General Things About Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a good question...but I don't remember it :( I think it's because I thought of it just before I went to sleep..but oh well

My Question (different to above mentioned):
What does one wear to a Enthronement Ceremony?

How Come.....??

Arent there question wou always want to ask about Royals, like how come we never see any of the Spanish Royal Women in Bathing suit?? Has anyone seen Cristina or Elena in Cossies??

Or how come, many of the Spanish females dont wear hats?/ I know they wear mantillas, but at Felipe wedding, Leticia's sister had a hat??

Possibly this is not the place but... What's about the title of Baron/ess Thyssen? Does it exist or not? I've heard that the title was extinct years ago and other sources said that this happened when Baron Heinrich died, but his wife still use the title...

JessRulz said:
What does one wear to a Enthronement Ceremony?
I think it differs from country to country, and I guess also that the new monarch can pretty much decide what events will celebrate the historic moment, and the dress code etc for the various events.

GrandDuchess said:
I think it differs from country to country, and I guess also that the new monarch can pretty much decide what events will celebrate the historic moment, and the dress code etc for the various events.

I agree with you. With the "enthronement" of King Harald in 1991 it was formal, gala wear. So I guess that one still will go with a rather formal dress code in the future too. Somehow I don't see an "enthronement" as a garden party with jeans and t-shirts any time soon :D

GrandDuchess said:

Thanks GrandDuchess
I wasn't sure what they wore, because looking at some pictures from Harald's enthronement back in 1991, Martha Louise and Sonja were wearing full gala outfits, but the woman sitting behind Haakon and Martha Louise looked like she was wearing a formal day outfit, so I got a little confused! :eek:
Thanks for clearing that up

I was watching Oprah yesterday, the episode where Queen Rania was a guest.
When Oprah introduced Rania, she called her 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Rania'. Is that Rania's title, and are all the Kings and Queens called 'His/Her Royal Majesty'?, or was this just a mistake on Oprah's behalf?

Regarding the title of Baroness Thyssen: Heini's father married into the Hungarian nobility and that was the origin of the title, so I would assume that it's still a legitimate title for Tita to use. Maybe some of the experts on styles can give further details.

JessRulz said:
I was watching Oprah yesterday, the episode where Queen Rania was a guest.
When Oprah introduced Rania, she called her 'Her Royal Majesty Queen Rania'. Is that Rania's title, and are all the Kings and Queens called 'His/Her Royal Majesty'?, or was this just a mistake on Oprah's behalf?
I just watched it (taped). The "HRM" was Oprah going over the top. Apart from that it was an interesting interview, and HM Queen Rania came across as sharp and smart.

SheriBeri said:
What DOES determine royalty lines in the case of someone like Princess Diana, who, if Charles became king, she WOULD become Queen? What was her background to cause her to be Queen (wish she had lived for that).:(
Diana would have been Queen because she would have been married to the King. No background would have caused her to be Queen. If any of us had married Prince Charles, we'd be Queen when he was King. However, if Diana had lived, Diana would not have been Queen because she was divorced from Prince Charles. There are three types of Queens:
  1. Queen Regnant: the monarch, a reigning queen. Queen Elizabeth II is a Queen Regnant. She inherited the throne from her father. This is the only type of queen requires a royal line.
  2. Queen Consort: the wife of a king. While King George VI was alive, his wife was the Queen Consort.
  3. Queen Dowager: widow of a king. After King George VI, his wife was Queen Dowager although she chose to be calle Queen Mother which is a special type of Queen Dowager. A Queen Mother is the widow of a king and the mother of his successor.
For more information, see http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq.html#p2-15

Also Diana was never "Princess Diana." While married she was HRH The Princess of Wales and after the divorce she was Diana, Princess of Wales with "Princess of Wales" acting as a surname. She was not a princess after her divorce. Only those born a princess in the UK, can use "Princess" followed by their first name. Currently, only Princess Anne, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, and Princess Alexandra fit into this category. Technically, Lady Louise Windsor does also but the Queen and her parents have decided not to style her that way. For more information on Diana's style. For more information on Diana's style see http://www.baronage.co.uk/diana/di-arms1.html

Warren said:
I just watched it (taped). The "HRM" was Oprah going over the top. Apart from that it was an interesting interview, and HM Queen Rania came across as sharp and smart.

I happened to be home when the interview was on. When Oprah asked Queen Rania what made her happy, i was surprised when she said instantly- chocolate! I didn't expect that! It was great. My brother said to me "she can't really be a Queen! She's too young and she's hot!":rolleyes:

Ok here is something I have been wondering for ages...
When the Queens/princesses get up each day do they have somebody to do their makeup and hair or do they do it themselves? Is it just for an official event they have somebody do it for them?
Thanks!

Warren said:

Thanks Warren.
I also think that Queen Rania came across as smart in the interview, and while I haven't followed or taken a lot of interest in Rania or the Jordanian royal family, I learnt a lot about them and their lives in the interview, and I think I would like to learn about Rania and her family a little more.
The interview also posed another question for me:
When King Abdullah's father was King, why wasn't the current King the heir to the throne? And why was the previous King's brother the heir?

In the old ottoman empire, it was always the oldest male member of the sultan family, who was the heir to the thrown. Therefor, a sultan could be succeeded by his younger brother instead of his oldest son. I believe the same succession rules might have lingered in Jordan.

