The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-28-2021, 06:55 AM

Help Identifying Royal Cypher Monogram & Coronet

Hi, Obviously new here and hopefully posting in the correct thread. I would love some help identifying this Royal cypher or monogram and the crown or coronet above. It is in blue enamel on a solid silver (900 silver so not British hallmark) little snuff type box. I've had it some time and drawn a blank so far with my research so hoping someone might know more. I think, as with a lot of collecting, that the devil is in the detail. The fact it is in blue leans me towards Scandinavian but as yet not found an exact match for the crown or coronet. No luck either with the monogram which looks like 'EV' or 'VE' but might not be as simple! Thanks in advance....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5151.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	302538   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_5152.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	302539  

Old 04-28-2021, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
Hi, Obviously new here and hopefully posting in the correct thread. I would love some help identifying this Royal cypher or monogram and the crown or coronet above. It is in blue enamel on a solid silver (900 silver so not British hallmark) little snuff type box. I've had it some time and drawn a blank so far with my research so hoping someone might know more. I think, as with a lot of collecting, that the devil is in the detail. The fact it is in blue leans me towards Scandinavian but as yet not found an exact match for the crown or coronet. No luck either with the monogram which looks like 'EV' or 'VE' but might not be as simple! Thanks in advance....

To me it looks Danish. Maybe Prince Viggo of Denmark, Count of Rosenborg and his wife Eleanor?

Old 04-28-2021, 01:52 PM

Thank you, Danish fits with my Scandinavian idea and Prince Viggo and Eleanor would fit the monogram. The interesting thing is their timeline would fit with my estimation of the age of the box which came to me with other items, some of which were dated between World War 1 and World War 2. They were a random mix of items but meant the owner would have travelled extensively around Europe and also South America making me think he/she might have been some kind of Diplomat. I have emailed the Danish Monarchy archives to see if they can confirm or otherwise... Fingers crossed!
Old 04-28-2021, 02:37 PM
Commoner

It could be for Victor Emmanuel but I think itís more likely to belong to Victoria Eugenia of Spain. Donít rely on the color to be an identifying factor, especially on an older item.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:50 PM

Thank you Glasshouse for your contribution. Hopefully the puzzle has now been solved. I have attached a link to an identical box and monogram sold at Dorotheum auction in Vienna in 2014 describing it as 'King Victor Emanuel III of Italy Gift Tabatiere'. Assuming the cataloguing is correct I think we have found the answer.https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/3873658/
Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 AM

Thank you both for your help, the puzzle has been solved!
An identical box sold at Dorotheum Auction in Vienna on 30/04/2014 (lot 197). Catalogued as King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy (1869-1947) Gift Tabatiere.
I tried to post a link but maybe because I'm new it wouldn't let me.
Thanks again and Kind Regards
Peter.