General Things About Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe only the royal courts of UK and the Netherlands still recognize the throne of Greece even though Greece itself abolished the monarchy.

I don't understand why Constantine is still "clutching" on something that doesn't exist anymore.

Nobody is recognising the now defunct throne of Greece, but the courts of Europe recognise the position and titles of King Constantine and his family. All in accordance with European traditions and protocol. All European nations recognise the republican government of Greece.

Last edited:
Nobody is recognising the now defunct throne of Greece, but the courts of Europe recognise the position and titles of King Constantine and his family. All in accordance with European traditions and protocol. All European nations recognise the republican government of Greece.
Once a King always a King. Titles are not lost. King Konstantine has been and will stay a King. He is just not King of Greece anymore.
People make a fuss about using royal titles of non reigning houses but still use the title for an Admiral or a President, even if they are not active anymore.

Sent from my SM-A426B using The Royals Community mobile app

My understanding is that the protocol in Greece does not recognize any elevated position or titles for the ex-king.

He’s not clutching on anything, he was a King before the monarchy was abolished.

By the same logic Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is entitled to call herself Queen: She was a monarch before her abdication, and her monarchy has not even been abolished.

Once a King always a King. Titles are not lost. King Konstantine has been and will stay a King. He is just not King of Greece anymore.
People make a fuss about using royal titles of non reigning houses but still use the title for an Admiral or a President, even if they are not active anymore.

I'm quite sure there would be a great deal of "fuss" if, say, Prince Andrew of the UK were to revert to using the military titles he has been stripped from.

Even when used with the permission of the government, the use of the title President for retired heads of state remains controversial in some countries.

My understanding is that the protocol in Greece does not recognize any elevated position or titles for the ex-king.

By the same logic Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands is entitled to call herself Queen: She was a monarch before her abdication, and her monarchy has not even been abolished.

I'm quite sure there would be a great deal of "fuss" if, say, Prince Andrew of the UK were to revert to using the military titles he has been stripped from.

Even when used with the permission of the government, the use of the title President for retired heads of state remains controversial in some countries.
First off, the now Princess Beatrix abdicated and resorted to using her old title of Princess because the Queen mother title isn’t a thing in the Netherlands. The people who have heard of her knew she was once a Queen and can refer to her in any way, Princess or Queen. If someone wants to refer to Constantine as King, that’s their prerogative.

The Dutch monarchy has different traditions. Upon abdication, Beatrix reverts to being a Princess. Same title she held before her inauguration as Queen and that was also the case to the Queens before her namely Juliana and Wilhelmina. To add, it's also only in the Netherlands that even as Queen, it is customary for you to use your husband's and father's titles. Example: Her Royal Highness Princess Juliana of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Duchess of Mecklenburg, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld, etc. This wasn't the case for other Queen regnants AFAIK.

Regarding King Constantine II who is currently King in exile, in accordance with royal traditions, is still King. It's what we call (title of pretense and by courtesy), King Michael I of Romania, King Alfonso XIII of Spain, King Manuel II of Portugal or even Tsar Simeon II of the Bulgarians (who even became the 48th Prime Minister of Bulgaria). Their titles however is unofficial and legally disputed.

Last edited:
What future royal events or gatherings could we expect in the upcoming years? It could be milestone birthdays, jubilees or anniversaries, and are they likely to be marked and celebrated with fellow European royals?

Denmark
16 April 2020 - Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday
14 January 2022 - Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee
5 February 2022 - Crown Princess Mary's 50th Birthday

Sweden
23 December 2018 - Queen Silvia's 75th Birthday
30 April 2021 - King Carl Gustaf's 75th Birthday
15 September 2023 - King Carl Gustaf's Golden Jubilee
15 September 2023 - Prince Daniel's 50th Birthday

Norway
21 February & 4 July 2022 - King Harald & Queen Sonja's 85th Birthdays
20 July 2023 - Crown Prince Haakon's 50th Birthday

The Royal House of Norway is likely to have a party to commemorate the 50th birthday of Crown Prince Haakon.
In 2023 we will also celebrate the 18th birthday of Prince Christian of Denmark and Princess Leonor of Spain.

The Royal House of Norway is likely to have a party to commemorate the 50th birthday of Crown Prince Haakon.
In 2023 we will also celebrate the 18th birthday of Prince Christian of Denmark and Princess Leonor of Spain.

I doubt there will be any such celebrations in Spain and if there's even a slice of cake it will behind closed doors at gloomy Zarzuela!

I doubt there will be any such celebrations in Spain and if there's even a slice of cake it will behind closed doors at gloomy Zarzuela!

Probably we will get an offical act like the Princess making her oath to the constitution. At last something like this was done for the then Prince Felipe’s 18th birthday.

I never said it did.

I was replying to your comment "All in accordance with European traditions and protocol." Greece is part of Europe, so it is not universal protocol within Europe.

Probably we will get an offical act like the Princess making her oath to the constitution. At last something like this was done for the then Prince Felipe’s 18th birthday.

I think that is quite an elegant way to mark the 18th birthday of a future monarch.

I think that is quite an elegant way to mark the 18th birthday of a future monarch.

Of course, but i find always nice if there is also a bit of another celebration.

Of course, but i find always nice if there is also a bit of another celebration.

For sure. All I know is that there was a swearing-in ceremony to the Constitution. Did the then Prince of Asturias had a banquet for his 18th birthday? Or perhaps Elena or Cristina did? I really hope to see Princess Leonor in a tiara.

For sure. All I know is that there was a swearing-in ceremony to the Constitution. Did the then Prince of Asturias had a banquet for his 18th birthday? Or perhaps Elena or Cristina did? I really hope to see Princess Leonor in a tiara.

There will be an equal or similar ceremony for Leonor.
Whether there will be a feast I don't know.
I hope there is a new official photo of Leonor wearing a tiara.

No Idea. But i'm pretty sure that there was no banquet for either of the 18th birthday in Spain as that not done in Spain- perhaps some private celebrations.
I also don't think there will be an official Gala Portrait of Princess Leonor for her 18th birthday.

Hopefully casareal will splash out for a new photo of Leonor for her 18th birthday.
Sadly Casareal is not very creative or media savvy so I don't expect much.

Won't they have to have at least a new image of Leonor for official purposes, given she's going to be the adult heir? Anyway, they have a year to get their act together.

Back
Top Bottom