I remember back in 2004 when Prince Albert II of Monaco was the heir-apparent to the Monaco throne.When he was on the Larry King live show the host himself introducted him as Crown Prince when the correct term is Hereditary Prince.

I happened to be home when the interview was on. When Oprah asked Queen Rania what made her happy, i was surprised when she said instantly- chocolate! I didn't expect that! It was great. My brother said to me "she can't really be a Queen! She's too young and she's hot!":rolleyes:

:lol: You know, oddly enough, my friends who have no interest or knowledge about royalty said the same thing when they saw a photo of Queen Rania. My jaded guy friends were practically drooling.:D

In the old ottoman empire, it was always the oldest male member of the sultan family, who was the heir to the thrown. Therefor, a sultan could be succeeded by his younger brother instead of his oldest son. I believe the same succession rules might have lingered in Jordan.

Not exactly. King Hussein actually changed the succession on his deathbed, unexpectedly making Abdullah king. In some muslim monarchies, the mother's status determines who is able to inherit the throne. In others, it is the monarch who decides his successor.
The Ottoman succession rules were settled upon after many years. Originally, the sultan's sons sort of duked it out to see who became the next sultan. Then it was whoever lived closest to the capital, and was therefore able to reach the vacant throne and claim it first. It was only much later that the late Ottoman succession was settled.

Contacting Royals for Interviews

I am currently working on a book about the monarchies of Europe. In an ideal world, I'd love to have an interview with a royal from each family (like I said, in an ideal world:) I'm actually very open to any member of each of the families. Does anyone have any idea how I'd go about doing this? Thanks!

You would need to call (or write) the press secretary associated with each royal person you would like to interview. Normally, that's the person you would have contact with throughout the process. In writing, the request would usually include your book title and scope, an outline, your deadline(s), what you are specifically looking for in regard to this interview and if they will have final say and approval for materials. You would also need to note if you are wanting to tape or photograph during the interview.

Most secretaries will require some type of information to "prove" who you are before they will even consider your request. A letter from a publisher, news agency or other contact would usually suffice.

I haven't got any advice, monos26, but was wondering how you're getting on in your quest?

floral bouquets for royal women at events

I have tried to find this info on the forums, but was unable to. What is the protocol for royal women and the bouquets of flowers that they carry at events? I have noticed that most royals are carrying bouquets of flowers while they are at official events. Who provides these bouquets? How are the flowers selected? Are many bouquets offered to the royal, and she selects from among them, or is there one particular person charged with the duty of procuring the bouquets for the royal?:flowers:

I dont know who organises the bouquets, but they are always coordinated with the royals outfit.
Princess Mary is normally given them by someone related to the patron/cause the event is for, often a child.

Thank you for the information, Marmi. I have noticed that her flowers tend to coordinate with her outfits. Do they have advance notice of what she is wearing, in order to plan the bouquet?

I cannot recall where, but I read somewhere that royal women often carry bouquets at events to signal that they will not be shaking hands with people gathered (keeping their hands otherwise occupied).

I'd never heard that Kaatje, thank you. I have exams and assignments at the moment or I'd do some googling to see if I could find where you read it! Nevermind, its not that important.

Flowers??

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I would post it here... Hope its ok.

Everytime I see a Queen or a Princess at an event they are all ways give flowers, some just single fowers from the garden or these big huge bunches of flowers??

I have never really understood the meaning of it... The Queens and Princess must be handed hundreds each year, what do they do with them all?

Herman Lindqvist (who has written a book about crown princess Victoria) told a lovely story about Victoria and the flowers.
He had an appointment with Victoria when he hadn´t known Victoria very long. Victoria was at a ceremony at the castle. Some little girls gave her flowers. She came to meet Lindqvist, and went to a room for the staff, put the flowers to the kitchen sink and then she searched for a vase that she found suitable for the flowers. Then she cut the flowers and said that these flowers must be put to a water with certain temperature. While she took care of the flowers she talked with Lindqvist about other things. The flowers were a gift from little girls to Victoria and she appreciated it, she took personally care of them.

Herman Lindqvist (who has written a book about crown princess Victoria) told a lovely story about Victoria and the flowers.
He had an appointment with Victoria when he hadn´t known Victoria very long. Victoria was at a ceremony at the castle. Some little girls gave her flowers. She came to meet Lindqvist, and went to a room for the staff, put the flowers to the kitchen sink and then she searched for a vase that she found suitable for the flowers. Then she cut the flowers and said that these flowers must be put to a water with certain temperature. While she took care of the flowers she talked with Lindqvist about other things. The flowers were a gift from little girls to Victoria and she appreciated it, she took personally care of them.

Thanks for sharing, this episode gives a lovely image of Victoria!

QEII gives her flowers away

She usually will hold on to the official bouquet, and pass the others to her Lady in Waiting. I believe the flowers are generally donated to local hospitals. If they have cards attached however, the Lady in Waiting keeps that, so that a thank you card can be sent.

She usually will hold on to the official bouquet, and pass the others to her Lady in Waiting. I believe the flowers are generally donated to local hospitals. If they have cards attached however, the Lady in Waiting keeps that, so that a thank you card can be sent.

"official bouquet"? I assume this means a bucnh of flowers presented by some VIP?

Back
Top Bottom