Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its a sign of respect. Charles won't be able to command people to bow to him anymore than the Queen can. People curtsey to the Queen to show their respects. Whether this continues during Charles reign is anyone guess.

It looks as though the newly elected Prime Minister presents a courteous neck bow to the PofW when meeting for the VE Day Parade.

I think he might get a lot of letters from veterans if he didn't??!!??

Attachments

• a chas cameron.jpg
    a chas cameron.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 293
The Countess of Wessex curtsied to the Queen yesterday.

The Royal Windsor Horse Show - Pictures - Zimbio

The Queen looks warm. What a fantastic thing warmth is. I know how that is, struggling to stay warm, in the winter. I am a little thing and it's hard to do, lol, you'll catch me shivering trying to keep moving sometimes, then, finally when I can just be still and enjoy the warm or adjust to the cold, someone will interrupt and I get back to shivering. Oh of course it is just fine they interrupt, lol, but, I practically live in the desert and thrive in the hot climate. So a hoodie isn't unusual on me in 75 f degree weather. It's like what in the 40's degree f. there? I'd be bundled too. I like this picture, because it reminded me of how genuinely caring and patient you just have to be to put up with some things, sometimes. Thank goodness for thermafleece. I have found laying off the caffeine does make a difference, but not much. Either way, hot,cold,chilly or warm my hands are just going to tinge a little purplish. The Queen isn't doing it in this photo, but she has in others, it isn't old age or ill health, really, it's just normal low b.p. I see her ankles, there is a musle right there and it looks not like swelling on her. I don't get swollen ankles. People do get really concerned over unknown things, even dratted confused. I hope they will be less concerned and more confident nothing is up with her other than being amazingly fit and healthy. I don't drink alcohol, haven't since I was 22. She doesn't look like a drinker. Perhaps I'll live to see her age as fit as she is.

Last edited:
It looks as though the newly elected Prime Minister presents a courteous neck bow to the PofW when meeting for the VE Day Parade.

I think he might get a lot of letters from veterans if he didn't??!!??

I'm old school. I'm all for bows and curtsies. Zara for example curtsies to the Queen but will she curtsey to Charles when he's King. I hope so but we don't know. Of course PMs will continue to bow and curtsey

I'm old school. I'm all for bows and curtsies. Zara for example curtsies to the Queen but will she curtsey to Charles when he's King. I hope so but we don't know. Of course PMs will continue to bow and curtsey

I think that Zara and the rest of the Royal Family will continue with their "greeting rituals" - especially with Prince Charles as they have a strong and warm relationship. I think Zara was brought-up to be respectful of others and she would do so without thinking anything of it. Sure she had her wild side (tongue piercing comes to mind), but I can see her, and her cousins, continuing their family greetings - especially those who grew up during the life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

Attachments

• a - a chas.jpg
    a - a chas.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 210
As a bit of a follow-up...

Here is a great picture of Prince Harry greeting his Chatto male cousins with a kiss at the 10th anniversary service for the passing of The Queen Mother.

These guys are second cousins and greet each other in such a warm fashion.

We often see Princes Harry and William greet their father and grandfather in the same way.

I say good for them... the world can do with a little more respect !

Attachments

• a - a Har.jpg
    a - a Har.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • a - a Har 1.jpg
    a - a Har 1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 423
  • a - a Har 2.jpg
    a - a Har 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 304
Remind me again...Chatto are the grandchildren (or great?) from Princess Margaret yes?

LaRae

Remind me again...Chatto are the grandchildren (or great?) from Princess Margaret yes?

LaRae

Yes, P.Margaret's daughter Sarah is married to Daniel Chatto, their children were born in the late 90's

Samuel (b.1996) and Arthur (b. 1999) Chatto are the sons of Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones and her husband Daniel Chatto and are therefore grandchildren of the Late Princess Margaret.

Her other grandchildren from Viscount & Vicountess Linley, are also in the picture - Charles (b.1999) and Margarita Armstrong-Jones (b.2002)

Ah so quite a bit younger than W&H even though of the same generation (2nd cousins). Nice to see that they have warmth between then.

LaRae

Both of the Chatto boys and their cousin Charles Armstrong-Jones were pages of honor to the Queen and of course Margarita Armstrong Jones was in her cousin's William's wedding party.

The Chatto and Linleys are usually at Sandringham every other year for Christmas. David and Sarah spent a lot of their holiday time with the Queen's family growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I do not think that Samuel Chatto has yet been a Page of Honour to HM.
Edit - Samuel may now be too old (and too tall)

Here is a picture with Charles Armstrong-Jones (far left) and Arthur Chatto (far right) as Pages of Honour at the 2012 State Opening of Parliament.

The second is of Arthur Chatto at the 2012 Service for theOrder of the Thistle.

