The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Commoner

I would be very surprised to hear that any member of the British Royal Family, if forced to give an opinion, would not support the Conservatives. Broadly speaking people with money and social standing vote Conservative, those with less money or a lower social standing vote Labour. This is a broad generalization, examples showing the reverse is true exist of course.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it probably depends on the policies of the government in power at the time, like it does for most people.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

Depending on the country, sometimes it is divided among, race,gender religion, soci-economic, political idealogy and other things. In the United States these things influence what political party one supports. I would imagine in other countries some of this also factors in.

You would probably know if a monarch was an political or religious extremist or any other type of extremist. An Extremist on the right or the left can't keep quiet. They have to tell anyone who will listen to them what they believe and they often can go on and on. If you don't agree with them or try to ignore them, they often resort to insults, name calling and make outrageous statements so that you will have their attention. They become furious or lose their temper if anyone challenges their belief system.

This wouldn't be a government that a monarchy would want to support or be forced to attempt. A MP or PM who was an extremist would make for a most unhappy time.

Sometimes it's one issue and other times it a variety of issues but it's always a one track mind. No monarch currently on any throne fits this description. Hard to hide something like this.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

There was the controversy 2008 in Luxembourg when grand duke Henri refused to sign into law the act of euthanasia the parliament had approved. The end result became that the royal signature is no longer necessary for a law to take effect. As Henri is deeply religious it's understandable that he didn't want to sign a law that went against his beliefs but that put him in opposition to the legislative powers in his country.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Serene Highness

I read somewhere that Duke Alois of Leichtenstein said he would leave the country if he was asked to sign an abortion permission law. I believe the law never was forward to him and did not pass. Not sure, though. the Leichtenstein family have plenty of other places they could live if necessary.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 AM

I think the British Royal Family have done very well to maintain strictly non-partisan.

All three of our main parties now are effectively centre-left parties made up of careerist politicians, so you might as well role a dice to guess which one they'd vote for.

I would say that in general they are generally 'small-c conservatives' than anything, certainly with attitudes to religion and family life, as well as country issues like fox hunting.

Prince Charles is the only one who's been particularly forth-coming about political issues. Some of the issues he's supported have swung from left to right, like organic food and supporting British farming. These are historically left-wing causes that are now associated with the right, with the left (at least the 'london left') moving towards GM crops and buying within the EU.

Perhaps he just proves the old adage, 'it only takes ten years for a liberal to become a conservative without changing a single idea'.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Aristocracy

Referenda For Monarchy / Republic

Hi! I would like to know how many referendums monarchy vs. republic have been held in the History. I remember these:

-Bulgaria: With the country occupied by the Sovietic troops, a referendum was held and the monarchy abolished.

-Italy: The Italian monarchy was abolished in the 1946 referendum.

-Belgium: Was the question royale a referendum about the continuance of the Belgian dynasty or "only" about if the suitable king was Leopold III or Baudouin I?

-Greece: The 1974 referendum showed very clearly that the Greek people didn't want the Royal Family to return.

-Iran: Shortly after the Shah left Tehran, a public referendum abolished the monarchy with more of the 95% of the votes were favourable to the proclamation the Islamic Republic...

-Brazil: In the 90's, due to the request of a member of the parliament, was celebrated a referendum one century after the downfall of the Orlens-Bragana.

-Cambodia: Was the 1993 plebiciste a referendum about the monarchy or simply a new constitution was promulgated?

-Albania: In 1997 the monarchical option won the popular plebiscite, but the governement manipulated the results. Officially, only one third of the Albanians voted for the return of king Leka.

-Australia: A plebiciste in 1999 was held and the 55% of the votes were pro-monarchy.

I don't know more examples of referendums held about monarchy vs. republic. And you?

Regards and thank you!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Commoner

I found a blog on blogger it shows the reason why a monarchy is better than a republic so far has three posts i believe Monarchy is the way forward !
Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Commoner

Safeguarding monarchies of the world

In my opinion it is our job to safeguard these monarchies from threats such as dictatorships and republicans . These republicans are annoying and their arguments are folly we must persuade the populations of these countries to return to monarchy from a republic and to stop the transition from a monarchy to anything else. With blogs like these being able to help to spread the word of the political system that works http://monarch1996.blogspot.ie/
Old 12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

In my opinion the population of the countries themselves should be allowed to decide what they want, monarchy or republic.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Courtier

As always I wholeheartedly agree with you Lumutqueen! It is for the population to decide if they want a monarchy or a republic.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I am in agreement with Lumutqueen and Kit: it is up to people of a given country to choose their system of Government.
As someone who happens to live in an "annoying" republic, what with Armenia facing so many problems in so many areas, Monarchy is the last thing we need. Or want.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

I think its self evident that the people will decide the fate of monarchies. There is no Divine Right

Every monarchy has a 'republican' movement that campaigns against it, so monarchists should and are entitled to support and safeguard their monarchy by whatever means they can.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

As a citizen of a country that has one vote to become a republic and will have another I know, and agree, that it is up to the people of the country to decide whether or not they should be a monarchy or a republic.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All I can say is that if the US had a monarch as head of state, our elected officials would spend more time getting things done and less time campaigning for positions that cost billions of dollars.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Commoner

Safe Guarding Monarchy

Safe Guarding Monarchy:

Have we a true grasp on the Monarchy Root? Monarchy was established by the people! The People that these Monarchy were established for were, Family from Tribal Cultures, Independant but of One Divine Source. If we were where our Origins began, then maybe as 'Family Members' we would not contest the Imperial 'Leader' provided and learned to Serve the People of the 'given' Tribe under Critique?
It is important to recall: Life has many forms and each form has a right to 'Life'! When a people as a 'Nation', stand-up to rise against the Imperial Social Structure, we know that Allah-God was right, in stating, to the People: " You know not what you want, nor will you like that which you choose over me above Your God!".
We as usual, a People of Divine Source, now turn to the World and deem Allah-God a Divine Source of Wisdom, owed Respect in being Infallible of Word; yet often misinterpreted due the lost state of 'Spirited Oneness' in fallible 'Mankind'.
The Land belonged to the Imperial Leaders, and they the 'Leaders' were family for the 'People' they Shepherded. This is a Eason for us all to Pray, where is my place my Divine Source, that I might not fail to remain in Thy understanding?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well, obviously monarchs (tribal leaders, chiefs and others) were initially chosen by people. But then again, the strongest leaders capable of protecting the people and country in times of troubles were chosen; monarchs were expected to physically lead armies, make laws and oversee justice. All of those duties are no longer relevant in our times.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Courtier

I for one hope that all remaining European monarchies stay in place!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope all Europeans choose for themselves what kind of government they want.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I can say is that if the US had a monarch as head of state, our elected officials would spend more time getting things done and less time campaigning for positions that cost billions of dollars.
Osipi..I dont agree with the context of ur opinion. If US were a monarchy, it will mostly be a constitutional one, and still there will be pwerful Prime Ministers and Ministers, who will still be spending billions for campaigns..You say you want absolute monarchy, just to limit campaign costs? then I am afraid it is a really really terrible idea, in this age, for that country.

Tags
queen elizabeth ii, republican, royal