Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 1995 when she visited Japan, Princess Diana curtseyed to the Emperor and Empress.

It seems the British has a different curtsey style? They usually places their right leg behind the left leg (like Sophie's), while the others just put their right leg backward (see Marie's).

It looks quite difficult to balance to me :bang:

If you read back though this discussion, there is a lot of discussion about curtsey form and foot positioning. And, depending on your flexibility and balance and choice of depth, it is hard. I have neuropathy in my feet from a medical treatment and I would for sure risk falling over with a curtsey. So, I know I would give a very respectful bow just like the guys do.

People on this thread can be quite harsh about the RIGHT way to curtsey. IMO, respect shown is respect shown. But do read back for lots more info on the how to's.

Off topic but that is one glorious dress. The color is mesmerizing! :flowers: Plus the exquisite tiara. ❤️

Funny how opinions differ. I first liked the dress when she was curtseying to the emperor and empress but when she was seated at the table the dress in combination with the 'jacket' made her look really wide; doing exactly the opposite of what a dress should do to her figure. I really liked her look when they first were received by the imperial couple.

Funny how opinions differ. I first liked the dress when she was curtseying to the emperor and empress but when she was seated at the table the dress in combination with the 'jacket' made her look really wide; doing exactly the opposite of what a dress should do to her figure. I really liked her look when they first were received by the imperial couple.

An example of when the camera lens becomes the arbiter of what looks good or not. :sad: It's really an illusion that is created by the camera which has everything to do with lighting and angle, etc. Its why when I see someone who seems to always nail their snap shots I assume (yes) that they are spending time factoring in all the elements. If they don't have a full time dresser, what a labor they engage in. A lot of work (and not worth it, to my mind). JMO. Speculation.

That's really neat that Princess Mako would curtsey, even partially. It's not part of the Japanese culture. But she obviously knows it is part of European culture. And it can't be easy to do in a kimono, they are quite tight around the body and restrictive in movement. Very nice!

That first, formal real curtsy will be as Meghan and Harry leave the altar as man and wife and both formally bow and curtsy to HM, The Queen.

I bet Meghan practices it over and over again while wearing her wedding dress until "that" moment arrives. :D

That first, formal real curtsy will be as Meghan and Harry leave the altar as man and wife and both formally bow and curtsy to HM, The Queen.

I bet Meghan practices it over and over again while wearing her wedding dress until "that" moment arrives. :D

I forgot about that Osipi. You’re spot on about practice.

I'm pretty sure she has the curtsey thing down since she's met the Queen already.

Last edited by a moderator:
She was probably a nervous wreck the first time!

I'm pretty sure she has the curtsey thing down since she's met the Queen already.

But that was done privately not in view of millions! However I was speaking more to the rules that govern when to curtesy to whom within the family. If Harry's present she has higher status if he's not she has lower status etc.

LaRae

Yes...Meghan’s major public curtsy will be on her wedding day.

Remember...Meghan will only be curtsying to The Queen and possibly The Duke of Edinburgh. Royals don’t curtsy to any other within the family.

But that was done privately not in view of millions! However I was speaking more to the rules that govern when to curtesy to whom within the family. If Harry's present she has higher status if he's not she has lower status etc.

LaRae

I think I heard the younger generation don't curtsey to each other. I'm not sure if the Queen's children receive curtesy anymore.

I don't honestly think that Meghan being American will figure into it at all whether or not she curtsies to the Queen or anyone else. If and when she does, it will be done solely out of deep respect and admiration for the position that HM holds and will be done solely because she *wants* to.

If Meghan can be so aware of other people that she freely offers up her own hand warmer to a stranger, I would be my last candy cane that she would be very aware of the positions and the roles and the respect that should be given to HM, The Queen and each and every other royal that is going to be part and parcel of her family.

I don't honestly think that Meghan being American will figure into it at all whether or not she curtsies to the Queen or anyone else. If and when she does, it will be done solely out of deep respect and admiration for the position that HM holds and will be done solely because she *wants* to.

If Meghan can be so aware of other people that she freely offers up her own hand warmer to a stranger, I would be my last candy cane that she would be very aware of the positions and the roles and the respect that should be given to HM, The Queen and each and every other royal that is going to be part and parcel of her family.

I know that. And I have no doubt that Meghan would do so without being required to, but out of respect. And it was very obvious in the engagement interview that she had a lot of respect for HMQ and this institution she will devote her life to. But the point was towards all this talk about who has to walk behind whom and basically Meghan knowing her place is behind Kate and I got a whole article about this whole protocol. So if we are strictly going by protocol, she doesn't have to curtsey unlike everyone else. She's the one person in that family, other than the Queen, that technically doesn't have to curtsey to anyone.

Last edited:
I think that following an edict that came in the early 2000s, married-in wives had to curtsey to blood Princesses, ie Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie, Alexandra, unless their husbands were present. Also curtseys were required for the married ins for HM, Prince Philip and the Duchess of Cornwall and the Prince of Wales. In reality I don't think any of them curtsey to each other privately, except to the Queen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...bridge-to-curtsy-to-the-blood-princesses.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bridge-curtsey-Princess-Beatrice-Eugenie.html

Last edited:
The precedence was changed. Speaking of things like seating, entering and exiting and such. Some people, thanks to reporters, have taken that one step further in believing that means that they bow and curtsey to each other.

What seems, at least in public (and it seems unlikely its even more formal in private) they only bow to people of higher rank. And that isn't precedence. Higher rank is a HRH bows to a HM. We don't see them bowing to Charles and Camilla though they are ranked higher then everyone but the queen and Philip. When foreign royals visit, they only bow if they are visiting sovereigns.

I’m wondering when the media will understand that members of the royal family don’t curtsy to each other?

When did they stop that Dman.?

I very much thought they still did. (Especially in private get togethers.)

When did they stop that Dman.?

I very much thought they still did. (Especially in private get togethers.)

Unless I’ve missed it, there’s no evidence that members of the royal family curtsy to one another. They curtsy to The Queen. Catherine has been seen curtsying to the Duke of Edinburgh, but no one in the family curtsy to one another.

Meghan will be curtsying to The Queen and Foreign Monarchs.

The media won't care or stop such articles. Clickbait. In 20-30 years, there will be reports about who Prince George's wife has to curtsey to. :argh:

The custom is to curtsey/bow to someone of a higher rank then you. Not someone of higher precedence then you. You bow to the queen because she is an HM, HRH don't bow to another HRH. That is why we don't see people bowing to Charles and Camilla who are right below the queen and Philip.

Just as when there are visiting royals. They wouldn't be expected to bow if say Mary and Fred came to visit, but would to Margrethe.

Precedence is followed in private. And it is said the queen has switched it up in private. But that refers to seating, entrance and such.

The media, and many royal followers mistake 'precedence' for curtseying and as a result assume that if a person has to give way to another they also have to curtsey.

The royals do not curtsey to each other to a large extent.

Who will Meghan curtsey to - The Queen and maybe Philip as her consort. That is it.

Who will she give way to when about to enter a room - that will vary according to the situation:

If the event is a full public event she will give way to those ahead of Harry in the Order of Precedence (although the BRF have been following far more an order of succession rather than actual precedence in recent years). If true precedence is followed then she would be behind all of the Queen's children and William and Kate but if they follow just the line of succession then the Queen, Charles and William obviously - and in time, George, Charlotte and #3.

When in private - it will depend on whether there are any men present:

If only women present then she will be behind ALL those born HRH Princess ... so behind Anne, Alexandra, Beatrice and Eugenie along with behind Camilla and William.

If any man if present - not just Harry - then she will take her precedence as if Harry was there.

The main reason for the private precedence is that it means that there is a clear order for them to enter rooms and sit down when they are all together so if they are all at Windsor and Meghan arrives at a door at exactly the same time as Beatrice then Beatrice enters first but if Meghan and Harry arrive at exactly the same time then they enter first (unless Harry is a gentleman in which case he would let all the women in before him).

Sadly any people simply don't get it ... because they are either obtuse or stupid or too lazy to try to understand.

Back
Top Bottom