Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: September 2018 - February 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The RPO stands to the side as they would to get out of the way for photos. Meghan just didn't walk away with the door open.

Kind of shows she's not totally used to having other people do those things for her quite yet. After a lifetime of exiting a car and closing the door behind her, its just something that comes natural. :D

It’s a far cry from Princess Anne. When Camilla Tominey was at the Sunday Express, she said Anne actively discourages the press from covering her royal engagements, let alone waving at photographers.

There is something to be said for press or no press. And it's not a one size fits all. As Meghan has demonstrated very well. If you don't want press to cover it. Don't announce it and don't give authorization to cover it. Do private visits like Meghan has done. And then there are events where the royals obviously want to get the word out. If they are included in there, it's only normal to at least wave to the people that's been standing there and waiting for you for awhile.

I think it's classy and polite to acknowledge them, as long as they are respectful and there to cover the event.

Diana Princess of Wales was famously cozy with paps and photographers until after her marriage began to fall apart. In fact,they became quite aggressive and nasty toward the end when she no longer had Royal protection.:sad:

It IS a double edged sword indeed, and I hope Meghan listens to her husband who has almost undoubtedly had something to say about the subject in private.

My thing about this is. Everyone is there to do a job. The royal(s) and photographers. And frankly, if they didn't want the photographers and royal rota to be there, they can certainly make it a private engagement. Can someone explain how this process is done? Like does KP invite them, or do they apply, or do they just show up? But bottom line, I don't understand how it's "celebrity" to acknowledge people that are there to cover something you are trying to promote. I can understanding them taking a backseat to greeting the hosts, but a simple wave is hardly anything to sneer at.

It depends on the event but usually there is an X number of press positions and photographer positions and the photographers and media have to apply for media accreditation.

Sometimes this is chosen on random by a third party independent media association on who will cover the even for all the broadcasters (like the Hamilton engagement - only 1 photographer was allowed inside the actual auditorium but multiple photographers were allowed in the building) sometimes it's limited to certain members of the press.

It's a fine line between wanting to have a private genuine meetings and interactions with people at an engagement and press access.

One that the press for a while now were very openly saying the Sussexes limit too often its a balance they all need to work on for example today's engagement seemed like a good day for press access.

For example the cooking together engagement didn't have wide spread media access and it was limited probably to accommodate the comfort level of the women participating at the event but it got very good global coverage. It's just about striking the right balance.

:previous:

I can agree with finding a right balance. I don't know if it's because they've limited too much or the press just wants too much right now. The complaining has been surrounding the distance press is kept to Meghan and obviously the Together situation. I honestly think there was some overreaction about it because the press is upset they were completely cut out. It doesn't mean that's how they'll always do things from now. It means they'll assess the situation. I think they did the make the maximum impact by rolling Together out when it's done rather than just announce it and drag it out.

As for the press being kept further. I'm not sure how much closer they want to be or can be without it being intrusive to the two people talking. They seemed close enough to me today, but it doesn't seem closer than they've been at previous events.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think access is much better than what it might have been in the middle the press and photographers certainly aren't shy about complaining about it on twitter if it wasn't.

:previous:

That's one of the prettier bouquets I've seen at royal events, I must say.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's terrific, and Meghan performs that gesture in a very natural way as well. Glad to see her acknowledging the photographers outside as well, even if some of their shots were blocked! It was probably an extremely interesting exhibition and I think Meghan probably enjoyed seeing it.

Her Royal Highness did a fantastic job on her first solo official engagement. She looked like a million bucks too!

Agreed, Dman. From all I've read and seen in clips etc. Meghan was engaged, happy, looked very nice and was extremely natural. A very successful first solo engagement indeed.

Agreed, Dman. From all I've read and seen in clips etc. Meghan was engaged, happy, looked very nice and was extremely natural. A very successful first solo engagement indeed.

I will provide a third voice in agreement! A lovely introduction to the everyday royal work. Meghan is warm and interested in people around her. It is also nice to get a read on her royal duty approach minus Harry.

Meghan performed flawlessly. She displayed her natural warmth and charm. She's definitely an asset.

And re the wave (its sad how giddy her waving made the reporters lol), it seems the photographers were disappointed when she was leaving? Something about everything that could go wrong did, but it all looked ok to me?

And does Rookie actually hate Chris Jackson or does he just enjoy constantly taking the mickey out of him lol? ?

A great start for Meghan's first solo event as the Duchess of Sussex. :flowers:

And re the wave (its sad how giddy her waving made the reporters lol), it seems the photographers were disappointed when she was leaving? Something about everything that could go wrong did, but it all looked ok to me?

And does Rookie actually hate Chris Jackson or does he just enjoy constantly taking the mickey out of him lol? ?

I think it's because they couldn't get a good shot/picture of her at the end.

Fantastic first solo event :flowers:

She showed genuine warmth and interest. Love the Maori greeting.

As for the photographers, love or hate them, they are needed. The fact us the biggest benefit of a royal being a patron or attending an event is bringing publicity and interest to a cause. It's one thing when they attend private meetings under the radar. But for official events paps are a bonus.

Meghan likely knows all to well that playing ball with the media within bounds is part of the job.

I don’t think they are upset with her about it. But just anytime they think they could’ve had a better view, they are going to whine. :lol:

I don't know how she sees to get into the car after being blinded by all the flash...that would be a bit unsettling. I wonder if it doesn't make 'the boys' a bit nervous when they are out and that happens.

LaRae

I don't know how she sees to get into the car after being blinded by all the flash...that would be a bit unsettling. I wonder if it doesn't make 'the boys' a bit nervous when they are out and that happens.

LaRae
What makes me nervous is the stairs, high heel, and flash.

The photographers were groaning because the car got in their way and covered up a full body shot of Meghan.

Which is ironic because the shot that ended up on the front pages was the shot just of her face right before she got in the car.

One of the blogs brought up the fact that front pages more often than not use a portrait or even just a head shot of Meghan on front covers rather then a full body fashion shot that's used more frequently for Royal women.

It was a connection I had never made before but looking back at some of the pictures of Meghan used for past front covers I think I agree. Usually they use a headshot or at most a shot that goes till her waist very rarely do they use the full body that they typically use for others which I found interesting.

Yesterday’s solo engagement was such a success. Although I can’t believe folks on Twitter are making a big deal over Meghan closing her own car door. I guess folks haven’t paid attention to this, but the royals have been opening and closing their own car doors for many years. Yes, there are the times when their doors are opened and closed by others, but the royals do this stuff on their own from time to time.

I saw Queen of the World part 1 on youtube earlier....and Harry is in it..shutting his own door! lol

There have been multiple clips now posted on Twitter of Kate/William closing their own doors.

LaRae

Yesterday’s solo engagement was such a success. Although I can’t believe folks on Twitter are making a big deal over Meghan closing her own car door. I guess folks haven’t paid attention to this, but the royals have been opening and closing their own car doors for many years. Yes, there are the times when their doors are opened and closed by others, but the royals do this stuff on their own from time to time.

It's a bit maddening, actually. Because the first three tweets about it - expressing surprise/praise for Meghan - were actually by reporters (Christopher Wilson and Emily Andrews were #2 and #3).

What's actually blown up on Twitter, from what I see, is people mocking people who are praising her for it. (By a factor of more than 10 to 1, from a review of the timeline of the phrase "car door").

So you have reporters making a big deal of it, then everyone making fun of (especially) Emily, and the People story about it. And now today, the narrative has shifted to reporters debunking it with videos of other royals closing their own doors.

If they hadn't gone on about it last night, no-one would be talking about it.

It's a bit maddening, actually. Because the first three tweets about it - expressing surprise/praise for Meghan - were actually by reporters (Christopher Wilson and Emily Andrews were #2 and #3).

What's actually blown up on Twitter, from what I see, is people mocking people who are praising her for it. (By a factor of more than 10 to 1, from a review of the timeline of the phrase "car door").

So you have reporters making a big deal of it, then everyone making fun of (especially) Emily, and the People story about it. And now today, the narrative has shifted to reporters debunking it with videos of other royals closing their own doors.

If they hadn't gone on about it last night, no-one would be talking about it.

It’s just these little things that drive one crazy! :bang:

I do find it interesting that this is the broken protocol story royal reporters have chosen to debunk while letting all the other royal protocol stories of Meghan's crossed legs go completely unchecked.

Royal reporting really does have to take a good long look at itself its becoming unbearable and any topic that produces more than 3 tweets on twitter instantly becomes a story (usually the negative stories)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom