanger him causing more harm than good. Think about it.

Absolutely spot on....and many dogs are born with heart issues that make flying an impossibility-that is just a suggestion in this case. And here we are, with no understanding of the implications or health issues, making judgements on why she has done what she has with Bogart. I would say she has not been selfish in leaving him behind. She has been kind; and in loving him, made the best decision she could....even though it well could have broken her heart to do so.
  #90  
Old 11-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
We don't know what Bogart's situation is. It could be something that's chronic, and not temporary, but makes it unsuitable for him to travel whereas he could still live a relatively normal life. If that's the case, I don't know if any vet would say it's a good idea. They'll give her chances of him surviving long distance travel and being in a new climate and environment, and leave it up to her to decide it's worth the risk. Keep in mind that there are a number of things we don't know that are possible. It's possible that it's something that could be triggered by stress of long travel. It's also possible that there is a legal reason he can't be imported into UK.

As for rehoming him if he's sick with any illness being cruel. I'm not understanding this. If he can't travel without possible dire consequences, What do you suggest she do other than find a good home for him with people she trusts? She said they are good friends of her, so Bogart has likely met them multiple times before and is at least somewhat familiar with them.

.
Or he might be a conservative dog who doesn't seem likely to settle in a new home, far away.. Perhaps he hasn't taken to harry, or has been unhappy at other times if he has had to travel. And of course if he is ill, the best thing to do is to find him a loving home nearby with friends, where he wotn have so much stress. Really, Meg woud have been wiser not to talk about her dogs! I cant remember if the interviewer brought it up...
  #91  
Old 11-29-2017, 03:04 PM
Lisele's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
As for Meghan's pronunciation of aunt. I think she could've easily picked some of Harry's pronunciation, the word came up talking about his aunts, so she could've even unconsciously picked it on that subject. Accents and dialects and pronunciations aren't iron clad, they change for every person all the time depending of their logistics. I'm thinking, that Meghan will pick a lot more British pronouncing of words, as she's in other ways in a learning mode any way, learning about UK, for the citizenship tests, about the firm, patronages, people etc. She'll easily pick up accents and words too.
That's so true. When I moved from Canada to South Carolina, I maintained my Canadian accent and certain words and phrases - still do. In the same token, I learned new words and phrases. After 16 years living here, I find that I use old and new words/phrases in my daily life. One thing I refuse to use/learn - that southern accent/drawl. Sorry to offend those folks that love their southern drawl/accent but it's not me :) This Canadian girl (from St. Catharines, Ontario) will never be a southern lady :) And I have always pronounced it AUNTS (ahwnts).

As to leaving/re-homing dogs, when I moved down here, I had to re-home both of my dogs who I raised from 6 - 8 weeks old (Strider - a lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix and Gandalf - a lab/husky mix) to good friends as I couldn't take them with me - for various reasons. I miss them A LOT and even today I still cry when I see pictures of them. They were 8 and 7 years old when I left them and sadly I've lost touch with my friends (moving/life changes/deploying) so I have to assume my babies have passed on.
  #92  
Old 11-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Or he might be a conservative dog who doesn't seem likely to settle in a new home, far away.. Perhaps he hasn't taken to harry, or has been unhappy at other times if he has had to travel. And of course if he is ill, the best thing to do is to find him a loving home nearby with friends, where he wotn have so much stress. Really, Meg woud have been wiser not to talk about her dogs! I cant remember if the interviewer brought it up...
She did. Meghan was asked directly about her dogs when the corgis came up.

Another possibility is that Bogart can have some type of terrier mix in him. It wouldn't have been allowed in UK. Vets have, at times, identify dogs as mutt and they can be exported to a different country with their owners. However, they might have decided it's best to do a genetic breed test so that it doesn't become an issue in the future given she's not just marrying Joe Schmo. If he is a mix with terrier, and by looks of it, it's possible, by law he shouldn't be.
  #93  
Old 11-29-2017, 03:10 PM
cepe's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,333
Maybe Guy and Bogart need their thread
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #94  
Old 11-29-2017, 04:13 PM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
Regarding her pronunciation of aunt, I'm surprised nobody's yet pointed out that through much of the US, an awful large portion of the African-American community says it [ont]. It's not universal, but probably the pronunciation I hear most from my black friends. My mixed-race college roommate used to tease me (in a friendly way) for saying [ant].
  #95  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington D.C., United States
Posts: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I found it interesting that Meghan pronounced 'aunts' (as in Harry's aunts) in the English way, rather that the American pronunciation 'ants'.
While it's also regional - it's kind of a common "joke" in the US that black people say "aunt" and white people say "ant". I just saw a funny skit about this the other day, mentioned it to my mother, who laughed.

Given that Meghan was raised by her black mother - it may simply be a case of that. I don't know any black people who say "ant", though I'm sure there are some. I think the common assumption is that black people say "aunt".

Also - there were some posts that asked forever ago what Meghan's natural hair texture was. I found an article that shows that she has natural 3B hair (I have the same texture, so that was exciting to see for no reason other than I'm geeking out that someone with my texture hair will be in the BRF - I know it's silly but I never thought that would happen)...

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Megh...tures-44311021

The author wants her to wear it natural to the wedding - I don't see that happening but it would be so nice one day soon to see her natural hair. Not sure if Meghan blows it straight or has a relaxer though. If the latter, she'd have to stop relaxing first and then big chop to show off her natural texture.
  #96  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Yea, I don't think we are going to see more curls for the wedding than what we've seen so far. Meghan seems to prefer the blow out look. I think she'll do something different for the wedding obviously, but I highly doubt it'll be full curls.
  #97  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:42 PM
MARG's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 10,297
I can't remember ever going to a wedding where the bride had her hair au naturel. Some were blow-waved but if the bride was wearing a veil the hair then there were hairpins and heavy-duty hairspray on their updos.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #98  
Old 11-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
While it's also regional - it's kind of a common "joke" in the US that black people say "aunt" and white people say "ant". I just saw a funny skit about this the other day, mentioned it to my mother, who laughed.

Given that Meghan was raised by her black mother - it may simply be a case of that. I don't know any black people who say "ant", though I'm sure there are some. I think the common assumption is that black people say "aunt".
I have never heard that. To me the 'ont' is the norm, and 'ant' is the outlier. I wonder if it has something to do with French and English. It was pointed out to me once that the way we say some words in the U.S. has to do with whether French or English was the language influencing a region. Example of that would be the word 'foyer', said Foy-yer (English) or Foy-yay (French). Same with the word 'envelope', said en-ve-lope (English) or on-ve-lope (French).
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
  #99  
Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,783
Posts about Meghan's UN speech / commercial have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...und-43856.html thread. Please use the 'Background' thread for discussion about Meghan's previous charity work and the like.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #100  
Old 12-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,080
Daily Mail has fifty photos from Meghan's friend -

Meghan Markle seen in 50 rare and candid photographs | Daily Mail Online

Wishing them well. Hope the restrictions and limitations of the Royal way of life don't bore Meghan after a few years.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018 soapstar Current Events Archive 832 05-20-2018 07:28 AM




Popular Tags
abdullah ii africa albert prince consort all tags arcadie arcadie claret austria caribbean caroline charles iii claret current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio duchess of kent edward vii emperor naruhito empress masako espana garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed harry history identifying india introduction king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier louis mountbatten matrilineal monaco monarchy mountbatten official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco prince christian princess of orange queen queen alexandra queen camilla queen elizabeth queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials royal wedding silk spanish history spanish royal family state visit switzerland tiaras visit william wine glass woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises