Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Margaret was a true royal beauty! She had so much class, style, and sophistication. It is so sad to think there will never be another royal princess like her. :heart:

www.corbis.com - Princess Margaret carries her raincoat as she walks along the harbor in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_473.jpg
    EN_margaret_473.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 419
www.corbis.com - Princess Margaret visits the Girl Guides Association Headquarters in London.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_472.jpg
    EN_margaret_472.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 424
www.corbis.com - Princess Margaret watches the Badminton Horse Trials in Badminton. April 14, 1973

Attachments

• EN_margaret_471.jpg
    EN_margaret_471.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 407
www.corbis.com - 8 July 1987 - Princess Margaret visits housing developments in the London Docklands.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_470.jpg
    EN_margaret_470.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 351
www.corbis.com - 16 June 1987 - Princess Margaret and the Duchess of Gloucester ride in a royal coach at Royal Ascot.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_469.jpg
    EN_margaret_469.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 418
www.corbis.com - 2 May 1995 - Princess Margaret attends the unveiling of The Allies on Bond Street.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_468.jpg
    EN_margaret_468.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 352
www.corbis.com - 6 June 1994 - Princess Margaret visits Arromanches-les-Bains in Normandy on the 50th anniversary of D-Day.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_467.jpg
    EN_margaret_467.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 427
www.corbis.com - 17 June 1991 - Princess Margaret walks with saxophonist John Dankworth.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_466.jpg
    EN_margaret_466.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 339
www.corbis.com - 19 March 1980 - Princess Margaret, as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, visits British forces in Iserlohn, West Germany.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_465.jpg
    EN_margaret_465.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 390
www.corbis.com - 19 March 1980 - Princess Margaret, as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Highland Fusiliers, visits British forces in Iserlohn, West Germany.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_465a.jpg
    EN_margaret_465a.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 362

Attachments

• EN_margaret_465b.jpg
    EN_margaret_465b.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 375
www.corbis.com - Princess Margaret, as Colonel-in-Chief of the 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, visits British forces in Paderborn, West Germany.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_464.jpg
    EN_margaret_464.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 337
www.corbis.com - 12 May 1993 - Princess Margaret, President of the Royal Ballet, speaks to dancers at the Royal Opera House.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_463.jpg
    EN_margaret_463.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 401
www.corbis.com 4 August 1986 - Princess Margaret arrives at Clarence House for the Queen Mother's birthday party.

Attachments

• EN_margaret_462.jpg
    EN_margaret_462.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 439
www.corbis.com - Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, and her husband, the Earl of Snowdon, pose during a photo session for Vogue magazine. (1967)

Attachments

• EN_margaret_snowdon_497.jpg
    EN_margaret_snowdon_497.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 884
www.corbis.com - Original caption: Britain's Princess Margaret © is helped by nurses as she leaves the King Edward VII Hospital in London after responding well to treatment January 20, 2001. The Princess has made an enormous improvement after being admitted to the hospital for suffering from a severe loss of appetite after having a suspected second stroke just before Christmas, she is expected to go to Kensington Palace and will rejoin the Queen at Sandringham on Monday. REUTERS/Jonathan Evans

Attachments

• EN_margaret_461.jpg
    EN_margaret_461.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 466
www.corbis.com - QUEEN MUM CELEBRATES 98TH BIRTHDAY AT CLARENCE HOUSE

Princess Margaret in front of Clarence House, before the birthday lunch. August 4, 1998

Attachments

• EN_margaret_519r.jpg
    EN_margaret_519r.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 378
Her Royal Highness Princess Margaret Rose

Attachments

• hrh_princess_margareht_rose__3_.jpg
    hrh_princess_margareht_rose__3_.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,361
  • HRH_Princess_Margaret_Rose__2_.jpg
    HRH_Princess_Margaret_Rose__2_.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,262
  • HRH_Princess_Margaret_Rose__4_.jpg
    HRH_Princess_Margaret_Rose__4_.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,748
  • v_gh.jpg
    v_gh.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 5e5f15d0.jpg
    5e5f15d0.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,651
  • 182a32c0.jpg
    182a32c0.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 5e5f15d0.jpg
    5e5f15d0.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 479
Last edited by a moderator:
"Princess's note revealed By PAUL THOMPSON

A DRAMATIC letter in which Princess Margaret asked the Queen for permission to marry divorced war hero Peter Townsend was revealed yesterday.

Drafted by officials on Margaret’s behalf, the 1955 note also renounced the Princess’s claims to the throne — and those of her descendants. The letter, unsealed at the National Archive, formed part of crisis plans drawn up by the Government in case Margaret decided to wed Group Captain Townsend. He was a dad of two twice her age. And his romance with Margaret — then 25 and the glamorous Princess Di of her day — had the nation enthralled.

The letter read: “I have come to the conclusion that in the circumstances, the best course for me to follow is to marry P.T. and give up all my rights to the Succession.”

Prime Minister Anthony Eden also sent a secret cable to Commonwealth leaders, seeking their approval for any marriage.
But in the event heartbroken Margaret, who died in 2002, chose duty before love and split with Townsend.
The letter was never sent"

"Princess Margaret would have been allowed to keep her royal title if she had married Group Captain Peter Townsend, official papers reveal.

The then Prime Minister, Anthony Eden, was more sympathetic to the marriage than previously thought, according to papers just released by the National Archives.

Only days before she herself announced, on 31 October 1955, she would not be marrying the divorced former Battle of Britain pilot, the government had drawn up a statement to Parliament announcing a marriage.

The only conditions set, the documents indicate, were that she should give up her rights to succeed to the throne and that she would be married in a register office.
There was no suggestion she would have to go abroad, give up the title of Her Royal Highness or her Civil List allowance. This gave her £6,000 a year, to which would be added another £9,000 upon marriage.

There was even an opinion from the Lord Chancellor that the Royal Marriages Act of 1772, under which the rights of the Royal family to marry are restricted, did not apply to her. The implication is the princess, who was 25 at the time, might have been able to marry Gp Capt Townsend anyway if she had forced the issue. The government was ready, at first to repeal the Act, and then to amend it to apply to a sovereign's children only.

The file has been released by the National Archives following the death of the princess in 2002. Cliff Edwards, an official at the National Archives, commented: "Princess Margaret seems to have been given a free hand. The government was looking for ways of enabling her to marry."

On 28 October 1955, the government included in a secret "Summary of Procedure" for a marriage the text of a letter the princess would send to the Queen reads:
"I have come to the conclusion that in all the circumstances the best course for me to follow is to marry Peter Townsend and to give up my rights to the succession. I recognise this will not be possible unless legislation can be passed to facilitate it, but I earnestly hope that Your Majesty and Parliament may be pleased to take whatever steps are necessary to enable my wishes to be realised." An earlier version would have had her say: "I have come to the conclusion that it is necessary for my future happiness that I should marry Peter Townsend."

In a letter prepared for transmission to senior Commonwealth prime ministers, Eden (himself remarried after a divorce) said even though the Queen would not give formal permission for the marriage because of Townsend's divorce, "Her Majesty would not want to stand in the way of her sister's happiness". The letter notes: "It is Princess Margaret's wish that she should continue to be live in the United Kingdom and to carry out her public duties as a member of the Royal Family." It does not offer objections in principle to that wish but does add that it would "depend on the reaction of public opinion, throughout the Commonwealth, to her marriage".

Three years later Princess Margaret married photographer Anthony Armstrong-Jones, who became the Earl of Snowdon. The couple later divorced."

David, Viscount Linley and Sarah Chatto as children

Pics of Princess Margaret's children...

1) Lady Sarah Chatto

2) David, Viscount Linley

Attachments

• BE025967.jpg
    BE025967.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 542
  • HU007967.jpg
    HU007967.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 394
  • NPK001133.jpg
    NPK001133.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 438
  • NPK001168.jpg
    NPK001168.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 449
  • NPK001134.jpg
    NPK001134.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,547
  • NPK001131.jpg
    NPK001131.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 494
  • HU007966.jpg
    HU007966.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 392
  • NPK001258.jpg
    NPK001258.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8,363
  • NPK001196.jpg
    NPK001196.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 378
  • HU007959.jpg
    HU007959.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 387
some more....

Attachments

• AADS001660.jpg
    AADS001660.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 397
  • NPK001070.jpg
    NPK001070.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 375
  • NPK001168.jpg
    NPK001168.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 307
  • U1633255.jpg
    U1633255.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 396
  • U1633920.jpg
    U1633920.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 473
Has anyone seen the recent reports that Margaret had an illegitimate child with Peter Townsend. A 50 year old accountant from Jersey (That's Jersey in the channel Islands for American posters) named Robert Brown has revealed some dynamite information in relation to this which I read in the highly respected Daily Mail newspaper in Britain. This man claims to be the child concerned and, although his reasons regarding his claim are too numerous to detail, certain aspects of his argument seem too strong to discount. Primarily, he is willing to take a DNA test, and secondly, the Palace have refused to deny his claims. Additionally the day after the article was printed the Mail reported that they had been contacted by a 71 year old man who was quoted as saying, " I am surprised this story has taken over 50 years to break. As a 14 year old errand boy (working at an estate in Wales which is now owned by The National Trust) I remember a baby arriving at the house. The senior servants, who witnesed all the goings on above stairs, told us that the baby was Princess Margaret's and Peter Townsend's and that it was going to be adopted out".

Last edited:
If this is true it would explain alot about princess Margaret.

It seems this alleged son would have been born around 1950. Does anyone know what was going on in Margarets life at that time? Does anyone have pics of her that may prove a pregnancy?

Well, 1950 is the year that Princess Anne was born, so I assume Margaret would have been doing more public duties than usual that year since Princess Elizabeth didn't go out in public when her pregnancies were visible.

Why didn't princess Elizabeth go out when her pregnancy was visible?

Back
Top Bottom