Attachments

• a - Chas AJ Art Chat PofH.jpg
    a - Chas AJ Art Chat PofH.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,548
  • a - Art Chat PofH.jpg
    a - Art Chat PofH.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,255
Last edited:
I'll be more interested to see who curtsies to Camilla.

I am sure these have been posted before but, here are a couple of examples.

(and one for the Duchess of Cambridge too !)

Attachments

• a - a cam.jpg
    a - a cam.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 721
  • a - a cam 1.jpg
    a - a cam 1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 2,026
  • a - a cam 2.jpg
    a - a cam 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,145
Someone , further back int this thread, asked about whether or not the Duke of Edinburgh extended any more formal curtesies to foreign monarchs.

Here is the link to a YouTube clip where HRH gives a definite neck bow to the King of Bahrain when he visited the Royal Windsor Horse Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5ps-tdTSk

I think that Zara and the rest of the Royal Family will continue with their "greeting rituals" - especially with Prince Charles as they have a strong and warm relationship. I think Zara was brought-up to be respectful of others and she would do so without thinking anything of it. Sure she had her wild side (tongue piercing comes to mind), but I can see her, and her cousins, continuing their family greetings - especially those who grew up during the life of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
Zara, even as a wild child observed the courtesies of life, so Charles got a curtsey (which I saw on a video the year she was filmed doing this), kiss and hug, and then she promptly sat on his knee!

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Royal+Ascot+2008+Day+1+yfDBmS3c4f7l.jpg

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Zara+Phillips+Prince+Charles+Royal+Ascot+2008+4aYfwv9YpQSl.jpg

I love that they are all a lot closer than people give them credit for. Those photos of Harry and the Chatto lads are more than an eye opener for those that think the extended family don't really even know each other.

Love these pictures of Zara and her uncle.

Kissing is okay. Me and and my brother kiss and hug our grandparents too.

Kissing is okay. Me and and my brother kiss and hug our grandparents too.

But the difference is that your grandparents are not a queen and her consort. The British Royal Family has their own customs and dynamics as a family.

Sincerely, I don't think it's up to anyone to say if it's okay or not for The Queen's grandchildren to bow and curtsey to her or not.

Every family has their own customs. When greeting my dearly beloved great-grandmother, one of the kindest and most self-effacing people I've met we always first shook her hand before being warmly embraced by her. It was very old-fashioned but just the way it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:

Surely the children/grandchildren/other relatives are greeting senior royals both personally (kiss/hug) and for their rank (bow/head bow or curtsey)

I watched the PoW/Duchess of Cornwall trip to Ireland today and both the grandson of Mountbatten (?Knatchbull) and his wife kissed and then head bow/curtseyed to Charles and Camilla.

This is their norm. It indicates personal relationship and then respect for their position.

I like it.

From what I have seen this is usually the norm - especially when royals are greeting family or other royals with which they have a close relationship.

It is usually (for the ladies) a kiss on both cheeks, a kiss on the back of the hand and then a curtsy or neck-bow.

For the men, a handshake, perhaps the double kiss if they are very close, and then a neck-bow.

If you watch coverage of the Diamond Jubilee Monarchs Lunch arrivals you can see the European Royals greet each other more closely than say the Middle-Eastern or African royals.

There is a good clip earlier in the thread but I could not quickly track it down.

I tracked down the Monarchs Luncheon video.
It was originally posted by Nico.
Thread #2026 (top right corner) on page 102.
As he calls it "A complete Bowing/curtseying/kissing/Handshaking festival from 2012"

I tracked down the Monarchs Luncheon video.
It was originally posted by Nico.
Thread #2026 (top right corner) on page 102.
As he calls it "A complete Bowing/curtseying/kissing/Handshaking festival from 2012"

Such a great video. Plus it gives everyone another chance to see the queen of Swaziland's shoes!

That boy was just soo adorable... I think he made several news :D

Is the protocol of course but is a little funny even Mathilde and Haakon i think is laugh.

Is the protocol of course but is a little funny even Mathilde and Haakon i think is laugh.

Mette-Marit seems to like curtsying as she did it even to President Obama!

As a general rule, bowing and curtsying to the royals is now rarely used by the general public in Belgium, the Netherlands, or Sweden, but members of other royal families still routinely bow/curtsy to the Belgian, Dutch or Swedish king and queen consort. I recall for example William and Kate bowing/curtsying to King Philippe and Queen Mathilde in the recent celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I in Belgium and CP Mary of Denmark curtsied to Willem-Alexander and Maxima in their recent state vist to Copenhaguen.

In the SVT video of Carl Philip's wedding, you can also see Sophie and Edward curtsying/bowing to King Carl Gustaf when he enters the church.

Back
Top Bottom